First idols (2 Viewers)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Willie Carr first and foremost, closely followed by Ian Gibson, Ronnie Rees, Ernie Machin, Bobby Gould etc etc. Come to think of it, just about all of that 66/67 team. To do with how old I was at the time, I guess, and that fantastic period.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

Voice_of_Reason

My mum recently sent me a terribly shot video of me at my nursery in ~1989 where I was singing about Greg Downes and waving my little sky blue flag around but that’s almost definitely my dads influence rather than an early contender for idol.

A few years later but still very much a child I made an absolute twat of myself by asking Peter Ndlovu for his signature in a shoe shop in the precinct only to quickly discover that it was not Peter Ndlovu.

I always played in goal for my school football team and so Oggy was probably my biggest hero. I had the opportunity to work at the club for a few months just before SISU arrived and meeting Oggy in person several times never stopped being almost unbearably exciting.

Oh, and Andy Ducros, obviously.
With all the talk of the inevitable departures of Gus and Vik it got me thinking back to my childhood and my first hero. I remember crying my eyes out, aged 9, when Terry Gibson joined Manchester United in 1986. Felt similar devastation when Speedie, Gallacher and Dublin left in later years. There's always a new hero around the corner. I just hope the next ones have a fraction of the ability of our Swede and Brazilian.

On a similar note my youngest (12) is utterly obsessed with Fanky. She missed out on the chance to walk out with him when she was mascot in January as another child wanted to. She sobbed her heart out at the final whistle on Saturday, as many of the tears were for him as they were for her. This was intensified when she stumbled across the racist abuse online he received from a minority of neanderthals. She's already written him a letter to 'cheer him up' and I haven't been brave enough yet to broach the subject that he'll likely be released this week.

It's been a tough couple of days....
Danny Thomas for me

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Are you the oldest living Sky Blues fan?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Fair play VOR got to be close must be older than me (unless his dad took him) and there arn't many on here who can say that.Eddie Brown was early 1950's.I started in 1958.I didn't go till I was 12 as my dad didn't do football then .I got him, son and grandchildren interested.

EalingSB

What a lovely thread. Was a massive fan of Brian Borrows - so elegant, rarely made a mistake and was the consummate professional when handing out trophies at our end-of-season award ceremony when I was about 14. Ndlovu, Huckerby and Keane for getting you off your seat, though.

Happy_Martian

1980 was my first Cov game but as a kid a few years earlier, I was the first to wear the Coventry tramlines kit at my primary school. Shows the era that I took to idolising the players at Highfield Road. Never more obvious when I was allowed to enter the bar area of the Stivichall Arms (back when it was a pub with an off-licence shop) and get the autographs of a rowdy bunch of players on a Saturday evening. Coop, Wallace, Ferguson are the ones I remember but it was an amazing buzz for my 8 yr old self getting to meet these names that I'd only ever heard about on the radio and TV. Still got the autograph book somewhere in the attic.

Happy_Martian

That goal at QPR is hardly mentioned and I'm not sure there is footage of it, but I was there and it was brilliant. I think Seaman was in goal. If I remember correctly it was an early kick off on Boxing Day and hence not many City fans there.

The link is for 25 Speedie goals but that QPR one is in there. The link is time-locked to that classic.

usskyblue

What a special fucking team to see and fall in love with…

…Blyth, Mick sCoop, Bobby Mac, Hutch, Yorath, Barry Powell and the partnership of Wallace & Ferguson.

Many players came and went after that and they became idols too but these were the originals for me.

Hiraeth

First idol was Cyrille Regis, felt he worked so hard for the team and was just an absolute superstar.

After that I really fell in love with watching Steve Froggatt play for us and I really idolised him.
He seemed to be getting better and better and I felt certain he would get in the England Team which felt really important to me after Dublin had left us for Villa.
I hated Nicky Summerbee so much for that tackle and for ending his career and taking all of that away from him. I was utterly devastated. Wasn't until the 2017 interview where Froggatt said he forgave Summerbee that 15 odd years later I felt I could hate him a little less than I had.

Mucca Mad Boys

McSheffrey, Konjic and Gary McAllister (second spell) were my first idols. I was gutted when Konjic went to Derby and McSheffrey sold to Birmingham.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Willie Carr first and foremost, closely followed by Ian Gibson, Ronnie Rees, Ernie Machin, Bobby Gould etc etc. Come to think of it, just about all of that 66/67 team. To do with how old I was at the time, I guess, and that fantastic period.

1980 was my first Cov game but as a kid a few years earlier, I was the first to wear the Coventry tramlines kit at my primary school. Shows the era that I took to idolising the players at Highfield Road. Never more obvious when I was allowed to enter the bar area of the Stivichall Arms (back when it was a pub with an off-licence shop) and get the autographs of a rowdy bunch of players on a Saturday evening. Coop, Wallace, Ferguson are the ones I remember but it was an amazing buzz for my 8 yr old self getting to meet these names that I'd only ever heard about on the radio and TV. Still got the autograph book somewhere in the attic.

The Stivichall Arms, happy memories, use to be my local back in the 70s/80s.

its a buzzard

Stivichall Arms - was that at the bottom of Watercall Ave?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

steve cooper

Neil Martin for me, even though there were lots of great players before him who I thought were brilliant. Martin and Hately (Tony) could/should have been a great pairing but they were a bit too similar.

Users who are viewing this thread