European championships 2020 thread (8 Viewers)

ENGLAND have just gone a full knockout tournament without losing in 90 minutes.

ENGLAND have gone a full knockout tournament and only conceded 1 goal from open play

ENGLAND have gone a full knockout tournament and only conceded 2 goals.

ENGLAND beat GERMANY when it matters.

Proud of the lads, Lions roar on to 2022 Qatar.

Mr Panda

As good as Kalvin Phillips and Rice have been this tournament, I'd love for a Veratti style player to come in and just knit everything together.

Not sure we have that right now in this country but theres a huge opportunity for someone who just comes short, offers themselves, totally confident taking the ball and keeping it moving.

baldy

ENGLAND have gone a full knockout tournament and only conceded 1 goal from open play

AND you’ve EMPHASISED your use of the word England enough to let US ALL KNOW

SBAndy

As good as Kalvin Phillips and Rice have been this tournament, I'd love for a Veratti style player to come in and just knit everything together.

Not sure we have that right now in this country but theres a huge opportunity for someone who just comes short, offers themselves, totally confident taking the ball and keeping it moving.

With 18 months more of top-tier football under his belt, is Bellingham that player?

NorthernWisdom

It's easy to say with hindsight but, would you have expected both Rashford and Sancho to miss? Saka's also looked confident all tournament, showing bravery to run with the ball and create - maybe he was buzzing to take one before the event? 19, could have been a hero.

If they really have practised them a lot in training, then maybe they stood out as the obvious choices? Sterling's penalty record ain't great after all, and we're not full of regular penalty takers!

cc84cov

Southgate got the formation and tactics all wrong. We played them off the park at the start and then spent 60 mins + extra time desperately trying not to concede. Just shite. For me we need to get rid of him. His win vs a shite Germany side is the only time we’ve beaten a half-decent side in an important match during his reign.

Fair play to those who jibbed it yesterday. That video of England fans attacking those without tickets is truly pathetic.
And replace him with who ?

dubcov

could of been askin him anything in fairness. ‘ are u ok with saka takin number 5?’ to which grealish replies, hells yea

1ccfc

Southgate has gone public saying he chose the penalty takers. I must admit when I saw Grealish on camera I thought he being being asked, looks like he was being told.

Southgate has gone public saying he chose the penalty takers. I must admit when I saw Grealish on camera I thought he being being asked, looks like he was being told.
In that case I really can't understand why Saka was number 5. Did he just want someone else to feel as shit as he has since missing the pen?

What 19 year old can handle that pressure? You need a cool, experienced head on that one.

Johnnythespider

One of the things that peed me off with Southgate last night was his refusal to take Mount off earlier, who was pretty ineffective all night. Should have brought Grealish on much sooner.
Yes we were getting deeper and deeper and needed someone who could get on the ball further up the pitch and give us time to push up, last night was disappointing but not wholly unexpected, plenty to work with going into the world cup

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Very disappointing.

Great start and the wing back formation was causing them all sorts of problems. Then after about half hour they started to get into it and we never reacted and lost control of the game.

Their goal had been coming for a long while yet we hadn't tried to stop or change it. Chiesa was a menace.

Subs were wrong IMO. With an ageing Chiellini and Bonucci I expected Sterling to be getting at them but he just spent the entire game falling over when he got the slightest touch and the ref was giving him nothing. Kane was ineffective but he wasn't getting a huge amount of support.

I also expected Grealish and Sancho to be giving at least 20 minutes to get at them too off the bench, esp when they were booked, but he didn't. Grealish looked proper pissed off. I'm a fan of Saka and I don't know if he just got overwhelmed but he just wasn't at the races at all. Was doing that Shipley thing of running towards players but making sure he wasn't close enough to challenge or bottled it. Just seemed a passenger. Also made it incredible that he was a penalty taker when he looked overawed during the game. Fair play to him for taking one but he shouldn't have.

Really surprised he took of Henderson to make changes ready for penalties. As such an experienced head I'd have had him down as a surefire taker. Rashford has missed a few with that stupid run-up and Sancho may as well have walked up to Donnarumma and told him where he was putting that penalty.

Bit annoyed at the hypocrisy of the Italian's complaints of cheating given their antics. Chiellini's pull back was about a blatant as it gets and that tackle by Jorginho was a horror tackle straight red every day of the week and he knew it, so he threw himself on the floor pretending to be injured to get sympathy and it may have worked. Why the hell VAR didn't get involved to get the ref to reconsider I cannot imagine.

Got further than expected and Italy were, for me, the most impressive team in the tournament overall but it's so dissapointing to have got that far and then to make such a tactical balls-up of it in the final.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Rashford's penalty record is one of the best in the squad.

That stuttering run up he and Pogba does disrupts your rhythm and makes it harder to strike the ball, which given he missed the target shows. You can't get as much power on it and so if a keeper can hold his nerve and not go early it actually gives more time to save it. It's like a panenca - it looks good if it works but you look an absolute idiot if you don't.

Reactions: COV

cc84cov

That stuttering run up he and Pogba does disrupts your rhythm and makes it harder to strike the ball, which given he missed the target shows. You can't get as much power on it and so if a keeper can hold his nerve and not go early it actually gives more time to save it. It's like a panenca - it looks good if it works but you look an absolute idiot if you don't.
He waits for keeper to commit I think he was going to his right at first but changed it last min and put too much on it they were brought on far too late and when we was defending a corner ffs

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Very disappointing.

Great start and the wing back formation was causing them all sorts of problems. Then after about half hour they started to get into it and we never reacted and lost control of the game.

Their goal had been coming for a long while yet we hadn't tried to stop or change it. Chiesa was a menace.

Subs were wrong IMO. With an ageing Chiellini and Bonucci I expected Sterling to be getting at them but he just spent the entire game falling over when he got the slightest touch and the ref was giving him nothing. Kane was ineffective but he wasn't getting a huge amount of support.

I also expected Grealish and Sancho to be giving at least 20 minutes to get at them too off the bench, esp when they were booked, but he didn't. Grealish looked proper pissed off. I'm a fan of Saka and I don't know if he just got overwhelmed but he just wasn't at the races at all. Was doing that Shipley thing of running towards players but making sure he wasn't close enough to challenge or bottled it. Just seemed a passenger. Also made it incredible that he was a penalty taker when he looked overawed during the game. Fair play to him for taking one but he shouldn't have.

Really surprised he took of Henderson to make changes ready for penalties. As such an experienced head I'd have had him down as a surefire taker. Rashford has missed a few with that stupid run-up and Sancho may as well have walked up to Donnarumma and told him where he was putting that penalty.

Bit annoyed at the hypocrisy of the Italian's complaints of cheating given their antics. Chiellini's pull back was about a blatant as it gets and that tackle by Jorginho was a horror tackle straight red every day of the week and he knew it, so he threw himself on the floor pretending to be injured to get sympathy and it may have worked. Why the hell VAR didn't get involved to get the ref to reconsider I cannot imagine.

Got further than expected and Italy were, for me, the most impressive team in the tournament overall but it's so dissapointing to have got that far and then to make such a tactical balls-up of it in the final.

I agree with a lot of that.

It really did feel like ours to lose for a lot of the game. Felt like Robins when he makes subs too late. As for the penalties, I wouldn't have had Henderson to take one, but surely there were better options than the players that missed.

We could have won last night and it is really frustrating.

NorthernWisdom

He still has one of the best penalty records in the squad.

In fact, bar Kane, he's the only one who's ever really taken penalties in competition in any kind of numbers.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He waits for keeper to commit I think he was going to his right at first but changed it last min and put too much on it they were brought on far too late and when we was defending a corner ffs

Don't like that - changing your mind. Make the decision and go for it. If the keeper pulls off the save, fair play to him. He was looking at the keeper, not the ball, when he struck it and with those stupid steps it makes it so much easier to mishit it anyway, let alone changing your mind half way through.

cc84cov

It really did feel like ours to lose for a lot of the game. Felt like Robins when he makes subs too late. As for the penalties, I wouldn't have had Henderson to take one, but surely there were better options than the players that missed.

You didn’t see Italy sending their kids up for pens but it is what it is we should of had enough Mancini out done Southgate

cc84cov

Don't like that - changing your mind. Make the decision and go for it. If the keeper pulls off the save, fair play to him. He was looking at the keeper, not the ball, when he struck it and with those stupid steps it makes it so much easier to mishit it anyway, let alone changing your mind half way through.
That’s how he takes them but I agree put your foot through it clean connection

Brighton Sky Blue

Fortune favours the brave and Mancini was braver than Southgate when it mattered. What stood out for me was constantly communicating with individual players and trying to solve problems with them. Southgate strikes a calm figure but seemed very reserved when it seems like the players needed more direct input.

COV

Thats all very well and good, however another correct way of looking at is is:

ENGLAND fail to win a tournament again

ENGLAND have the strongest squad but fail to utilise it in the final after breezing through the previous rounds

ENGLAND once again bottle it when the pressure is on

ENGLAND have the best chance ever to win a major trophy and blow it

ENGLAND bring the whole thing upon themselves by basically downing tools after 25 minutes

There is no nation on earth that bottles it as much as we do, our international record is utterly pathetic

Southgate is the right man, no doubt about that, however if he hasn't learned some serious lessons from 2018 and this tournament then we are just going to keep failing.

Sorry, but to have that route to the final and then chuck it it the way we did and put that kind of pressure on Saka, ultimately thats a big stonking FAILURE for me, one that we totally brought on ourselves.[/QUOTE]

Grendel

Fortune favours the brave and Mancini was braver than Southgate when it mattered. What stood out for me was constantly communicating with individual players and trying to solve problems with them. Southgate strikes a calm figure but seemed very reserved when it seems like the players needed more direct input.

Not really - you need luck in a tournament- the goal was a scramble and in normal time other than a fairly routine Pickford save we were comfortable

Mancini had huge luck in the semis and even against Austria they weren’t convincing

COV

It's easy to say with hindsight but, would you have expected both Rashford and Sancho to miss? Saka's also looked confident all tournament, showing bravery to run with the ball and create - maybe he was buzzing to take one before the event? 19, could have been a hero.

If they really have practised them a lot in training, then maybe they stood out as the obvious choices? Sterling's penalty record ain't great after all, and we're not full of regular penalty takers!

In that kind of pressure its more about experience and mentality than ability. You can practise your fancy runups all you want on the training ground but when you're taking one for real you just need to go Maguire style.

covmark

After the game it looked like Trippier was having a go at Southgate. Anyone else notice that?

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

COV

I agree with this- the match stats suggest we were totally dominated, and it didn't need to be that way, I still think we had a better team & squad.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not really - you need luck in a tournament- the goal was a scramble and in normal time other than a fairly routine Pickford save we were comfortable

Mancini had huge luck in the semis and even against Austria they weren’t convincing

The goal was poor but it wasn’t undeserved. We’d made the decision to protect the lead for the second half and it allowed the pressure to build. Can’t really dismiss 34 games unbeaten in a row as luck.

Users who are viewing this thread