Godiva Festival 2023 (1 Viewer)

pitts head

This weekend who is going?
I will be there just to meet up with some mates.
There is no one playing that excites me.
I am more excited about Blossoms at the Empire on Tuesday.
Is there anyone playing Godiva this year that I should be checking out.

Otis

This weekend who is going?
I will be there just to meet up with some mates.
There is no one playing that excites me.
I am more excited about Blossoms at the Empire on Tuesday.
Is there anyone playing Godiva this year that I should be checking out.
I have a weekend pass. No-one standing out for me either. Will probably just check out The Enemy and Cruel Hearts Club on Friday (watched a couple of YouTube videos of theirs and they were okay. One or two good tracks).

Nothing else takes my fancy really, but Selector are always good.

Otis

I have a weekend pass. No-one standing out for me either. Will probably just check out The Enemy and Cruel Hearts Club on Friday (watched a couple of YouTube videos of theirs and they were okay. One or two good tracks).

Nothing else takes my fancy really, but Selector are always good.

This song I do like. Well worth a listen

clint van damme

Can't go Friday or Saturday but might pop up Sunday.
I'm not their biggest fan but really enjoyed the Enemy down the Empire last year so I'd say give them a bash.

LastGarrison

I know this gets said every year but you really have to try and keep in context the small price you pay against the amount of different bands and artists you get to see.

However saying that, I am a little disappointed that Rudimental is only a DJ set rather than the whole band but I’m still looking forward to seeing them.

I’ve actually never seen The Enemy live as a band (saw Tom Clarke at Godiva a few years back) so really looking forward to that and think the crowd will be well up for!

Apart from that looking forward to seeing the Two Tone Orchestra and then some of the Cov performers The Session, Caitlin McCarthy etc.

Always enjoy Godiva and there’s always a few surprises in there along the way!

skybluetony176

I’ve been informed that I’m going on Saturday. Haven’t looked at the line up yet but what can people recommend for a 50 year old grey haired white “boy” whose favourite genres are Metal and Hip Hop?

SkyBlueScottie

Going up Friday, will go and see The Enemy, it will be the 5th / 6th time seeing them, but its a quality album,and they are decent live.

Johnnythespider

Second year not going, as the price goes up the acts get worse imo, Sunday looks like an episode of the X Factor, being honest I'm not that enamoured with how the festival has gone as it's grown, I preferred the smaller free festival it used to be, each to their own though, have a good time if you're going.

LastGarrison

Second year not going, as the price goes up the acts get worse imo, Sunday looks like an episode of the X Factor, being honest I'm not that enamoured with how the festival has gone as it's grown, I preferred the smaller free festival it used to be, each to their own though, have a good time if you're going.
The last year it was free was absolutely feral though and I actually think this year it has gone back to a bit more how it used to be with lots of local talent playing but I get what you're saying.

Personally, I think if you even see one act you like then it's still an absolute steal and maybe we've been a bit spoilt with some of the acts that have played over the years and Radio 1 Big Weekend etc.

Johnnythespider

The last year it was free was absolutely feral though and I actually think this year it has gone back to a bit more how it used to be with lots of local talent playing but I get what you're saying.

Personally, I think if you even see one act you like then it's still an absolute steal and maybe we've been a bit spoilt with some of the acts that have played over the years and Radio 1 Big Weekend etc.
Fair points and I do get why they changed it, as you say it was becoming a free for all, absolutely good value if there is someone you want to see on.

chiefdave

Said it before but why not grow it into something like Victorious in Portsmouth. If they're going to charge then do it properly and get better acts in

LastGarrison

Said it before but why not grow it into something like Victorious in Portsmouth. If they're going to charge then do it properly and get better acts in
And then everyone moans about the cost and they can't win.

I think early bird prices broke down to something like £5 for Friday, £7.50 for Saturday and £2.50 for Sunday. Worth paying just for a mooch around if nothing else.

It will always divide local opinion but personally I think they've got it about right and there will be 1000's there over the weekend, many from outside of the city, which again can only be a good thing in my opinion.

shmmeee

Same. Been once since it professionalised and it was awful. Just dead and boring and overpriced shite everywhere.

As a free event for Coventrians that attracted pretty much everyone over a weekend it was great. As Pound Shop Glasto it’s crap IMO.

Otis

i know some of the people involved in putting it on and they genuinely think they book brilliant line ups every year.
They have had some great acts on over the years and Mel C is a bit of a big draw you would say (I am not a fan)

She played Glastonbury last weekend.

It's definitely worth the money. I have a weekend pass and there is hardly anyone I want to see, but I think if I get to see two decent bands, I will have got my value for money.

David O'Day

They have had some great acts on over the years and Mel C is a bit of a big draw you would say (I am not a fan)

She played Glastonbury last weekend.

It's definitely worth the money. I have a weekend pass and there is hardly anyone I want to see, but I think if I get to see two decent bands, I will have got my value for money.
Line up has got worse as the price goes up. Some people will like it but they do think it compares to other festivals like Victorious but then again the people who book Godiva aren't really pro's and the ones at other festivals are ;)

Otis

Line up has got worse as the price goes up. Some people will like it but they do think it compares to other festivals like Victorious but then again the people who book Godiva aren't really pro's and the ones at other festivals are ;)
Yeah, I do think the lineup has got worse over the years. I agree.

shmmeee

Im fine if Godiva wants to become a festival festival. But I would like some event that gets everyone in Cov down somewhere. I miss that Piccadilly Circus feeling of standing in one spot and everyone you’d ever met would pass by at some point.

NorthernWisdom

Im fine if Godiva wants to become a festival festival. But I would like some event that gets everyone in Cov down somewhere. I miss that Piccadilly Circus feeling of standing in one spot and everyone you’d ever met would pass by at some point.
It grew too big for itself really.

But yeah, what made it unique was it was free and open - there'd always be somebody you'd be happy to see, even if it wasn't top level acts.

Otis

Just watched the Cruel Hearts Club. They were very, very good. Went down really well and both my daughter and I really enjoyed their set

Getting my value for money so far.

👍

oscillatewildly

Nah, NFI. Seen some great bands there in the past tho - Going back even to the nineties. - bands playing off the back of a flat bed with a PA supplied by the (reserve) drummers uncle, no fencing, certainly no tents (or 'stages') walking in with slabs of beer. No fairground. No need for security checks. The odd occasional communal fire. No exploitative beer and food merchant gate crashing.
No stabbings but rumours of at least three serious arguments over the entire weekend.

Otis

Nah, NFI. Seen some great bands there in the past tho - Going back even to the nineties. - bands playing off the back of a flat bed with a PA supplied by the (reserve) drummers uncle, no fencing, certainly no tents (or 'stages') walking in with slabs of beer. No fairground. No need for security checks. The odd occasional communal fire. No exploitative beer and food merchant gate crashing.
No stabbings but rumours of at least three serious arguments over the entire weekend.
Yeah, get all that, but I don't buy the food, don't drink the beer and don't use the funfair.

I just go and watch a few good bands and then also head over to the community tents side of the field.

I feel I can have just a nice a time as I always have there.

That one band tonight, Cruel Hearts Club, I would have gladly paid £10 to see if they had been performing a gig somewhere, just themselves.

I definitely get value for money.

Last edited:

oscillatewildly

Yeah, get all that, but I don't buy the food, don't drink the beer and don't use the funfair.

I just go and watch a few good bands and then also head over to the community tents side of the field.

I feel I can have just a nice a time as I always have there.

That's band tonight, Cruel Hearts Club, I would have gladly paid £10 to see if they had been performing a gig somewhere, just themselves.

I definitely get value for money.
I must admit I have enjoyed the community tents in recent years and the quick short cut through the thicket to the City Arms post last band.

Otis

I must admit I have enjoyed the community tents in recent years and the quick short cut through the thicket to the City Arms post last band.
Yeah, always find the community tent interesting.

Plus my daughter's friend is performing tomorrow, so I will try and catch her too. That's on a stage on the community field somewhere.

chiefdave

Just watched the Cruel Hearts Club. They were very, very good. Went down really well and both my daughter and I really enjoyed their set

Getting my value for money so far.

👍
They seem to be on every tour going at the moment, fun band

The Enemy were great, amazing atmosphere

Top quality security that seemingly didn't spot people brining in multipacks of flares. Wouldn't this even fall under the same safety group as the CBS arena? Can't have a bottle top on the arena as its too dangerous but seemingly didn't think letting people have cans to chuck around could be an issue

Users who are viewing this thread