John Terry given England Captaincy Back! (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
He is now the England captain again.

I think it was a bit weird to take it off him in the first place but once it was taken it shouldn't have been given back out of principle.

Coventry La La La

If he's the most capable leader in the squad then I can't see a reason why he shouldn't be captain also does anyone actually care about what he did a year ago.?

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
I don't think it's the fact Terry is captain, it's more to do with the way Capello handled it, it's not exactly fair on Ferdinand who in my opinion the players like and respect more than Terry.

For such an experienced manager he has the worst man management skills I've ever seen, he just comes across as someone who doesn't have a clue and I look forward to getting knocked out of the Euro's and we see the back of him.

I'd rather see Ferdinand stay on as captain.

Nick

Administrator
I don't rate Capello at all. I know it has been hyped up etc but I would like to see Harry Redknapp be given a go!

skybluetom

This whole thing has been a disaster for Capello and sums him up to be quite frank. He was wrong to take it away from Terry in the first place and it clearly split the dressing room and probably played a part in what was a shambolic World Cup. Giving it him back now though at this point is ridiculous and completely undermines Capello, it should have gone to Gerrard on the basis that his form seemed to improve as captain and he's available a lot more regularly than Ferdinand plus he's already a very able captain at Liverpool.

Nick

Administrator
This whole thing has been a disaster for Capello and sums him up to be quite frank. He was wrong to take it away from Terry in the first place and it clearly split the dressing room and probably played a part in what was a shambolic World Cup. Giving it him back now though at this point is ridiculous and completely undermines Capello, it should have gone to Gerrard on the basis that his form seemed to improve as captain and he's available a lot more regularly than Ferdinand plus he's already a very able captain at Liverpool.

Gerrard would have been my choice. Isn't he out for next week though?

skybluetom

Yeah I think he's out, had some sort of op I believe. I'd have probably have given it to Ashley Cole in his absence.

Covstu

I agreed with the decision a year ago and i think it should still stand, one thing was cklear from the world cup we did not have a leader out on the pitch. Gerrard is not vocal enough and it actually took Rooney to gee up the team on many occasions. Personally i think Ferdinand or Lampard should have it.

skybluetom

I agreed with the decision a year ago and i think it should still stand, one thing was cklear from the world cup we did not have a leader out on the pitch. Gerrard is not vocal enough and it actually took Rooney to gee up the team on many occasions. Personally i think Ferdinand or Lampard should have it.
e

We didn't have a leader, Terry is the only stand out captain in that team. For that reason he should never have been stripped, what came out about Terry proved he wasn't a particularly nice individual or a good husband but that didn't make him him a bad captain. Footballers often are not very nice individuals, it doesn't make them bad players.

Bennets Afro

The England captaincy should be one of the most highly regarded things to an English footballer. It's an honour to captain your country and like sven did with the friendlies (million subs), the captaincy has become worthless

MatthewWallis

so someone who happily sleeps with his team mates wife is a good leader?

he shouldnt be captain if he basically has no respect for his team mates

Walking Bird

Still finding it hard to get much excitement up about England after last summers farce!
given the players available Terry is probably best choice but i would'nt make him permanent captain. That should go to Gerrard

dl67

Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard - all failed as captains in my opinion.

Why not look to the future and blood someone like Wilshere? He's going to be in the England team 10 years from now, none of the other contenders will.

stupot07

To be honest I don't really get understand why the England Captaincy is such a big deal. We seem to be the only Country that is obsessed by it.

It may sound like a cliche (and it is) but at their should be 11 captains on the pitch at that level. Encouraging, keeping morale up and leading by example.

I don't agree with Capello, Terry doesn't deserve it back, not just the adultery, but selling complementary tickets, selling a tour around the Chelsea training ground and trying to lead a player revolt at the World Cup....

sky_blue_up_north

Does not make any difference, England win never win another major trophy in my life time

Pigeon

JW will be captain one day just not yet in Capello's 'old' side. JT is a good choice if Rio isn't going to be fit as he is a natural leader. Really don't rate Fabio after the world cup. It was just embarrassing.

Coventry La La La

Anyone watch the Chelski/Man City game? The Chelski fans were singing "theirs only one England captain" and had a load of banners up in support of the news looked impressive!

Hcut PUSB

Footballing wise its not that strange JT was a reasoanable skipper for England IMHO. Problem was never on the field ehh.

Hugh Jarse

I don't give a toss that he shagged Bridge's EX girlfriend. I'm sure this kind of behavour goes on in a lot of clubs.

However, if you believe what was written at the time of last years World Cup, Terry was a devisive element in the England camp and his high and mighty attitude and actions certainly contributed to our disgraceful performances in South Africa. For that reason alone, I wouldn't hand back the captaincy to him. I reckon this is a ploy by Capello to get himself sacked, thereby benefiting from a pay off. Remember, he gets nowt if he quits!

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't somebody doing Leon McKenzie's wife at Norwich?

I can't see them sacking him though. It will take something really bad or a player revolt!

Isn't he quitting after the Euros anyway?

SkyBlueScottie

Quite how anybody can say Terry should be captain is beyond me, reported to have a total disdain for the the public at large, ie going on a bender all day, taking a piss on the dancefloor and then chucking money at staff while sneering at them and bragging about how much he earns, Bridgegate, selling tours for cash of Chelsea stadium / training ground, and then more importantly his behaviour at the world cup was absolutely scandalous, for that alone he should never have played for England again, the very fact he has done so and now has been reinstated as Capt is bizarre.

Hugh Jarse

Alledgedly! his Mum can get you as many tea bags and nappies she can shove up her jumper and his Dad get you as much gear as you like.

Quite a special family, don't ya think?

SkyBlueScottie

Saying that its not just Terry is it? Ferdninand missed a drugs test and got a ban, gerard was involved in that bar fight....

I applauded Cappello's tough stance at the beginning of his reign " behave or you went get picked" however I did also think it may come to bite him on the backside.

skybluetom

Saying that its not just Terry is it? Ferdninand missed a drugs test and got a ban, gerard was involved in that bar fight....

I applauded Cappello's tough stance at the beginning of his reign " behave or you went get picked" however I did also think it may come to bite him on the backside.

Exactly, you go down the moral route and not only will you not have a captain you won't have a team. Wilshire is going to be wonderful, we can all see that and he probably is the future England Captain but didn't accept a caution for assult in relation to an incident at a nightclub in the early hours recently? The same day revelations came out that he snook a girl into his hotel room the day before a game I believe.

Don't get me wrong Terry has done a lot of stupid things and isn't somebody to judge your moral compass by but he is a good captain, that's all that matters, to me anyway.

GaryPendrysEyes

Dont likeTerry. His World Cup performance did it for me-- he sulked, lacked passion, left the likes of Upson up sh*t creek and played poorly. He's past it and is up his own *rse.

sternslovchild

Can Capello speak English yet? The only thing Irish football has over English football is that we got the better Italian!

That said, I listened to a John Terry interview on Monday and he actually spoke in coherent sentences. He is still a great massive aunt that should be in prison though.

trapattoni_caricature.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread