General Election (8 Viewers)

clint van damme

As I said earlier, they aren't in government and it's far from ideal (and something I'm not happy with) but there isn't an alternative in terms of trying to provide some sort of short term stability. Do the maths

It won't last though.

I think it's hilarious. We're going to hell in a handcart, may as well laugh about it.

Sick Boy

As I said earlier, they aren't in government and it's far from ideal (and something I'm not happy with) but there isn't an alternative in terms of trying to provide some sort of short term stability. Do the maths

It won't last though.

It's a very sad reflection on the country and show not be condoned.

Otis

I know ! She's the only Tory of standing that's come out of the election well.

People need to remember this isn't a formal coilition with the DUP, it's pretty much an informal arrangement to pass through big policy issues and the budget. I don't like it but there isn't an alternative as there's not enough support for the other parties to form any kind of messy multi party coilition. I personally think will only last a few months....back to the polls
Think you will find that Ruth Davidson came out well before the election.

Otis

Just seen that they are actually going to be entering into a formal coalition with the DUP. What a dark, dark day for the United Kingdom.
You have to wonder just what concessions they are going to have to give the unionists.

CCFCSteve

Why is Labour policy that assist the young / students a bribe but not Conservative policies that benefit the richest in the country?
Edit: Hill beat me to it.

One thing the Tories can't be accused of in this election is bribery...they pissed off everyone !

What was in their manefesto to help the richest financially ? (Two of the most controversial policies would have hit older/richer people most...the social care policy and means testing winter fuel allowance). The significant cost of the tuition fee policy which is focussed at a very targeted group of potential voters, at a time when there is very cash little spare, is why people have classed it as a bribe.

Do you think the removal (and refund of some) tuition fees is the best use of public money in a time when we're paying not far off a billion a month just to service the national debt ? Where people are living on the streets and others are struggling to get by ? Especially when a lot of students don't have to pay them back any way ? There's one thing trying to look after pensioners, many of whom rely on very little to survive, there's another thing using a significant amount of public cash to provide free uni courses for all.

Reduce tuition fees yes, stopping them all together, not when we can't afford it. I would've preferred focussed tuition fees which would including reducing/subsidising the cost in areas we need students to study and/or just additional assistance from those from the poorest backgrounds (reintroducing the grants - which I believe was a smaller part of the policy focussed on a smaller section of students who need help most)

CCFCSteve

Ps you might've gathered, I'm more for radical thinking and reform, rather than just throw all the money we've got at everything. The same goes for the NHS. The fact is as a country we are still struggling to afford an ever increasing public spending bill each year. However much we'd all like to tax the richest and companies more to do this, it only works to a level...then they'll just fuck ! The proposed Corporation tax increase at a time when many companies are considering moving operations abroad due to brexit is something I can't believe Corbyn didn't get pulled up on more !

CCFCSteve

Shameful the Tories would risk peace in NI in order to cling onto power.

No other party was willing to form a coalition (with anyone from what I can gather). What's the alternative ?

Ps if the seriously jeopardise the peace in Ireland to stay in power they will quite rightly be unelectable for a generation

hill83

One thing the Tories can't be accused of in this election is bribery...they pissed off everyone !

What was in their manefesto to help the richest financially ? (Two of the most controversial policies would have hit older/richer people most...the social care policy and means testing winter fuel allowance). The significant cost of the tuition fee policy which is focussed at a very targeted group of potential voters, at a time when there is very cash little spare, is why people have classed it as a bribe.

Do you think the removal (and refund of some) tuition fees is the best use of public money in a time when we're paying not far off a billion a month just to service the national debt ? Where people are living on the streets and others are struggling to get by ? Especially when a lot of students don't have to pay them back any way ? There's one thing trying to look after pensioners, many of whom rely on very little to survive, there's another thing using a significant amount of public cash to provide free uni courses for all.

Reduce tuition fees yes, stopping them all together, not when we can't afford it. I would've preferred focussed tuition fees which would including reducing/subsidising the cost in areas we need students to study and/or just additional assistance from those from the poorest backgrounds (reintroducing the grants - which I believe was a smaller part of the policy focussed on a smaller section of students who need help most)

I agree with most of what you are saying about tuition fees. I'd go further and say that free tuition for all would devalue having a degree as 'everyone' would have one. But my point was it's totally wrong and insulting to call it a bribe but allow policies directed at other age groups a free pass.

Sick Boy

No other party was willing to form a coalition (with anyone from what I can gather). What's the alternative ?

Ps if the seriously jeopardise the peace in Ireland to stay in power they will quite rightly be unelectable for a generation

How can the Tories be neutral if they are in a coalition with the DUP?

clint van damme

How can a party which is opposed to austerity measures in Northern Ireland vote to support austerity measures in England and Wales and still claim to be part of the same country?

you're talking about people who think consensual gay sex between adults is worse than paedophilia so I wouldn't expect too much from them if I were you.

Sky Blue Pete

Friends in England, May is now forming a government with the help of the Democratic Unionist Party (the 'democratic' bit of the name is a hilarious joke - those guys). You may not be familiar with these fellows, so as a public service, let me introduce you to them as we muddle through this historic day...

By way of general introduction, the DUP are anti-equal marriage, anti-choice and pro-Brexit. The party was founded by Ian Paisley Snr and has a strong Presbyterian backbone (and we know how much fun those guys are!). But let's meet some of the individuals...

Jeffrey Donaldson - worked as constituency agent for Enoch Powell. I don't think I need to say anything else.

Sammy "I don't care if [gays] are ratepayers. As far as I am concerned they are perverts" Wilson. Doesn't believe in man made climate change. Basically, he is our very own Trump. But deeper orange. He described women who breastfed in the House of Commons as exhibitionists.

Gregory Campbell thinks he is hilarious in mocking the Irish language in a sort of 1970s sitcom style. OK, probably most of you won't give a shite about that, but it annoyed me!

Emma Pengelly. She opposes the extension of the 1967 Act to NI and supports the criminalisation of women who seek terminations in NI. She is a treat.

David Simpson. A creationist. Ffs. This twat even used the tired "Adam and Steve" quote in the House of Commons during the debate on equal marriage (which he voted against, of course).

Ian Paisley Jr. He doesn't hate gay people, just what they do.

Paul Girvan. A chap more than happy to allow the Irish flag to be burnt atop bonfires on the inglorious 11th. He is also a big fan on conscience clauses, ie, statutory protection for discrimination on religious grounds.

Jim Shannon. The Stella Artois of the gang. In 2015, Jim claimed £205,798 in expenses. Excluding travel. Apparently, he is just really busy. Also thought that the marriage equality bill (as was) might lead to a "chilling effect on free speech". He is concerned to protect religious freedom, which in and of itself is not an issue, but what the DUP actually wants for religious rights to prevail over others.

I think that probably gives you a flavour. As of 12.30pm today, these people have a place at the table on the decisions affecting your lives. Glad you are finally joining us!

From an Irish friend of a friend

dutchman

What was in their manefesto to help the richest financially ? (Two of the most controversial policies would have hit older/richer people most...the social care policy and means testing winter fuel allowance).

Not necessarily. A third of older people who qualify for means tested benefits don't claim some or all of them so would be hit worst by the introduction of a means test. The Tories have also said the new means test and dropping of the so-called 'Triple-Lock' would not apply to pensioners in Scotland which is a blatant electoral bribe.

hill83

Not necessarily. A third of older people who qualify for means tested benefits don't claim some or all of them so would be hit worst by the introduction of a means test. The Tories have also said the new means test and dropping of the so-called 'Triple-Lock' would not apply to pensioners in Scotland which is a blatant electoral bribe.

Don't call it a bribe. It renders my previous posts meaningless. Ha ha

Grendel

How can the Tories be neutral if they are in a coalition with the DUP?

Whether you like it or not the British public have voted for a conservative government and its manifesto above every other party.

They therefore have a right and obligation to actually deliver that.

chiefdave

If the British public had voted for a conservative government they'd have a majority and wouldn't need to be speaking to people like the DUP.

CCFCSteve

I agree with most of what you are saying about tuition fees. I'd go further and say that free tuition for all would devalue having a degree as 'everyone' would have one. But my point was it's totally wrong and insulting to call it a bribe but allow policies directed at other age group a free pass.

Point taken. It was only as it was such a significant amount and gave an immediate substantial benefit to a specific group

Grendel

If the British public had voted for a conservative government they'd have a majority and wouldn't need to be speaking to people like the DUP.

Which party has the biggest mandate after this election?

Sick Boy

Whether you like it or not the British public have voted for a conservative government and its manifesto above every other party.

That's desperate, even for you. Your failure to condemn a coalition with the DUP signals massive hypocrisy. Fair enough if you are happy with a far right party propping up a weak and unstable government.

Astute

Down to many people still not liking Corbyn I would venture. You see people on the telly and radio saying I've been labour all my life etc etc but I won't vote for that Corbyn. Weather thats down to his IRA links, his stance on nukes, his too lefty approach, the colour of his tie, I don't know. Crying shame but to be honest its more style than substance these days.

Corbyn did well considering he was "unelectable" - many people looked past the man and voted on the plan. Maybe next time round IF the party stop bickering and get on board they might do better.
The Tories only got 12 less seats than last time. Yet Corbyn is seen as a hero.

lifeskyblue

I understand what you are saying and certainly more voted for the Tories than any other party but equally of course more voted against the Tories than for them.
Tory vote + DUP vote...the coalition of crackpots 13,859,547 votes. The much 'feared' possible 'coalition of chaos' (labour, liberals, green...all parties we could all vote for) 15,771,420. I haven't included the snp 977,000+ votes here as the majority couldn't vote for them.
The problem for me is not that the Tories are trying to form a government but rather who they are trying to get in to bed with. Even moderate Tories are worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astute

That's desperate, even for you. Your failure to condemn a coalition with the DUP signals massive hypocrisy. Fair enough if you are happy with a far right party propping up a weak and unstable government.
Hypocrisy is mentioning one and backing the other.

Users who are viewing this thread