European championships 2020 thread (10 Viewers)

Evo1883

Apparently in the coming world rankings

England move up to 3 , Italy move up to 5 šŸ¤”
Ā 

Ccfcisparks

It shouldnā€™t of been left to pens we had the bench to win it but we sat for far too long
Still think that last 10 of extra time where they were sat back wanting penalties we should have just stuck it on them. We were too passive and fancied our chances at penalties.
Ā 

Skybluefaz

Chiellini and Bonnucci are incredible, the Italian cynicism is a skill in itself. Chiellini taking the yellow but being in full control when pulling the shirt of Saka is case in point. Everything is controlled and has a purpose. Part of the Italian make up though. Can we ever be like that? We'd get to more finals if we can.
Ā 

Sick Boy

Chiellini and Bonnucci are incredible, the Italian cynicism is a skill in itself. Chiellini taking the yellow but being in full control when pulling the shirt of Saka is case in point. Everything is controlled and has a purpose. Part of the Italian make up though. Can we ever be like that? We'd get to more finals if we can.
Thereā€™s an Italian word ā€˜furboā€™ which describes it perfectly. Itā€™s seen as something admirable and is part of wider society.
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

Proud of the lads, and it was an enjoyable tournament. The real football starts back in 4 weeks though. Cannot wait.

Thatā€™s the first England tournament the missus has got properly invested in and she was in tears for a fair bit. For me itā€™s the 6th time Iā€™ve seen them lose on penalties, admittedly the first time missing 3 in a row, but once itā€™s gone itā€™s gone. Itā€™s for Southgate to go away and reflect on the mistakes made, for everyone else there isnā€™t much benefit going over how the advantage was squandered twice.

Hopefully CCFC sign some CBs to play at the CBS along with a few LBs and a CM to replace MJ.
Ā 

Brighton Sky Blue

That happens everywhere to be honest, a professional knows when to take one for the team
Ā 
Just catching up after last night. I thought it was a shame we didn't play the same football as we have all tournament. Italy were filthy and it looked like their dirty tactics put some fear into the lads.

I'm not sure why you'd have young Saka taking number 5. He will be devastated now and it's not really his fault. He had the weight of a nation on his shoulder and it's going to leave him with a sour taste after a fantastic tournament. I'll be honest after seeing Kane's pen I didn't see how we could win. A powerful shot into the bottom corner and Donnaruma still nearly got to it.

Overall impressed with our country in this tournament, we got a big monkey off our backs with the Germany win and I think we could do some damage at the World Cup next year.
Ā 

CJ_covblaze

Not with the same level of control. Nowhere near.

Youā€™ve got to give it to him. He knew heā€™d get a yellow. Best thing for him to happen in that situation. If he hadnā€™t got that card he wouldā€™ve been off in the next break of play.

Him and Bonnuci were slow as tortoises but still looked absolutely class from about 30-40 mins in. Mancini changed one or two things and they both had our number particularly from the second half onwards.
Ā 

Skybluefaz

Youā€™ve got to give it to him. He knew heā€™d get a yellow. Best thing for him to happen in that situation. If he hadnā€™t got that card he wouldā€™ve been off in the next break of play.

Him and Bonnuci were slow as tortoises but still looked absolutely class from about 30-40 mins in. Mancini changed one or two things and they both had our number particularly from the second half onwards.
12 major finals they've made now is it?! outside of the 90's I don't think they would ever have been considered to have the best squad of players but as a collective they are pretty much always competitive, bar the blip they had in not qualifying for Russia. Mentality giants, masters of the dark arts. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at them to try and ensure it didn't get to penalties cos we were never going to win a shootout against them.
Ā 

CCFCSteve

Great tournament and the lads did us proud. Of course theres frustration, most of us probably wanted to change things up earlier in the second halfā€¦but then again how many times has Southgate made right calls to get us to that point (Rice and Phillips were immense yesterday and not many wouldā€™ve had them in as a midfield pairing before tournament)

Ifs and buts but Rashfords pen was so close and if thatā€™s in all the pressure on their next taker. Fine margins !

ps Jorginho lucky to stay on after challenge on Grealish, donā€™t think it was intentional but seen plenty of sendings off for that type of challenge this season. Also, some proper Italian old school stuff during the game but ultimately they deserved to nick it
Ā 

Sky Blue Pete

Well some right old nonsense on here

In the end itā€™s our most successful tournament for over half a century and the youngest squad in the competition

Southgate by a country mile is the best manager for as long as I remember - penalties is a lottery and thatā€™s it

Canā€™t be bothered with the rubbish here and certainly social media - just embarrassing
Who are you and what have you done with Grendel??? Completely agree
Ā 

cc84cov

Seeing the emotion on my kids faces after pens after the great start reminded me of how I felt at euro 96 still to this day I remember that feeling,itā€™s crazy at the start it was just another tournament but like 2018 it just gets into your heart and your swept away with a feeling of sadness once itā€™s ended but as football fans we wouldnā€™t change it for the world...our day will come šŸ“󠁧󠁢󠁄󠁮󠁧ó æšŸ¦ā¤ļø
Ā 

Paul Anthony

Well, now the dust has settled, I'm still angry.

I can't believe that the way we started, had them on the ropes, scored, and clearly had an effective game plan. Then, after half an hour we started sitting back. And it was obvious to everyone that we were allowing Italy the chance to get on the ball, get into a rhythm, find some momentum. OK, you want to see your lead through to half time. But, at half time surely the discussion had to be we can't afford to let them come on to us so much, get back to running at them. And if that means changes, subs, you have to make them. When we didn't do that, Italy took the tactical advantage, and we ended up looking lost. Obviously a manager with the valuable experience of Mancini is going to know how to make the right changes, but we didnā€™t respond. And that was forme the big problem. We surrendered the tactical advantage to a man with a level of experience to punish us for it and he did.

Obviously the penalties is a whole other issue, but again lessons have to be learned.

I'm not going to knee jerk and say Southgate out, I don't think that helps at all. And I certainly don't (edit thank you, SwiftKey...) think anyone deserves racial abuse, that's just pond life behaviour and as low as it gets. But clearly there are important lessons for him to learn about how we manage games against teams of this calibre. Sitting as deep as we were was never going to end well, and with the Quality of options we had available off the bench, we had to use it earlier.
Ā 
Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Mount isnā€™t good enough mate we need better play Grealish or Foden at 10
For sure that's what I said, that's why I suggested dropping Mount into a deeper position as Phillips and Rice are even worse footballers than Mount

If there is someone better who can play a box to box midfield role alongside Bellingham I'm all for them playing and dropping Mount completely
Ā 

TM8792

Southgate got the formation and tactics all wrong. We played them off the park at the start and then spent 60 mins + extra time desperately trying not to concede. Just shite. For me we need to get rid of him. His win vs a shite Germany side is the only time weā€™ve beaten a half-decent side in an important match during his reign.

Fair play to those who jibbed it yesterday. That video of England fans attacking those without tickets is truly pathetic.
Ā 

Users who are viewing this thread