Jch (1 Viewer)

Skyblue54

Rangers..west Brom.. sheff utd in for jch...5 million being bandied about

It’sabatch87

Has he played above league one level,Could he do what Ivan Toney has done and make the step up look easy? I’m not so sure.
Fair play though if he gets a big move,Probably easier to score in Scotland if Rangers were interested.

Irish Sky Blue

There is no arguing with what he has done at Bristol Rovers and at Peterborough. When he was here, even at League 2 level, he never showed anything like that form. I saw him 4 times for Rovers last season and I have to say I was mostly unimpressed with the way he played.

Sky Blue Harry H

Has he played above league one level,Could he do what Ivan Toney has done and make the step up look easy? I’m not so sure.
Fair play though if he gets a big move,Probably easier to score in Scotland if Rangers were interested.

This - not in the same class as Toney - but good luck to him.

Grendel

Let's be fair which of us could have forecast JCH having this success when he left us?
I don't remember many people complaining at the time
Good luck to the lad, he seems to have sorted himself out and has done well

I always said he was a cut above the other forwards we had. Robins just can’t play to the strengths of players they have to fit his way or else. He hasn’t sorted himself out it’s a failure of man management

stevefloyd

As I have said before, Jch had chances created for him and struggled to hit the target...he was lacklustre for us but somehow after leaving all of a sudden he started to score aplenty so I just think he had a massive kick up the ass after leaving or he really couldnt be arsed here

junglej13

This - not in the same class as Toney - but good luck to him.
Easy to forget Toney had a number of underwhelming seasons in League 1 before he joined Peterborough. Probably realised his potential a couple of years sooner tham JCH but certainly wouldn't rule out JCH doing well at a Championship side.

Kilclines curly mullet

Bored with this. He came in during our promotion session from league 2. Gave McNulty and Biamou a kick up the arse and they started scoring. Didn’t set the world alight during our first season in league 1 and was let go. 18 months later we were league 1 champions - didn’t hear anyone mention JCH then .?
just because we have struggled in the championship doesn’t mean we need to continually talk about old players. JCH has done well since he left and credit to him.
I bet the Sheffield United fans were saying the same when they let McNulty go on a free and he ended up scoring 28 goals for us....look what’s happened since.
fair play to the guy but let’s look forward not backwards.

that said, I’ll never forget the dive and penalty against Mansfield....that turned the season and without that in my opinion we wouldn’t have gone up.

Evo1883

peterborough and Bristol rovers play completely different styles of football , and jch has scored a wide variety of goals ...I don't think there is a particular strength that they've played too for him to do well ..
Is it hard to imagine that he simply just got his head down worked harder and just got better after failing a few times previously ?

He is better than bimaou and bakayoko though who we kept ...and that was and will always be a mistake we made , but hindsight is a wonderful thing

49 league goals in 79 league games since leaving us ..

At the same time though , I don't think he'd be able to emulate what Ivan toney has done in the championship

Last edited:

stupot07

Intrigued by the idea JCHs failure to score in his second spell here was all down to Robins. His record prior to turning up here was hardly setting the world on fire.

Given the manner of his departure in his first spell here surely you have to at least consider there may have been an attitude problem?
100%. He seems to have kicked on since leaving us, good luck to him. He's scored 7 pens in the league this season , but from open play he is still averaging a goal every 176 minutes this season which is pretty decent.

Wyke hasn't taken any for Sunderland he had 22 at 123 mins per goal from open play, and Charles from Accrington also averages 176 mpg from open play.
e1d5cf6e777fff81f36834f9803998ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

higgs

Let's be fair which of us could have forecast JCH having this success when he left us?
I don't remember many people complaining at the time
Good luck to the lad, he seems to have sorted himself out and has done well
Pity we didn't insert future sell on fees when we gave him away for free I was glad to see him go at the time didn't think he was a 5m player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2477

Lets see how he does in the championship.
as for his price tag of 5 mil Peterborough have a history of slapping rediculous prices on players and encouraging clubs into a bidding war. It doesnt always pay off for them and its one thing scoring in league 2 and league 1 but the championship is a massive step up against quality defenders as we have found out

jordan210

I always liked JCH. I wonder if he has sorted him self off the pitch and thats why his form has improved.

When he was with us. He liked to play gangster and was always posting on Insta.

Joy Division

Fair play to JCH he's done well these last two seasons but absolutely no chance a club will pay 5 million for him.

KenilworthSkyBlue

The attitude issue is a stigma that stuck with JCH from his youth. It's clear there was always a player in there it just needed the right manager to realise his potential. Personally I don't consider it as a factor behind why he failed to find success at the club. Most managers he's played under have suggested that he just needs managing correctly and frankly I don't think Robins is patient enough with players to cater to such needs, not for the long-term anyway.

I think his failure to find form was by large down to Robins' failure to play to his strengths. Bristol's assistant manager at the time even alluded to this a few months after JCH signed. JCH thrives in a system that regularly puts crosses in for him to get on the end of and that looks to regularly feed balls into him where possible as he makes runs in behind. If memory serves, we used him predominantly as a target man, which just isn't his game. In actual fact he's quite good with the ball at his feet and is able to run at defences with the ball at reasonable speed and use his athleticism, aggression and physicality to cause the backline problems. But Robins seemed to strangely ignore this and instead chose to utilise him as a Biamou 2.0, when quite obviously he was so much more than that.

In hindsight, it's no wonder he often looked so frustrated when playing for us.

Offhegoes

The attitude issue is a stigma that stuck with JCH from his youth. It's clear there was always a player in there it just needed the right manager to realise his potential. Personally I don't consider it as a factor behind why he failed to find success at the club. Most managers he's played under have suggested that he just needs managing correctly and frankly I don't think Robins is patient enough with players to cater to such needs, not for the long-term anyway.

I think his failure to find form was by large down to Robins' failure to play to his strengths. Bristol's assistant manager at the time even alluded to this a few months after JCH signed. JCH thrives in a system that regularly puts crosses in for him to get on the end of and that looks to regularly feed balls into him where possible as he makes runs in behind. If memory serves, we used him predominantly as a target man, which just isn't his game. In actual fact he's quite good with the ball at his feet and is able to run at defences with the ball at reasonable speed and use his athleticism, aggression and physicality to cause the backline problems. But Robins seemed to strangely ignore this and instead chose to utilise him as a Biamou 2.0, when quite obviously he was so much more than that.

In hindsight, it's no wonder he often looked so frustrated when playing for us.

But ultimately Robins was right, as we were Champions last season. Bristol were nowhere near, so perhaps had we built our system around him he might of scored goals but we wouldn't of been promoted.
Was never a fan myself. Was a big signing in League 2 (on loan) but Biamou & McNulty were the first choices in the end. He just looked uninterested most of the time, and had a poor goalscoring record. Good luck to him, but Robins was right to move hin on.

Cov kid 55

It’s not unheard of for players to be mediocre at one club, move on, and improve significantly at the new club(s). Even though there may have been a good player in there, for us, I thought his attitude was suspect, and the thing I mainly remember him for was falling over. Good luck to him, but it’s yet to be seen how he would do at a higher level, and I don’t think it was a mistake to let him go at the time.

Frostie

Robins has been quite open about this, said he just didn't suit the way we wanted to play & has said he's pleased that he's doing well elsewhere.

In the end it's worked out for the best for both parties.

KenilworthSkyBlue

But ultimately Robins was right, as we were Champions last season. Bristol were nowhere near, so perhaps had we built our system around him he might of scored goals but we wouldn't of been promoted.
Was never a fan myself. Was a big signing in League 2 (on loan) but Biamou & McNulty were the first choices in the end. He just looked uninterested most of the time, and had a poor goalscoring record. Good luck to him, but Robins was right to move hin on.

He wasn't right at all, the outcome just happened to work out for all parties involved. There's a difference.

Evo1883

9 goals in 57 career appearances (0.16 goals/game)

Biamou is at 0.14 goals/game [runs for cover]
I will cut JCH some slack though ...he was basically a kid still back then

18 - 23 years old at Rotherham

Last edited:

fatso

Hes still only 26, which means he didnt make an impact until he was 23/24 or until he matured physically and mentally.
Good luck to the lad, hes clearly made the most of what could well of been his last chance of the big time after leaving us!

SBT

I will cut JCH some slack though ...he was basically a kid still back then

18 - 23 years old at Rotherham

I totally forgot he was a semi-regular in the Championship for them (with Steve Evans and Neil Warnock as the managers!)

Alkhen

some players just dont work out at some clubs but are fine when they move on. we have definitely benefited from players such as McNulty finding form with us then not really pushing on at other clubs. it happens

KenilworthSkyBlue

How wasn’t he right? We won the league.

Robins job is to build the best team, if he’s got a good player that doesn’t fit his system getting rid is the right thing to do. Same with Chaplin.

He wasn't right to just move him on and not at least attempt at playing him to his strengths during his time here. That's nonsensical to call that a correct decision in my view. He shouldn't have brought him in, in the first place if he was just going to try and mould JCH into something he wasn't. As attempted with Chaplin and Bakayoko also.

Anyway, it's done now there's little point rehashing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread