England v Pakistan (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

You always bat first when ahead in a series unless the wicket is hugely problematic.

The oval pitch always has even bounce and the wicket didn't get any of the first 5 out - just poor batting and certainly nothing to do with swing bowling - we saw the same debacle in the second innings as well.

As stated in the first test England have issues. They have 3 batsman who are playing poorly and don't look test pedigree. The decision to totally isolate Ian Bell looks highly questionable.

England have individuals to thank for the drawn series. Woakes had a dream series and without him we'd probably have lost it fairly easily.

You can't have 3 batsman in the top order misfiring time and time again and hope to win. England were complacent and a bit arrogant I think in this test. They should have made changes and solidified the batting.

Bothams comments show why he was, despite bring an excellent cricket icon, a disaster as a captain. No captain on earth would have put the opposition in - other than him and probably Geoff Boycott.

England got lucky with Woakes,Ali and Bairstow adding lots of runs, I wouldn't think Vince scored more than 100 runs in the whole series and why you would pick Ballance I have no idea.

Otis

England got lucky with Woakes,Ali and Bairstow adding lots of runs, I wouldn't think Vince scored more than 100 runs in the whole series and why you would pick Ballance I have no idea.
Think we preserved with Vince due to England doing well overall in the series, but he looked short of international quality to me.

Seemed to be a lack of mental strength needed to cut out the range of rash shots.

Otis

Show me how many teams bat second when ahead in a series in the last test - I would bet it's never happened more than 10 times in the last 50 years.
Doesn't matter. You choose for the game you are playing now, not based in what has gone on before.

If Cook did that why doesn't he keep setting targets way past what anyone has ever achieved in terms of run chases?

Not going to argue with you. As the reporter from the Guardian said on Thursday, 'There is a bit of rain and cloud, but in spite of the grass on the wicket and the overhead conditions, Cook has decided to bat.'

Pakistan said they would have batted first too, but that was based on their spinners bowling in the 4th innings on what would have been a deteriorating pitch.

England don't have the quality of spin attack.

Grendel

Doesn't matter. You choose for the game you are playing now, not based in what has gone on before.

If Cook did that why doesn't he keep setting targets way past what anyone has ever achieved in terms of run chases?

Not going to argue with you. As the reporter from the Guardian said on Thursday, 'There is a bit of rain and cloud, but in spite of the grass on the wicket and the overhead conditions, Cook has decided to bat.'

Pakistan said they would have batted first too, but that was based on their spinners bowling in the 4th innings on what would have been a deteriorating pitch.

England don't have the quality of spin attack.

A captain ahead in a series and putting the opposition in and then seeing them win would rightly not be the captain in the winter.

When you refer to Pakistan and "their" spinners - they have one.

Users who are viewing this thread