Hamer (4 Viewers)

Matt smith

I’m late 20’s and he’s one of if not the best player I’ve seen play for us, if goes it’ll be gutting and will rule us out of a top six charge imo

but after his replacements bed in we should be good to go the season after

will just cut slightly deeper if he goes to another team in the championship

CCFCSteve

COH is a 10. He doesn’t have the passing or defensive ability to play as an 8. He’s not going start spreading play like Hamer does either. He’s great as a 10 because of his movement and passes in tight areas around the box, 1-2’s etc and his work rate. You move him deeper and it will be a detriment to the good effect he has on the team.

Unless we buy a direct replacement I think you have sheaf and Eccles in centre and COH in a 10 with either Palmer/Sakamoto alongside him away from home/against stronger teams in a box or Simms and Wright up to top at home. I still think that’s strong but problems if either sheaf or Eccles get injured.

mmttww

Doesn’t have the strength or passing range for CM IMO.

I don't think he's noticeably weaker than Hamer but I won't argue on the passing range. I just wondered if we'd never got to see whether he has that or not because he's always played as a 10 where there's no need to show it.

mmttww

COH is a 10. He doesn’t have the passing or defensive ability to play as an 8. He’s not going start spreading play like Hamer does either. He’s great as a 10 because of his movement and passes in tight areas around the box, 1-2’s etc and his work rate. You move him deeper and it will be a detriment to the good effect he has on the team.
Agree - I don't want to lose what he offers at 10, was imagining a situation where we don't have Hamer but still have all our other current midfielders, and who could do a job if needed.

Eccles doesn't carry the ball well enough so that ruled him out, similar with Sheaf. It occured to me I'd never thought about O'Hare playing deeper as we had no other options as a 10.

With Palmer and maybe Sakamoto (maybe Allen) able to do a job at 10, giving him a shot at 8 when he's back, given we've adapted to playing without him, might be a useful experiment.

CCFCSteve

I don’t doubt that we’d miss hamer massively as an individual if he left but people are forgetting the fact that we should have a lot more pace/energy down the flanks, hopefully Ohare coming back soon and two strikers who will be a handful. We’ve also seen how Eccles has step up in a more defensive role which might be needed with the above attacking set up and threats.

Our team shape and strengths will change but that’s not to say if the new lads bed in well and Ohares back to his best, we can’t be as strong overall

SHUNT31

There will be players on our radar should Hamer leave without having to shoehorn any of the current squad into that role. It’s clear we don’t have anyone that can do what he can do, look what happened at Wembley and on Sunday when he went off.

Like others, I didn’t get to enjoy the PL days and so he is the best player I’ve ever seen play for us, so when he does leave I will be gutted. But I trust MR and our recruitment to find a suitable replacement.

SleepyGinger

I’ve said it before but I honestly don’t think Gus would want a move to another team in this league. Leeds would probably pay him 30k a week but he’d be giving his prime years to a club who might be rotting in the championship with 5 managers in 2 years. I think he’d rather stay here for a year then pick his club in the summer.

napolimp

I think he will want to go to whoever pays him the most, no matter what league its in.

Why? Some people move to whatever job pays them the most, but a lot of people tend to choose jobs based on more than just salary, with other factors to consider. I could move to companies who would pay me more, but my career decisions are based off more than just that.

hamertime

Why? Some people move to whatever job pays them the most, but a lot of people tend to choose jobs based on more than just salary, with other factors to consider. I could move to companies who would pay me more, but my career decisions are based off more than just that.
I get that, but an extra few grand a year compared to an extra 10 grand a week usually sways it.

napolimp

I get that, but an extra few grand a year compared to an extra 10 grand a week usually sways it.

Why? It's all relative. Half of an extra 10k a week would go on tax anyway. I think you're oversimplifying the lives of footballers, they are people after all and some are more complex than "who will give me the most money".

Grendel

you are not a footballer

Brighton Sky Blue

Why? It's all relative. Half of an extra 10k a week would go on tax anyway. I think you're oversimplifying the lives of footballers, they are people after all and some are more complex than "who will give me the most money".
Well yes, see Mbappe turning down €1 billion for a year’s work versus Jordan Henderson selling his soul for about £35 million.

djr8369

I don’t doubt that we’d miss hamer massively as an individual if he left but people are forgetting the fact that we should have a lot more pace/energy down the flanks, hopefully Ohare coming back soon and two strikers who will be a handful. We’ve also seen how Eccles has step up in a more defensive role which might be needed with the above attacking set up and threats.

Our team shape and strengths will change but that’s not to say if the new lads bed in well and Ohares back to his best, we can’t be as strong overall
Came to make similar points. He’s a special player but it feels he will go somewhere else for more money.

However, we have (hopefully) upgraded our strike force and wingbacks. With say Sheaf and Eccles playing in the middle that might help the wingbacks focus on getting forwards and we’ve got two big forwards now. We also have a few good players to rotate in the 10 position to keep up the energy there.
Maybe we will miss him less than we fear.

Grendel

You are not a human.

Why doesn’t the entire planet work in Dubai or wherever? Of course people take more than money into account. I’m sure everyone here has had job offers of good money but terrible location they’ve had to turn down.

Footballers cannot be compared to people in normal jobs.

A far shorter career
Throughout most players lives they have been at some point rejected and they develop a survival instinct
They when academy players will see many mates thrown on the scrap heap and dejection that causes
They are fully aware their current employer has zero loyalty to them. If an offer is made to the club they want they will “persuade” the player to leave. If form drops or injuries occur the much expected new contract vanishes.
In addition top footballers entire existence is controlled by outside agencies who make all strategic decisions for them
It’s a dog eat dog existence which all parties sign up to. Loyalty isn’t a word that exists.

Brighton Sky Blue

you are not a footballer
You are not a human.
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Grendel

Many players who earn large amounts invest into pension schemes through their agents so actually half the money likely won’t go on tax

Torquay Sky Blue

Footballers cannot be compared to people in normal jobs.

A far shorter career
Throughout most players lives they have been at some point rejected and they develop a survival instinct
They when academy players will see many mates thrown on the scrap heap and dejection that causes
They are fully aware their current employer has zero loyalty to them. If an offer is made to the club they want they will “persuade” the player to leave. If form drops or injuries occur the much expected new contract vanishes.
In addition top footballers entire existence is controlled by outside agencies who make all strategic decisions for them
It’s a dog eat dog existence which all parties sign up to. Loyalty isn’t a word that exists.
Yes , it's a case of ... I don't want to go, I don't want to go.
How much ? Where do I sign?

fatso

Many players who earn large amounts invest into pension schemes through their agents so actually half the money likely won’t go on tax
You are very limited in how much you can pay into a pension fund.
And once that fund exceeds your lifetime allowance, your taxed to fuck.
And once you start drawing that pension, your taxed again!

You can't beat the tax man.

SHUNT31

You are very limited in how much you can pay into a pension fund.
And once that fund exceeds your lifetime allowance, your taxed to fuck.
And once you start drawing that pension, your taxed again!

You can't beat the tax man.
If the pension scheme is in UK yes.

Users who are viewing this thread