General Election (11 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Can you tell me what makes you so happy about what he has said because as a Labour voter I missed it.

Investment in education on a scale which we haven't seen since 1997, giving public sector workers proper pay rises, opposing the grammar school expansion. Just 3 good reasons off the top of my head.

Liquid Gold

1qgcv8.jpg
Why do you keep saying that? Nobody has said they expect a Labour win. No poll predicts a Labour win.

This is nothing like Brexit.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Why do you keep saying that? Nobody has said they expect a Labour win. No poll predicts a Labour win.

This is nothing like Brexit.
You keep saying this even though nobody is predicting a Labour win.

The parallel's are frightening.

Remain was plastered everywhere and no one was aloud to say they were a leave voter otherwise they'd get mobbed. People said 'everyone should vote' and then proceeded to throw their toys out of the pram when the result came in that they didn't like.

I'm not saying Labour expect to win, I am saying tomorrow a lot (not all) of people will be in snowflake meltdown if they don't. This will then be followed by abuse towards anyone that voted differently to them.

Liquid Gold

The parallel's are frightening.

Remain was plastered everywhere and no one was aloud to say they were a leave voter otherwise they'd get mobbed. People said 'everyone should vote' and then proceeded to throw their toys out of the pram when the result came in that they didn't like.

I'm not saying Labour expect to win, I am saying tomorrow a lot (not all) of people will be in snowflake meltdown if they don't. This will then be followed by abuse towards anyone that voted differently to them.
The parallels are frightening because it's an election. They are all like this.

Nice use of the term snowflake there, been reading alt-right websites have you?

Also Labour aren't plastered everywhere. The Tories have the vast majority of the media and have spend many times more on advertising than Labour

Covstu

Generally I have done well for myself through Tory leadership as an adult so have tended to side that way (and when labour put the tuition fees in just as I started uni). This time I am struggling to see the appeal of the tory campaign and wont be voting for them as a result. Equally I agree with a lot of the Labour manifesto (also cross over to Lib Dems/Greens to a certain extent), albeit I would be concerned with the swing of power back to the unions here in which JC is intimating. There needs to be a balance (unlike now) but I think it would be dangerous if this goes too far left but that's a discussion for another day.
Its actually the first time I have been very unsure about who to vote for and for that reason I wont be voting for the big two, call it a protest vote but I don't think either would be good for the country at present.

Astute

Investment in education on a scale which we haven't seen since 1997, giving public sector workers proper pay rises, opposing the grammar school expansion. Just 3 good reasons off the top of my head.
And how did he say that it would be paid for?

Covstu

Also Labour aren't plastered everywhere. The Tories have the vast majority of the media and have spend many times more on advertising than Labour
to be honest I have seen as much if not more pro labour on this campaign with the bulk being through social media. I rarely pick up a paper these days so don't normally see a lot of what the papers are saying. Maybe Labour has more positive things to say on this one?? I don't know but I don't feel its all one way.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I use the term snowflake because it is extremely applicable.

Labour are plastered everywhere for me. I haven't seen one person telling me to vote Conservative, but half the internet wants me to vote Labour.

Astute

An increase in corporation tax to bring us up to the massive unacceptable level of the lowest in the G8.
And risk losing jobs? So raise it by how much?

They should try tightening up tax laws. That would bring in more.

Terry Gibson's perm

Roadside boards with Marcus Jones's ugly mug are everywhere in Nuneaton but I haven't seen a single labour one.

Liquid Gold

I use the term snowflake because it is extremely applicable.

Labour are plastered everywhere for me. I haven't seen one person telling me to vote Conservative, but half the internet wants me to vote Labour.
That's because you live in a Labour city and are the age you are. You can't apply your experience to the whole electorate and the money spent on advertising by each campaign suggests you're wrong.

Brylowes

I'm mote concerned about the absecence of John McDonnell. Where is he?

Having a pint with Mr Adams perhaps? Reminiscing about the bulletts, the bombs and the dead Tories - the good old days.
Saudi Arabia are one of the biggest sponsors of ISIS and global terrorism in general, they have
One of the worst "human rights" records in the world.
Our Prime Minister was there just two months ago signing an agreement to sell them even more
Weapons than we already do, weapons that will undoubtedly be used against us in the future.

Corbyn and McDonnel recognised that in order to achieve peace in NI it would take dialogue and
Careful negotiations, as he's said to achieve your objective sometimes you have to sit down with
People you don't necessarily like.
A point proven by the fact that between 1979 / 1992 the conservative government conducted no
Dialogue and achieved nothing except job creation for Irish voice over artists.

The peace process was then initiated, conducted and eventually completed by a Labour g'ment,
would you rather the peace process was never initiated ?
I would say the Tories have tried very hard to lose, it's a question of if they've tried hard enough or not?
It's not a case of trying to lose, more a case of they didn't think they had to try to win.
They have nothing to say that would actually resonate with ordinary people, their whole campaign
Has been about attacking Labour and usually with lies.

Last edited:

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That's because you live in a Labour city and are the age you are. You can't apply your experience to the whole electorate and the money spent on advertising by each campaign suggests you're wrong.

I can apply experience from Brexit which has a similar narrative based on the that exact reasoning.

My mum will probably vote Labour and she won't be winging if they lose, but a hell of a lot of people will be.

Terry Gibson's perm

Just seen a tweet from somebody saying about the shameful ridicule of the uks first black woman mp, most don't care if she is black or green male of female she is just useless.

Thank god she has gone Labours odds have improved

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Saudi Arabia are one of the biggest sponsors of ISIS and global terrorism in general, they have
One of the worst "human rights" records in the world.
Our Prime Minister was there just two months ago signing an agreement to sell them even more
Weapons than we already do, weapons that will undoubtedly be used against us in the future.

Corbyn and McDonnel recognised that in order to achieve peace in NI it would take dialogue and
Careful negotiations, as he's said to achieve your objective sometimes you have to sit down with
People you don't necessarily like.
A point proven by the fact that between 1979 / 1992 the conservative government conducted no
Dialogue and achieved nothing except job creation for Irish voice over artists.

The peace process was then initiated, conducted and eventually completed by a Labour g'ment,
would you rather the peace process was never initiated ?

It's not a case of trying to lose, more a case they didn't think they had to try to win.
They have nothing to say that would actually resonate with ordinary people, their whole campaign
Has been about attacking Labour and usually with lies.

I think I see where you are coming from, but are you suggesting dialogue with ISIS will actually work and is what we should be doing?

Liquid Gold

I can apply experience from Brexit which has a similar narrative based on the that exact reasoning.

My mum will probably vote Labour and she won't be winging if they lose, but a hell of a lot of people will be.
What constitutes whinging and what constitutes continuing to make an argument for what you believe in?

It seems too many people act like politics is a game of football and 90 mins that's it. These debates will continue to happen over the course of the next 5 year parliament and beyond. Just because the Tories win doesn't take away my right to stand up and say I believe what they're doing is wrong does it?

Nick

Administrator
What actually happens at these Rallies? From what I can see loads of people turn up, listen to a politician bullshit and then cheer like it's the winning goal at Wembley?

Covstu

An increase in corporation tax to bring us up to the massive unacceptable level of the lowest in the G8.
Genuine question - I have seen a lot posted on social media on this one and that we are way lower than everyone else in the G8 but surely by that if a company was going to jump ship as a result of increased CT then why wouldn't they relocate to non G8 countries where they would get that benefit? A lot of automotive companies set up shop in non G8 countries probably for this reason surely?

Liquid Gold

What actually happens at these Rallies? From what I can see loads of people turn up, listen to a politician bullshit and then cheer like it's the winning goal at Wembley?
Sometimes they play music. Steve Coogan told some jokes at the one in Brum yesterday.

Liquid Gold

Genuine question - I have seen a lot posted on social media on this one and that we are way lower than everyone else in the G8 but surely by that if a company was going to jump ship as a result of increased CT then why wouldn't they relocate to non G8 countries where they would get that benefit? A lot of automotive companies set up shop in non G8 countries probably for this reason surely?
That's a fair point and I'm sure some companies will, or at least consider it. The benefits of being in a G8 country wt all the relevant infrastructure and industry though far outweighs the benefits of being in a lower tax non G8 country. Inside the G8 you are able to have an influence on economic decision making that effects the vast majority of world trade. If it was profitable to leave the bloc (I didn't want to say G8 again - I have now) then companies would do it already. America has the highest rate (eithout checking) but you don't see companies jump to Mexico because of the influence they'd lose.

W

westcountry_skyblue

When the tories win the left wing scum will be back out protesting in our citiies on Friday smashing windows assaulting police anyway
Just the way they like to do things they don't really want power they wouldn't know what to do !!

Liquid Gold

do they have a bar??
You have to hide a few cans of Kestrel super in your pocket.

So they basically reel off anybody who supports them politically who is famous?

I think they are mainly a hangover from the old days before TV and even radio when the only way you got to hear a politician was to attend a rally. That's why attendance of them has dwindled so much in recent times. Corbyn has enthused people to the point they want to actually go and hear him speak though. Same principle as having a favourite footballer going to talk about his career.

Astute

Lose jobs how? Tightening up tax laws is part of the manifesto.
Make your mind up. You said increase corporation tax. Companies will look at moving to somewhere with lower tax. Thus job losses.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What constitutes whinging and what constitutes continuing to make an argument for what you believe in?

It seems too many people act like politics is a game of football and 90 mins that's it. These debates will continue to happen over the course of the next 5 year parliament and beyond. Just because the Tories win doesn't take away my right to stand up and say I believe what they're doing is wrong does it?

It depends on which side of the fence you are on I guess.

Certainly after Brexit it was tantrum after tantrum, barely any good arguments or respectful debate, just abuse. From what I'm seeing, the same sort of people who I found cannot take losing and were intolerant of other people's opinions are the same people hammering their Labour colours to the mast.

There is being upset or scrutinising and then there is crossing the line. I felt a lot of people did after Brexit. I feel that this could be the same.

I can't speak for the Tories, I don't know anyone that has publicly declared voting for them, a little similar to leave. It was a silent majority which caught a lot of people out.

Astute

Why are they not in the countries that pay higher tax than here? Raise the tax to the level that they didn't want to pay?

Users who are viewing this thread