Josh Eccles New Contract (2 Viewers)

Offhegoes

Excellent news. Expect him to competing with Hamer & Sheaf for the centre midfield spot from February, and a decent back-up for RWB if need be.

stevefloyd

Hasn't he been injured a lot?
To be fair when Gerrard first started getting into the Bin dippers team he was injured quite a lot, they put it down to growing pains he didn't turn out too bad...well for Liverpool anyway

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Bit surprised by the length of contract but i've got assume Robins et al really see something in him. I didn't get excited about signing Gyokeres so i think that's a good sign that Eccles will turn out to be brilliant!

The next season or so i think we really need to see where the manager sees his best position, is he RWB or a centre mid?

Sky Blue Harry H

Club can't win really - sign players on long contracts (good for medium/long term planning). Short term contracts and if the player does well, everybody criticises them for not tying the player down. Injuries then make fans adjust their viewpoint. Some you'll win, some you'll lose. If Cal O'Hare had signed a 3 year contract in the summer, would fans be moaning?

Edit: if the player hasn't quite made it, but the club can see the potential. then it's a good move by the club. The 'better' they are in the present (e.g. Vik), the less chance you have of tying them down on anything other than short extensions (or none at all)

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Club can't win really - sign players on long contracts (good for medium/long term planning). Short term contracts and if the player does well, everybody criticises them for not tying the player down. Injuries then make fans adjust their viewpoint. Some you'll win, some you'll lose. If Cal O'Hare had signed a 3 year contract in the summer, would fans be moaning?
No

Sick Boy

You can hardly compare him to CoH - it’s more akin to the ridiculous extensions for Godden and Kelly.

Covkid1968#

Happy with this… he seems to be really rated by the management team so that’s good enough for me. Plus his missus who was waiting outside the gents for him a couple of home game back looked pretty decent.

Sky Blue Harry H

You can hardly compare him to CoH - it’s more akin to the ridiculous extensions for Godden and Kelly.
Disagree re: Kelly/Godden, due to age comparisons. With regards to C O'H, Eccles wages will be comparatively negligible in terms of budget.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Because once again it's a lack of pragmatism from the club.

Eccles, as talented as he is, quite clearly has persistent injury issues which he can't seem to shake. Every single season he's been out for long periods which at this stage of his career should set off some alarm bells.

I doubt his issues are suddenly going to disappear.

Understandable why the club want to retain him but unsure why they couldn't have just offered him a 2 year extension with an option of a further year in their favour. It's still a fair contract to offer and ties him down for potentially 3 years - just with a bit more flexibility.

slowpoke

To be fair when Gerrard first started getting into the Bin dippers team he was injured quite a lot, they put it down to growing pains he didn't turn out too bad...well for Liverpool anyway
Ryan Giggs the same had a lot of hamstring injuries early on but became a regular at Man U until he was nearly 40.

Users who are viewing this thread