Fan owned club (1 Viewer)

NTFC

Isn't it time you guys cut ties completely with these SISU sharks and just set up your own phoenix club? I know it is a scary move but with your passion it is infinitely doable. A chance to build the club to the true values of the Sky Blues and your proud city.

I'm sure Supporters Direct would help you every step of the way, as would the network of fan's owned clubs across Europe.

http://www.supporters-direct.org/

SkyBlueSwiss

I've been saying this since SISU first started talking about "buying" our club, and mostly I have been shot down by the "real" fans.
If this mess continues, perhaps more people would be in favour of Coventry Phoenix FC.

NTFC

Honestly mate setting up your own club cannot be easier these days. So many other clubs are doing it and Supporters Direct are set up for exactly that reason. Kill of the parasites and you will start living again.

Otis

I've always been in favour, as long as CCFC no longer exist.

If CCFC now play at Northampton for for 3 years plus, it will almost be like them not existing anymore anyway in many ways.

See no problem with starting a phoenix club and then if new owners of the City come in, merging the two into one and using the smaller club as a feeder/youth/academy type set up.

NTFC

You will never get a better time to do this nor more support with the technicalities. Kill off the parasites and within a few years you will be Coventry City again like Wimbledon are.

Manchester_sky_blue

Just my opinion but id rather support the Sphinx than a newly created club. Seem to be going about things the right way and with bigger crowds could make the conference in short order and turn at least semi-pro. Once in the conference structure its much easier to build and push on, if the crowds stay consistent.

mark82

Just my opinion but id rather support the Sphinx than a newly created club. Seem to be going about things the right way and with bigger crowds could make the conference in short order and turn at least semi-pro. Once in the conference structure its much easier to build and push on, if the crowds stay consistent.

Personally would rather support a fan owned club but any additional support for Sphinx in my eyes is great. They need some investment as at the current time are unable to be promoted due to ground grading.

Manchester_sky_blue

Personally would rather support a fan owned club but any additional support for Sphinx in my eyes is great. They need some investment as at the current time are unable to be promoted due to ground grading.

Sphinx could always offer a fan-share listing scheme, raise investment and become the fan owned club that people seem to want. I just feel that these fan-owned clubs start enthusiastically but then fade as interest drops. People get bored.

NTFC

The sooner your fans realise that YOU are the club and not the players and assorted suits who come and go (after taking what they can) then you will be on the right track.

mark82

Sphinx could always offer a fan-share listing scheme, raise investment and become the fan owned club that people seem to want. I just feel that these fan-owned clubs start enthusiastically but then fade as interest drops. People get bored.

Wimbledon haven't faded. FC United still going ok although attendances have dropped a little.

Would be happy for Sphinx to do that but that has to be their choice. They have a board and fans of their own not fair to just plough in and take over.

NTFC

Not with a club the size of yours. Look at Portsmouth who are doing the same thing.

http://www.pompeytrust.com/

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/celebrations-as-supporters-trust-seal-pompey-deal-1-5021349

Manchester_sky_blue

Wimbledon haven't faded. FC United still going ok although attendances have dropped a little.

Would be happy for Sphinx to do that but that has to be their choice. They have a board and fans of their own not fair to just plough in and take over.

FC United are fading fast, a friend of mine played for them in their early days and is still connected with them and the crowds are really dwindling. Still big issues with building their new stadium too. Wimbledon have done well but then their situation was unique, they were the first team in the modern game to have their franchise totally uprooted.

Agree totally with your comments about Sphinx though, has to be their choice. I just feel that a better supported and funded Sphinx would stand a better chance of long term survival than a totally new Phoenix club.

I saw a letter from their chairman the other day encouraging city fans to go along so they will almost certainly be thinking about ways of drawing in that support long term.

Manchester_sky_blue

Yes but I think it remains to be seen how well it works with Pompey. A lot of the funding has been borrowed from their council and a few wealthy fans. If they don't get success straight away and go back up the leagues they could easily find their crowds dwindling.

The Coventry situation is different though, the administrator of pompey sold the club to the supporters trust, where as we are still owned by SISU. Unless they liquidate us there will not be the opportunity for a fan group to buy the club

Noggin

Thats not the same thing, Portsmouth brought the football club, we can't buy the football club, our football club isn't for sale and when limited was for sale a few weeks ago it was impossible to win a bid against the company that all the debt was owed too unless you wanted to bid tens of millions for something worth nothing like that.

mark82

FC United will become a league club one day and support will increase at that point. They are not really struggling.

Manchester_sky_blue

FC United will become a league club one day and support will increase at that point. They are not really struggling.

If they get their stadium built in the next couple of years then they stand a chance. If not, the crowds will continue to drop and they will fold. Bury have their own financial problems and Gigg Lane is suffering as a result, its not a nice place to go at the moment.

NorthernWisdom

Again, some times it's better to wait.

If/when the club actually dies/has no option to come back then any phoenix club has more chance of success than it does if set up now. the worst thing that could happen is dividing fans. We all want the same thing, our club in Coventry to support and many will have different ideas about how best to do that.

If the club comes back, no need for a phoenix club so current focus should be on the club coming back. if the club dies then there is a need for a phoenix club, but those who felt they couldn't support it until that point then get onside. Don't run before walking.

mark82

If they get their stadium built in the next couple of years then they stand a chance. If not, the crowds will continue to drop and they will fold. Bury have their own financial problems and Gigg Lane is suffering as a result, its not a nice place to go at the moment.

You're right, they need to be in Manchester. They need to be promoted to the BSN too. Spent too long in NPL at the moment.

mark82

If/when the club actually dies/has no option to come back then any phoenix club has more chance of success than it does if set up now. the worst thing that could happen is dividing fans. We all want the same thing, our club in Coventry to support and many will have different ideas about how best to do that.

If the club comes back, no need for a phoenix club so current focus should be on the club coming back. if the club dies then there is a need for a phoenic club, but those who felt they couldn't support it until that point then get onside. Don't run before walking.

Agree to a certain extent. Plans need to be put in place ready first though. Liquidation may be the only way to get rid of SISU and may be on the cards with NOPM, etc..

skybluebeduff

I think we need another poll. I don't know about anyone else but isn't anyone getting sick to the back teeth of being depressed every single time you come onto the internet and read about what SISU have done to us? way over 2190 days they've been here, not ONCE have I woke up in them days to ANY GOOD NEWS, enough is enough!!!

NorthernWisdom

Plans need to be put in place ready first though.

Yeah wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, although could be a distraction and, if liquidation does happen, half a season waiting for the new one to start could be used in a positive way, getting people together to help, allow them all to feel involved, and building anticipation. Leaving organisation to then could actually be a good thing in fostering a sense of togetherness, i think focus is important.

There's also the chance that prepare now and it risks being yet another one of those false scares that ultimately breeds apathy.

Manchester_sky_blue

A new club would be starting from the very bottom of the league ladder though, its how you keep people interested long enough to build your way into a decent league. Not short of other teams in the Midlands that people can go and watch.

Not saying its a bad idea but it has to be planned meticulously and maintain its momentum.

J

Jack Griffin

I've always been in favour, as long as CCFC no longer exist.

If CCFC now play at Northampton for for 3 years plus, it will almost be like them not existing anymore anyway in many ways.

See no problem with starting a phoenix club and then if new owners of the City come in, merging the two into one and using the smaller club as a feeder/youth/academy type set up.

I think a better strategy involves Nuneaton as a club that can get into the league very quickly by playing at the Ricoh and another lower league club that can move into Nuneaton (maybe this Coventry Utd) & climb up the leagues fairly rapidly back to Conference level.

So that is a 2 club idea and a much quicker ascension into the league, crucially before SISU have the chance to build a stadium.

That would totally undermine their plans as announced, which is the objective.. and is reversible as Nuneaton's ground is still there & suitable for a conference side.

Block19

I think starting a New club should be a real option that the trust considers if the trust backed it would get slightly more support. I know it would be long slog 9 seasons back to back promotions and we have no players at the moment, but where do you see coventry city after 3 years playing at sixfields? Properly in division 2 struggling or the worst case non league. Luton town have been non league for years now and we are a simler side to Luton or Wimbledon (one cup success) I think if we move its either start afresh or back the club

Otis

I think a better strategy involves Nuneaton as a club that can get into the league very quickly by playing at the Ricoh and another lower league club that can move into Nuneaton (maybe this Coventry Utd) & climb up the leagues fairly rapidly back to Conference level.

So that is a 2 club idea and a much quicker ascension into the league, crucially before SISU have the chance to build a stadium.

That would totally undermine their plans as announced, which is the objective.. and is reversible as Nuneaton's ground is still there & suitable for a conference side.

I just don't like this idea of us all but taking over another club that is in a completely different town.

Isn't that what Sisu are doing at the moment, taking Coventry City to a different venue away from its home? :thinking about:

NottsCov

I just don't like this idea of us all but taking over another club that is in a completely different town.

Isn't that what Sisu are doing at the moment, taking Coventry City to a different venue away from its home? :thinking about:

Absolutely. Wish people would stop mentioning Nuneaton full stop. Completely disrespectful. 'We'll move Nuneaton here, move 'em there. Merge with Nuneaton...'

SkyBlueSwiss

If the club comes back, no need for a phoenix club so current focus should be on the club coming back. if the club dies then there is a need for a phoenix club, but those who felt they couldn't support it until that point then get onside. Don't run before walking.

North,
The problem is that, as things look at this time, there is no way that our club will ever play at the Ricoh again. I never understood why you and so many others were so fixedly of the opinion that we would be playing at the Ricoh when it was very clear that SISU/Fisher had other plans and had stated in no uncertain terms that they would never play at the Ricoh again, and then you are all of a sudden shocked when it is announced that we will be playing in Northampton.
And surely you must know that the mythical "3 years" is a lie? As several have pointed out, SISU don't even have any land yet, let alone started the process of planning permission, and you must surely also anticipate that getting that permission is going to be difficult, if not impossible?
The upshot is that, should the Football League and the government let SISU get away with this, then that is the end of CCFC as a Coventry-based team for many, many years -maybe for a decade or more. Under those circumstances, they are no longer "Coventry" City, and they are no longer my team. I would support a Phoenix club based in Coventry, no matter how low down the league system they have to start.
My thinking is that our club will die with SISU as owners playing outside of their home town for a decade or more, so we should be getting on with starting the Phoenix club now.
This is my take on things - if your position is different then that is your choice.

J

Jack Griffin

Trouble is Otis, time is a factor.. a plan taking 7 or 8 years would allow SISU to win.

Nuneaton wouldn't die, simply be replaced by the Cov Phoenix club in due time & once again become Nuneaton.

Honestly, I don't perceive a Midland Combination club starting high enough up the pyramid, a direct challenge has to be mounted that would see a new club at the Ricoh inside 5 years.

Otis

And so we then come back to the notion of Cov Sphinx coming over and playing at the Ricoh. They are higher up the pyramid.

It would be Sphinx though and not a new phoenix club and we would all have to accept that.

psgm1

Banned
Not being funny, but why would any coventry city fan support this? It just will not be coventry city ! It cannot possibly be! If I had wanted to follow another football team, then I would. It isn't even as if there aren't football teams in coventry, just none as high up the chain as Coventry City. And the guy saying it is the fans that ultimately make up CCFC is absolutely right. The problem is though the Clique - the very people supposedly sticking up for us, is always referring to sisu as CCFC! It undermines their own argument. I cannot tell you how infuriating it is for thee charlies to constantly refer to sisu as CCFC - they are the owners of Holdings and potentially Ltd - not CCFC! If they cannot even get this fundamental concept right, then what use are they?

And who would run it - the clique? You must be kidding! They have a history of botched campaigns and failed strategies - they have already folded in one guise SOC. And for unity, these people cannot even agree their own strategies - and they are in effect less than 30 active members!

Who would finance this new club? Again certainly not the clique - far too busy wasting money on banners containing campaigns they do not back or approve of (i.e. NOPM - Jan has officially stated they are "running" it, but in the same statement, said they will not back it !) Boy with friends like that who needs enemies. Notice how this campaign is dying a death?

I have spent the vast majority of my life as a Coventry City Suppoprter. Once it has moved out of the city, that bond of loyalty will forever be broken. It just will not be coventry city anymore. Certainly not going to support any club where these no marks would have such a major role in running it that is for sure. If I want to watch football at such a low level, I would support a team much closer to me. Certainly I wouldn't owe any phoenix type club any loyalty. And I am not alone in this.

It is CCFC or nothing for me.

Users who are viewing this thread