Forum for City fans that live away from Cov (2 Viewers)

CovfanDan

I was born in Coventry but moved to Cornwall when I was very young. With all of my family coming and still coming from Coventry, I became a Coventry fan when I was 4 - and I have never looked back.

Growing up as a Coventry fan in Cornwall (amongst Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal fans) was not easy, let me tell you. Although, through the years this has only made me more passionate and hardened!
I travelled up to Coventry in every single half term and went to a Cov game, my first being a 2 v 1 home defeat to Crystal Palace in 1989.

At 18 I decided to go to University in Coventry, genuinely, just so I could get a season ticket for 3 years - a dream come true!

I then lived in Coventry after uni (2002 to 2005), the last few years of Highfield Rd in which time I used to go to games on my own, and loved every single minute of every game.

In 2005 I moved to Manchester with work and to start a life with my now wife.
I still play a reasonably high standard of football in Lancashire so I can't always attend games although I go to as many as possible - and I still get that excited feeling that I got as a kid after travelling all the way up from Cornwall.

I have had a lot of good times following the Sky Blues, but mostly have had disappointments - but they are and always will be my city, our city and I love them and all of their fans.

Haha, brilliant!

Hcut PUSB

I live on the outskirts of Peterborough and am a season ticket holder - Block 20. Only just come back from working and living in the Middle East (Bahrain) so this season was my first time at the Ricoh although have been to Highfield Road plenty of times. From Worcester originally and my dad was stationed at the Cov Recruiting Office when I was younger, hence the link. Been a SB all my life, and will be until I die.

Ww weird, I was at the Coventry recruiting office until recently and got involved with the Academy. My little lad wanted to start going to football and we tried a lot of clubs around were we live in Staffordshire but be honest who wants to be a clay head or a yam yam. We ended up coming to watch City for an event and he catagorically stated that this was :wave:the team he wanted to support. So there we have it two season ticket holders from Stafford.

Dino

I live near bournemouth in wimborne, moved down when I was 3. 35 now and go to a few games a season. My cov tattoo needs touching up. Went to the final where dad built me a box to stand on in the ground hammer nails and all.

Coventry La La La

I live near bournemouth in wimborne, moved down when I was 3. 35 now and go to a few games a season. My cov tattoo needs touching up. Went to the final where dad built me a box to stand on in the ground hammer nails and all.

:wave::welcome: To SBT

Wish I was at the FA cup final but unfortunatly I wasn't born :mad:

Nick

Administrator
Do you still have the box? That would be an awesome item to keep from childhood! Who needs first tooth and lock of hair when you have that to pass down to your kids :)

Welcome to the site!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Do you still have the box? That would be an awesome item to keep from childhood! Who needs first tooth and lock of hair when you have that to pass down to your kids :)

Welcome to the site!

Sounds rich!!! "I had a box at Wembley!!" :D

OdieStracs

Hi. I have never lived in Coventry, have no relations from there...and until last year i had only ever been there when passing by on the M6! But i have supported them since 1987! Reason...being brought up in Northern Ireland everyone only supports two of four teams..Celtic or Rangers and Man U or Liverpool..me...i wanted to be different...so i pecked a team that was playing a big game on telly that year..supported them that day and have done ever since! Now i live in Essex, go to the odd home game but plan to do all the London away next season as best i can. I am a bit confused yes!

Ccfc1979

Born and bred in Coventry, went to Incester Uni and did teacher training in Darlington. Now live in Milton Keynes. Have had a season ticket since 1988 and sit in Block 20 now. Depressing driving back at 11pm these days after evening games!!

DazzleTommyDazzle

Dad came from Coventry and I can't remember not supporting the Sky Blues (please excuse the double negative).

I've lived in the north west and the south west but am now back in my native Shropshire, living just outside the metropolis of Much Wenlock!

I've had a season ticket on and off since the mid 70's and currently have 4 to accomodate 3 generations of City fans.

Big Mo

From Kenilworth but now in Nottingham - Ironically it doesnt take me much longer to get there now than it did from kenilworth!

Hugh Jarse

Born and raised in Coventry, went to Templars and Woodlands School and now live in Bedfordshire. My Uncle played for Coventry in the 50's (Ken Jones). Have supported the City for over 45 years, was at Wembley in 87 and travelled back to Kings Cross in a tube full of Spurs fans who were some of the nicest opposition supporters I've ever met. I think we'll just about manage to stay up but, unless Ray and his merry men put some money on the table for new players, expect next year to be much of the same.

Evil Monkey

Blimey, I feel quite local reading some of these. Lived in Cov all my life (Eastern Green and Finham) but moved down to Gloucestershire 4 1/2 years ago with a work relocation. Now living in a little village just outside Stroud. Stuck with the season tickets for a couple of years but my eldest lad lost interest - it's a bloody long way home after watching yet another shit performance - and now we only occasionally get up to games as both my kids play football at the weekend.

Great_Expectations

Living in Nottingham for uni, my last year but kept up my season ticket for the last three years, every Saturday home match and even the occasional midweek home game I am back for. Despite the confusing looks from everyone at uni when I mention this, I cant give up my season ticket, mainly for fear I might miss our one good season. In hindsight.............

AngryAnt

Dad's from Coventry,
Born in 1988 (as a result of the FA Cup), but never lived in Cov.
Now living in Scunthorpe but grew up near Bristol.
Used to go to school with only one other city fan (his cousin later ended up playing for city, so we both never really stood a change, both having city fans for families)

We seem to get around a bit.. Not alot of us, but enough to keep on going.

Last edited:

skyblue_islander

Born in Funeaton, brought up in Fillongley, lived adult life in Coundon. Now living on Isle of Wight, where the missus is from originally...we wanted to bring our daughters up by the sea, it really is a great place for young children... Cov fan since '85... last season was the first season without a season ticket in 12 years... (I've got the tattoo - proper hardcore lol!)

We've only been here for 18 months and my intention is to come up for one home game per month, and hope Pompey stay down and Saints come up!

I miss matchdays, my Saturday afternoons can be woeful, but banter on GMK and now SBT softens the blow...

PUSB

skyblue_islander

I know of 2 others on the Island, one works for WBS and the other works for Britten and Norman.... I also sometimes see a Focus with a City badge in the window parked in Salisbury Rd (Ryde)...

Houchens Head

I know of 2 others on the Island, one works for WBS and the other works for Britten and Norman.... I also sometimes see a Focus with a City badge in the window parked in Salisbury Rd (Ryde)...
Hiya!! :wave:
I live in Totland. Been here since last year. Still wear my city top with pride - unfortunately, it's an old one, but the thoughts there! :)

Houchens Head

I'm surprised just how many people from Coventry are here on the island. It seems that every time we meet someone they (or someone they know) is from Cov!

egastap

Hi, I'm a Coventry kid, although born in Nuneaton and moved to Cov when I was two. Lived in Tile Hill until I got married then bought a house in Ernesford Grange. I left the UK (or should I say escaped) for Canada in 1982 and have never looked back. What a wonderful country! Still support the SB from afar. Sit in front of my pc every Saturday to read through the BBC sports report. First saw the City when I was 6, so that was in 1954. Was up in the Spion Kop to watch City play Brighton & HA. Roy Kirk....fantastic player, hard as nails. Watched them at HR 'til I left the shores. Every 6 years or so I come back to Blighty to see relatives. Saw the last opener in 2001 I think, against Chelsea. Been an avid City guy, although it's bad for the heart and the digestion, and always will be. Disappointing last 10 years but I'm glad I saw them rthrought he 60's....best years of the City!

PUSB:)

davebart

egastap I think Chelsea was 1999/2000. City played Middlesborough first game 2000. I took my daughters to their first game and after that could never get them back after the season defining performance.

I live in Bath and having not seen City win since 2002 (last game I attended Bristol City last season) have finally been ground down. I must say I do admire all those that keep their spirits up despite what has gone on over the last 10-15 years. I mainly keep up with things so I can chat to my dad about footy. he has only ever been interested in City but now lives in Cornwall.

I have Coventry faithful in my family who live in Canada and France. My father (france) has been known to don a bobble hat and sheepskin and marvel at the refrigeration system at The Ricoh.

They're all Marseilles fans round his parts. By parts I'm mean locale not crotch.

Last edited:

kapowaz

London here. I've not lived in Coventry since 1997, but up until 3 or 4 years ago I still attended four or five matches a season. Nowadays it's more like one or none. Quite a change from when I was a kid and was a season ticket holder (between 1990 and 1996).

Walter Sobchak

Sutton Coldfield for me. I didn't escape very far.

Number of games I attend has gradually reduced over the years as, I'm afraid to say, apathy has crept in.

Skybluescotland

Coldstream, Scottish Borders. Born in Cov, grew up in Woodway lane just down from the Jolly Colliers Pub.

Still in touch and follow them by any means poss.

PUSB

I'mARealWizard

Sydney here (Australia - I'm not a character from Scream)

Have been here on and off for 10 years... (The first time I was here we were relegated!)

Was surprised to discover knock-off CCFC shirts for sale in discount stores when I first got here.

I noticed someone from NZ here :wave: and other antipodeans?

Users who are viewing this thread