Gareth southgate (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Sad Ice Cream GIF

Alkhen

Why on earth would they even consider it before we know how well the team perform at the Euros?

Can't see Gareth walking if we win it really, he'd want another shot at the World Cup. And if we are shite then it's time for change.

SBT

In all seriousness there is no credible English candidate for the job anywhere to be found so unless we completely botch the Euros then I have no issue with him staying.

Grendel

In all seriousness there is no credible English candidate for the job anywhere to be found so unless we completely botch the Euros then I have no issue with him staying.

Southgate wasn’t really a credible candidate when he was appointed was he?

chiefdave

Is there any expectation of anything other than following the usual script?

each the quarter / semi finals having beaten no-one of note and then an 'unlucky' defeat before a contract extension for Southgate.

SBT

Is there any expectation of anything other than following the usual script?

each the quarter / semi finals having beaten no-one of note and then an 'unlucky' defeat before a contract extension for Southgate.
Or the charitable way to describe it is following the script of an “unlucky” defeat to one of the tournament favourites after missing one or more penalties. Losing in tournaments is bad, but the margins of defeat suggest we are not as far away as Southgate’s critics say we are.

I know some England fans demand ‘Instant Success’ but the alternative to Southgate is what? A mystery box with Graham Potter inside?

Alkhen

Or the charitable way to describe it is following the script of an “unlucky” defeat to one of the tournament favourites after missing one or more penalties. Losing in tournaments is bad, but the margins of defeat suggest we are not as far away as Southgate’s critics say we are.

I know some England fans demand ‘Instant Success’ but the alternative to Southgate is what? A mystery box with Graham Potter inside?
Would Potter be such a bad option really? As mentioned above Southgate wasn't exactly a glamorous appointment.

If we have to go English then he has as good credentials as anyone. Potter had a clear plan and showed tactical awareness at all his clubs up to Chelsea I'm not judging him on his stint there as they are a cluster fuck owned by a clueless clown.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Daz

Toby fair I think Southgate did a very good job, although I would like to see him be a little more attacking in his play

Reactions: vow

SBT

Would Potter be such a bad option really? As mentioned above Southgate wasn't exactly a glamorous appointment. If we have to go English then he has as good credentials as anyone. Potter had a clear plan and showed tactical awareness at all his clubs up to Chelsea I'm not judging him on his stint at there as they are a cluster fuck owned by a clueless clown.
He was a disaster at Chelsea and by most accounts failed to manage the kind of internal politics and player power that would be even more important as England manager. I don’t see why you’re rushing to move on from someone who may not be getting the final results but is certainly getting the process right. Especially if there’s no obvious successor.

Sick Boy

He was a disaster at Chelsea and by most accounts failed to manage the kind of internal politics and player power that would be even more important as England manager. I don’t see why you’re rushing to move on from someone who may not be getting the final results but is certainly getting the process right. Especially if there’s no obvious successor.
Southgate's club managerial career was hardly what I'd call inspiring. There's nothing to suggest Potter couldn't handle it.

SBT

Southgate's club managerial career was hardly what I'd call inspiring. There's nothing to suggest Potter couldn't handle it.
Other than the issues at Chelsea I just mentioned? I don’t think anyone wants Southgate in the job based on his tactical nous or track record at club level but he’s nevertheless shown himself to be a much more effective manager of the team than other coaches with better CVs. If we’re going to discard that I’d hope it was for a better option than Graham Potter.

SBT

Any foreign manager would be a major embarrassment but Klopp would be absolutely insufferable

Terry Gibson's perm

Some big jobs will be available on the summer in the prem surely he should be going after those😂.

I would let him run England right up to this summers euro championship and fire him a few weeks before and bring in a winner like Klopp.

Southgate has done little with the best bunch of players I can remember qualification is easy and of us could take the English team to the tournament it’s what you do when you meet the decent teams ( no offence to The Outer Hebrides or who he manages to beat 2-0)

SBT

Some big jobs will be available on the summer in the prem surely he should be going after those😂.

I would let him run England right up to this summers euro championship and fire him a few weeks before and bring in a winner like Klopp.

Southgate has done little with the best bunch of players I can remember qualification is easy and of us could take the English team to the tournament it’s what you do when you meet the decent teams ( no offence to The Outer Hebrides or who he manages to beat 2-0)
Personally I would expect Klopp to need more than a few weeks to transform England into a high-intensity pressing team at the end of a long Premier League season. It’s moot anyway, the England manager should be English.

Plenty of other big sides (including past England sides) have shown that qualification is easily fucked up in the wrong hands. This England team is wildly talented in some areas and painfully lacking in others - it’s a good team no doubt but extremely unbalanced.

Sick Boy

Other than the issues at Chelsea I just mentioned? I don’t think anyone wants Southgate in the job based on his tactical nous or track record at club level but he’s nevertheless shown himself to be a much more effective manager of the team than other coaches with better CVs. If we’re going to discard that I’d hope it was for a better option than Graham Potter.
He should have gone after the final defeat vs Italy. Losing at home with 90% England fans in the stadium was just humiliating.

Terry Gibson's perm

Personally I would expect Klopp to need more than a few weeks to transform England into a high-intensity pressing team at the end of a long Premier League season. It’s moot anyway, the England manager should be English.

Plenty of other big sides (including past England sides) have shown that qualification is easily fucked up in the wrong hands. This England team is wildly talented in some areas and painfully lacking in others - it’s a good team no doubt but extremely unbalanced.
It’s almost impossible not to qualify, the bench seems to be as talented as the team as he has to shoe horn his favourites in. I wouldn’t have Phillips and Henderson in a third eleven let alone near the first team.

SBT

It’s almost impossible not to qualify, the bench seems to be as talented as the team as he has to shoe horn his favourites in. I wouldn’t have Phillips and Henderson in a third eleven let alone near the first team.
Who are your other holding midfield options beyond Rice? Madders and Grealish?

He should have gone after the final defeat vs Italy. Losing at home with 90% England fans in the stadium was just humiliating.
And replaced with who? Losing on penalties at home was sickening, but it was at least the start of building a team which is now favourites to win it all this summer.

Terry Gibson's perm

Who are your other holding midfield options beyond Rice? Madders and Grealish?

And replaced with who? Losing on penalties at home was sickening, but it was at least the start of building a team which is now favourites to win it all this summer.

You need option and it’s Rice one should be plenty and then get more attackers into the team.

• Haha
Reactions: SBT

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah I don’t think we’re going to win a major tournament with one holding midfielder in the squad, sorry.
The other two are just squad fillers they are next to pointless as players, Phillips has been a disaster at West Ham as he is so out of touch and Henderson has been done for years. It’s the managers job to find better than this pair if he wants a load of defensive midfielders.

I would have Ward Prowse in the squad before either of these.

SBT

The other two are just squad fillers they are next to pointless as players, Phillips has been a disaster at West Ham as he is so out of touch and Henderson has been done for years. It’s the managers job to find better than this pair if he wants a load of defensive midfielders.

I would have Ward Prowse in the squad before either of these.
Henderson hasn’t been “done for years”, that’s ridiculous. Klopp wanted to keep him before he decided to take the Saudi petro-dollars.

If Ward-Prowse was the obvious answer at DM that people seem to think he is (he’s currently being deployed as a 10) then I have to wonder why West Ham spent a fortune bringing in Phillips to play alongside him.

Terry Gibson's perm

Henderson hasn’t been “done for years”, that’s ridiculous. Klopp wanted to keep him before he decided to take the Saudi petro-dollars.

If Ward-Prowse was the obvious answer at DM that people seem to think he is (he’s currently being deployed as a 10) then I have to wonder why West Ham spent a fortune bringing in Phillips to play alongside him.
Henderson offers very little his time is done he should have been moved out before the qualifying for this tournament but will probably still be in the squad in 2026 if Southgate is still in charge. Klopp would have said nice things but deep down would have had him as a sub this season.

Most likely he will play Alexander Arnold as another midfielder so he can get a good quota of right back in the squad.

If Robins left tomorrow and they said Southgate was the man for the job how would you feel? I think he is unemployable and he knows it he wouldn’t get a prem job and would be lucky to get a championship one he is only in the job as the fa idiots want an easy life with somebody who won’t rock the boat.

PVA

I think he will leave regardless of the outcome of the Euros.

Embarrassing early exit = sacked
Respectable defeat in the semis/final = taken us as far as he can
Wins it = Leaves on a high

PVA

As for the Henderson debate, I wouldn't have him in the squad. Curtis Jones is a far better option.

SBT

Henderson offers very little his time is done he should have been moved out before the qualifying for this tournament but will probably still be in the squad in 2026 if Southgate is still in charge. Klopp would have said nice things but deep down would have had him as a sub this season.

Most likely he will play Alexander Arnold as another midfielder so he can get a good quota of right back in the squad.

If Robins left tomorrow and they said Southgate was the man for the job how would you feel? I think he is unemployable and he knows it he wouldn’t get a prem job and would be lucky to get a championship one he is only in the job as the fa idiots want an easy life with somebody who won’t rock the boat

If Henderson is good enough for a spot on the Liverpool bench then he’s certainly good enough for a spot on England’s. The Saudi move has obviously raised a pretty major question mark but we shall see.

Southgate was a failure at club level but the international job is a totally different skill set (and turns out to be one he is surprisingly well suited to). Hence why club football grandees like Capello and Hodgson were complete failures.

Users who are viewing this thread