General Election (6 Viewers)

Philosorapter

All true. For once I agree with you. However I honestly believe there's more to this than meets the eye. May's campaign was so obviously hopelessly inept that it was just too bad to be true. Why else would you introduce daft guaranteed vote losers like fox hunting, nicking school meals and the dementia tax? I'm really unconvinced that they wanted a huge majority and just might have undercooked it too much.

To answer your question where do they go from here? Corbyn/McDonnell have said theyre ready to form a government. Let them go ahead with the weakened SNP/Greens and LibDems. Let them deliver the Brexit that they think the country voted for.

It'll be the end of the lot of them for a generation.

For once I agree with you. I can't see how you can run so much of a bad campaign without it being on purpose.

Captain Dart

What's happened in Scotland is nothing short of remarkable, the North East is almost entirely blue. Sturgeon holds another independence referendum at her peril.

Even more blue there than there used to be in 70's
_96412583_scotland_in_detail_624.png

300px-UK_General_Election%2C_October_1974.svg.png

eastwoodsdustman

Its not been a great night for the Conservatives or Sturgeon for that matter. Although Corbyn has done better than everyone expetced, he's also failed. He's promised the earth to all and still not succeeded.Thankfully enough people saw through the promises and realised that a left wing Labour government will never work long term.
I'll be interested to see the age demographic on voting as it looks like plenty of students have taken the free university carrot dangled which has helped Labour a fair bit in a lot of area's.

Philosorapter

Yes, East of Scotland and the border region has always been home to the folks who wish to remain as part of the UK whilst Glasgow became a city state wanting to free itself.

You can't blame the people of Glasgow though, not when you have a nuclear missile base just down the road.

I am sure many coventarians would want the same things if they decide to widen the canal and turn the canal basin into a sub pen.

clint van damme

All true. For once I agree with you. However I honestly believe there's more to this than meets the eye. May's campaign was so obviously hopelessly inept that it was just too bad to be true. Why else would you introduce daft guaranteed vote losers like fox hunting, nicking school meals and the dementia tax? I'm really unconvinced that they wanted a huge majority and just might have undercooked it too much.

To answer your question where do they go from here? Corbyn/McDonnell have said theyre ready to form a government. Let them go ahead with the weakened SNP/Greens and LibDems. Let them deliver the Brexit that they think the country voted for.

I think there's something fishy about it all as well.
As for coalitions, can't see anything other than a tory/DUP link up.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Assume those that were kept bringing up Corbyns alleged support of the IRA are appauled and will be equally vocal about the prospect of the Conservatives working with the DUP?
er... I don't believe the DUP were ever connected with the IRA. They were more Sinn Fein.

RegTheDonk

Come on lads, seriously? They fucked it up on purpose? I've heard some daft conspiracy theories but this is one that would top some of the loonies on Howard Hughes' show. i'd put it down to ineptitude and a lack of empathy with the working classes.

IMHO, a lot of labour voters thought Corbyn was unelectable - as did most of his MPs AND Mrs May. Turns out his vision is shared by a lot of people. Mrs May has to appease the paddys as well as her back bench now because if we go again and If Corbny can get the labour skeptics back on board and if he can appeal to more ex-UKIP then you never know what might happen.

lifeskyblue

Come on lads, seriously? They fucked it up on purpose? I've heard some daft conspiracy theories but this is one that would top some of the loonies on Howard Hughes' show.

IMHO, a lot of labour voters thought Corbyn was unelectable - as did most of his MPs AND Mrs May. Turns out his vision is shared by a lot of people. Mrs May has to appease the paddys as well as her back bench now because if we go again and If Corbny can get the labour skeptics back on board and if he can appeal to more ex-UKIP then you never know what might happen.

Agree. It really is laughable to suggest the Tories wanted a lower majority than at the start of the election. May has been found out; as labour have been previously...if you take your core vote for granted you end up with egg on your face.
If May can't sustain a government and we have another election I believe the snp and others will be squeezed further and it will end up as a straight fight tween May and Corbyn. Not sure how that would turn out especially if Corbyn star continues to rise. Lot depends on whether the Tories can maintain discipline and get behind May on Brexit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

And for a closer look...

View attachment 7585

Lord Buckhead actually has some good policies on his manifesto:

MY 2017 MANIFESTO: Strong, not entirely stable, leadership

1. The abolition of the Lords (except me).

2. Full facial coverings to be kept legal, especially bucket-related headgear.

3. No third runway to be built at Heathrow: where we’re going we don’t need runways.

4. Ceefax to be brought back immediately, with The Oracle and other Teletext services to be rolled out by the next Parliament.

5. Regeneration of Nicholson’s Shopping Centre, Maidenhead.

6. Buckethead on Brexit: a referendum should be held about whether there should be a second referendum.

7. Nuclear weapons: A firm public commitment to build the £100bn renewal of the Trident weapons system, followed by an equally firm private commitment not to build it. They’re secret submarines, no one will ever know. It’s a win win.

8. Nationalisation of Adele: in order to maximise the efficient use of UK resources, the time is right for great British assets to be brought into public ownership for the common good. This is to be achieved through capital spending.

9. A moratorium until 2022 on whether Birmingham should be converted into a star base.

10. Legalisation of the hunting of fox-hunters.

11. New voting age limit of 16 to be introduced. New voting age limit of 80 to be introduced too.

12. Katie Hopkins to be banished to the Phantom Zone.

13. Stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia. Start buying lasers from Lord Buckethead.

14. Prospective MPs to live in the seat they wish to represent for at least five years before election, to improve local representation in Parliament.

15. Free bikes for everyone, to help combat obesity, traffic congestion and bike theft.

clint van damme

The DUP has issued a statement saying they don't think May can stay in power, her position in becoming untenable.

Philosorapter

Lord Buckhead actually has some good policies on his manifesto:

MY 2017 MANIFESTO: Strong, not entirely stable, leadership

1. The abolition of the Lords (except me).

2. Full facial coverings to be kept legal, especially bucket-related headgear.

3. No third runway to be built at Heathrow: where we’re going we don’t need runways.

4. Ceefax to be brought back immediately, with The Oracle and other Teletext services to be rolled out by the next Parliament.

5. Regeneration of Nicholson’s Shopping Centre, Maidenhead.

6. Buckethead on Brexit: a referendum should be held about whether there should be a second referendum.

7. Nuclear weapons: A firm public commitment to build the £100bn renewal of the Trident weapons system, followed by an equally firm private commitment not to build it. They’re secret submarines, no one will ever know. It’s a win win.

8. Nationalisation of Adele: in order to maximise the efficient use of UK resources, the time is right for great British assets to be brought into public ownership for the common good. This is to be achieved through capital spending.

9. A moratorium until 2022 on whether Birmingham should be converted into a star base.

10. Legalisation of the hunting of fox-hunters.

11. New voting age limit of 16 to be introduced. New voting age limit of 80 to be introduced too.

12. Katie Hopkins to be banished to the Phantom Zone.

13. Stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia. Start buying lasers from Lord Buckethead.

14. Prospective MPs to live in the seat they wish to represent for at least five years before election, to improve local representation in Parliament.

15. Free bikes for everyone, to help combat obesity, traffic congestion and bike theft.

I admire you on your speed of reply.

Captain Dart

Assume those that were kept bringing up Corbyns alleged support of the IRA are appauled and will be equally vocal about the prospect of the Conservatives working with the DUP?

It turns out most people under 30 don't have a clue what they did, most of their mainland bombs were in the 70's and the Good Friday agreement was 20 years ago.

Johnnythespider

You sound bitter

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Grendel

You reference from the Daily Mail - you can hardly talk about balance...

The Mail employs a balanced range of journalists and columnists from all political spectrums.

Grendel

Right, far right, and extreme right?

Dan hodges is essentially a labour supporter

Peter Hitchens has many views that have a liberty based agenda.

Johnnythespider

Come on lads, seriously? They fucked it up on purpose? I've heard some daft conspiracy theories but this is one that would top some of the loonies on Howard Hughes' show. i'd put it down to ineptitude and a lack of empathy with the working classes.

Exactly, the Tories looked at the polls and thought it would be a cakewalk. They thought they could sit back and watch Corbyn make a fool of himself and win without breaking sweat, unbelievable disregard for the electorate.
As for those on here saying the youth vote fell for the carrot of no tuition fees, how many of you benefited from a free university education, yet you would deny that to future generations, no wonder they decided to turn out and vote.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread