Transfer Rumour Haji Wright (4 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

He’s nowhere near as bad as some are making out and you can see why we’ve paid decent money for him. I reckon he’ll end up on around 12-15 goals this season and push on the next one.
If he continues getting into the positions he does but takes the chances he’d get 20+.

SBAndy

Looking back at his underlying stats, it seems that Wright has never been a prolific finisher. His xG generally speaking has been higher than his xGOT. By the looks of it, this isn’t true for many of the division’s top strikers. Significant downward swing so far this season, by far the most pronounced of his career, so he is capable of better.

Based on his xG (assuming about 35 games played this season) he would get 27 goals. xGOT at present is down at 15. Likely to finish somewhere between the two I’d say.

Saturday’s game, the stats tell me that the chance for Godden’s goal was a decent enough finish but an excellent save; the other two he probably should have done better,

shmmeee

Looking back at his underlying stats, it seems that Wright has never been a prolific finisher. His xG generally speaking has been higher than his xGOT. By the looks of it, this isn’t true for many of the division’s top strikers. Significant downward swing so far this season, by far the most pronounced of his career, so he is capable of better.

Based on his xG (assuming about 35 games played this season) he would get 27 goals. xGOT at present is down at 15. Likely to finish somewhere between the two I’d say.

Saturday’s game, the stats tell me that the chance for Godden’s goal was a decent enough finish but an excellent save; the other two he probably should have done better,

Where are you getting his xG from Turkey? I couldn’t find it

Briles

Say it time and time again wright is a winger not a striker. Most of his goals from Turkey were from the wing and that is where he is most effective. Robins has just seen someone tall and fast who scored goals and stuck him down the middle.

steve cooper

It's good to see some sensible posts on this. It could be that Haji has been told to keep his shots on target, either that or he may have decided that himself, resulting in him avoiding the corners of the goal, and keeping his shots low.
And although it wasn't an assist, the first goal against Millwall absolutely wouldn't have been scored without his input.
I'm sure it's just a confidence thing which will get better if/when we put a run together.

Mucca Mad Boys

Tbf the fallacy of 'once one goes in he'll go on a run' is bollocks

Didnt go on a run after boro
Didnt after Blackburn
Didnt after Preston

That’s not how form works and even a sceptic like yourself surely has to acknowledge that being in the right positions to score goals is a promising sign.

I’m sure it’s not personal, but you do seem like you have an axe to grind with Wright and it’s pretty ugly.

Be patient, he’s not even been here for 6 months and you’ve made your mind up already.

SlowerThanPlatt

If you watch the highlights his play was nearly always down the wing and cutting in.

Yes, you can go into more than one area of the pitch. A lot of Gyokeres’ best work was wide too, didn’t mean we were playing him as a winger.

Last edited:

steve cooper

That’s not how form works and even a sceptic like yourself surely has to acknowledge that being in the right positions to score goals is a promising sign.

I’m sure it’s not personal, but you do seem like you have an axe to grind with Wright and it’s pretty ugly.

Be patient, he’s not even been here for 6 months and you’ve made your mind up already.
That's absolutely right. Lots of things can contribute, including the team form.

Mucca Mad Boys

That's absolutely right. Lots of things can contribute, including the team form.

We’re a team in transition, we’ve gutted the whole team and had to replace our 2 best players.

If view Operation Premier League as a project, which I do, then we have to be pragmatic and accept it’ll take a few transfer windows for things to come together. Especially if 4-3-3 is here to stay because we don’t really have the personnel for it.

McFadz and Wilson appear to be two more mainstays in the team to be jettisoned too.

shmmeee

Tbf I don't think the formation change was part of the plan at all so its not going entirely as planned.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I don’t think it was second season in L1 either. I doubt signing Brown and Agogo then letting them go a year later was in the plans either. I just think it’s important to keep in mind that Robins has successfully managed a transition before and it hasn’t always gone smoothly. I’d need to see where we are next season before deciding whether he’s hit his wall or not.

Briles

Yes, you can go into more than one area of the pitch. A lot of Gyokeres’ best work was wide too, didn’t mean we were playing him as a winger.

Swansea did and he played out wide when he first came to us. Robins turned him into a CF

The Philosopher

We’re a team in transition, we’ve gutted the whole team and had to replace our 2 best players.

If view Operation Premier League as a project, which I do, then we have to be pragmatic and accept it’ll take a few transfer windows for things to come together. Especially if 4-3-3 is here to stay because we don’t really have the personnel for it.

McFadz and Wilson appear to be two more mainstays in the team to be jettisoned too.
I agree that we had to replace our two best players.

The problem is that we haven’t replaced them.

Obviously, Vik at the end of his development here was probably irreplaceable and Wright hasn’t performed to a high enough level.

Hamer has not been replaced and that has cost us and hence the change in formation.

It seems we set out to carry on with the formation of recent years by buying / getting in 2 wing backs in JDS and MVE but without a Hamer type the system didn’t work. Ayari in that role is a no go. Eccles is a better player now than 6 months ago. Possibly he could do the role but he’s good alongside Sheaf in front of the defence.

WRT Wilson, I hope he’s the type of bloke who keeps his head down and chin up (so to speak) if not I’m sure there are challenger L1 teams who’ll pay a fee for the Championship golden glove.

One of our ITKs has suggested we are buying in a Hamer replacement. If so, and with O’Hare fit and Palmer as his cover, it’ll be interesting if 4-3-3 stays.

Sheaf and Eccles (with Kelly as replacement) as sitting midfielders seems to be the backbone in front of either 2 or 3 cbs.

I suppose we’ll have options.

shmmeee

People keep banging on about Dasilva and van Ewijk being unable to play full back.

Dasilva’s career:

IMG_0413.jpeg

van Ewijk:

IMG_0414.jpeg

As a reminder. WB is Left/right midfield on this site.

Saddlebrains

Yea i do i suppose

I want him to score more fucking goals

Same with Simms

Thats what they were brought for no?

Blind-Faith

XG! 🍆💦💦💦💦💦💦

PVA

The first two chances for Wright were excellent saves, but he should have done better with the second one though. If he goes low, as he did, then he has to go at the keeper to knock it through his legs. If he goes for the far post, as he did, then he has to lift it a little to clear the keeper's legs.

Easy in hindsight I know, and it was still a great save, but he should have scored. Not that it mattered in the end.

His runs and movement is really good, I think he will start scoring regularly soon.

Mucca Mad Boys

Yea i do i suppose

I want him to score more fucking goals

Same with Simms

Thats what they were brought for no?

He cost a lot of money so I want him work out too! If he’s a bust, it could impact the working relationship between Robins and Doug King. Especially given the context of some poor form.

It so happens that Robins has so much credit in the bank, we’d have to genuinely be in a relegation battle for his job security to be called into question.

I’ve seen some things in Wright to think he’ll come good and hope he settles down and performs well.

On a personal note, I’ve recently moved away from Coventry and I don’t feel settled in yet after a few months. That’s down the road from Cov (I can make KO tomorrow) - let alone moving from Turkey!

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

It's good to see some sensible posts on this. It could be that Haji has been told to keep his shots on target, either that or he may have decided that himself, resulting in him avoiding the corners of the goal, and keeping his shots low.
And although it wasn't an assist, the first goal against Millwall absolutely wouldn't have been scored without his input.
I'm sure it's just a confidence thing which will get better if/when we put a run together.
Incredible that a player might have to be told to keep his shots on target or that he might have to think that out for himself.

Mucca Mad Boys

I agree that we had to replace our two best players.

The problem is that we haven’t replaced them.

Obviously, Vik at the end of his development here was probably irreplaceable and Wright hasn’t performed to a high enough level.

Hamer has not been replaced and that has cost us and hence the change in formation.

It seems we set out to carry on with the formation of recent years by buying / getting in 2 wing backs in JDS and MVE but without a Hamer type the system didn’t work. Ayari in that role is a no go. Eccles is a better player now than 6 months ago. Possibly he could do the role but he’s good alongside Sheaf in front of the defence.

WRT Wilson, I hope he’s the type of bloke who keeps his head down and chin up (so to speak) if not I’m sure there are challenger L1 teams who’ll pay a fee for the Championship golden glove.

One of our ITKs has suggested we are buying in a Hamer replacement. If so, and with O’Hare fit and Palmer as his cover, it’ll be interesting if 4-3-3 stays.

Sheaf and Eccles (with Kelly as replacement) as sitting midfielders seems to be the backbone in front of either 2 or 3 cbs.

I suppose we’ll have options.

Personally, I think Simms and Wright will come good and we’ll be overall better off.

Hamer hasn’t been replaced yet but it’s important not to rush into buying a player to get someone in. If we have to be weak for a few months in that area, so be it if it means we eventually get the right replacement in.

JDS and MVE will be fine in fullback roles and I’m personally excited about how MVE will develop.

I’m an optimist and think longer term, we need to strengthen the midfield and the defence of we were to go back to 3-4-1-2.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

My tuppence on the three chances.

First one, with the push in the back, I felt was a decent save and Wright did well to get it on target given the shove,
Second one, leading to Godden's goal, I thought he could have got the shot away quicker and had to take an extra touch as he miscontrolled it
Third, I felt he had a lot of time and room and probably should have scored, though the keeper did his job well

Credit where it's due, he was in those positions and got all of them on target. Lots of goals are scored with scuffs/miskicks or keeper errors but at least they're on target to go in.

Users who are viewing this thread