Dreadful January window our downfall (1 Viewer)

Grendel

No I didn't but ok...
Who was available that we could have signed then?

Again this is ridiculous - you have Claimed we couldn’t afford strikers of championship quality - we clearly could. No one knew James was coming till a few days before - the owners job is to fund survival not just lie back and plan the next season in Birmingham

not good enough

Frostie

Again this is ridiculous - you have Claimed we couldn’t afford strikers of championship quality - we clearly could. No one knew James was coming till a few days before - the owners job is to fund survival not just lie back and plan the next season in Birmingham

not good enough

No, I said there was nobody available we could have signed - yes budget is obviously the main part of that but other reasons too.

We obviously wouldn't throw £30k p/w at any player, it would be utterly nonsensical to do so but, hypothetically if you say we could afford Glenn Murray;
What was his signing on fee?
What was his agents fees?
What bonuses are in his contract?
Is he entitled to an extension if they stay up?

Grendel

No, I said there was nobody available we could have signed - yes budget is obviously the main part of that but other reasons too.

We obviously wouldn't throw £30k p/w at any player, it would be utterly nonsensical to do so but, hypothetically if you say we could afford Glenn Murray;
What was his signing on fee?
What was his agents fees?
What bonuses are in his contract?
Is he entitled to an extension if they stay up?

What’s the financial cost of relegation?

stay_up_skyblues

Would signing one player guarantee survival?
The fact you are unable to name a single player we could have signed kind of says it all.

Said player would also need to accept he may be sat on the bench after a few weeks when one or both of the first choice strikers return from injury.

procdoc

What’s the financial cost of relegation?
That wasn’t his question. If you are going to argue with Frostie about this stuff at least answer his questions instead of deflecting with a counter-question. You sound like a politician

cc84cov

Our transfer business this season:

I have gone through the players and given my own verdict (I am sure people will agree/disagree at their own will which is fine). A tick has gone to a player who I think has made a positive impact on the first team following promotion. A cross for a player who has not. I have also added a strike for a player who I think the jury is still out on. My findings are a bit worrying.

✅ Gustavo Hamer - Very good signing.

✅ Callum O'Hare - Clearly has a lot of talent and works very hard. Probably one of our best players when it clicks, but some serious questions over his final product. Considering we are looking almost entirely at him to make something happen, it is worrying.

✅ Leo Östigard - At times he has been incredible, but considering how many headers he wins, he should have scored many more goals. Definitely a lot of potential with him.

✅ Matty James - Looks good. In the game against Watford he was impressive.

❓ Julien Da Costa - Been a complete sick note to be honest. Has shown some real quality in the last 3 games, but it is already mid-February.

❓ Viktor Gyökeres - We have been in dire need of a striker. We sign this guy, and it is hard to have an opinion. Robins isn't really playing him. What is the point? An injured Biamou is playing ahead of him.

❓ Tyler Walker - Looked good in spells, but I think the jury is still very much out. Been injured a lot (yes, I know catching Covid etc isn't necessarily his fault), but it is hard for me to rate a player who we haven't seen an awful lot of still.

❓ Ben Sheaf - Looked good in spells, also has had a lot of mistakes in him. Again, jury is probably still out.

❌ Ryan Giles - Bad signing. Didn't get used at all, even when McCallum was the worst player on the pitch. Ended up being recalled and has scored two goals for a relegation rival.

❌ Sam McCallum - He is very young still, but I have not been very impressed at all. Been a weak link a lot of the time.

❌ Josh Reid - Not signed for the first team really.

❌ Marcel Hilßner - Had some illness with his lungs, but then was loaned to League 2. Robins has said he isn't sure he is up to the level required. Why sign him then?

❌ Fabio Tavares - Not signed for the first team really.

❌ Lee Camp - Didn't play once.

You then have Gervane Kastaneer from last season who has been a flop. Jobello who is back from injury and not playing (not sure why). Josh Eccles has been recalled from playing regular football only to rot in the under 23s.

As I said, I know not everyone will agree with what I have said, but even if I was to be only slightly wrong, that ratio still looks worrying to me. I think some serious questions need asking.
The fact robins wanted to keep robins shows he wasn’t a bad signing

Grendel

The fact you are unable to name a single player we could have signed kind of says it all.

Not really that’s the clubs job but if you think there is not a single player in the country who could have improved us then we’ll what can I say

Frostie

Not really that’s the clubs job but if you think there is not a single player in the country who could have improved us then we’ll what can I say

Well they identified the best fit was Gyökeres. Let's hope he comes good or Walker can hit the ground running.

Grendel

Well they identified the best fit was Gyökeres. Let's hope he comes good or Walker can hit the ground running.

it’s a highlight of the disconnect when a hedge fund owns a football club

Otis

I can't see how you can put X's against the players we have brought in for the development squad, Reid and Tavares. We should always be looking for them and be looking to the future. Dacosta is back now and looking good too. Looking like he could be an excellent signing.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I can't see how you can put X's against the players we have brought in for the development squad, Reid and Tavares. We should always be looking for them and be looking to the future. Dacosta is back now and looking good too. Looking like he could be an excellent signing.

Read my post again.

I highlighted that an X was a signing that had not impacted the first team in a positive way. If we are looking at our transfer business and we are spending money on players that are for the development squad, they still need to be included in the analysis.

JulianDarbyFTW

I'm not sure I agree with whoever said we'd lose our better players if we went down. Who would we lose? Probably not Marosi, DaCosta, McFadz, Hyam, Allen, Shipley, Kelly, Godden and Walker. Dabo and Rose both recently signed new contracts, so they may stay. The only ones I can see us losing are Hamer, James, Sheaf, and possibly O'Hare. So we'd be left with most of the first team we went up with last time, plus Walker, minus a handful of midfielders. I expect we'd be one of the bookies favourites to bounce straight back.

cc84cov

I'm not sure I agree with whoever said we'd lose our better players if we went down. Who would we lose? Probably not Marosi, DaCosta, McFadz, Hyam, Allen, Shipley, Kelly, Godden and Walker. Dabo and Rose both recently signed new contracts, so they may stay. The only ones I can see us losing are Hamer, James, Sheaf, and possibly O'Hare. So we'd be left with most of the first team we went up with last time, plus Walker, minus a handful of midfielders. I expect we'd be one of the bookies favourites to bounce straight back.
Walker reportedly on £7.5k a week can’t see him staying,books need balancing etc no fans the squad will be depleted

mark82

With the way we're playing, yes, a goalscorer probably would. They've taken a gamble that could cost us at least 6 - 7 million if they get it wrong.

Grendel

With the way we're playing, yes, a goalscorer probably would. They've taken a gamble that could cost us at least 6 - 7 million if they get it wrong.

not really the cost of relegation is the same

higgs

The likes Kiefer Moore in this division makes all the difference if we stay up I'd try get James Collins and Liam walsh in on frees for a start

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Frostie

It's a bit of a myth this as you can't rely on one player to score all of your goals.
There's obviously the exceptions to this but most teams share the goals around. To give you an idea, there's only 6 players in double figures for the whole division so far.

cc84cov

The likes Kiefer Moore in this division makes all the difference if we stay up I'd try get James Collins and Liam walsh in on frees for a start

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
We need better than Collins,if we stay up
If only he would fucking shoot occasionally
We seen him shooting today a couple of times one nearly went for a throw another went miles over

cc84cov

Not sure about walker being better than max at this level as max offers all round wise more.

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 11652

This isn’t true at all. If we go down, it’ll be because of our bad luck with injuries

clint van damme

Not sure about walker being better than max at this level as max offers all round wise more.

sorry mate but he's a far better player, and he's still unproven at this level.
His movement and hold up play when he came on yesterday was light years ahead of Maxs.

Otis

Read my post again.

I highlighted that an X was a signing that had not impacted the first team in a positive way. If we are looking at our transfer business and we are spending money on players that are for the development squad, they still need to be included in the analysis.
Okay. I did miss the bit about "first team" exclusively.

covboy1987

The defence was appalling today but generally I think the goalkeeper (who was also very poor today), the back five and the two holding midfielders are more than good enough for this level. The front three are nowhere near this level though.
This is a good summing up - i agree - except one thing to add what about a bit of lady look - 18 times we have hit the woodwork this season if half of them had gone in where in the table would we be

clint van damme

This is a good summing up - i agree - except one thing to add what about a bit of lady look - 18 times we have hit the woodwork this season if half of them had gone in where in the table would we be

I don't know how anyone can think our back 5 is good enough, Only Wycombe and Huddersfield have conceded more.
I wasn't expecting them to be Championship standard and it's going to take time to evolve the squad but changes to the defence will be as vital as changes to the attack if we stay up.

Users who are viewing this thread