Jim O'Brien (1 Viewer)

David O'Day

He was shit and seemed a bit of a knob but he ran about a lot so it's okay.

I still remember him playing a awful ball to stokes and then bollocking stokes when it went straight out of play.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I thought he was one of our better players like to know points picked up when he played and points when he didn't also his departing coincided with our drop off in the league.

clint van damme

See case name - Baker, Carl for the most bizarre one in my time following City.

I'll see your carl baker and raise you a mo konjic,
I thought he was one of our better players like to know points picked up when he played and points when he didn't also his departing coincided with our drop off in the league.

the decline started before he left.

Martin180

Jim O'Brien was possibly the worst player I've seen in nearly 40 years positionally , he ran around a lot , chased lost causes but left massive gaps behind him and cared little for the team .

But as Cov fans we boo a player like Murphy but love a headless chicken ....

Last edited:

thekidfromstrettoncamp

He did make some bad calls but others made worse ones and Mr Murphy (who I did not boo) towards the end of the season would not chase causes clearly within his capabilities.

luwalla

See case name - Baker, Carl for the most bizarre one in my time following City.

he scored 25 goals in his two seasons in league one for us , from midfield, and then he went from us to MK dons & was player of the season & instrumental in getting them promoted, banging in the goals from midfield again & setting them up again... you might not like him, for whatever reason, but at this level was a great player to have.... also wasn't afraid to profess his love for the club, still lives in the city etc - all things considered ( footballing & otherwise ) not hard to see why a lot of fans loved him.

Id give my right arm for a midfielder who could score 15 goals for us next season & set up a fair few too!

Otis

he scored 25 goals in his two seasons in league one for us , from midfield, and then he went from us to MK dons & was player of the season & instrumental in getting them promoted, banging in the goals from midfield again & setting them up again... you might not like him, for whatever reason, but at this level was a great player to have.... also wasn't afraid to profess his love for the club, still lives in the city etc - all things considered ( footballing & otherwise ) not hard to see why a lot of fans loved him.

Id give my right arm for a midfielder who could score 15 goals for us next season & set up a fair few too!
I liked him a lot, so am not at all biased in my thinking, but we simply do not know if it is TM's fault JOB left and we do not know if he would have made an ounce of difference to our play-off aspirations.

I thought he was the usual JOB at first last season, but for me something did seem amiss and TM substituted him a few times. A couple of occasions I thought it odd, but on others I felt it fully justified, with the lad just not having his usual influence. He was also on the bench rather than first choice.

I do find it strange he has ended up at Shrewsbury.

In February he went to Scunthorpe and he said 'I was in a bad place mentally at Coventry. ' And he also said he lived in Barnsley and he had a very young child.

In June he signed for Shrewsbury.

Bit of a head scratcher.

fernandopartridge

I liked him a lot, so am not at all biased in my thinking, but we simply do not know if it is TM's fault JOB left and we do not know if he would have made an ounce of difference to our play-off aspirations.

I thought he was the usual JOB at first last season, but for me something did seem amiss and TM substituted him a few times. A couple of occasions I thought it odd, but on others I felt it fully justified, with the lad just not having his usual influence. He was also on the bench rather than first choice.

I do find it strange he has ended up at Shrewsbury.

In February he went to Scunthorpe and he said 'I was in a bad place mentally at Coventry. ' And he also said he lived in Barnsley and he had a very young child.

In June he signed for Shrewsbury.

Bit of a head scratcher.
He signed for the club who wanted him that's all

luwalla

Old enough to not be fawning over an ex player because he still lives in the city.

He was good for us, and as with O'brien I rated him when he was here. That's as far as it goes.
a few facts on why was all... its ok, i see you have a habit of talking about giving blokes hand jobs. whatever floats your boat

pastythegreat

I think ultimately Jim should have been professional enough to deal with squad rotation. Jim was a good player against the right sort of team but often went missing through the game. Never looked really threatening in my opinion.
If you call being dropped constantly for Murphy 'squad rotation'. He was replaced by a player opposite to him!
Jim workerd hard and occasionally went missing. Jacob was always missing and occasionally worked hard.
I'd voice my opinions to the gaffer if the player taking my shirt week in/week out was on the pitch (metaphorically) less than I was!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

Your all Cunts! He was unhappy so decided he wanted to move nearer home. He was well over due a hernia operation by 2 years so moved and guess what? He went away and within a few games of man of the match he was injured as he needed................
Wanted to move closer to home? Did he tell you that personally? Or was that info from Mr.Mowbray/CET? That's why he now plays further from home than he did with us?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

ClarkeZ

He'll get a good reception from me. He was a hard working player, always gave the other defense something to think about as he would actually take the ball forward, find space, find other players an run at people. He worked his arse off week in week out, put in MOTM performances and they got dropped for players like Kent, Bigi and Hunt. I would be furious, TM didn't like him and therefore didn't want to play him. Thats TMs decision but I would be frustrated if I was Jim, the move was his only option, but it came at a time when we were desperate for a player with some balls to take games by the scruff of the neck and show a little guts on a streak losing 10 out of 15, but instead he was playing for someone else.

causation does not imply correlation
Not when JOB is involved, but everyone uses it as a focal point of arguments for why Kent was so unbelievably fantastic.

slowpoke

JOB was a very good league one player he obviously wasn't settled in Coventry otherwise he would of stayed. He gave his all to the team when picked his work rate was always there gave 100% imo. Can't see why the fans would boo him but then again with our supporters wouldn't put it past us to boo him

Nick

Administrator
JOB was a very good league one player he obviously wasn't settled in Coventry otherwise he would of stayed. He gave his all to the team when picked his work rate was always there gave 100% imo. Can't see why the fans would boo him but then again with our supporters wouldn't put it past us to boo him
To be honest, not personally bothered if our fans boo any opposition player. Whether they played for us or not, they don't now.

Way too soft.

slowpoke

To be honest, not personally bothered if our fans boo any opposition player. Whether they played for us or not, they don't now.

Way too soft.
Wouldn't say it bothers me I just think what's the point sometimes only makes a former player only go and prove a point to the fans by playing better. Either way I don't care really what sort of reception he receives I'm sure he won't care either

Osullivan18

I personally think we would have made the play offs had he continued playing. I didn't get the Ryan Kent hype, but with JOB he made a genuine difference and once he stopped playing we went on a dreadful run of games.
Last season was the first time I had a ST, and having read about JOB on here I assumed he would just run around with no end product, but I was genuinely impressed by him and could not understand why he couldn't keep his place.
But TM obviously knew or saw something I didn't

Osullivan18

On the point I won't boo him, only player I enjoyed booing last year was Hussey as I met the guy a few times and he was a genuine moron.

theferret

Old enough to not be fawning over an ex player because he still lives in the city.

He was good for us, and as with O'brien I rated him when he was here. That's as far as it goes.

Well that's perfectly fine. I don't see much fawning though - just people who will jump to his defence when others aim abuse at him - like a comment the other night when somebody said they would love it if he broke his leg.

Baker was a decent player for us. He is also just about the nicest professional footballer you could meet. His kids are city fans, so of course people get influenced by these sort of things. i respect the guy a lot, no more than that, but don't understand the abuse and bile some people have for him. He has long since moved on and so should we.

Otis

Don't think I have ever booed an ex City player. Don't boo anyone unless they seriously misbehave or cheat during an actual game.

Users who are viewing this thread