'I judge children by their names' (1 Viewer)

mechaishida

Anyone called Ikea hasn't got a chance in life. No matter how much they work out they'll never have a six pack and will just be left with a flat pack.

Anyone called anything on that list is pretty much fucked.

''Oh your name's...Ikea Pepsi...I'm not laughing at you, it's more at your parents..."

Nick

Administrator
Ironic really it was a thread being angry about her judging kids by the names but it's turned into laughing at kids names :)

mechaishida

Ironic really it was a thread being angry about her judging kids by the names but it's turned into laughing at kids names :)

Since it's American kids' names, it's permissive. I think. Plus our cousins over the pond have no sense of Irony, so this looks all complimentary to their choice for names. :D

ajsccfc

Paula Yates didn't give us too much of a leg to stand on with Little Pixie, Peaches Honeyblossom and Heavenly Tigerlily.

Both countries get the blame for Apple Martin.

Otis

I should look a little closer to home really shouldn't I.

My friend's niece has a son called Lincoln. She's now pregnant again and her next child she is going to call Zelda.

mechaishida

The Sweet's lead-singer Brian Connolly was nicknamed 'snowball' when he was growing up in Glasgow, he got beaten up a lot!

See, even a nickname can get you a shoeing in Glasgow. Imagine some div going into his local, saying he's named his boy Ferrari Panda the first...he'd barely get out with the ability to blink in unison.

dutchman

Katie Hopkins sparks Twitter frenzy with attack on Madeleine McCann's parents

katiehopkins.jpg

The outspoken columnist said it was “time to speak out” after Kate and Gerry McCann fronted a campaign to raise awareness of the Child Rescue Alerts scheme, which sends out text messages and emails if a child goes missing.

Ms Hopkins, a mother of three, wrote in her Daily Mail column that the couple were “too self-assured to hire a babysitter and too self-centred to care” before the three-year-old disappeared in Portugal in 2007.

She also said Kate and Gerry McCann "didn't deserve £11million of our cash to look for Maddie."

“If you really must blame someone, then Kate and Gerry are right there in front of you,” she wrote.
“Show me a family from a council estate who left their child alone to go out eating and drinking who have been lauded with such support and the protection of the state.”

She added: “The McCanns put their own children in harm’s way. Those kids were in danger. Because of their parents ...
"Now the faces I associate with neglect are being used to promote the Child Rescue Alert campaign ...

"Maddie wasn’t lost because someone took her. She was lost because she was left to be found."

The article has provoked a massive reaction online and sharply divided opinion among readers. Many backed Ms Hopkins on social media while others criticised her for “victim blaming” the McCanns and “rubbing salt” into their wounds.

Otis

Errm... won't they be doing this for the very reason they know they made a very big mistake and want to prevent this sort of thing from ever happening again and to try and have something good come out from this terrible tragedy?

And why dredge all this up again now? Didn't we do all this in 2007 when it all happened? Everyone knows the McCann's made a terrible error. We've been there and got the t shirt.

Hopkins is just a shit stirring, trouble making, publicity seeking, uncaring loud mouth.

She's a professional troll and she and the Daily Mail are a match made in heaven.

Grendel

Errm... won't they be doing this for the very reason they know they made a very big mistake and want to prevent this sort of thing from ever happening again and to try and have something good come out from this terrible tragedy?

And why dredge all this up again now? Didn't we do all this in 2007 when it all happened? Everyone knows the McCann's made a terrible error. We've been there and got the t shirt.

Hopkins is just a shit stirring, trouble making, publicity seeking, uncaring loud mouth.

She's a professional troll and she and the Daily Mail are a match made in heaven.

I agree to an extent.

However, I have to say if the McCanns were from a benefit scrounging housing estate I think they'd have been vilified and blamed.

The middle class, dare I say it Daily Mail type of readership background of the McCanns definitely helped their cause.

Nick

Administrator
Didn't a bloke get prosecuted fort leaving his kid in the car while he went in a shop?

oakey

I agree to an extent.

However, I have to say if the McCanns were from a benefit scrounging housing estate I think they'd have been vilified and blamed.

The middle class, dare I say it Daily Mail type of readership background of the McCanns definitely helped their cause.
I agree to an extent but I've only heard the inverse argument. A lot of resentment against them was fuelled by the perception that because they were middle class they were getting in the papers and that working class types would have had little sympathy. So I think it depends on your prejudices.
FWIW I think Mrs McCann, in particular, was harshly vilified. Some vicious misogyny there, from women as well as from men. They made a dreadful error of judgement and have paid an appalling price.
There but by the grace of God, go I.

Astute

I agree to an extent.

Fuck me I agree with Grendel :)

If they would have done the same in this country I would hope that they would be prosecuted. Child neglect at least. But because it happened in another country they are seen as victims. The only one I feel sorry for is the poor little girl. When you have children you look after them the best you can. You don't abandon them so you can have a good time. If they were dole dossers they would have ended up in prison.

chiefdave

Didn't a bloke get prosecuted fort leaving his kid in the car while he went in a shop?

There was a chap from somewhere in the Midlands that got done for leaving one of his kids for 5 mins to go into the chemist. Was classed as child neglect and he nearly got his kids taken off him.

The law doesn’t say an age when you can leave a child on their own, but it’s an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk.

Use your judgement on how mature your child is before you decide to leave them alone, eg at home or in a car.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC)says:
children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time
children under 16 shouldn’t be left alone overnight
babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone

chiefdave

They made a dreadful error of judgement and have paid an appalling price.

I can't comprehend what went through their minds to think what they were doing was OK. I don't even like leaving my dog alone in the house, I start worrying I'll be burgled or the house will catch fire or something. How on earth someone can think I'll just leave my kid alone in a foreign country is beyond me.

Otis

If they would have done the same in this country I would hope that they would be prosecuted. Child neglect at least. But because it happened in another country they are seen as victims. The only one I feel sorry for is the poor little girl. When you have children you look after them the best you can. You don't abandon them so you can have a good time. If they were dole dossers they would have ended up in prison.
Think people are missing the point here. The fact is we did all this in 2007 and loads of people criticised them for leaving the children alone in that apartment and I was very much one of them.

But we've been there, got the T-shirt. They were rightly vilified. Do we have to criticise them for eternity on the matter though? They know they did wrong and I'm sure they have to live with that every day of their lives and will continue to do so until the day they die.

Why drag it all back up again now? We all know they did wrong and it was a very stupid thing to do.

This was 2007. It is now 2016! If they are trying to do something good now to help others, I say fair play to them.

Last edited:

Ian1779

I concur - they should have been charged with neglect at the very least.

If the parents were unemployed or a low income family the rest of their children would have been placed into care.

skybluetony176

Almost a year to the day Maddy McCann went missing I was on holiday with the wife and my recently reached 1 year old first born daughter in Spain. The reason I know it was almost a year to the day is because my daughter was born on the Sunday before Maddy went missing (that was the Wednesday IIRC) anyway one night at the hotel we were just settling down when I could here a panicked noise from outside our room so I went out to investigate to find that a 3 year old girl who was staying with her parents a couple of rooms down was missing. Eventually half the hotel was up looking for her and not long after the police arrived. Luckily the girl was found safe and well, she had found her way down to where the holiday club was and was quietly playing in a corner by herself. It turned out that the parents had locked her in their room and pissed of to the bar to get drunk. After she was found they then started to blame the hotel staff because you could still open a door from the inside after locking it from the outside. Now this might come as a surprise to some but I can be an argumentative so and so at times so I couldn't help but wade in. I said to the parents "two words for you, Maddy McCann" to which the "father" said "it's OK we locked the door, it's the hotels fault you shouldn't be able to open it from the inside" so I said to him "what if there's a fire? How's your unattended three year old going to get out" he gave me a blank look, I called him an idiot and went back to bed.

They dodged us the rest of the holiday.

Moff

There was a chap from somewhere in the Midlands that got done for leaving one of his kids for 5 mins to go into the chemist. Was classed as child neglect and he nearly got his kids taken off him.

Pity our Prime Minister didnt face the same, when the clueless nob left his daughter at the pub...sorry gastro bar.

oakey

Only if you leave young children alone. And if you do you deserve everything you get.

Hundreds of people leave children in a locked caravan, a chalet etc whilst they have a drink or meal nearby on holiday. I've witnessed it at holiday parks in the UK. That's what they did. It may be foolish but they are not alone in this foolishness.
Many people sit at the end of their garden whilst their children are in bed in the summer. We once did it not realising the front door wasn't locked. We have all made silly errors unless we actually don't let children out of our sight.

They are victims not villains. The idea that they deserve to have their child abducted is disgusting IMO

Nick

Administrator
I can't understand what would go through their minds to do it, if it was a single mum leaving their kids in to go clubbing the kids would be gone without question.

I feel sorry for the poor girl and the other kids, if I remember leaving the kids was a common thing.

I think it's been brought up because something has been in the media about it recently.

I still think there's more to it.

Astute

They are victims not villains. The idea that they deserve to have their child abducted is disgusting IMO

I'll tell you what is disgusting. Someone making a comment like this. You know that I never meant that. But just because I have a different idea of what is right from wrong on how to bring up children you make a comment like this.

I have 7 children. Eldest 30 youngest 6. I have never left any of mine unattended. I have never left any locked in a room so I can go drinking. Sitting in your own garden when your kids are in bed is not the same as what happened here.

We love the camping/caravan/motorhome holidays. We do it 12 months of the year. We go all over the country meeting up with friends. But if we can't take the kids to where we go we don't go. All of our friends are the same. We party in an awning with the kids inside the unit or someone stays with the kids.

It doesn't make it right that others do it. A child is for life not just when you fancy it. If you are not willing to dedicate yourself to bringing your children up you shouldn't have them.

Sick Boy

At the end of the day had they been working class they would have been demonised by the press.

Also, her refusal to answer certain questions is interesting and a little concerning.

Sick Boy

Imagine the headlines had working class parents locked their children in a hotel room to go and get drunk!!

Dreadful and irresponsible parenting and they must accept their large proportion of the blame in this.

Users who are viewing this thread