Fisher Plans To Move Jimmy Hill Statue (1 Viewer)

Grendel

What? Logic based on a fairy story cooked up by a loon who works for nobody anyone knows who make money by shifting monies off shore.
Oh dear, and he talks about logic.

And you talk about the Ricoh as if you've actually been there.

dadgad

The memories of the Ricoh would surely make you see it as someone you look to avoid as much as possible.

I am sure it would be the same if an investor bought the club and announced they were looking to build a new stadium as well to benefit the club. Hopefully it will be the end of that dreadful 'take me home' song anyway.

You're missing the point. Home could be ugly, it could be run down, soulless, etc. but if its familiar it becomes "home" - warts and all. It won't be long before a decade has passed and already it has provided young sky blue fans with their formative impressions of football. Whether you care to consider this or not there will be those who'll miss the Ricoh as crap as it is.

chiefdave

seems a bit stupid to have a statue of Jimmy at the Ricoh if the team aren't there anymore. if noone wants it moved to the potential new ground why not move it to the city centre or the highfield road site? At least that way people might see it occasionally.

Delboycov

Let me remind you that we have had no stadium since leaving Highfield Road so what's wrong with wanting one of our own?
The Ricoh is a council owned bowl with no atmosphere and hated according to many on here and we don't own it - its not ours!
That's my point, I welcome a chance at having a stadium of our own, not on loan.
Now IF we could make the Ricoh our own and actually own it outright or at least secure some ownership or a new 99 year lease and all income streams of it then that would be equally welcomed.

I'm not backing SISU's plan I'm merely pointing out the logic.

You're probably one of the best posters here Pax but I cannot see why you are being so positive about the prospect of a stadium being built OUTSIDE Coventry that by all accounts that will hold between 8-12,000 initially. You aspire to be tin pot you become tin pot. Why not just use your undoubted passion to force SISU to think again or better still to get new owners in who have a decent chance of buying in to a premier league standard ground that's in the city that gives most of us our reason for supporting the club?

Spionkop

Willie Stanley, surely you're on a wind up? SISU Raised the cash for the Jimmy Hill statue?! Not in a million years. The idea was first mooted on the old City Telegraph site, still there to read I understand. We pressed Jim Brown on it and as far as I understand it was then taken up by people close to the club and snowballed from there. Donations came mostly from the fans, with some of Jimmy's tv pals, Alan Hansen etc, I hear, contributing. & the PFA of course. They were a big part of his life. Nothing to do with SISU. I can't categorically say they didn't contribute, I don't know. But it was driven by fans and paid largely for by fans.

Brighton Sky Blue

You're probably one of the best posters here Pax but I cannot see why you are being so positive about the prospect of a stadium being built OUTSIDE Coventry that by all accounts that will hold between 8-12,000 initially. You aspire to be tin pot you become tin pot. Why not just use your undoubted passion to force SISU to think again or better still to get new owners in who have a decent chance of buying in to a premier league standard ground that's in the city that gives most of us our reason for supporting the club?

Fisher said in his interview that if we're having a promotion chasing season (big chance of that), we will be raking in crowds of maybe 7,000. That a man with such wild delusions of grandeur sees that as the best case scenario to me says everything. Our crowds would not be sufficient to maintain League 1 football.

Users who are viewing this thread