Go on then, how does this end? (1 Viewer)

Tommo1993

Think there’s lots Wright has to learn, of the English game. But I don’t think he’s our poorest signing.

Grendel

Play offs are not even a question this season. In fact the league this year is much stronger than last with the 3 teams that came down and the likes of Ipswich doing their madness.

King won’t sack Robins in the middle of the season. Assessment will be made at the end of the season.

We need a couple of midfield players and another CB I think in Jan. However, languishing near relegation won’t be attractive to new players. Plus we need to see if DK will be cautious to give big money to Robins now.

I think king would sack him if he thought we won’t improve and we need to win in our next 3 - if we lost to stoke and didn’t beat millwall or Plymouth the heat is turned up considerably

Ashdown

I think king would sack him if he thought we won’t improve and we need to win in our next 3 - if we lost to stoke and didn’t beat millwall or Plymouth the heat is turned up considerably
Wouldnt that likely cost the club £3m to do that to pay up his contract…..not that I’m advocating they do that at all

ptr

We sit way too deep, mainly because of Fadz lack of pace. Just invite pressure on to us. The minute we step upe got away with it last year because Hamer could drive us out and Gyok made it stick almost every time it was sent forward.

Interesting just read on Twitter that only three teams played with 3 centre backs this weekend in the championship. All 3 failed to win and all 3 are in the bottom 5, us, Sheff Wed and Huddersfield.

Robins was on about building a new team in the summer and how he’s done it before. Well this new team needs a new formation. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 please.

ptr

Wright HAS to be given more of a chance. We can’t just get rid of our most expensive signing after half a season. Also, it’s not football manager. At the moment we wouldn’t recoup anywhere near what we paid for him. Play him consistently with the right strike partner (Simms not Godden) and see what happens. I’ve been the first to moan about him but won’t completely write him off.

Deity

I just have a horrible feeling Robins won’t be here come the end of November.
Nothing to substantiate that claim just think a couple of more defeats will trigger a decision from either party and give the incoming manager time in January.

We wouldn’t be in this position if the recruitment had been better. I don’t see any improvement in the overall squad than last season and I don't see any spirit in this side from the last few years. To many incoming to soon.
No chance

MAFF

Ditch 5 at the back.

Send Ayari back to Brighton.

Drop Dasilva.

Faze out McFadz (and Godden?)

Sign a proper midfielder in January.

Try not to think about how much we spent on Wright.

Finish 15th.

Go again next season.

Deity

O’Hare can start talking to other clubs from Jan to leave on a free next summer. We won’t be getting any transfer fee for him.
I tend to agree. I think the only issue for OHare and his agent is his recent injury. If he decides not to sign for us or anyone else in Jan and then his knee goes in April he will have zero income for 12 months and 2 bad injuries in 3 years will put many off when he goes return …..

…… it’s a big game of chicken for him but if I were advising him I’d tell to sign for someone in January.

Alkhen

We'll pick up, strengthen in January and finish just outside playoffs.

This season was always going to be 'after the lord mayor's show' granted it's been worse than I could imagine but the changes were pretty huge. The league is way stronger with a good chance the Prem teams just yo-yo straight back up. Steady the ship, bed in the new guys and build a midfield ready for next season.

Dull I know.

Otis

I wouldn't wish to see us completely get rid of McFadzean. I think he would be great to still have around the club if possible.

The Philosopher

I wouldn't wish to see us completely get rid of McFadzean. I think he would be great to still have around the club if possible.
Fadz does well with quick “kids” along side
him who have faster reaction times and do as they are told. Fadz aided by Doyle last year was constantly guiding him and Doyle had the pace to cover.

Thomas is bit more of a bruiser, slow to jockey and cannot turn as quick and is probably a bit less likely to take instruction. Kitching I’m unsure of.

Lati is more nimble and Binks reads the game well. Fadz with Thomas doesn’t work - they seem too similar.

Lati Fadz Binks with Thomas back up for Fadz and Kitching and even Bidwell for Lati/Binks is the best back 3 IMO.

Last edited:

Hertsccfc

him who have faster reaction times and do as they are told. Fadz airy Doyle last year was constantly guiding him and Doyle had the pace to cover.

Thomas is bit more of a bruiser, slow to jockey and cannot turn as quick and is probably a bit less likely to take instruction. Kitching I’m unsure of.

Lati is more nimble and Binks reads the game well. Fadz with Thomas doesn’t work - they seem too similar.

Lati Fadz Binks with Thomas back up for Fadz and Kitching and even Bidwell for Lati/Binks is the best back 3 IMO.
Doyle was a very good player but he did not have any pace. Thomas is nowhere near the same quality but is quicker.

Alkhen

There’s no chance of us offloading Wright, I don’t see why some seem to think it’s even a possibility.
And why would anyone want rid of our top scorer? Madness.

Will keep pointing out the fact he has already done way better in his first season in the championship than Vik

Wright has 718 on field mins so far this season, that is just under 8 games total. 4 goals and 1 assist isn't too bad.

Cov kid 55

It was a joke.

People yesterday kept sarcastically mentioning the "we need to give them time gel" angle to mock the more positive posters on the match thread, while we were losing, so I was just being sarcastic back this morning.
Yep, I got that👍

Hertsccfc

And why would anyone want rid of our top scorer? Madness.

Will keep pointing out the fact he has already done way better in his first season in the championship than Vik

Wright has 718 on field mins so far this season, that is just under 8 games total. 4 goals and 1 assist isn't too bad.
That's pretty impressive considering he has been in and out of the team. Simms was far better yesterday but I don't get why people keep saying they are happy with him but so vitriolic about Wright. Simms has made 16 appearances for us now and has scored in only one of them.

I hope the goals and hopefully a run of starts will give Wright confidence to become a big player for us. I liked Simms effort yesterday, which felt like the first time he really showed intent. His lack of goals though is really worrying. He needs to show yesterday's positivity every match and hopefully the goals will come.

Last edited:

skybluepm2

I still have every faith in Robins to turn this round, he’s done so time after time in the past. The irony this time is that he’s spunked a load of cash on players who were meant to take us to the next level and soften the blow of losing our 2 superstars.

chopping and changing every week isn’t helping the cause, and I was surprised that Sakamoto was dropped yesterday for the non existent Ayari. Defensively we are an utter shambles. I’m assuming the likes of Kitching and Thomas were brought in to be moulded and develop over a long term basis, but the problem is we need them to be ready now… particularly when our usually dependent oap finally looks to be coming to the end of his career at this level.

however, I don’t see how we can play a settled team or formation when there is a pile of shit making unforced errors game after game.

You can attribute a lack of confidence combined with the ‘time to gel’ notion all you like, but the latter is never going to happen when we aren’t consistent in our lineup/layout.

For what he’s achieved I for one hope he is given the chance to see the project through. Muddle through to January, hopefully in mid-table and bolster a couple of key positions to give us half a chance of an exciting second half of the season.

Wouldn’t be opposed to a flat back 4 of MVE, Bidwell, Binks and Lati for the foreseeable. Sheaf and Kelly/Eccles, COH, Saka, Palmer/Allen behind Wright who I think may come good. Simms had a decent cameo yesterday too.

The championship this season looks a completely different prospect to last, on paper there are no gimmies whatsoever. Confident we will get there albeit finishing mid-table.

fernandopartridge

him who have faster reaction times and do as they are told. Fadz airy Doyle last year was constantly guiding him and Doyle had the pace to cover.

Doyle was incredibly slow

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

It clicks. I’ve seen enough to think that and I think one or two signings in Jan even if it hasn’t clicked by then would make a huge difference.

We’re 15 games in and don’t know our best formation let alone our best XI. Second half yesterday had the feel of one of those watershed moments where Robins is forced into something that works. Hopefully they’re all at Ryton this week honing that, particular a back four.

The GK situation is hopeless. Utterly hopeless, but the rest of the team I can see a way forwards.

Defence we just need to find out CB pairing and stick to it. Fullbacks can be changed according to need/form. Can’t make out the Barnsley Boys, but they all look pretty crap, but I think whoever gels as a pairing we keep. Fadz to move to coaching

Midfield we looked OK second half, obviously missing a CM who hopefully will come in in Jan. Personally I’d flog O’Hare then if we can and bring in another AM and send Ayari back. But if not Allen, Saka, Palmer and O’Hare are OK for that 10 spot/3rd CM. Even if they don’t have a final ball between them.

Strikers we’ll be OK. Wright now has the Godden mantle of “scores goals so fuck it” with the advantage of not being able to be beaten by me in a foot race. Simms is looking better and better TBH and I think just needs a run. Ideally we’d get one more in Jan, even if just a loan.

No idea when it’ll break but it will. We are in the games far far more than first season up, and have far better players, over a season this isn’t close to a relegation team.

I actually wonder a little bit if a clean break from the “old guard” might be best for everyone long term and this is just a messy transition period.

BlueSkiesForever

I genuinely think if we want to be a consistently top 6 side for Doug’s 5 year plan then he needs to be spending another £15 million+ on this team. It’s full of potential but there’s not enough creativity or experience in the team at the moment, and it’s not a given that the potential we see in some of the players actually comes to the fore. We need a proper quality box-to-box midfielder, decent keeper, maybe an O’Hare replacement if he goes, probably another CB for when Binks goes and McFadz retires, maybe a winger that can dribble well if we go to 4 at the back.

There seriously needs to be a lot more quality in this team than we currently have, it’s nowhere near top 6 level, absolutely nowhere near it.

The Philosopher

Doyle was incredibly slow

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I recollect differently and thought he was on his toes and quick to react, Thomas is a lot more physical so maybe I’m deceived. Either way, most teams only play one big physical player up front and a Fadz type player is often needed for that duel. Doyle and McNally seemed more adept with the quicker players. Just my view.

JSL

King has to take some blame for not having a plan to replace Hamer having took the cash and no replacement lined up. Its glaringly obvious that the team is lacking as a result of that loss and all the fiddling around with formations is a desperate measure to patch it up and failing. I also think it was a mistake not to have signed McNally, regardless of the price. I believe in MR but he can only work with what he's got.

TomRad85

King has to take some blame for not having a plan to replace Hamer having took the cash and no replacement lined up. Its glaringly obvious that the team is lacking as a result of that loss and all the fiddling around with formations is a desperate measure to patch it up and failing. I also think it was a mistake not to have signed McNally, regardless of the price. I believe in MR but he can only work with what he's got.
It's up to the management team to have a plan. Not taking £15 million for a player out of contract next summer would have been incredibly irresponsible.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

You’ve got to assume they wanted more than Kitching. Though from what I’ve seen so far so would I.

Hertsccfc

It clicks. I’ve seen enough to think that and I think one or two signings in Jan even if it hasn’t clicked by then would make a huge difference.

We’re 15 games in and don’t know our best formation let alone our best XI. Second half yesterday had the feel of one of those watershed moments where Robins is forced into something that works. Hopefully they’re all at Ryton this week honing that, particular a back four.

The GK situation is hopeless. Utterly hopeless, but the rest of the team I can see a way forwards.

Defence we just need to find out CB pairing and stick to it. Fullbacks can be changed according to need/form. Can’t make out the Barnsley Boys, but they all look pretty crap, but I think whoever gels as a pairing we keep. Fadz to move to coaching

Midfield we looked OK second half, obviously missing a CM who hopefully will come in in Jan. Personally I’d flog O’Hare then if we can and bring in another AM and send Ayari back. But if not Allen, Saka, Palmer and O’Hare are OK for that 10 spot/3rd CM. Even if they don’t have a final ball between them.

Strikers we’ll be OK. Wright now has the Godden mantle of “scores goals so fuck it” with the advantage of not being able to be beaten by me in a foot race. Simms is looking better and better TBH and I think just needs a run. Ideally we’d get one more in Jan, even if just a loan.

No idea when it’ll break but it will. We are in the games far far more than first season up, and have far better players, over a season this isn’t close to a relegation team.

I actually wonder a little bit if a clean break from the “old guard” might be best for everyone long term and this is just a messy transition period.
You keep saying Simms needs a run in the team. He has featured in every single match and until the last two had started in five ir six on the trot I think.

shmmeee

You keep saying Simms needs a run in the team. He has featured in every single match and until the last two had started in five ir six on the trot I think.

That was his first sort of run. And all bar two he came off with twenty mins to go, once despite being on a hatrick.

He’s played the least minutes of the three.

SBT

And yet we still have no idea if he should be a lone striker, or partnered with Godden, or partnered with Wright, or out wide…

We showed some of the old fighting spirit 2nd half yesterday, that's what has been lacking in some recent games. If MR can just get his favoured team and formation right, and stick to it, we will be top half I reckon. It's fine to change the team and formation when driven by a match plan but I get the feeling we change for the sake of it.

Balli001

love robins but that was a weird game yesterday, lati was getting murdered down our right by their pace and we had van Ewijk sat on the bench, we went 3 up front got the 2nd goal and took a forward off and went back to 2 up front when we needed another goal, if robins tactic is just confuse the shit out of teams then it’s working, we actually looked decent with 3 upfront, maybe Way to go ? We can’t defend so we’ll just try and score more than them
We didn't. We put wright central and played van ewijk and simms as wider forwards

oscillatewildly

I honestly think this season will end (regardless of position) with Robins still not having found or settled on his best starting eleven/formation.
This will be further 'complicated' by January window acquisitions.
I don't anticipate a 'gelling' process, more one akin to a 'muddle'.

Users who are viewing this thread