Ireland Women (1 Viewer)

rondog1973

IMO, there's a strong difference between the original IRA fighting for independence and the Provos, Real IRA etc that came later - this distinction is quite clear in Ireland too.
The song being sung is not that uncommon in Ireland though.
Could not Loyalists mount the same defence? Songs about the UVF defended as it's a reference to Edward Carson's private militia?

Ireland needs to move on from this nonsense. We're not yet a generation away from folk mourning the loss of loved ones lost in the troubles and songs referencing beligerents in that conflict will only ever serve to antagonise. Doesn't matter whether it's Official, Provisional, Real, Continuity or bleedin' Happy Shopper IRA, it will always be interpreted as support for a terrorist campaign by a great many.

hill83

Got Irish family but not involved in the history at all.

Anyway, this exact song is being played in the 4p’s right now.

Also watched the game here earlier. How should I feel please? Thanks

olderskyblue

Never mind stand down. Get on a mic and tell the feckers to clam up or you’ll sort the lot of them out….

skybluetony176

All I want to know is am I still allowed to sing The Sash or are we only cancelling songs that insult the English with their own history?

skybluetony176

The thing about Rebel songs is it’s about history, not just Irish history but British history. Not the rose tinted history, the history that certain quarters want to cancel institutions like the national trust from telling us under some snowflake agenda of don’t upset me with the truth only tell me the good stuff. We did the shit in the songs that promoted hate towards the British and more specifically the English, it’s an indisputable fact. You can either get all snowflake and get upset about it or you can reflect upon ALL the lyrics, learn from them and understand the importance of the WHOLE song. If history isn’t an educational tool to stop “you” repeating mistakes then I really don’t know what the point of it is.

Fact is the Irish (and I include everyone on the island of Ireland in this regardless of religion or how they identify) are a hopelessly romantic poetic group of people, the Protestants have their songs, the catholics have theirs and they’re all steeped in history and it’s also our history. They’re all natural performers too, asking them to stop is like trying to take away their dna. The funny thing is the English are so sensitive they think they’re singing songs like this to hurt someone’s feelings, they’re not, it’s a celebration of culture, social commentary. Anyone who’s ever been to Ireland can tell you that the Irish don’t hold a grudge, you’ll be warmly welcomed pretty much everywhere you go. So put your big boy pants on, we done it, no one is pointing fingers at you personally but they are going to sing about it just like they always have.

olderskyblue

Devils advocate

if we had had a bunch of songs celebrating the British army killing lots of IRA bombers, and celebrating the deaths of Bobby Sands et al, would that cause outrage in Ireland, or not?

to add, I don’t give a f*** what the womens football team sing, but natural performers they are not….

Sick Boy

Devils advocate

if we had had a bunch of songs celebrating the British army killing lots of IRA bombers, and celebrating the deaths of Bobby Sands et al, would that cause outrage in Ireland, or not?

to add, I don’t give a f*** what the womens football team sing, but natural performers they are not….
Those songs do exist….

Most ill feeling (if any) in Ireland understandably comes from what happened prior to the IRA being formed….which most people in GB are massively ignorant about….

Last edited:

rob9872

Bobby Sands lived locally for while. His telephone number was Nuneaton 80 80 80

(none eaten ate nothing, ate nothing, ate nothing)

Brighton Sky Blue

The thing about Rebel songs is it’s about history, not just Irish history but British history. Not the rose tinted history, the history that certain quarters want to cancel institutions like the national trust from telling us under some snowflake agenda of don’t upset me with the truth only tell me the good stuff. We did the shit in the songs that promoted hate towards the British and more specifically the English, it’s an indisputable fact. You can either get all snowflake and get upset about it or you can reflect upon ALL the lyrics, learn from them and understand the importance of the WHOLE song. If history isn’t an educational tool to stop “you” repeating mistakes then I really don’t know what the point of it is.

Fact is the Irish (and I include everyone on the island of Ireland in this regardless of religion or how they identify) are a hopelessly romantic poetic group of people, the Protestants have their songs, the catholics have theirs and they’re all steeped in history and it’s also our history. They’re all natural performers too, asking them to stop is like trying to take away their dna. The funny thing is the English are so sensitive they think they’re singing songs like this to hurt someone’s feelings, they’re not, it’s a celebration of culture, social commentary. Anyone who’s ever been to Ireland can tell you that the Irish don’t hold a grudge, you’ll be warmly welcomed pretty much everywhere you go. So put your big boy pants on, we done it, no one is pointing fingers at you personally but they are going to sing about it just like they always have.

I'm not a British nationalist by any stretch Tony, far from it. I have an issue with one lyric, not the entire bank of rebel music.

Sick Boy

I'm not a British nationalist by any stretch Tony, far from it. I have an issue with one lyric, not the entire bank of rebel music.
We have posters on this forum who are opposed to the peace process, which is a pretty extreme view, which still exists on both sides of the divide.

Brighton Sky Blue

We have posters on this forum who are opposed to the peace process, which is a pretty extreme view.

They call it the surrender agreement, I disagree. There's plenty of rebel songs I've no problem with, just 'Up the RA' when there's plenty of victims of them both sides of the Irish Sea is one I'm uncomfortable with.

rob9872

We have posters on this forum who are opposed to the peace process, which is a pretty extreme view, which still exists on both sides of the divide.
Do we? Is anyone genuinely opposed to peace? For what purpose? In the current climate, wars are so pointless even if only economically! I'd give up all territories Falklands etc and defend our shores only with a reduced budget. Not sure on Gibraltar I don't know enough about it, tbh and the residents appear to want to remain

Sick Boy

Do we? Is anyone genuinely opposed to peace? For what purpose? In the current climate, wars are so pointless even if only economically! I'd give up all territories Falklands etc and defend our shores only with a reduced budget. Not sure on Gibraltar I don't know enough about it, tbh and the residents appear to want to remain
I’m not going to name anyone but they are on here and it was labelled the “Surrender Agreement”. It’s probably saved hundreds if not thousands of innocent lives and is considered extreme to both sides to oppose it.

Il Pirata

So do the Falklands, overwhelmingly.

rob9872

So do the Falklands, overwhelmingly.
They do, but so far away and it should never be ours. It's simply a base to get to other parts that don't concern us faster and to keep looking for oil. It has to go back at some point although once the oil all finally explored, hopefully they can be their own and Argentina less bothered about them too.

Sick Boy

For a united Ireland to happen Protestants’ traditions and beliefs have to be respected and be recognised as part of Ireland and even protected.
I think it’ll happen eventually - probably within the next 20 years.
I also think GB would be glad to get rid.

SBT

I'm not sure what point you're making. I'm certainly not antiBritish, just saving costs to spend at home on things I thought you'd be in favour if like NHS education etc.

Tbh I thought what those Irish girls did was harmless, but here we are days later and British teachers on here are vowing never to sing our own national anthem and Tory Rob is calling for the UK to immediately surrender its foreign territories, you almost have to admire the power of Irish radicalism here.

rob9872

For a united Ireland to happen Protestants’ traditions and beliefs have to be respected and be recognised as part of Ireland and even protected.
I think it’ll happen eventually - probably within the next 20 years.
I also think GB would be glad to get rid.
The flag would have to change. But I've never understood why incorporates the st Patrick's Cross and nothing from Wales.

Grendel

I’m not going to name anyone but they are on here and it was labelled the “Surrender Agreement”. It’s probably saved hundreds if not thousands of innocent lives and is considered extreme to both sides to oppose it.

And of course let mass murderers of innocent men, women and children walk free

Brighton Sky Blue

Tbh I thought what those Irish girls did was harmless, but here we are days later and British teachers on here are vowing never to sing our own national anthem and Tory Rob is calling for the UK to immediately surrender its foreign territories, you almost have to admire the power of Irish radicalism here.

I don't believe in God and also oppose the monarchy so why would I sing God Save The King?

Users who are viewing this thread