Favourite Ever Cov City Player ? (1 Viewer)

wantageskyblue

In the pub on Saturday night a group of us were discussing great players who have turned out for us over the years.
Taking it in turns we had to choose our favourite ever player not necessarily the best. I had a few players in mind but chose George Hudson as mine. A no nonsense centre forward, hard as nails, scoring goals with his head and feet, just a fantastic striker for us.A younger bloke chose Huckerby which was met with approval. So who's your favourite ? Any era.
What a question! So many to choose from - Wallace, Gallagher, Ferguson, Yorath, Huckerby, Boateng, Danny Thomas, Gillespie, Keane and of course Dion. For me though my favourite ever player was Gary Thompson - just loved the way he stalked the opposition’s back four and the fact that he took no sh@! from anyone. Was gutted when we sold him which contributed to the mass exodus of players before Gould became manager for the 1st time.

skyblue025

Tommy Hutch for me. One of my favourite photos is a black and white pic of me and him when City came to open Hinckley leisure centre and i got to train with the team aged 7 or 8.

Terry Gibson's perm

It’s a tough one as I have had favourite players in different times

early on would have been Terry Gibson
Cup final time was David Phillips
Then Phil Babb and Ndlovu
Dublin Keane Hadji Boateng (we really did have some stars around that time and I could probably name many more)
favourite current player would be Michael Rose

I didn’t nearly cry when Gibbo left I was in floods of tears I was gutted my first hero was off and we were get a fat drunk to replace him.

Cranfield Sky Blue

Maybe it’s age, but despite the great players we’ve had over the years (Hutchinson, Dublin, Nilsson etc etc) it’s hard for me to look beyond the 60’s heroes, Hudson, Gibson, Machin, Rees, Willie Carr (who I always pretended to be on a football pitch), big George. The 60’s in Cov, a thriving City and a thriving football club, what a time to be alive! Modern era, was oh ah Lloyd McGrath the best destroyer we ever had?
Modern era??? Over 30 years ago....

ccfcway

Favourite, not best so has to be Speedie then Wise.
I went to games waiting to see what they would do.
After that Gynn, Dublin, Huckerby, for a short time Quinn and really started to like Livingstone, as one of our kids he hit the ground running.
Loads i could say so not really an easy answer. Regis, Bennet were great at the time but can't just say 2nd lot FA Cup winning team lol.
Having lived abroad for 15 years it's hard to judge another player in the lower leagues via internet radio, ifollow and dodgy streams, it's why i don't say much on match threads. If i have to go for a modern day one then (remember you said favourite not best) Doyle for giving it his all like LLoyd McGrath, (not including loan players).
Latest players, then someone like JJ.
I love to see a player who will get me off my seat through his skill or by battling.

Only started following us (not supporting in 86, as my Mum brought me a CCFC tracksuit from one of the sports shops in the city centre (in 86) on sale as end of the season (cost less than a Nike one etc) (it was up a ramp and not their now).
Needed one for PE at school.
From the next season 87, i was hooked (helped that we won the FA Cup), my Mum chose well :) and i don't blame her for every year after (or am i just being nice) lol.

steve livingstone ?. The guy who scored the same amount of goals for us as Kevin Kyle ?

TomRad85

Been a fan since mid-90s. As a kid I was obsessed with Hadji. Something about him being from Morocco, playing in a World Cup. It was so exciting at the time. I still love him.

So for me it's Dublin, Hadji, Robbie Keane or McAllister.

My current favourites are Dabo and Kelly.
You have the same favourite players as me. We must be a similar age.
The 99/00 season was the most memorable season for me, i still find it hard to believe we got relegated the following season, an absolute colossal fuck up.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Kneeza

Ronnie Rees was a particular favourite in my house apparently

edit... ‘my’ house but a good decade before I came along 😄
RR was one of my dad's favourites when I first started supporting. Mind, he always joked that he only started playing about a month before a Wales international game!

Bernie Rhodes Nose

I never get bored of this topic (despite giving more or less the same response). I use to love watching the following: Garry Thompson, Danny Thomas, Cyrille Regis, Dion Dublin and Robbie Keane. But my all time favourite (and I think Otis' choice as well) is STEVIE HUNT.

BornSlippySkyBlue

There are many who played longer for us and are more ‘deserving’, (Wallace, Hutch, Dion, Hucks, Speedo etc) but in terms of pure ability and how gutted I was when he left - Keane for me. Such a good player.

Kneeza

Tommy Hutch for me. One of my favourite photos is a black and white pic of me and him when City came to open Hinckley leisure centre and i got to train with the team aged 7 or 8.
Sorry, off topic. Sad to see that place now as an area of brick ends and litter. How short the life, eh?
At least it's now been replaced with a much better one.

Sbarcher

Nilsson for me - pure class

RegTheDonk

Hutch when I was a kid.

Killer when I was older, 'cause I thought he was a good character.

Dion as perhaps the all rounder.

clint van damme

Before Otis names his player I thought to myself I bet it'll be Steve Hunt ? 🤔

I remember we played villa away and Hunt was playing for them (2nd spell) and there was some Eastern European fella who just kept singing

we hate Stevie hunt
he's a c**t, he's a c**t

all the way through the game.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm going with Nilsson as my absolute favourite. Tons of ability and reading of the game and a consummate pro.

But plenty of others that deserve a mention. On similar lines to Nilsson I've liked Oggy and McGrath. Boateng as well and of course I can't leave out Dublin. In more recent years I was fond of Gunnarsson. Kilcline as well just for the look and being hard as nails and Peake because he was just classy. Would be perfect as a modern defender and worth a fortune.

In terms of excitement Ndlovu, Huckerby (apart from the offsides) and Keane.

Also got to give a shout out to Curtis and Snoz because met them a few times and would happily chat and Alf Wood who took a coaching course when I was a kid and was really nice. Didn't even realise he was an ex-player at the time until I told my nan the coaches name and asked if it was 'Shut yer Legs' Alfie. Andy Blair was always nice when he opened the shop in Cannon Park. Even spotted my mum and nan once when they were in town and came over to ask how they were which was nice of him.

higgs

Dion Dublin was a massive player for us played a big part in keeping us up while he was with us. If he stayed with us for the rest of his career I think he would have legendary status with us by now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread