Gyokeres (4 Viewers)

Balli001

I'm just trying to get across the point that Vik doesn't have to agree to go anywhere else so value is a more complex issue than many are imagining here. It wouldn't matter what your West Hams or whoever might hypothetically agree to pay. He might agree to talk terms with another party, he might be persuaded by his agent etc etc but he doesn't have to. The point is that any negotiation includes Vik too.
Of course it does but do you seriously think is he is going to hold on for another year? This is his best time to get a move while his stock is high. Despite what he may or may not feel about Sporting, he would still be open to a move to the premier league if the opportunity came about. We need to get the most money we can and the figures posted right now are not the best we can acheive before we even enter July.

Flying Fokker

I don’t care where he goes, what country, what club etc. but they have to meet the minimum threshold for him. Gyokeres doesn’t have a right to dictate what that threshold is, which is exactly what I was getting at and DK has raised too.

You’ve distorted the water and gone for the emotional point scoring and comparing to employment which isn’t the case. He’s not an employee, he’s a commodity asset on a 3 year contract and if someone externally wants to end that contract and register him, they have to pay what we determine/the market demand for him. Gyokeres is being selfish (self centred) by only seeing that scenario by what’s best for himself.

Yes we sang his name and he was great on the pitch for us, doesn’t mean he’s got a free pass to dictate and disrespect.
So, I may be totally wrong, but surely there is a minimum threshold through which Gyokeres moves on. Possibly contractual, but who knows on here? If he sells for more, then happy days

Speedie's Head

Of course it does but do you seriously think is he is going to hold on for another year?
I think it would be very damaging for both parties to end up in that situation. As far as I can tell Vik holds most of the cards - the club needs the money from the sale to rebuild the squad.

Last edited:

slowpoke

Of course it does but do you seriously think is he is going to hold on for another year? This is his best time to get a move while his stock is high. Despite what he may or may not feel about Sporting, he would still be open to a move to the premier league if the opportunity came about. We need to get the most money we can and the figures posted right now are not the best we can acheive before we even enter July.
He would have to if the club does, that could cost him up to three-quarters of a million quid.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think it would be very damaging for both parties to end up in that situation. As far as I can tell Vik holds most of the cards - the club needs the money from the sale to rebuild the squad.

Does he? I just can’t see a scenario where he’d refuse to go to a Prem team if push came to shove. He isn’t a free agent yet.

As things stand, Sporting cannot meet our demands, it’s early in the window and one of the Prem teams will step up their interest.

I highly doubt we’d be playing hard ball if Sporting were the only party involved. £17m with bonuses and sell on fee is a good return, but not if there’s other offers to consider.

Last edited:

Speedie's Head

I highly doubt we’d be playing hard ball if Sporting were the only party involved. £17m with bonuses and sell on fee is a good return, but not if there’s other offers to consider.
I wouldn't argue with that but he has to want to go to another bidder, be prepared to be rotated, sit out when he's a bit off the boil etc. I could quite understand it if that's not what he wants.

David O'Day

I wouldn't argue with that but he has to want to go to another bidder, be prepared to be rotated, sit out when he's a bit off the boil etc. I could quite understand it if that's not what he wants.
On of the other bidders will make it worth his while

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Self-serving? He's a footballer looking for the next move in his career, it can only be self-serving
Yes but you shut up and wait to hear what opportunities are on the table for you. It’s early days and we have only had one low offer that the general public knows about, yet him and his agent are in PR overdrive trying to guilt trip the owner and club.

The deal has to be good for all parties, not just Gyokeres and his agent. This shouldn’t be that hard for a sane adult to grasp.

The sooner we have the market value for him and he’s gone, the sooner we can concentrate on investing in the team and those that are still here.

slowpoke

Yes but you shut up and wait to hear what opportunities are on the table for you. It’s early days and we have only had one low offer that the general public knows about, yet him and his agent are in PR overdrive trying to guilt trip the owner and club.

The deal has to be good for all parties, not just Gyokeres and his agent. This shouldn’t be that hard for a sane adult to grasp.

The sooner we have the market value for him and he’s gone, the sooner we can concentrate on investing in the team and those that are still here.
Have we had an offer, who off ?

PurpleBin

Thinking about it, if he goes to Lisbon, tears it up, does well in Europe he could then still be on for a PL/big club move anyway just in a couple of years.

fernandopartridge

I only shut up because journalists don't tend to come and ask me whether anybody has offered me a job recently.

Nuskyblue

No idea. He'd be top dog, guaranteed game time, playing in Europe, etc etc but that's all guess work.
European football for 1
And they would also qualify for European football year on year with a decent chance of Champions League football. which he would not be getting at West Ham or Everton... If he was there for a few years he would also be more likely to actually win something. I know where I'd prefer to live as well.

usskyblue

Farrrkinell…

tired-dragging.gif

Finham

I agree with this but v few fans were complaining at the time.
He also brought Dublin, McAllister and Huckerby to the club in the first place (the last of which was sold to pave the way for Keane).
No internet to whinge on back then, but I wasn't alone in raising an eyebrow at the fees paid for Shaw, Daish, Salako-even Breen, who turned out better but was often not picked ahead of "Williams & Shaw" (even worse, played at RB-he says in Staying Up I think that he'd rather be shot than play there!) We over paid for Gary Mc who wasn't really brilliant until his last season with us. The fees for some of these players accelerated the crowd getting on their back, especially Salako.

NorthernWisdom

No internet to whinge on back then, but I wasn't alone in raising an eyebrow at the fees paid for Shaw, Daish, Salako-even Breen, who turned out better but was often not picked ahead of "Williams & Shaw" (even worse, played at RB-he says in Staying Up I think that he'd rather be shot than play there!) We over paid for Gary Mc who wasn't really brilliant until his last season with us. The fees for some of these players accelerated the crowd getting on their back, especially Salako.
Some of those are harsh. Both Salako and Shaw were England internationals, Williams had a half decent rep, and McAllister had been star for Leeds when they won the league title.

Salako was actually not bad at all until we changed system and indeed, that season I remember Trevor Brooking in his Radio Times pre-season preview (those were the days) tipping us as dark horses for the title! Generally the signings weren't unreasonable as such, but Atkinson was well past his best (and arguably had been since West Brom really), while Strachan had no experience as manager, did alright when Alex Miller was there to do tactics, but was generally out of his depth as manager.

Missed opportunity, for sure, and it was as much because the board couldn't pick a good manager to save their life. Continued with Nilsson (again, when Money was there to do the tactics, all was well), McAllister... and we know the rest!

And Richardson was far too loyal to Strachan, if he'd gone during our relegation season we might have stood a chance, and maybe fresh eyes the next season could have seen a very different result than lurching into a caretaker who then did well enough to get the job by default really.

Finham

Salako was a really good player in his youth but had a very bad injury and wasn't nearly the same player when he came to us-just not the same pace. Also, yes an England International, but he was mostly picked in a tour of Asia and Australia and had 2 games against New Zealand and 1 against Malaysia. I think I remember him being really good against Australia on his debut.

Hertsccfc

Salako was a really good player in his youth but had a very bad injury and wasn't nearly the same player when he came to us-just not the same pace. Also, yes an England International, but he was mostly picked in a tour of Asia and Australia and had 2 games against New Zealand and 1 against Malaysia. I think I remember him being really good against Australia on his debut.
I agree although the really bad signings were Daish and Jess. Shaw was sort of effective despite his clear lack of footballing skill.

JimmyHillsbeard

Salako was a decent player for Atkinson (was involved in an England squad while with us but not picked to play). He simply failed to understand what Strachan wanted him to do and their relationship fell apart. He’s mentioned it in several interviews.

Shaw was a masterful defender and ahead of his time with the dark arts of holding and shirt pulling. Had Coleman joined when he was supposed to they might have continued their excellent partnership from Palace.

Shaw was also one of the leading lights in the dressing room. He apparently told McSheffrey and Thompson that the aim of the first championship season was to finish in the top two or outside the top six since they needed to be in Ibiza in early May when the play offs were on!

Breen looked like Beckenbauer on his debut (0-0 at Sheffield Wednesday) but was never the same after that FA Cup game at Everton when he was apparently involved in a bust up with the mgmt over an unsanctioned house move from Leamington to London.

In fairness I’d take any of the three over Jean Guy-Walleme, Regis Genaux or Phillippe Clement.

Meanwhile Simon Haworth, Kyle Lightbourne, and Ysreal Zuniga suggest it wasn’t just in defence that Strachan had a blind spot.

AFCCOVENTRY

Salako was a decent player for Atkinson (was involved in an England squad while with us but not picked to play). He simply failed to understand what Strachan wanted him to do and their relationship fell apart. He’s mentioned it in several interviews.

Shaw was a masterful defender and ahead of his time with the dark arts of holding and shirt pulling. Had Coleman joined when he was supposed to they might have continued their excellent partnership from Palace.

Shaw was also one of the leading lights in the dressing room. He apparently told McSheffrey and Thompson that the aim of the first championship season was to finish in the top two or outside the top six since they needed to be in Ibiza in early May when the play offs were on!

Breen looked like Beckenbauer on his debut (0-0 at Sheffield Wednesday) but was never the same after that FA Cup game at Everton when he was apparently involved in a bust up with the mgmt over an unsanctioned house move from Leamington to London.

In fairness I’d take any of the three over Jean Guy-Walleme, Regis Genaux or Phillippe Clement.

Meanwhile Simon Haworth, Kyle Lightbourne, and Ysreal Zuniga suggest it wasn’t just in defence that Strachan had a blind spot.

Zuniga never got the chance he should have.

slowpoke

Do you know we haven't had one? Do they ring you up and confirm all business to you before being made public?

Bit of an immature answer not a surprise but I’ll play the game and reverse your question has anybody rung you up and say they have ?

JimmyHillsbeard

Zuniga never got the chance he should have.

Possibly but it’s not like he set the world alight anywhere else was it? I suspect that given the chance he would have largely failed to take it.

There are far more serious cases of Strachan failing to get a tune out of proven players - John Aloisi, Viorel Moldovan and - dare I say it - Craig Bellamy.

fernandopartridge

Possibly but it’s not like he set the world alight anywhere else was it? I suspect that given the chance he would have largely failed to take it.

There are far more serious cases of Strachan failing to get a tune out of proven players - John Aloisi, Viorel Moldovan and - dare I say it - Craig Bellamy.
Zuniga was similar to Tavares now, one great goal but always looked a bit out of place, strange movement and positioning

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

Tbf Moldovan was more that the increased competition meant Dublin and Huckerby were on fire. Wasn't Moldovan himself that was a particular failure, he just never got a look in.

Agree about the other two mind you, but again Aloisi was as much he wasn't a favourite so was always the one to be dropped.

CovCity2023

And they would also qualify for European football year on year with a decent chance of Champions League football. which he would not be getting at West Ham or Everton... If he was there for a few years he would also be more likely to actually win something. I know where I'd prefer to live as well.

Users who are viewing this thread