Get that clown out of goal (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Not on here though, we have goalkeeping experts who don't like Wilson and therefore know far better than our GK coach and our management team who have improved every season. Clean sheets are down to no action and the defence. Goals allowed are all down to Wilson, even when Collins is in goal.

Wilson is one of these players where there is a baying mob waiting for him to make a mistake. You can see it from this thread.

He isn't the best goalkeeper in the world but was really solid last season. He went through a bad spell in the early part of this one, and I think it is fair to say Collins deserved his chance to play. Collins does appear more solid and I think the both of them are fine. However, in the last few games I felt Collins could have done a bit better for some of the goals, and his kicking was also abysmal. I don't think it is really a massive scandal that Wilson has been given a go again. The attitudes on here compared to the reality are two different things.

Ash

Wilson is one of these players where there is a baying mob waiting for him to make a mistake. You can see it from this thread.

He isn't the best goalkeeper in the world but was really solid last season. He went through a bad spell in the early part of this one, and I think it is fair to say Collins deserved his chance to play. Collins does appear more solid and I think the both of them are fine. However, in the last few games I felt Collins could have done a bit better for some of the goals, and his kicking was also abysmal. I don't think it is really a massive scandal that Wilson has been given a go again. The attitudes on here compared to the reality are two different things.

Which goals could he have done better for out of interest? Not necessarily arguing, just curious as to which ones.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Which goals could he have done better for out of interest? Not necessarily arguing, just curious as to which ones.

Yeah, I'm not getting in a war about this (or go through and watch all the highlights because I don't have time) because I think he is a good keeper. That said, we hadn't kept a clean sheet for something like 12 games. Unless every single goal was a thunderbolt, as a manger you are going to look at that.

Happy_Martian

Compare Wilson for the Sheff Weds deflected goal. All blame on Wilson. Vs Plymouth, Collins got a clean bill of health from the pitchfork and torch wielders. Yet both deflected and both keepers caught out at their near post.

PVA

I think he should have saved Norwich's first. Can't think of many others.

But his distribution was really frustrating me. Not sure if it's managers instructions but he seems to really slow it down. Against Bristol City it was particularly frustrating, he'd dally about for a while on the ball then just chip it aimlessly to the halfway line.

I wonder if it's that sort of thing that Robins is referring to when he said Collins needed to clear his head rather than being disappointed with the goals he let in.

SBT

I think Wilson has had the benefit of playing behind a 3ATB formation which is generally safety-first. Our current back four offers less protection and we’re playing a bit more gung-ho, so I’m not surprised we’re conceding more goals.

Wilson’s ability with the ball at his feet would also come under a much harsher spotlight if he plays consistently behind a back four. While Collins’ distribution generally has been a bit spotty, his confidence on the ball counts for a lot in this formation.

Happy_Martian

He isn't the best goalkeeper in the world but was really solid last season. He went through a bad spell in the early part of this one, and I think it is fair to say Collins deserved his chance to play.

Agree and no amount of facts will stop them. Same with Godden and for a while, Simms and Wright.

Only thing I will keep on repeating is that people target Wilsons start of the season. Our whole team played crap and got both barrels on numerous occasions. The outfield players have since been granted mercy whereas Wilson is still targeted.

SBAndy

The only keeper in the league I’d be keen on is Viktor Johansson from Rotherham, especially given they’re likely to be L1 next season. However, can’t say I know enough about his distribution so may prove not to be suitable for how we want to play.

PVA

The only keeper in the league I’d be keen on is Viktor Johansson from Rotherham, especially given they’re likely to be L1 next season. However, can’t say I know enough about his distribution so may prove not to be suitable for how we want to play.

Rotherham very much a long ball team so it's hard to judge. He kicks it long more than any other keeper in the league.

SBT

Agree and no amount of facts will stop them. Same with Godden and for a while, Simms and Wright.

Only thing I will keep on repeating is that people target Wilsons start of the season. Our whole team played crap and got both barrels on numerous occasions. The outfield players have since been granted mercy whereas Wilson is still targeted.
Wilson was a great story last season, but I think there’s a fear that he was playing somewhat above his station and that a regression to the mean was coming at some point. The alternative explanation is that a journeyman lower league keeper suddenly became the Championship’s ‘best’ keeper at age 30.

Happy_Martian

Wilson was a great story last season, but I think there’s a fear that he was playing somewhat above his station and that a regression to the mean was coming at some point. The alternative explanation is that a journeyman lower league keeper suddenly became the Championship’s ‘best’ keeper at age 30.

Won't repeat all what I typed earlier but we had a solid back 5 last season and Wilson excelled. This season he didn't have that luxury and his back 5 was changed every week while our team gelled. The whole 11 got grief as noone performed well. Something people on here constantly ignore.

But now, Collins is being judged and graded on a solid back 4 that our fanbase rates as the best we have and potentially better than last season. Yet he still concedes.

And noone on this forum is wanting to give Wilson the chance to play with that same back 4 and see if he can emulate last seasons performances. And don't just look at his cup games, the back 4 has changed each game for those as well so he has had no stable group of defenders to work with.

TomRad85

There are literally no stats that back up Wilson being the better keeper. In fact they'll tell you Collins is one of the best keepers in the league. Utter madness on here sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

PVA

There are literally no stats that back up Wilson being the better keeper. In fact they'll tell you Collins is one of the best keepers in the league. Utter madness on here sometimes.

The stats show that Wilson was marginally a better shot stopper last season than Collins is this season tbf.

(but of course Wilson is much worse this season!)

Last edited:

SBAndy

I’ve ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole and decided we should sign Sam Tickle from Wigan. If only because his arms will be about 12 foot long!

The Philosopher

I mentioned before that Collins has a habit of just hoofing long - particularly problematic when we had Godden and JDS and Tats up front in the main.

Wilson seems a bit more quick to spot and bowl out.

Not saying he’s a better keeper, just stronger in some areas whereas it seems the stats show Collins a better shot stopper.

shmmeee

I mentioned before that Collins has a habit of just hoofing long - particularly problematic when we had Godden and JDS and Tats up front in the main.

Wilson seems a bit more quick to spot and bowl out.

Not saying he’s a better keeper, just stronger in some areas whereas it seems the stats show Collins a better shot stopper.

I just don’t get this. One of those comments that makes me feel like I’m going insane. Collins is by far better a long passing than Wilson and significantly better at distribution all round. The stats say so. The opposition commentators say so. My eyes say so. How to so many people come out slating Collins distribution over Wilson’s?

TomRad85

I just don’t get this. One of those comments that makes me feel like I’m going insane. Collins is by far better a long passing than Wilson and significantly better at distribution all round. The stats say so. The opposition commentators say so. My eyes say so. How to so many people come out slating Collins distribution over Wilson’s?
This is the thing that has me the most confused on this thread. Lots of mentions on his kicking when compared to many keepers it's actually pretty good and compared to Wilson he's basically De Bruyne in that regard. As you say, I've heard opposition comms mention how good it is too.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

This is the thing that has me the most confused on this thread. Lots of mentions on his kicking when compared to many keepers it's actually pretty good and compared to Wilson he's basically De Bruyne in that regard. As you say, I've heard opposition comms mention how good it is too.

I think somehow people misinterpret him marginally under/over hitting a 50 yard pass to a fullback in space as being bad with distribution whilst Wilson booting it to noone down the middle and more often than not losing possession is fine. That's the only real explanation I have.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think somehow people misinterpret him marginally under/over hitting a 50 yard pass to a fullback in space as being bad with distribution whilst Wilson booting it to noone down the middle and more often than not losing possession is fine. That's the only real explanation I have.

I think people rather hyper-focus on Wilson's mistakes and the ones Collins does just go under the radar. It's classic SBT in the sense that player I like = cannot do anything wrong. Player I don't like = shit at every turn.

The argument that Wilson was poor earlier in the season is fair enough, but some fans just gun for him. Collins' kicking might also be better overall, but recently it has been a bit shit. I suspect it is a bit of a Bidwell thing where the player has got a bit comfortable in his starting position, so Robins has changed it up to both give it some freshness, but also keep the players on their toes at the same time.

TomRad85

I think people rather hyper-focus on Wilson's mistakes and the ones Collins does just go under the radar. It's classic SBT in the sense that player I like = cannot do anything wrong. Player I don't like = shit at every turn.

The argument that Wilson was poor earlier in the season is fair enough, but some fans just gun for him. Collins' kicking might also be better overall, but recently it has been a bit shit. I suspect it is a bit of a Bidwell thing where the player has got a bit comfortable in his starting position, so Robins has changed it up to both give it some freshness, but also keep the players on their toes at the same time.
The ones Collins does don't go under the radar. The bloke made one poorly positioned wall, genuinely the only goal I can think of that you can pin on him, and he got absolutely rinsed on here, Facebook, Twitter, the lot... Wilson is far more of a cult favourite. That's probably why I seem overly harsh sometimes as frankly I don't really get it.

usskyblue

Jezuus Haych

No wonder it’s like an asylum on here when we lose… some of you need supervision after we’ve fuckingwon

Last edited:

Hobo

It amazes me how people forget that Wilson made good saves in games last year to either keep us in games or to see us over the line. It was not like the superb defence everyone talks about left him with nothing to do, to accumulate all those clean sheets.

Hertsccfc

It amazes me how people forget that Wilson made good saves in games last year to either keep us in games or to see us over the line. It was not like the superb defence everyone talks about left him with nothing to do, to accumulate all those clean sheets.
He also made some excellent saves this season. One at QPR and a match shortly after at home spring to mind. I don't get the negativity about him.

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

I’ve ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole and decided we should sign Sam Tickle from Wigan. If only because his arms will be about 12 foot long!
his sister Tess is a good footballer too!

PVA

Wilson was genuinely a good championship keeper last year.

People can say he had a good defence, that he's been poor this season and that Collins is better, but they can all be true along with the fact he was genuinely good last year. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

biggymania

It isn't solely the keeper's responsibility, but in recent games where we've really been dealing with a very hard working aggressive press from the opposition and losing the ball in dangerous areas, we continue to try and play out from the back. I think Wilson is by default less inclined to play risky passes out from the back and just get it clear.

Additionally, when we are struggling to break down the opposition and having a lot of possession, we can fall into ponderous, repetitive patterns. Wilson is pretty decent at moving the ball quickly up the field when he spots that chance.

It's definitely true that Wilson didn't really directly do anything to "earn" that clean sheet Vs Stoke, but I wonder if it's less about the shot stopping and more about how he impacts the game when he has the ball.

TomRad85

Personally dont want to see him play for us again

Hes fucking shocking. Instills zero confidence in the defence, cant catch, cant command his box, even his shot shopping has gone.
Don't forget his kicking... there's people on this thread that have criticised Collins kicking ffs. Make it make sense.
Potentially a season derailing performance from Wilson. Get him gone.

Users who are viewing this thread