Last Away Game In The Prem (1 Viewer)

Bad Boy

Just watched highlights of our last away game in the prem May 2001.
It was painful.

no_loyalty

I was there, got house bricks thrown at me after the game to make things worse.

rob9872

Early days of mobile phones and no Internet connection. Mate phoned me up from old Trafford and told me they were losing to Derby. Heart sank :(

stay_up_skyblues

I was there. Was my first sight of genuine football violence and I haven’t seen anything close since. Dreadful day all round.

xcraigx

I was sat in the Doug Ellis upper with Villa fans who were chucking coins and whatnot at the City fans underneath. A grim day.

Como

I was there, prefer to remember Spurs away 1997 I think.

To be fair any agro was nothing compared to say West Ham at home in the early 70s.

scottccfc

I was there as a 12 year old, lucky to of experienced it in a box behind the city fans.
Worst feeling walking out of villa park that day

LastGarrison

It was amusing when the shutters got lifted on the concourse at half time……

Horrible day all round and their fans and the old bill were a bunch of cunts.

And don’t get me started on that useless fuckpig Juan Pablo Angel who saved his only league goal of the season for us.

If we do get promoted and play the fuckers again I think a few may change their mind from their ‘There’s no rivalry there’ stance.

Mr Dave

And don’t get me started on that useless fuckpig Juan Pablo Angel who saved his only league goal of the season for us.

If we do get promoted and play the fuckers again I think a few may change their mind from their ‘There’s no rivalry there’ stance.
I remember those shutters coming up and getting out of there as fast as possible. Was only 16 at the time and it was not an enjoyable away day in the slightest.

skybluepm2

Even as a spotty 15 year old, as soon as I saw Angel’s number up on the board, I just knew it was inevitable that he’d break his duck and score.

That day is an unwanted memory that will stick with me forever. The relegations to L1 and L2 far less so, I’m just praying it’ll be tears of joy rather than despair come the full time whistle on Saturday.

duffer

I was there, and weirdly don't remember being that down about it.

As I recall we'd been sinking for a long time before it finally happened and from memory the defeat against Everton that season was a far, far worse performance.

I think I'd convinced myself that a year in the Championship would be a nice change, actually winning more than eight games in a season and then bouncing back refreshed. Shows what I knew, eh. 😁

AJB1983

Interesting - wasn’t at that game, just heard the last bit on radio as was busy with other engagements, but remember it so well.
Was actually at villa park the day after for fa vase final (supporting Taunton with my mate) and I wore my Cov top - one steward said ‘you’re a day late mate’. C

never cried then, nor at subsequent relegations when I was actually there, but if we manage the unthinkable Saturday then I will.

one match from redemption…. What happens next - I think we’ll fair better than most.

Travs

It was a rough day.... the atmosphere in and around The Rocket and the station was charged up... it seemed like most people felt we were down and wanted to go out with a bang.

I remember the train stopped on a road bridge somewhere before Witton and there were loads of Villa fans walking underneath, and the hostility from the train was unbelievable.

Made all the worse by being up at half time and having our hopes up.

After the game was pretty bad from all concerned.... Cov, Villa, Police.... a lot of rumours going round that Birmingham were around after trouble as well.

I think a lot of people were fortunate that CCTV wasn't quite so prevalent, and on that day the police took the approach of dealing with trouble on the spot, rather than letting people get on with it and recording it all... i took a baton round the head & back, and am eternally thankful that they were the only real consequences (except of course for 15 years of downhill spiral at CCFC....!)

M&B Stand

A Villa fan was badly beaten by a copper, to the point of being a cabbage, the copper was charged and it went to court in Warwick, got a not guilty in the end but I remember hearing about the trial dragging on for months, may have been years. Bad shit that.

Sick Boy

It was a rough day.... the atmosphere in and around The Rocket and the station was charged up... it seemed like most people felt we were down and wanted to go out with a bang.

I remember the train stopped on a road bridge somewhere before Witton and there were loads of Villa fans walking underneath, and the hostility from the train was unbelievable.

Made all the worse by being up at half time and having our hopes up.

After the game was pretty bad from all concerned.... Cov, Villa, Police.... a lot of rumours going round that Birmingham were around after trouble as well.

I think a lot of people were fortunate that CCTV wasn't quite so prevalent, and on that day the police took the approach of dealing with trouble on the spot, rather than letting people get on with it and recording it all... i took a baton round the head & back, and am eternally thankful that they were the only real consequences (except of course for 15 years of downhill spiral at CCFC....!)
I think all sides were lucky CCTV wasn’t as widespread! Most of my upper body and back were a mixture of black, brown, blue and yellow for a couple of weeks afterwards.

Even if we’d have held on to the 2 nil lead that day we would have gone down from memory as Derby beat Man U at old Trafford

wasn’t that the game that Telfer broke his leg in as well?

rob9872

A Villa fan was badly beaten by a copper, to the point of being a cabbage, the copper was charged and it went to court in Warwick, got a not guilty in the end but I remember hearing about the trial dragging on for months, may have been years. Bad shit that.
Presume he got off as it was hard to argue without cctv that the kid wasn't already cabbaged being a Vile fan.

lordsummerisle

I was there, and weirdly don't remember being that down about it.

As I recall we'd been sinking for a long time before it finally happened and from memory the defeat against Everton that season was a far, far worse performance.

I think I'd convinced myself that a year in the Championship would be a nice change, actually winning more than eight games in a season and then bouncing back refreshed. Shows what I knew, eh. 😁

Was there too, but you're right about the Everton game.

A few Everton fans knew through work cane down for that one, and telling us in the pub beforehand how we were going to batter them as just had kids out pretty much due to injuries.

Think lost 4-1? Last minute penalty from Carsley for us I think, couldn't even be arsed to cheer.

CV22SBA

Absolute carnage that day. Outside the Shakespeare pub loads of Villa ran at us and i think to their surprise no Cov actually ran away and just started to battle. Old Bill turned up after a few minutes and i got whacked in the left leg with that metal-type flick baton they used to wave around, not sure they still have them but they f***ing hurt and i was limping for about 2 weeks. We ended up getting pushed back towards the shops and somehow ended up in boots i think it was and some bright spark decided to lock the doors with us all in there still. I think the windows got put through in the end.

After the game we were penned against the railings waiting to get on the train at Witton surrounded by hundreds of police, horses and dogs whilst being pelted with coins from the villa fans walking past. Horrible, horrible day.

rondog1973

Even if we’d have held on to the 2 nil lead that day we would have gone down from memory as Derby beat Man U at old Trafford

wasn’t that the game that Telfer broke his leg in as well?
Game changed after he went off. Had been playing like a man possessed!

Covkid1968#

Villa will go on about sending us down… they didn’t. We were getting relegated regardless of the result. Grim old day. Would be great to play them again… but I don’t get the animosity towards them. Maybe I’m getting old 🤷🏻

LastGarrison

Villa will go on about sending us down… they didn’t. We were getting relegated regardless of the result. Grim old day. Would be great to play them again… but I don’t get the animosity towards them. Maybe I’m getting old 🤷🏻
I’m sure we could have still technically stayed up on the final game but all of the other games had to go our way and we had to beat Bradford something like 15-0.

I didn’t even bother with that game and in hindsight glad I didn’t……

bigfatronssba

Wasn't at the game, by that point of the season I'd accepted that relegation was inevitable.

But that night, for some reason I decided to watch Match of the Day. Jug ears was on there with his Leicester smirk, then they played this on the credits, and I couldn't stop myself from crying:

fatso

Aren't all Villa fans cabbages anyway, the judge probably thought there was fuck all wrong with the c**t.

Bit harsh I know, but I struggle to find any sympathy for Villa fans after their attitude to us that day.

Travs

Aren't all Villa fans cabbages anyway, the judge probably thought there was fuck all wrong with the c**t.

Bit harsh I know, but I struggle to find any sympathy for Villa fans after their attitude to us that day.

What would our attitude be to Villa had we sent them down around that time?

Probably something pretty similar.

Users who are viewing this thread