If we go down will Mowbray go down as one of our worst ever managers? (4 Viewers)

Otis

Whatever is going on behind the scenes is shite we all know that...BUT Mowbray brought in various players got lucky with Armstrong, Murphy and to some extent Kent...then it went downhill all the rest of his signings were very very very bad
Very, very bad is an understatement.

Brilliant that he got us to the top 6. Top 3 for quite a while and even top. The fall of grace though was shocking.

We were 11 points clear of 7 place. How on earth did we throw that away? Don't see how we can blame Sisu for that.

Mowbray's January transfer dealing was very, very poor. Joe Cole was a big, big mistake. We spent so long trying to include him in the team and it was to the detriment of the side.

It was a shocking slide down the table.

Sisu then didn't make Mowbray go and try to bring in Championship level players that were unattainable. That was purely down to him and Venus.

Slade had no problem bringing in a big centre back and and a striker with just a couple of weeks of being here. Mowbray had all summer and completely failed to bring in the players we needed.

Slade did it, Mowbray didn't. How is that Sisu's fault?

Mowbray took us down to the bottom of the table.

If we are now relegated he has to shoulder a large proportion of the blame.

As I said earlier, the worst manager tag would be based on him taking us down to the lowest league level for over 60 years.

I am talking statistically. From top of League One and then 11 points clear of 7th place to bottom of the table with a squad ill equipped to compete.

Esoterica

Can't blame the manager people were creaming themselves when he was appointed saying things like see give sisu credit for getting him in.
Funny how they were also the first ones to turn on him, Slade will be no different he will be the next scapegoat.
What a load of generic bullshit you've trotted out there because a few people are attributing blame away from where your agenda lies. Who at SISU do you blame for us playing long ball to strikers less than 5ft 10 during the last two games?

Slade has got his tactics horribly wrong in the last couple of games and 'people' can see that. Although on paper his signings so far look like what we were missing (a couple of big CBs, some experience, some hardworking legs up front) if he then plays tactics, formations and square pegs in round holes i.e. not maximising the potential of his squad, however poor, then fingers are being pointed. If he's getting the best out of his poor squad then no-one will be making a 'scapegoat' of him.

covcity4life

ahahah yes mowbray will be remembered for wasting a huge sisu budget and overseeing team get relegated even though venus and slade managed more matches this season ahahah

slade of course will be remmebered as the best manager ever to win 0 league games no doubt. make a new thread for that one otis you twat

skyblue1991

ahahah yes mowbray will be remembered for wasting a huge sisu budget and overseeing team get relegated even though venus and slade managed more matches this season ahahah

slade of course will be remmebered as the best manager ever to win 0 league games no doubt. make a new thread for that one otis you twat
just read all the replies. haha whata monumental failure this thread has been otis. egg on face.

This thread wasn't a failure until you decided to post on it.

You my friend are a thundercunt.

Otis

just read all the replies. haha whata monumental failure this thread has been otis. egg on face.
Not at all.

We go down he will always be remembered as the manager that took us from first place, totally blew a fantastic opportunity to go up and left us a poor side that immediately then went on to go down the next season.

From 1st to relegated, that's how he will be remembered, unless we get out of this mess this season somehow.

Joy Division

Tony Mowbray, for every Ryan Kent, Adam Armstrong and Jacob Murphy there was a Marc Antoine Fortune, Stephen Hunt, Darius Henderson, Peter Ramage, Martin Lorentzon to balance it out. Not sure if he's the worst manager but certainly somebody who wasn't up for the job.

Covstu

Not at all.

We go down he will always be remembered as the manager that took us from first place, totally blew a fantastic opportunity to go up and left us a poor side that immediately then went on to go down the next season.

From 1st to relegated, that's how he will be remembered, unless we get out of this mess this season somehow.
I don't think this will be the case, generally the manager in charge of the time of relegation will be the one remembered.... That's Slade.

At the end of the day we do not know what goes on behind the scenes, who is recruiting and why, budgets etc etc. I agree TM couldn't motivate his players but neither could Slade or Venus equally but they are blameless in your eyes? The TM era was the first time in years and years it actually felt good to be a city fan, shame it was short lived.

JulianDarbyFTW

I still blame Pressley. His pathetic brand of football killed the enthusiasm I had, and TM managed to bring it back. For that reason alone, I won't blame him for this season.

phildownunder

It s almost impossible to nominate the worst ever manager imo. You have to take into account the circumstances in which they worked and for me, given the money he had at his disposal (and that's the correct term in his case) the name that should be on any shortlist for this "award" would have to be Ron Atkinson.

covcity4life

Not at all.

so basically you started a thread. everyone disagreed and your final thoughts are that you are still right

lol

Otis

so basically you started a thread. everyone disagreed and your final thoughts are that you are still right

lol
Err.... yes.

Unless you want me to disagree with myself.

I asked if people believe he will go down as one of the worst managers because of the decline.

To my mind he will be.

You want me to change my own mind?

ccfc92

Err.... yes.

I asked if people believe he will go down as one of the worst managers because of the decline.

To my mind he will be.

It's a two part question though.

Is he the worst manager ever because of his performance or is it due to the state of the club?

When he joined, I was underwhelmed because he hadn't achieved anything, apart from at west brom IMO. Then I allowed myself to dream in the first half of last season

I was dissapointed with the collapse, but come on. Surely no one was surprised? it's us, Coventry City

covcity4life

Err.... yes.

To my mind he will be.

just wind your neck in before i put you on ignore. you been posting shit in 2017

blueflint

only people to blame for our plight is the owners they failed to back mowbray in the transfer window
sold players we needed none of which was mowbrays decision SISU OUT

Otis

just wind your neck in before i put you on ignore. you been posting shit in 2017
Lol. Mr King of Shit and trolling. Ha ha!!

Pot, kettle, lol.

By your logic if I was to say 'The best player I have ever seen play for us was Steve Hunt' you would say, 'No, no he is not the best player you have ever seen play.'

Righto.

It wasn't a right or wrong question.

Otis

only people to blame for our plight is the owners they failed to back mowbray in the transfer window
What about Wilson he was chasing, the Championship player?

Mowbray was trying to attain the unattainable.

Joy Division

Sold Maddison in the transfer window last season but got him back on loan, so didn't lose him

Otis

Sold Maddison in the transfer window last season but got him back on loan, so didn't lose him
Yep, exactly.

His own January strengthening strategy was poor too.

One of worst slumps for many years.

Like many others I still find it incredible that we did not at least make the playoffs.

Otis

i find it incredible you say someone who left in october is overseeing relegation in may o_O
I am talking about his failure to build a decent squad in the summer.

This squad has clearly not been good enough, as just 4 wins clearly shows.

Yes it is Slade now, but look what he he inherited.

We have been lacking all over the park. Mowbray and Venus failed miserably to assemble a squad that was able to compete. :(

covcity4life

I think he would have sorted it out, personally. Or at least I hope. He did become very stubborn, but I'm sure he also has the ability to hold his hands up.

yup i agree. we would not be bottom 4 i am sure of it.

otis-you said oversee. choose your words wisely next time

ccfc92

I am talking about his failure to build a decent squad in the summer.

This squad has clearly not been good enough, as just 4 wins clearly shows.

Yes it is Slade now, but look what he he inherited.

We have been lacking all over the park. Mowbray and Venus failed miserably to assemble a squad that was able to compete. :(

But we weren't getting hammered under mowbray. What was it before Slade took over? 3 or 4 losses by 3 or more goals? Especially away. I'd need to look at the results list, as I normally block out ccfc now with 20+ cans of lager on a matchday :(

covcity4life

But we weren't getting hammered under mowbray. What was it before Slade took over? 3 or 4 losses by 3 or more goals? Especially away. I'd need to look at the results list, as I normally block out ccfc now with 20+ cans of lager on a matchday :(

yeah mowbrays games were all close. venus did ok for 2 or 3 games then completley lost it. now slade is doing his best to make us suffer as well as lose.

but mowbrays the problem, never forget that!

Joy Division

The biggest problem was not replacing Mowbray as soon as he left and sticking with the manager who wasn't a manager. Mowbray's performance record in 2016 didn't show any signs of being able to turn it around.

chiefdave

Whatever your opinion on the budget I doubt there's many who thing we are in the bottom 3 or 4 for budget so you have to say with what he had to work with he massively underperformed. We had weeks of just waiting for deals to be finalised followed by what seemed to be a made rush to get anyone we could in.

Increasingly looked like Armstrong, Kent and Murphy was more luck than anything else.

ccfc92

yeah mowbrays games were all close. venus did ok for 2 or 3 games then completley lost it. now slade is doing his best to make us suffer as well as lose.

but mowbrays the problem, never forget that!

I'm sure you'll agree, that mowbray didn't do as well as he should have. But I believe we only lost 4 games out of his 10? Would have been different if we'd lost all 10.

The players signed at the time were applauded by some on here, despite some people's concerns.

We will never know for sure, but there was still 36 games after mowbray with an okay squad, shouldn't be where we are now, imo.

Otis

As for the Slade/Mowbray blame thing, who is more at fault, the guy who took over with us in the bottom four, or the guy that took us there?

Yep, by all means blame Sisu for this, that and the other, but that squad out there this season is not League One standard.

Didn't agree with Venus on many things, but he was right in this one. This squad is not good enough for League One.

Slade addressed the back line and also brought Beavon in, but it's all kind of feeling a bit to late to save us.

covcity4life

I'm sure you'll agree, that mowbray didn't do as well as he should have. But I believe we only lost 4 games out of his 10? Would have been different if we'd lost all 10.

The players signed at the time were applauded by some on here, despite some people's concerns.

We will never know for sure, but there was still 36 games after mowbray with an okay squad, shouldn't be where we are now, imo.

oh yeah i agree this season it wasnt good enough. but i also never doubted he would sort it out personally.

Users who are viewing this thread