Football Behaviorism (1 Viewer)

italiahorse

Quite topical at the moment.

Why do people at football matches behave in a manner that they would never dream of as an individual.
Even I will admit to singing in the crowd "Get your tits out for the lads" on occasions but would never do that in normal life.
Perhaps it's age but I hate songs that include swearing and abuse. "Oldhams a sh*thole" , "Your support is fu$king sh&t" etc etc

Too me it becomes even more confusing as it appears the same people that attend Rugby matches do not appear to do it.

Where banter happens at Rugby matches, football appears to be down right abuse between rival sets of supporters with almost violent reactions if it is returned.

There seems to be more respect at Rugby matches as in real life, but why not in football ?

covcity4life

Why do people at football matches behave in a manner that they would never dream of as an individual.
Even I will admit to singing in the crowd "Get your tits out for the lads" on occasions but would never do that in normal life.
Perhaps it's age but I hate songs that include swearing and abuse. "Oldhams a sh*thole" , "Your support is fu$king sh&t" etc etc

Too me it becomes even more confusing as it appears the same people that attend Rugby matches do not appear to do it.

Where banter happens at Rugby matches, football appears to be down right abuse between rival sets of supporters with almost violent reactions if it is returned.

There seems to be more respect at Rugby matches as in real life, but why not in football ?

f4c60249.jpg

ajsccfc

People behave in cars in a much different way than if they were walking past the same people too. Environment innit.

torchomatic

Is it because rugby clubs (and so their fans) are so nomadic that they don't know where they are from week-to-week and get confused?

Could be that rugby players and fans are a bit "posher" than the rest of us.

Samo

A big and complex subject. But Oldham is a shithole.

steveecov

Heard your getting these chants yourself at AHC.:)

fernandopartridge

Football is far closer linked to working class identity.

ajsccfc

Ricoh fire? What the hell? Lorries crashing, manholes collapsing, us winning at home, what's going on this week?

torchomatic

Out of that list one sticks out like a sore thumb as being "least likely" to happen.

Ricoh fire? What the hell? Lorries crashing, manholes collapsing, us winning at home, what's going on this week?

wingy

You wait till next Friday and the one after that!!!
First up Friday the 13th again and then a virtual complete Solar Eclipse on the 20th
DUN. Dun dun Dun. Duuuunnnnn

W

westcountry_skyblue

I have been to watch Rugby League as my girlfriend is a fan and their language is shocking towards officials and opposing teams and fans.
But it's a great game and we can all stand together with a pint.

torchomatic

Out of the two types League always seems more exciting. I've been in plenty of pubs on a Saturday night when the blue blazer rugby mob come in singing "amusing" songs about the barmaid, etc. Not sure where they get this "well behaved" tag from.

I have been to watch Rugby League as my girlfriend is a fan and their language is shocking towards officials and opposing teams and fans.
But it's a great game and we can all stand together with a pint.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Out of the two types League always seems more exciting. I've been in plenty of pubs on a Saturday night when the blue blazer rugby mob come in singing "amusing" songs about the barmaid, etc. Not sure where they get this "well behaved" tag from.

Well.....cos its posh ain't it.

Besides, signing "whoops mrs. brown, look at the size of those bazookas" whilst doing a yard of ale, dressed in a blazer followed by a game of soggy biscuit & a mutual wank (just for pranks Rupert) is still well behaved compared to sticking a glass in someones face & smashing up the town centre.....

Skyblueweeman

Is it because rugby clubs (and so their fans) are so nomadic that they don't know where they are from week-to-week and get confused?

Could be that rugby players and fans are a bit "posher" than the rest of us.

I think what you're looking for Torch is "more pretentious".

lewys33

Any more inverted commas and you will be this guy.

a1fc1tixvkxm3daft7vu.jpg

torchomatic

Philosorapter

Even more fun.Why do people reach for their heads when there is a close effort by the city. (I know this sensation has been hard to come by this season).

lewys33

It's amazing how defensive people get on here. Just because you don't understand Rugby doesn't mean it isn't very good chaps ;)

covcity4life

It's amazing how defensive people get on here. Just because you don't understand Rugby doesn't mean it isn't very good chaps ;)

its fuking boring

enjoyed a few matches here and there but as a sport its definitely at the bottom end in terms of enjoyment.

only wannabe hard men could like it imo

lewys33

True story.

Many years ago now in my youth, I was employed by a dodgy as fuck security company in London.....

One job we got was to be crowd Marshalls at a posh Rugby 7's event in Kingston upon Thames.

Me & a Scottish lad called Stevie were tasked with controlling access to one of the privilege bars/marquees as only specific passes allowed access.....

as you can imagine, this became an increasingly tedious task explaining to the increasingly drunk posh boys that they weren't allowed in.....we started to attract more & more abuse as it became a game for the chinless double-barrelled brigade to get one over on "tweedle dumb & tweedle dee" as they had hilariously labelled us....

....we bit our tongues and carried on regardless......then someone on the pitch launched a huge "garyowen" or bomb kick but it was way too long & heading straight for the champagne tent.....all the posh boys stood in awe as I caught the ball, whilst shouting "mark" & then sent the ball back with a pin-point spinning kick to the ref.

Cue cheers & applause from the polite society as no-one got splashed with Bolly or Tatt, stunned silence from the posh pissed boys followed by their "leader" coming over to shake my hand.....

....Now heres where football fans & rugger buggers differ....I declined his handshake & Stevie broke his nose with a peach of a right-hander.....

...we were both put on night shift London underground duty the following week.

Yes people are so wrong to assume football fans are hooligans ..............

shmmeee

Even more fun.Why do people reach for their heads when there is a close effort by the city. (I know this sensation has been hard to come by this season).

The Body Language of Shame
When a player misses a goal, makes a mistake or feels embarrassed they often do the body language of shame. This is when someone puts the tips of their fingers up to the side of their forehead. Its as if the player is trying to shield himself from the insults hurdled upon him from the crowd. In a true moment of devastation a player will cover both her eyes with her hands or her entire face to block out the shame. This is called eye blocking and we do this subconsciously because we hope by covering our eyes we will stop seeing what makes us feel so bad.

the_more_you_know_nbc.gif

Samo

Grown men scrambling around in the mud chasing something which moves randomly. Where's the skill? :whistle:

LB87ccfc

OP you definitely must be getting old, you cannot beat a good bit of banter between two sets of football supporters especially when close together, just you do not get many home fans giving it back nowadays to the away section.

Makes the atmosphere more exciting when their is a little bit of rivalry going on.

steveecov

You wait till next Friday and the one after that!!!
First up Friday the 13th again and then a virtual complete Solar Eclipse on the 20th
DUN. Dun dun Dun. Duuuunnnnn

Isn't it played by people just not good enough to play football.

shmmeee

Grown men scrambling around in the mud chasing something which moves randomly. Where's the skill? :whistle:

It's always seemed a bit homoerotic to me, much like many public school institutions.

I hadn't got a clue what was going on when I went to a Wasps match, seemed to make no sense, but it was a nice day out and I enjoyed myself despite not having a clue what was going on. There's got to be something CCFC can learn from in that, because I'm mad about CCFC and love and understand football, but don't enjoy the experience.

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's always seemed a bit homoerotic to me, much like many public school institutions.

I hadn't got a clue what was going on when I went to a Wasps match, seemed to make no sense, but it was a nice day out and I enjoyed myself despite not having a clue what was going on. There's got to be something CCFC can learn from in that, because I'm mad about CCFC and love and understand football, but don't enjoy the experience.
I guess the positive is when you don't have a clue, if Wasps lost you probably wouldn't have even known it.

Samo

I guess the positive is when you don't have a clue, if Wasps lost you probably wouldn't have even known it.

You're assuming he wanted Wasps to win. Why would he, he's from Coventry?

shy_tall_knight

Coventry Wasps ? ...... TBA

Italia you seem like a closet snob but I will engage with you despite you trying to annoy us true football fans. It will never be Coventry WASPS, WARWICKSHIRE WASPS maybe but never Coventry, its not the image that they want, there is no coincidence that JLR sponsor them and not their local football club. The predominantly working class ratepayers of Coventry and the predominantly working class CCFC fans may have contributed to the Ricoh stadium project but WASPS have taken advantage of the weakness in CCC & CCFC and have got a bargain but they are unlikely to want Coventry as part of their brand image, its a thanks to the working class people of Coventry for the stadium we can now have some jolly japes at the soon to be named Jaguar arena whilst the football club scratches around trying to survive.

Users who are viewing this thread