From the Donkey Box to Hearsall Common. (1 Viewer)

Brylowes

Travelling up tomorrow afternoon and staying at the Belgrade Plaza, hopefully nice and fresh for the early k/o on Sunday.
I’m not really a big fan of the city centre but there’s a nice little pub (can’t recall its name but it has a donkey box🧐) just round the corner from the hotel where I was going to grab an early bite to eat before moving on.
Another pub I’ve enjoyed before was the Hearsall Arms or tavern, so I was wondering, if I was to head in that general direction how many other pubs would I be likely to stumble across, so long as the beer is good all pubs “rough or smooth” “busy or quiet” will be enjoyed I’m sure.
perfect night for me would be:
A, Depart the Donkey Box about 7pm visiting 10 to 12 pubs arriving back at the hotel for midnight, having walked about 2 - 2 1/2 miles but without re-tracing my footsteps.
Or would I be better off.
B, Visiting 10 to 12 pubs but on a one way walk of about 2 - 2 1/2 miles away from the city centre before getting taxi back for midnight.
Or should I.
C, forget it as that particular area is no good for a pub crawl.

Any advice, recommendations, warnings gratefully received.

B.

Last edited:

Gynnsthetonic

Town Wall Tavern is next to the theatre is the one with the donkey box. You have the Old Windmill in Spon St, The Town Crier is like an estate pub but in town, always have a good band on a saturday night and no trouble. The Philip Larkin is similar and then you have a couple of Spoons.The Hearsall Inn on Craven St always busy and great atmosphere along with other establishments on the street and you have Earlsdon also.
Don't drink too much or you won't make the game😄

Brylowes

Town Wall Tavern is next to the theatre is the one with the donkey box. You have the Old Windmill in Spon St, The Town Crier is like an estate pub but in town, always have a good band on a saturday night and no trouble. The Philip Larkin is similar and then you have a couple of Spoons.The Hearsall Inn on Craven St always busy and great atmosphere along with other establishments on the street and you have Earlsdon also.
Don't drink too much or you won't make the game😄
The Larkin, Crier, etc are all city centre which we’ve done to death tbh, wanted a walk out of town and this area looks the most promising, ended up in the Hearsall Inn one night about 5 years ago with my Mrs, we had a great night with the locals.

Frank Sidebottom

Go Town Wall Tavern, Nip round the corner to the Gatehouse, Hops D'amore is also nearby and has a decent pint, Then head round to The Windmill on Spon street.
Then nip into the Sky Blue Tavern if you want to keep your beak wet before heading to the Broomfield Tavern.
Then head to Craven Street for any of the 4Ps, The Hearsall, The Nursery, The Chesnut and Craven Arms. (No idea of any of them are any good still)
Or alternatively head to Earlsdon high Street for Beer Gonzo, Wetherspoons, The Oak..... personally I'd just stick to the 1st 3 or 4 on the list though.

Peter Billing Eyes

Close to the Town Wall Tavern (pub with the donkey box) are Hops d’Amour on Corporation Street and The Windmill in Spon Street. Both well worth a try, literally a minute walk to each from the Town Wall. You are looking at a 5 min cab or Uber ride (15 minute walk) to Craven St. where The Hearsall and The Chestnut are situated.

The Chestnut is owned by Dave who is a big sky blues fan and The Hearsall is owned by the Scott family who used to run The Brewer and Baker near to Highfield Rd. There is always a warm welcome in both. Cheers.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Go Town Wall Tavern, Nip round the corner to the Gatehouse, Hops D'amore is also nearby and has a decent pint, Then head round to The Windmill on Spon street.
Then nip into the Sky Blue Tavern if you want to keep your beak wet before heading to the Broomfield Tavern.
Then head to Craven Street for any of the 4Ps, The Hearsall, The Nursery, The Chesnut and Craven Arms. (No idea of any of them are any good still)
Or alternatively head to Earlsdon high Street for Beer Gonzo, Wetherspoons, The Oak..... personally I'd just stick to the 1st 3 or 4 on the list though.
and then collapse before getting to the game.

fernandopartridge

Old Dyers Arms between Windmill and Broomfield if you walk under the ring road into Spon End

mmttww

I wouldn't bother with The Nursery any more. One of my favourite proper pubs back in the day, completely wrecked now.

I've no idea what's going on there, it's very odd.
Yeah, very weird spot these days. Shame.

LastGarrison

I wouldn't bother with The Nursery any more. One of my favourite proper pubs back in the day, completely wrecked now.

I've no idea what's going on there, it's very odd.
My Uncle lived next door to it for years so popped in from time to time and it was always a bit of an older crowd and like drinking in someone’s front room but was always decent enough for a pint.

Think it’s now ran by a Tile Hill lad who was in my Missus’ year at school and think he’s trying to change it into a bit more of a laddy pub but have to say haven’t been in since he’s ran it.

duffer

My 16 year old and his mates seem to like it

Might explain why there were only about half-a-dozen teenagers in there. (This was early Saturday night.)

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't hostile, but there was bugger all atmosphere in there and the place is completely sterile - traditional decor all removed, monotone paint throughout, window boarded up from the inside. Odd.

It could well be it livens up later on but I don't think it will survive too long if that's the typical level of custom.

Anyhow, it is what it is, but we've already lost The Black Horse, The Coombe, and my favourite, The Malt Shovel from the area; it's sad to see another traditional pub bite the dust.

Gynnsthetonic

Might explain why there were only about half-a-dozen teenagers in there. (This was early Saturday night.)

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't hostile, but there was bugger all atmosphere in there and the place is completely sterile - traditional decor all removed, monotone paint throughout, window boarded up from the inside. Odd.

It could well be it livens up later on but I don't think it will survive too long if that's the typical level of custom.

Anyhow, it is what it is, but we've already lost The Black Horse, The Coombe, and my favourite, The Malt Shovel from the area; it's sad to see another traditional pub bite the dust.
I heard it got raided the other week, I went in with my son after an away game the other month, I had to walk out, it was embarrassing the age group in there. Like you said no bother just like the scene from The Inbetweeners in the pub, I was like Mr Gilbert lol. With a decent refurb I'm sure it could be bought back to life.

Brylowes

First of the evening, a pub I've been in before and enjoyed, only a minute from the hotel 'so I was always gonna start here.
A nice old pub full of character, not very busy but I get the feeling that's just how the manager and locals like it.
The beer I'm drinking (Green Man IPA) is so good and served in such an excellent condition, I'm half tempted to just have 10 pints here, stumble home to the hotel and dream of tomorrow.
But I won't.
1684006158915.jpeg 1684006198225.jpeg 1684006227324.jpeg

duffer

First of the evening, a pub I've been in before and enjoyed, only a minute from the hotel 'so I was always gonna start here.
A nice old pub full of character, not very busy but I get the feeling that's just how the manager and locals like it.
The beer I'm drinking (Green Man IPA) is so good and served in such an excellent condition, I'm half tempted to just have 10 pints here, stumble home to the hotel and dream of tomorrow.
But I won't.
View attachment 29642View attachment 29643View attachment 29644

Bugger me, all of the times I've been in the Town Wall (which is many), and I've never noticed it's actually called the Donkey Box. I'd never heard the term until you mentioned it at the start of the thread.

Hope you're having a great evening mate, keep us updated, I can restart my drinking career vicariously through your good offices. 😄

Brylowes

No2, Feels a bit to spoons for me but I have to say the beer is very good, not Donkey Box levels 'but really "very few are"
Fairly busy with a mixed bag of customers, a few of which should have called it a day instead of trying to head into the evening as well.
1684008521652.jpeg 1684008544622.jpeg

EalingSB

No2, Feels a bit to spoons for me but I have to say the beer is very good, not Donkey Box levels 'but really "very few are"
Fairly busy with a mixed bag of customers, a few of which should have called it a day instead of trying to head into the evening as well.
View attachment 29647View attachment 29648
Always used to be a weird atmosphere in here. Sort of place you’d get kicked out for enjoying yourself. Enjoying the updates, though!

Brylowes

Bugger me, all of the times I've been in the Town Wall (which is many), and I've never noticed it's actually called the Donkey Box. I'd never heard the term until you mentioned it at the start of the thread.

Hope you're having a great evening mate, keep us updated, I can restart my drinking career vicariously through your good offices. 😄
The pub isn't called the Donkey Box.
At the front between the 2 bar doors there's another tiny bar called the donkey box, would literally only hold about 5 people

Users who are viewing this thread