Favourite Ever Pub And Club ? (1 Viewer)

wingy

Edit :- Sunday morning /Afternoon ---Canley Club.

bringbackrattles

I ain't been down Swan Lane way since the old Highfield Road days. Can't bring myself to go around there and I doubt I ever will again. :(
I was down there a few months ago and stood looking at where the West End was and further down the Spion Kop,left me feeling low and decided never to go there again. Flats and houses where a great football stadium stood !

wingy

I was down there a few months ago and stood looking at where the West End was and further down the Spion Kop,left me feeling low and decided never to go there again. Flats and houses where a great football stadium stood !

Yeah we should have adjusted HR to our needs.
I had cause to be over by the Hawthorns a couple of Fridays back,what a great ground, always Impresses me when I see It full when they're on the box,our could have similar.

olderskyblue

I've got nearly 300 pics of pubs past and present if anyone wants to see any posted as memories. Just as an example..............

The Mercers

You got some of the live and let live Houch? recall you worked there.

olderskyblue

The Tally Ho cellar bar was my hang out with all the other long haired layabouts...

Used to meet my work mates (townies/skin heads) in the thistle on occasions too, then the Mercers, Tuns etc.

bringbackrattles

The Tally Ho cellar bar was my hang out with all the other long haired layabouts...

Used to meet my work mates (townies/skin heads) in the thistle on occasions too, then the Mercers, Tuns etc.
I used to go downstairs in the Tally Ho if I recall they had wooden stumps as seats ? Three Tuns was a good lively pub,and the Jag although that is still there. The City Arms was handy when we used to go in the Locarno,as we popped in for a pint and I remember buying one bloke a beer for his tie one night so I could get in the Rock House !

Covstu

so where is there to drink in town now? We went to the establishment but struggling beyond that.

Sky_Blue_Daz

The courtyard and the Campbell had some great nights in those pubs

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You got some of the live and let live Houch? recall you worked there.

Unfortunately OSB, the Live & Let Live wasn't the sort of pub that had many photos taken of it! :D
However, I have one that shows part of the pub and its location by Deedmore Road island, and yes, you're right, I worked there for about a year in 1971.

olderskyblue

Unfortunately OSB, the Live & Let Live wasn't the sort of pub that had many photos taken of it! :D
However, I have one that shows part of the pub and its location by Deedmore Road island, and yes, you're right, I worked there for about a year in 1971.

I lived 100yds from the livey. You would have certainly served me Houch. My next door neighbour's used to drive up, and have a mackesons sitting in their car in the car park.. :)

LastGarrison

Boring but The Devon and Scholars for me!

With a nod towards The Pippin and The Rose and Crown and G's and the Irish Centre late 90's/early 200's.

bringbackrattles

I walked past that exact spot yesterday and that row of houses is still there,although the pub is now a health centre.
The old Wood End is almost gone now replaced by hundreds of new housing,but there's still characters from the Livvy days still around the area.

Houchens Head

I lived 100yds from the livey. You would have certainly served me Houch. My next door neighbour's used to drive up, and have a mackesons sitting in their car in the car park.. :)

In about 1989, I had a flat literally next door to the "Livey" - No 85 Deedmore Rd. I was only there for about 4 months though, as I was broken into 6 times during that time! Happy days! :)

Houchens Head

Boring but The Devon and Scholars for me!

With a nod towards The Pippin and The Rose and Crown and G's and the Irish Centre late 90's/early 200's.

One of my best mates from school set up and owned Scholars after he sold the Dog & Trumpet. Gus McGrath. Top bloke who sadly died at an early age. :(

wingy

One of my best mates from school set up and owned Scholars after he sold the Dog & Trumpet. Gus McGrath. Top bloke who sadly died at an early age. :(

I've worked with his son Joe, Houch, who also Is a top lad and took on Scholars when his dad passed away.

Houchens Head

I got barred from the Thistle! :claping hands:.
I also spent many a week-end in the cellar bar of the Tally Ho! I remember one Friday or Saturday night, walking down the steps to the bar and a load of my mates almost fell over themselves, scared shitless. I'd had an accident on my motorbike a week or so beforehand but it only made a snippet in the "late news" column in the Telegraph. Of course, rumours spread and everyone assumed I was dead! You should have seen their faces! Class!

Houchens Head

I've worked with his son Joe, Houch, who also Is a top lad and took on Scholars when his dad passed away.

I didn't know Joe, Wingy. I was actually best mates with Tom, his older brother. Me, Tom, Gus and Steve the middle brother, all went out on the lash around Chaplefields only a few months before he died. I couldn't believe the news. I know it's an old cliché, but Gus really was a top bloke.

Houchens Head

It was the downstairs flat BBR. Bars on the window in those days! :claping hands:

LastGarrison

I didn't know Joe, Wingy. I was actually best mates with Tom, his older brother. Me, Tom, Gus and Steve the middle brother, all went out on the lash around Chaplefields only a few months before he died. I couldn't believe the news. I know it's an old cliché, but Gus really was a top bloke.

Completely agree Houch, I was in there pretty much every weekend for years and he was always stood by the door and was nothing but a gentleman shaking your hand and asking how you were. Even let us in free a few times. :D

I don't know his son Joe personally but he is married to my mates sister Helena and again seems a nice guy.

martcov

As an under age we used to go to the Bear as we could get served near the banks by Broadgate although it's no longer there and up to the Climax by the bird cage. Later as a young dude the 2 best pub for girls music etc The Tally Ho and the Smithfield. Then on to the City Centre club. AKA pink parrot later on

was barman at the Climax for a while. Had my 21st upstairs there. Worked unril closing time and then to Mr George or Nello's Bistro opposite the Climax... The bouncers from the clubs used to drink at the Climax and so we got in for free later on.. Used to hang around Craven Street and visit all the pubs around there, in particular the Chestnut Tree, and then go into town ( pissed by then ). Usually the night ended, after Georges or City Centre Club, at the Parson's Nose for faggots peas and chips. Sundays started with Sunday League... Sunday night ended at the Jules Verne or maybe The Nursery Tavern ( a good local pub in Chapelfields )..

Houchens Head

I'll have a good look Houch. There's flats still there in Wexford Road by where the pub stood,you can see them in that bus picture you sent in.

That's my old flat below (highlighted). Where the cars are parked was where the wall of the Livvy car park was, so you can see how close I was!

Capture.jpg Capture 2.jpg

dutchman

The Mermaid Inn in Gosford Street. If you think different it means you've never been inside it. Sadly torn down in 1967 to make way for a totally unnecessary car park.

OzAMp5.jpg

fernandopartridge

When I was past there a few weeks ago they've really done it up in time for the new academic year, might have renamed it again too.

It sells Greek food I believe, I've not been into town for a bit mind. I'll give that a go, now Browns is a go-er you can do a bit of a pub crawl. It looked like they were doing something with the old Gringos last time I walked down Gosford St as well.

fernandopartridge

Completely agree Houch, I was in there pretty much every weekend for years and he was always stood by the door and was nothing but a gentleman shaking your hand and asking how you were. Even let us in free a few times. :D

I don't know his son Joe personally but he is married to my mates sister Helena and again seems a nice guy.

Agreed, I was a regular in Scholars 10-15 years back. Even when visiting for the first time in years you were greated as a regular, top bloke and I don't feel like Scholars is quite the same now, but that may just be coincidence.

CCFCKirky

Watching City I very rarely go for a pint before a game but the best bar I have been to before any sports game was when I was in Belfast a couple of years ago watching Coventry Blaze vs Belfast Giants, their Is a bar in the arena complex called Rockies, it is fantastic sports bar with jerseys from various teams hanging from the rafters, the bar staff were very welcoming and we're just glad to see other teams fans in the bar...... The beer was a decent price also. But in terms of football their is a bar in Southampton called the frog and parrot which is where I stopped off before Saints vs Stoke last season, it is a decent bar with decent food.

duffer

Another one here for Scholars. I used to end up there regularly after drinking all day for home games. Despite being slightly the worse for wear the guys on the door were always great with me, including the boss. Every now and then I'd get in free too.

I use the Nursery and the Hearsall before and after Cov RFC games now but for CCFC I'll drink in town; never could find anywhere close to the Ricoh I particularly like.

You must have some good tales from the Live and Let Live HH, only other place with a reputation like that would be The Chequers I'd fancy. :)

musicmanskyblue

was barman at the Climax for a while. Had my 21st upstairs there. Worked unril closing time and then to Mr George or Nello's Bistro opposite the Climax... The bouncers from the clubs used to drink at the Climax and so we got in for free later on.. Used to hang around Craven Street and visit all the pubs around there, in particular the Chestnut Tree, and then go into town ( pissed by then ). Usually the night ended, after Georges or City Centre Club, at the Parson's Nose for faggots peas and chips. Sundays started with Sunday League... Sunday night ended at the Jules Verne or maybe The Nursery Tavern ( a good local pub in Chapelfields )..

Had some great times at the rock disco upstairs in the Climax..73-76 maybe..

olderskyblue

It was the downstairs flat BBR. Bars on the window in those days! :claping hands:

Bars on the windows? a sure sign you had something worth nicking.. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread