Jigsaw (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Managing and owning a football club is like a jigsaw puzzle. Well it isn't but it's the best link I can do

People squeal about lack of "investment" - I e throwing money at a problem - as the biggest fault if sisu

No that's not the case. It's the hopeless mismanagement down the years. There has been plenty of money invested - just wasted.

In the Times on Sunday there was an article lamenting the demise of Leyton Orient. A proud club that's had league status longer than us but now is staring at the abyss big time.

It was a fascinating article. Orient under the ownership of Barry Hearn and with our mate as manager had a football budget of £27,000 a week. They came within a whisker of promotion.

A new owner came in and ploughed millions into the club. Wages for one player signed was £9,000 a week. Darius Henderson was paid a fortune to ply his trade

£10 million wasted in two years. Managers came and went, the money went and within two years the club is gone. A sad tale but a great article.

Sisu have mismanaged the club in the same way but that's the key. Mismanagement. It's not just "investment" - it's structure, strategy and thought that's required. Throwing money around isn't always a solution but a sticking plaster over first degree burns.

Orient have imploded. The article mentioned us and the other problem clubs but highlighted their decline as falling of the end of the world in comparison.

We hear today if a rather ridiculous rumour of new ownership. It's needed but what's needed is owners with a new direction, strategy and long term planning not just "investment"

Ask Leyton Orient.

Evo1883

Before I say what I say , I'm a big believer that to get success we need to back the club consistently in decent numbers so that it gives us better options in every department .

However the mismanagement is an ownership issue aswell .
For example had the owners been transparent with supporters from day 1 , tried to engage with the local community and kept fans onside then we would be getting better attendances , maybe not amazing but definitely better .
The relationship between owners and supporters is so bad that it would take nothing short of a miracle to get the people of Coventry and its supporters back onside .
With the extra revenue from bigger crowds we can afford to make mistakes here and there in recruitment with money to spare we can rectify recruitment mistakes or replace long term injuries . We can offer better players longer contracts , we can put more money into wages to keep players at the club ...it all trickles down
As it stands we have no room for error and with the small contracts players are offered because we are often taking a punt on them , every year most of the budget is used to bring in a silly amount of players again and the vast majority are yet again , high risk .
There is no denying that we have had some bad managerial appointments and have aquired a lot of poor players over the 10 years , but mismanagement starts at the top and ends there aswel .
They are mostly to blame

We need stability on and off the pitch

And to add something big to this , they came with the promise of purchasing half the Ricoh , extra revenue right there and they fucked it up and fucked people about left and right .
The actions of the council were shit aswel , but they have shagged this club left and right with their shitty tactics that in reality have got them nowhere.
Il be there in Exeter , in morcambe and in Hartlepool Next season and il be renewing my season ticket , but il never forgive the way they have took us down

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Managing and owning a football club is like a jigsaw puzzle. Well it isn't but it's the best link I can do

People squeal about lack of "investment" - I e throwing money at a problem - as the biggest fault if sisu

No that's not the case. It's the hopeless mismanagement down the years. There has been plenty of money invested - just wasted.

In the Times on Sunday there was an article lamenting the demise of Leyton Orient. A proud club that's had league status longer than us but now is staring at the abyss big time.

It was a fascinating article. Orient under the ownership of Barry Hearn and with our mate as manager had a football budget of £27,000 a week. They came within a whisker of promotion.

A new owner came in and ploughed millions into the club. Wages for one player signed was £9,000 a week. Darius Henderson was paid a fortune to ply his trade

£10 million wasted in two years. Managers came and went, the money went and within two years the club is gone. A sad tale but a great article.

Sisu have mismanaged the club in the same way but that's the key. Mismanagement. It's not just "investment" - it's structure, strategy and thought that's required. Throwing money around isn't always a solution but a sticking plaster over first degree burns.

Orient have imploded. The article mentioned us and the other problem clubs but highlighted their decline as falling of the end of the world in comparison.

We hear today if a rather ridiculous rumour of new ownership. It's needed but what's needed is owners with a new direction, strategy and long term planning not just "investment"

Ask Leyton Orient.

So what you're saying is Barry Hearn sold to his SISU.

Irish Sky Blue

Ask Leyton Orient.

I don't think most fans do complain about Sisu not ploughing in loads of money. The fact that they have lost And wasted millions already is one of only many faults. Everyone knows what they have done so no need to go through the charge sheet against them. The sum total of all that they have done has been a catastrophic implosion of the infrastructure of our club that leaves us only one step away from non league football and with hardly any appreciable assets. The Northampton debacle was the tipping point with the resultant loss of the right to 50% of the Ricoh the real dagger in our club's heart.
New owners who care about the club, who will engage and rebuild bridges with the community will be welcomed with open arms by all true sky blues. As long as they are open and transparent I think all but the few numptys that every supporter base has will accept the fact that if the new owners are not mega rich the club has to pay its way and that money can't be thrown about. I think a diservice is done to most City fans if it is said that their only dissatisfaction with Sisu is that they are not still throwing money at the club.
Some say they will not "invest" in a new ST until they see that Sisu are doing the same. I think that this is fair enough as Sisu have their own NOPM strategy and at least on the face of it are not now "investing" at all. Transparently giving some of transfer money recieved to the manager so that progress can at least be attempted to be made on the field rather than simply saying all money recieved keeps the club going would be a start.

Irish Sky Blue

Even if Orient go down I still think that they are in a better position than us as, as far as I know, they still have their own ground, academy and training centre. I honestly think that we are in a more perilous state than any other club, including Blackpool. Once Sisu have gone, the base we are starting at will be very low.

cloughie

Ask Leyton Orient.

Yes a very good article and it is been obvious to us that the last 9 years of mismanagement of the club has compounded everything that went before, yet they started with a clean slate according to there propaganda and were clueless.

Sorry but to start with a clean slate and get us to where we are now is beyond utter incompetence

joemercersaces

Before we went to Northampton Tim Fisher called me out of the blue after I said in a questionnaire that I wouldn't go there. Fair play to him, he spoke to me for about 45 minutes. I said that I wasn't someone to demand blind reckless financial speculation a la Leeds (and us) but that an investment in league one of a couple of million would probably ensure promotion and pay for itself with increased crowds. He agreed. He also agreed that the Crewe game demonstrated that such investment would be likely to pay dividends. But instead SISU spend the money on lawsuits. Oh no, I forgot, SISU and CCFC are totally disconnected.

shmmeee

Grendel mate.

With all due respect (which isn't a lot, but still), according to you no football club anywhere, ever will be successful.

You appear to think that CCFC is in some way unfixably broken and no owner has any chance of anything but eternal decline.

Leaving aside the obvious cry for help and the much needed advice that you see someone before your depression impacts on your daily life, what are you actually saying?

Either we're fucked, and no one could ever do better than Sisu have done (which appears to be your argument) so why not support us going pop and starting again lower down the leagues where we may be able to build? Or, your'e talking bollocks and in fact someone out there could do a better job of running CCFC than has happened in the last 9 years.

Which is it?

The club needs to manage without external investment from owners. We don't want to be at the mercy of our owners, who can pull the plug at any time on debt owed to them by the club.

Sisu wanted the club to be self sufficient on its own resources, which is a sensible aim. They went about achieving this in a disastrous way, with the focus on cutting costs and selling players with little regard for the footballing impact. The club could have cut costs, but they needed to do it in a way were the financial objectives were developed alongside the footballing objectives. Its ok to cut costs to become more efficient, and to rely on selling players to generate money, but they needed to have a structure and a plan in place to help mitigate the consequences of reduced spending. We know we are going to sell players, so why not have a plan in place, before we even know who we are going to sell and for how much, for recruitment of players of all types and positions.

We know if a manager is successful here (rare i know) that its likely they will be poached by a club higher up the league. So why not have plan in place to make sure we are consistent with the type of managers we go for, in the style of football and methods they have. This prevents a complete overhaul of style and subsequently a whole new squad having to be signed every time we have a new manager. Recruiting managers with similar styles, who like similar types of footballers, it makes more effective use of the resources we have and allows us to get managers that fit with the vision the club has.

Even to this day Tim Fishers speaks about working really hard to find new ways of generating income. The clubs biggest source of income is the fans, yet he fails to do what's necessary to maximise the income from fans.

It just been complete incompetency in every aspect of running a football club. Just imagine what we could have done with the £70m had we had more competent people running the club.

clint van damme

Grendel mate.

With all due respect (which isn't a lot, but still), according to you no football club anywhere, ever will be successful.

You appear to think that CCFC is in some way unfixably broken and no owner has any chance of anything but eternal decline.

Leaving aside the obvious cry for help and the much needed advice that you see someone before your depression impacts on your daily life, what are you actually saying?

Either we're fucked, and no one could ever do better than Sisu have done (which appears to be your argument) so why not support us going pop and starting again lower down the leagues where we may be able to build? Or, your'e talking bollocks and in fact someone out there could do a better job of running CCFC than has happened in the last 9 years.

Which is it?

that's not how I read the post, my opinion is the jist of it is that sisu haven't fucked up through lack of investment, they've fucked up because they haven't got a clue what they are doing. I'd tend to agree, with this season been the pinnacle of there disastrous tenure at the club, though they've probably got something up their sleeve to trump it.

olderskyblue

Ask Leyton Orient.

Whats that all got to do with a jigsaw? Snakes and ladders more likely, with all the ladders removed.... ;)

Agree with most of that. There has been mis-management all through their tenure, although, to be fair, they did have to worry about sky blue sam's weight....

Most on here i think would understand the aim to be self sustainable, and would be more accepting of it, if SISU were not behind it all. Their bridges have been well and truly burned

skybluedan

that's not how I read the post, my opinion is the jist of it is that sisu haven't fucked up through lack of investment, they've fucked up because they haven't got a clue what they are doing. I'd tend to agree, with this season been the pinnacle of there disastrous tenure at the club, though they've probably got something up their sleeve to trump it.

And there cunts

Hobo

Ask Leyton Orient.

You keep banging on about budgets and investments....but that isn't necessarily why people dislike SISU. You have totally misinterpreted what a lot of people have been saying.

It's interesting last year you were lambasting a manager claiming he had a top 5 budget. Then you decided budgets were irrelevant. Then last week you start a thread scaremongering how the budget is going to be slashed and the squad will need to be started from scratch. As always your logic is all over the place.

No different from when you backed SISU would win in court, then when they lost tried to argue they deliberately lost?

However at the end of your post you have finally grasped the nettle of what people have been arguing.

skybluetony176

You keep banging on about budgets and investments....but that isn't necessarily why people dislike SISU. You have totally misinterpreted what a lot of people have been saying.

It's interesting last year you were lambasting a manager claiming he had a top 5 budget. Then you decided budgets were irrelevant. Then last week you start a thread scaremongering how the budget is going to be slashed and the squad will need to be started from scratch. As always your logic is all over the place.

No different from when you backed SISU would win in court, then when they lost tried to argue they deliberately lost?

However at the end of your post you have finally grasped the nettle of what people have been arguing.

If it's Grendulls jigsaw it's bound to be a double sided one so he can keep turning it over to suit.

better days

Even if Orient go down I still think that they are in a better position than us as, as far as I know, they still have their own ground, academy and training centre. I honestly think that we are in a more perilous state than any other club, including Blackpool. Once Sisu have gone, the base we are starting at will be very low.
Actually Barry Hearn still owns the ground personally. He gave the club a 20 year lease when he sold to the crazed Italian.
Hearn had separated the stadium from the club during his years in charge
All pretty distasteful. He only sold the club after failing to blackmail the Olympic Legacy Company into letting Orient have the Olympic Hockey stadium
His plan if they'd have allowed him to have it was to sell the Matchroom stadium and 'give half the money to the club..........'
I think Orient are probably in a worse position than us on many levels

Gazolba

Were a pretty good local band for those that remember ...

But back to the subject at hand. Coventry City is a jigsaw puzzle where you spend months putting the pieces together and at the end you find there is one piece missing - the goal scorer.

dongonzalos

Ask Leyton Orient.

All true and unfortunately the mismanagement continues and arguably gets worse by the day.
Alienating fans, repeated promises that fail to materialise. Falling out with all of our partners. Pointless legal action.
No coherent plan for the fans to get behind.
False promises of new stadiums, academies and training grounds.
New scouting network set up that it turns out each year is never there. Constant high turn over of directors, managers and players.
People can handle austerity if there is a clear plan. A drive to raise revenue not just cuts and finally a belief that those decisions are made solely in the best interests of the club.

Grendel

Correct

Grendel

All true and unfortunately the mismanagement continues and arguably gets worse by the day.
Alienating fans, repeated promises that fail to materialise. Falling out with all of our partners. Pointless legal action.
No coherent plan for the fans to get behind.
False promises of new stadiums, academies and training grounds.
New scouting network set up that it turns out each year is never there. Constant high turn over of directors, managers and players.
People can handle austerity if there is a clear plan. A drive to raise revenue not just cuts and finally a belief that those decisions are made solely in the best interests of the club.

But you've always advocated taking a punt to get promotion haven't you?

dongonzalos

But you've always advocated taking a punt to get promotion haven't you?

When you are in division 4 having a punt isn't a massive punt.
I actually advocate generating revenue. If your only strategy is to cut then you are only going one direction and we are the most clear example of that. The more you cut the less success on the pitch the lower the attendances. So then you cut more.......

Unfortunately SISU have told us.....

They will buy ACL
They will build a new stadium
The new stadium will be outside of CCC juristruction
They are building a new training ground
A new Academy facility
They will not return to the Ricoh unless as owners.
They are going to stay at the Ricoh long term.
They want to develop the Butts up to 25k
Joy is hands on making the decisions talking to the players. Joy is not interested doesn't even know there was a protest.
CRFC say no bigger than 12k
They will batter people in court
They sue the council involve Wasps.
Suing people focuses the mind.
They have employed a chairman it seems that the majority of the fan base seem to have much faith in.

Unfortunately whatever plan they come up with now. Will be delivered by that chairman. it really is the boy that cried wolf. I can only see things improving with a new stratergy,under new owners.
Under new owners there is a chance of people starting to believe again.

In my insignificant opinion SISU have one chance to win over fans whilst not mismanaging. (If they actually want to.)
A new chairman, a football person with great charisma. That the fans trust and warm to. The current chairman can still be involved but hidden in the background.
SISU state that this man has full autonomy in all decisions.
The power is given for the new man to drop the legal action as part of his negotiations.
Trust is put into MR, a genuine top 2 budget for division 4 is provided.
The man negotiates a long term deal at the Ricoh and stability is bought to the club.
A big push on a marketing strategy.,
The success from a promotion campaign will bring with it crowds.
It will also bring higher transfer fees for players. Better Sponsorship deals. A feel good factor that brings money in. This will offset the increased investment.

The other option is keep cutting, keep suing and keep delivering the ever changing strategies from a chairmen who doesn't seem to be very popular.

Last edited:

Astute

Ask Leyton Orient.
Why don't you just ask Coventry City. We had Richardson do the same to us. Except he did it on a bigger scale. If he only wasted 10m in 2 years we wouldn't be in the mess we are now. We were losing over 10m each year. He even sold our ground to keep us going. And everyone who has come in since has been firefighting to try and turn things around.

mrtrench

I actually thought that Ranson's plan was a good one: don't spend loads but buy some young promising players. If we ever get another owner willing to invest that's what I would do. I simply don't believe that booze and burger money makes that much difference - hang the stadium for now, keep renting and just build a team that can get promoted. We can always get our own stadium once we have more money coming in. However SISU gave up when we weren't promoted first time around. Not everything they have done since is bad - they renegotiated the rent although the way they did it was appalling.

Hobo

The key investment is not about money spent in large sums. It is about identifying and coaching a group of players who are going to be a core for the team over a number of years. Also as their profile rises showing some resistance to cashing in early. When money does come in, a good percentage needs to be reinvested in the team.

But it is not all about players, but the ethos and philosophy around the club. There needs to be continuity around the club's approach to football and its desire to keep moving forward. It needs to create a successful and positive culture and work ethic.

Leamington Pete

that's not how I read the post, my opinion is the jist of it is that sisu haven't fucked up through lack of investment, they've fucked up because they haven't got a clue what they are doing...

This is exactly it. I recently had a conversation with a former employee (who everyone here would know). They said those at the top are really nice people but haven't a clue how to run a football club and won't take advice from those who do. Summed it all up really.

olderskyblue

Self sustainable with a vision, a plan, would be a start, SISU or no...

It would be a start, but with SISU, as seen already, it's just a downward spiral with zero trust in them. It needs the fans support and I think SISU are way beyond that whatever vision or plan they came up with. Someone new would stand a far better chance.

NorthernWisdom

It would be a start, but with SISU, as seen already, it's just a downward spiral with zero trust in them. It needs the fans support and I think SISU are way beyond that whatever vision or plan they came up with. Someone new would stand a far better chance.
They would, although (and we're splitting hairs, while basically saying the same thing) if they did come up with a feasible plan it'd help no end.

It's the fact that this leopard can't change its spots, that's the problem.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I think Grendel is absolutely right it isn't all about how much money can you throw at CCFC nor ever has been. The arguments about the money, call it investment if you want, always seem to focus on the amount never the targeted purpose. It acts as a smoke screen that obscures the fact that for several decades CCFC have had clueless leadership

Look at the audited accounts and over the last 9 years the cashflows show that SISU have sourced something over £30m in cash. On average 3m+ pa and from a reasonably clean slate in 2008 have taken CCFC to two relegations, a threadbare squad, umpteen managers (payoffs), the verge of homelessness, an Academy that does well but could be homeless in 2 months, no scouting network, multi millions in debt, created annual multi million losses that Fisher brags about reducing having created the scenario in the first place, falling crowds, fractured support or simple disinterest, lack of key partnerships, no trust, confidence or plan. All of that despite putting £30m in to the club, plus a healthy turnover (plus potential) that many other clubs would envy.

It wasn't that the problems were not clear and obvious in 2008. Many of those problems remain and are intensified. Nine years of ownership decisions pretty much dilutes the current effect of former owners decisions - especially when you take in to account that the slate was all but clean in 2008

The demise of CCFC isn't about the money its about the owners lack of ability, understanding, the wrong priorities. It is careless, inept, arrogant, fails to take responsibility,( its always someone else's fault) it lacks empathy and above all a coherent viable plan. A total failure to engage transparently/positively with just about anyone

Piss poor planning = piss poor performance

Yes others messed up to create the scenario that brought SISU here, yes there are others involved since, but that does not excuse the complete carnage created by SISU and their appointed CCFC directors & advisors. The damage to CCFC has been done not because of lack of money but because of decisions made drawn from of a lack of ability in running and leading/owning a football club.

This isn't about mediating events from 5 years ago - it is about the club changing its direction, ethos, principles. About the club forming strong bonds with the fans but also with business and other decision makers in Coventry. You cant change the past you can affect the future

To quote Grendel
THIS .......a change of owners "It's needed but what's needed is owners with a new direction, strategy and long term planning not just "investment" - just anyone or a CCFC fan will not do, they must have the skills to run the club properly and a plan to achieve a positive future

just my opinion of course.....

Last edited:

Bill Glazier

Ask Leyton Orient.
Sisu's tenure can be split into two halves of about 5 years each. First half, straightforward incompetence both on and on the pitch, marked notably by their failure to acquire a 50% share of the Ricoh at a reasonable price. Second half, incompetence on

Ask Leyton Orient.
Sisu's tenure started with mere incompetence and then moved onto greed, spite, stubborness, stupidity and incompetence. Tbh we're in too perilous a position to contemplate NOPM anymore. Another relegation after this and will be catastrophic. We have to take Fisher at his word (difficult I know) and assume he means it when he says the club will have to be financed by the gates. The fans will have to support the club out of this mess.

letsallsingtogether

If it's Grendulls jigsaw it's bound to be a double sided one so he can keep turning it over to suit.
A Sisu Jigsaw?
Surely half of the pieces would be missing.
giphy.gif

Could look like this if it was ever finished

Users who are viewing this thread