Football Behaviorism (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Quite topical at the moment.

Why do people at football matches behave in a manner that they would never dream of as an individual.
Even I will admit to singing in the crowd "Get your tits out for the lads" on occasions but would never do that in normal life.
Perhaps it's age but I hate songs that include swearing and abuse. "Oldhams a sh*thole" , "Your support is fu$king sh&t" etc etc

Too me it becomes even more confusing as it appears the same people that attend Rugby matches do not appear to do it.

Where banter happens at Rugby matches, football appears to be down right abuse between rival sets of supporters with almost violent reactions if it is returned.

There seems to be more respect at Rugby matches as in real life, but why not in football ?

Classist stereotyping rearing its ugly head once again. Thatcher worked hard to make people believe them and enforced legislation based upon it, she would be proud to have the sentiments echoed. Try supporting England at rugby in a Scottish pub and you will see it's hardly banter for these people.

Brighton Sky Blue

It's always seemed a bit homoerotic to me, much like many public school institutions.

I hadn't got a clue what was going on when I went to a Wasps match, seemed to make no sense, but it was a nice day out and I enjoyed myself despite not having a clue what was going on. There's got to be something CCFC can learn from in that, because I'm mad about CCFC and love and understand football, but don't enjoy the experience.

I suppose being able to relax with a drink 'in sight of the playing area' without absurd police or steward presence helps people to unwind.

Gosb

Football is tribal. People go to football matches precisely because they can behave in a manner they would never normally dream of. Rugby fans go to see a good game (rather like you would go to see a good film). Soccer fans go to see their team win. There is real passion at a soccer match.

rob9872

most chants are harmless enough and even the swearing doesn't bother me unless its in the family area, but "your moms your dad" really dies make me cringe with embarrassment.

SBS

For what it's worth, the worst fighting I have seen at a sports event over the past few years was after a Cov Rugby game at The Butts a couple of months ago!

I love the tribal nature of football. I wouldn't change that aspect at all. What I don't like is when we steal other teams chants to sing in our stadium that looks like 20 others - identity lost!!

skybluedan

Quite topical at the moment.

Why do people at football matches behave in a manner that they would never dream of as an individual.
Even I will admit to singing in the crowd "Get your tits out for the lads" on occasions but would never do that in normal life.
Perhaps it's age but I hate songs that include swearing and abuse. "Oldhams a sh*thole" , "Your support is fu$king sh&t" etc etc

Too me it becomes even more confusing as it appears the same people that attend Rugby matches do not appear to do it.

Where banter happens at Rugby matches, football appears to be down right abuse between rival sets of supporters with almost violent reactions if it is returned.

There seems to be more respect at Rugby matches as in real life, but why not in football ?

Tbf fair mate Oldham is a shithole

skybluedan

most chants are harmless enough and even the swearing doesn't bother me unless its in the family area, but "your moms your dad" really dies make me cringe with embarrassment.

When I used to live in cov mate and had a St the song above all else what embarrassed me was get into them fuck um up. Cringing even thinking about it

Sick Boy

People behave in cars in a much different way than if they were walking past the same people too. Environment innit.

It's because we have the feeling of protection or a bubble around us in both situations. Most of the time if you confront someone who was giving you abuse in a car they shite it (as Francis Begbie would say)

ccfc92

Isn't it played by people just not good enough to play football.

That's the rule of thumb I go by. You should of seen the difference between our school football and rugby teams.

The only footballers on the rugby team, myself included, were wingers. We let the ogres play the real rugby :)

Macca

As a footnote, I do like not having to explain what c**t means after going to other sporting events

steveecov

As a footnote, I do like not having to explain what c**t means after going to other sporting events

Back in the day; when fans stood and went toe to toe, the demographic was different. People stood, prices were acceptable. Seating eradicated most of that. Also the Ricoh will never get the same atmosphere of mass chanting as Highfield Road; 10000 or 32000.

I chanted along with many when I was younger. Some of the chants then, I could not even write on here. With age comes maturity.

Macca

Doesn't feel like it in comparison to a few years back. People too busy queuing for food and drink!

Users who are viewing this thread