How are you feeling? (3 Viewers)

Grendel

They work by inhibiting the pathway your body uses to make cholesterol, so perhaps you have that higher than usual. Most of your blood cholesterol comes from that rather than your diet, my dad’s side of the family all have quite high levels of it.

I was advised to go on them due to age and family history - I didn’t have especially high levels

Brighton Sky Blue

I was advised to go on them due to age and family history - I didn’t have especially high levels
You might not, but as it's implicated in heart disease then if you're older and there's history in your family, there's a benefit in getting the levels lower.

Covkid1968#

Just been prescribed with Statins. Had a text from the surgery saying my profile suggested I would benefit from them. When I called the surgery was told there is a programme of profiling patient's records and I presume an algorithm highlights any potential problem down the line.
When I last had a check-up all was in order.
Anyway, on the basis that the computer never lies, decided to take them.
It's good the NHS seem to be getting pro-active with prevention rather than an early illness onset.
Just had the same but opted not to do it. I was over 10% on their score. I opted to change the diet and drink less for 6 months to see how I get on 🤷🏻

SkyBlueSoul

Just had the same but opted not to do it. I was over 10% on their score. I opted to change the diet and drink less for 6 months to see how I get on 🤷🏻
My mum was offered statins by her doctor, but was advised against them by the nurse. Apparently they can cause some bad side effects and she decided it wasn't worth it. Like you she wasn't that far over where she needs to be so has opted for diet and exercise changes.

Covkid1968#

My mum was offered statins by her doctor, but was advised against them by the nurse. Apparently they can cause some bad side effects and she decided it wasn't worth it. Like you she wasn't that far over where she needs to be so has opted for diet and exercise changes.
Yes they sort of told me that without saying it. If I can avoid meds then it sort of made sense.

They also said I need to cut down on stress and gave me a list of things I could do. One was stop reading SBT and shouting at your phone when you read something stupid!

Grendel

Yes they sort of told me that without saying it. If I can avoid meds then it sort of made sense.

They also said I need to cut down on stress and gave me a list of things I could do. One was stop reading SBT and shouting at your phone when you read something stupid!

I do know a couple of doctors who despite not having high cholesterol as soon as they hit 50 started taking them. The doctor said look at the pluses and minuses but that was enough tbh

wingy

Don't they reduce all cholesterol, good and bad? Been trying for years to get me on them but always declined until about a year ago,familial history .

olderskyblue

The acceptable levels are lower these days too. Below 3 is ok.

My LDL was over 5, so was told to reduce it. Got to 4.8 and thought I was a hero, then they said it’s coming down, but needs to be below 3…..

wingy

Don't they reduce all cholesterol, good and bad? Been trying for years to get me on them but always declined until about a year ago,familial history .
Had a Tia about six months ago and been picked up on a scan as having emphasyma about 2yrs ago.

covcity4life

Another health one, I've been asthmatic all my life but when I did my recent round of checkups that got my blood pressure diagnosed they looked at the records and whatever else, got me to do a week of peak flow tests and have basically signed me off as not having asthma any more. I didn't even know you could get shot of it
I'm still wheezing like a mofo unfortunately

ovduk78

I read or heard on radio that a lot of medical profession think that statins should be subscribed to everyone over the age of 50 to help reduce chances of heart attacks, strokes etc.
I have been taking 80mg a day for 4 years since I had a minor heart attack & haven't really had any side effects from taking them, aspirin & ramipril give me all if those I can do without!

Mcbean

On a lighter note made me smile and smiling and laughing is good for the soul

Attachments

• IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 14

Otis

I read or heard on radio that a lot of medical profession think that statins should be subscribed to everyone over the age of 50 to help reduce chances of heart attacks, strokes etc.
I have been taking 80mg a day for 4 years since I had a minor heart attack & haven't really had any side effects from taking them, aspirin & ramipril give me all if those I can do without!
I am on 40mg a day. No real side effects for me either .

Sbarcher

My LDL was 4.3 when measured last month. Doc said that was a bit high , but wasn't too bothered as it was 4.3 5 years ago so was not increasing.
When the surgery contacted me , there was a different o/a health measurement scale. I was 20.1%, and the safe level was 10%. I asked what additional risk the 20.1 was - medium, high, dangerous etc. They couldn't/wouldn't tell me!

Since found this which is the NHS basis for prescibing statins after my NHS health check.
Your NHS Health Check results and action plan

Maybe I should be hoping for a calming mid-table position for City this season.

Users who are viewing this thread