IS IT APRIL THE FIRST? (1 Viewer)

Monners

This response kind of proves my point.

Now FWIW I find McClean's reasoning slightly uncomfortable myself. However, if it wasn't institutionalised so that it was expected he wore a poppy, then he wouldn't have to step back and have to give his own viewpoint.

This particular argument is, to me, in microcosm what seems to be a recent disturbing trend where there is a compulsion to wear a poppy. This, incidentally, is a tendency towards fascism, to take away the individual right to choose what to do. As this happens, it actually makes me less disposed to wear a poppy. My own view can respect the people involved, regret the savage loss of life... despair at how World War One was the last vestiges of imperialism, and the desire to impose ideologies on the world, where the individuals, the true heroes, were caught up in a needless, stupid argument between power-crazed states.

So... I could always go with a poppy when it appeared to be an individual choice and an understated mark of respect... to the soldiers that died. Once it gets hijacked by insititutions however, it starts echoing that which it should be trying to warn against. As such, *I* won't be wearing a poppy. That in no way makes me want to stop others wearing a poppy, because I can see enough behind it to see why an individual might want to support the cause. I might even give some cash to an appropriate charity myself. I, personally, am always uncomfortable in showing for the sake of showing however. That's just me, and others will differ.

The individual mark of respect is how it has been, as far as I'm concerned. But... with such institutionalised compulsions as per the FA 'debate', then I would have to go against the grain to do that were I an English International footballer, and I would have to open my views (that otherwise can remain private) to a public trial... or wear it for an easy life. The latter is insincere however, and such gestures such always be made with personal sincerity in my view.

So, this whole situation takes away from the meaning of armistice day, for me. It should be quiet respect - a minute's silence could have sufficed, to remember the dead, and enough could have been done around the game without making this an unseemly drama that takes the focus away from what it should be.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I wore a white poppy a few years back.......you wouldn't believe some of the garbage random people spout at ya.....ignorance, disdain, aggression....

...to be fair, I also had a fair few positive comments on it too....

Quick question to anyone still outraged by this little drama......would you pin your poppy on to your sunday league kit & play in it.....or would you leave it pinned to your jacket until after the game?

Joy Division

14639742_615918368587776_7429525225323008794_n.jpg

Sick Boy

If it were remembering ALL of those who lost their lives in WW1 and WW2, including soldiers on all sides and civilians, I would happily wear one.

Does the poppy also signify those who were tortured, starved and gassed to death by the British army during the years of the Empire?

ccfctommy

Also if the Star of David and the Moon & Crescent aren't Religious symbol, what is? I don't have any problem with with Israel, Turkey and others having one of the above on their shirts but that's another example of double standards.

Tbf those symbols appaear on those nations flags.

rondog1973

This response kind of proves my point.

Now FWIW I find McClean's reasoning slightly uncomfortable myself. However, if it wasn't institutionalised so that it was expected he wore a poppy, then he wouldn't have to step back and have to give his own viewpoint.

This particular argument is, to me, in microcosm what seems to be a recent disturbing trend where there is a compulsion to wear a poppy. This, incidentally, is a tendency towards fascism, to take away the individual right to choose what to do. As this happens, it actually makes me less disposed to wear a poppy. My own view can respect the people involved, regret the savage loss of life... despair at how World War One was the last vestiges of imperialism, and the desire to impose ideologies on the world, where the individuals, the true heroes, were caught up in a needless, stupid argument between power-crazed states.

So... I could always go with a poppy when it appeared to be an individual choice and an understated mark of respect... to the soldiers that died. Once it gets hijacked by insititutions however, it starts echoing that which it should be trying to warn against. As such, *I* won't be wearing a poppy. That in no way makes me want to stop others wearing a poppy, because I can see enough behind it to see why an individual might want to support the cause. I might even give some cash to an appropriate charity myself. I, personally, am always uncomfortable in showing for the sake of showing however. That's just me, and others will differ.

The individual mark of respect is how it has been, as far as I'm concerned. But... with such institutionalised compulsions as per the FA 'debate', then I would have to go against the grain to do that were I an English International footballer, and I would have to open my views (that otherwise can remain private) to a public trial... or wear it for an easy life. The latter is insincere however, and such gestures such always be made with personal sincerity in my view.

So, this whole situation takes away from the meaning of armistice day, for me. It should be quiet respect - a minute's silence could have sufficed, to remember the dead, and enough could have been done around the game without making this an unseemly drama that takes the focus away from what it should be.
At the rate this is going, the poppy could soon become another misappropriated symbol of the far right.

Covstu

For me I am glad that both FA's are going ahead with it regardless of the consequences. I am fedup of this agreement every year however, its a similar debate to those black players who 'took a knee' for the national anthem in the states. They had their reasons but clearly got crucified. I thought wars were fought for freedom?

chiefdave

Strange that Ireland were allowed to wear a shirt to remember a political event not so long ago but the Poppy isn't allowed. It's an absolute disgrace.
Did they have permission for that as FIFA have now started disciplinary proceedings against Ireland.

CJ_covblaze

Did they have permission for that as FIFA have now started disciplinary proceedings against Ireland.

No they didn't. Says a lot that FIFA had no idea it had happened for 7 months!

chiefdave

BBC are getting shit now, probably from Daily Mail readers, for putting a poppy on the Cookie Monster. The RBL said they weren't fussed about it but apparently that's not good enough.

jimmyhillsfanclub

BBC are getting shit now, probably from Daily Mail readers, for putting a poppy on the Cookie Monster. The RBL said they weren't fussed about it but apparently that's not good enough.

To be fair, whichever way you look at it, it was a fucking dumb thing for the BBC to do....

Users who are viewing this thread