Latest Trust Email (1 Viewer)

ashbyjan

There appears to be a bit of confusion over this Not One Penny More. NOPM is not an organisation, it was an idea started by Jim and it has grown to the point where he does not have time to run it so the Trust has agreed to take it over from him. NOPM had no actual stated objectives, plans, rules, membership etc. The Trust has taken it over on the understanding that it is not to be a SISU Out campaign - it is designed as the slogan for the campaign to keep the club at the Ricoh. Members were consulted about keeping the club at the Ricoh and overwhelmingly voted that should be the Trusts stance and we have acted accordingly. There will be some who want NOPM to be SISU Out as there are some Trust members who feel the same - however the current Trust stance is that the major issue facing us at this moment is not about the ownership - that will be decided in the courts and the Football League - it is about staying at the Ricoh.

The Trust has a meeting with the Football League this week and we will be questioning them about various matters including the Fit and Proper test's validity but main topic will be the unacceptable prospect of the team playing away from Coventry and the wishes of Trust members to stay at the Ricoh.

So once again - NOPM is not being backed by the Trust, it is now being run by the Trust and its direction is not SISU Out but Keep Cov In Cov.

Godiva

Wasn't NOPM meant to be Not One Penny More while sisu are owners?
To promote the idea not to attend home games (at the Ricoh!), not buy season tickets, not buy kits etc to starve the club from revenue?

Nick

Administrator
The thing is though Jan (I am probably wrong) but shouldn't we wait to see 100% that we won't be at the Ricoh before that?

The Trust keep saying it isn't Anti SISU and I know there is probably no control over the members but when the trust organise a protest in London (That isn't Anti SISU) there are tweets like this:

On the coach to London. For the sky blue anti SISU protest. Wish us luck!

Off to London to protest against the professional money stealers !!! #pusb #SisuIsCorrupt

Also this video looks a bit SISU out doesn't it?

[video]http://youtu.be/ulE4KXBLKi8[/video]

ashbyjan

Waiting is not really an option - it looks pretty likely that SISU/Holdings/Otium will be getting the club back and the CEO of that company has stated quite clearly and loudly that he is moving the team away from the Ricoh. Whilst there is still time to affect the decision - after all the FL does have the final say in such a move - then we have to put as much pressure as possible on the FL etc to try and stop this happening.

When you have an organisation of 2000+ people you are going to have a wide spectrum of opinion - from those who put 100% of the blame on ACL/CCC to those who hold SISU 100% to blame to others who blame Richardson/Robinson/Ranson/The Trust etc so whilst we can put over a majority view we cannot stop people having their own opinions and actions. The trip to SISU was intended to be part of the Keep Cov In Cov campaign but if some members wish to express themselves we are not going to expel the for not towing the party line!! I agree it doesn't help get the real message across and distracts from the core campaign.

crowsnest

What to ACL have to do for you to protest against them?

They have stated many times that they will not talk to Fisher.

We want both sides to talk!

torchomatic

Yes, there is confusion over the NOPM campaign, who is behind and what it hopes to achieve. As I stated in my "Battle and War" thread the important thing at the moment, the most vital thing is to keep Coventry City at the Ricoh, nothing else matters until that is sorted out. Once that hopefully happens then by-all-means fans should continue their anti-SISU campaign if that is what they wish to do.

I am really disappointed by the Trusts stance on NOPM, it's counter-productive and hurts the Club as well as SISU.

There appears to be a bit of confusion over this Not One Penny More. NOPM is not an organisation, it was an idea started by Jim and it has grown to the point where he does not have time to run it so the Trust has agreed to take it over from him. NOPM had no actual stated objectives, plans, rules, membership etc. The Trust has taken it over on the understanding that it is not to be a SISU Out campaign - it is designed as the slogan for the campaign to keep the club at the Ricoh. Members were consulted about keeping the club at the Ricoh and overwhelmingly voted that should be the Trusts stance and we have acted accordingly. There will be some who want NOPM to be SISU Out as there are some Trust members who feel the same - however the current Trust stance is that the major issue facing us at this moment is not about the ownership - that will be decided in the courts and the Football League - it is about staying at the Ricoh.

The Trust has a meeting with the Football League this week and we will be questioning them about various matters including the Fit and Proper test's validity but main topic will be the unacceptable prospect of the team playing away from Coventry and the wishes of Trust members to stay at the Ricoh.

So once again - NOPM is not being backed by the Trust, it is now being run by the Trust and its direction is not SISU Out but Keep Cov In Cov.

Nick

Administrator
I understand that you can't tell people what to say or do but I guess it is just the way it comes across to people who weren't there and the message it gives when it comes up on Central News or Late Kick off about a Sky Blue Trust protest and people shouting SISU out and holding up big signs.

Is there no option of talking to SISU if we are moving to try and get the best deal for the fans? It might get to the point where the fact we will be playing somewhere else is dead cert and nothing can be done to change it, can the Trust not then try to deal with SISU to get the best deal when it comes to travel, ticket prices, the padded seats etc?

This isn't me saying "help SISU move the club away", as that is the last thing I want but it is more where is the point where it gets where nothing can be done to change it, so we need to get the best for the people who will still go?

ashbyjan

Torchy - the Trust took the view that the concept of NOPM was a good one but it had no clear direction and by the Trust taking control it now has that direction and it is Keep Cov In Cov, nothing more or less but Keep Cov In Cov - hope that explains it - Not One Penny More until it is confirmed that Cov will be playing at the Ricoh next season.

Nick - the Trust view is that the point of no return has yet to be reached where moving is concerned and we will fight any attempts to move the club away tooth and nail. At this stage any attempts to talk to SISU about the merits of a move etc would be seen as endorsing the action - if it is deemed that we have passed the point and it is clear that despite what the fans say to SISU they are still determined to drag the team out of the City then we will go to the membership and ask what they feel we should do next - co-operate? protest? boycott? etc - but as I have said we have not reached that point yet.

I agree with the images that were shown and I, personally, agree with you that they did not give a true representation of what the "protest" was about but passions were running high and its not hard to whip up a quick SISU Out chant. Fortunately we do not have press censorship so what the news companies choose to broadcast is up to them, mistake was to give them that option. All we can continue to do is to represent the view of the majority of members as best we can - but when you do something like a trip to London it will naturally attract the more militant members.

Grendel

Torchy - the Trust took the view that the concept of NOPM was a good one but it had no clear direction and by the Trust taking control it now has that direction and it is Keep Cov In Cov, nothing more or less but Keep Cov In Cov - hope that explains it - Not One Penny More until it is confirmed that Cov will be playing at the Ricoh next season.

Nick - the Trust view is that the point of no return has yet to be reached where moving is concerned and we will fight any attempts to move the club away tooth and nail. At this stage any attempts to talk to SISU about the merits of a move etc would be seen as endorsing the action - if it is deemed that we have passed the point and it is clear that despite what the fans say to SISU they are still determined to drag the team out of the City then we will go to the membership and ask what they feel we should do next - co-operate? protest? boycott? etc - but as I have said we have not reached that point yet.

I agree with the images that were shown and I, personally, agree with you that they did not give a true representation of what the "protest" was about but passions were running high and its not hard to whip up a quick SISU Out chant. Fortunately we do not have press censorship so what the news companies choose to broadcast is up to them, mistake was to give them that option. All we can continue to do is to represent the view of the majority of members as best we can - but when you do something like a trip to London it will naturally attract the more militant members.

I forsee a long response from your best friend coming soon........

NorthernWisdom

but when you do something like a trip to London it will naturally attract the more militant members.

Which is maybe why the Trust shouldn't do such things?

The people who want to protest will protest anyway, and there's no reason why they shouldn't, but if it confuses the Trust's message why not let them protest away from the Trust's umbrella? They won't get any more or less protestors going along by doing so, I'm sure.

ashbyjan

Grendel - I would be disappointed if it goes without at least a two hundred word diatribe!!

NW - We live and learn. We learned from the LKO debacle where words were taken out of context and we will learn from this as well. At the end of the day the overall message of discontent at Cov did get into the national media, agreed it wasn't exactly the message we would have liked but at least it kept our plight in the public eye.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Jan when you meet with them can you emphasise that certain people will not be giving up their struggle. and if they are not carefull then this could be their Bosman. The reson Im saying this is because pressure will be kept up with MPs media etc and this will obviously impact on the Football League. In other words Jan they either get their house in order or somebody else might there are a lot of people looking at this case

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I wouldn't say it would be helping the situation, it would be more like having a plan for if it was to happen.

I know it wouldn't be saying "Hello SISU, how can we help you move the club?" but it surely would be good to have a plan in place for the point of no return where you can negotiate?

Won't it get to the point after the trust has encouraged people to hassle SISU that they won't take the Trust seriously and if it does come to the negotiation to get the best deal for the fans you won't be able to?

This isn't me saying that anybody is blameless, more like leave avenues open.

Nick the only time as I have said before that Fisher asked for help from the Trust was regarding grounshare nothing ele. In other words using the Trust offers of mediation etc ignored where is the negotiation? Sisu have proved with anyone they deal with that they will negotiate so long as they get what they want

NorthernWisdom

NW - We live and learn. We learned from the LKO debacle where words were taken out of context and we will learn from this as well. At the end of the day the overall message of discontent at Cov did get into the national media, agreed it wasn't exactly the message we would have liked but at least it kept our plight in the public eye.

Fair play, accept that fully.

Also why feedback is always useful I feel, as long as it's in a constructive way. How else are we all going to learn after all, as this is new to us all?

And at least you do try to listen, if only the main protagonists tried to do the same!

Nick

Administrator
Nick the only time as I have said before that Fisher asked for help from the Trust was regarding grounshare nothing ele. In other words using the Trust offers of mediation etc ignored where is the negotiation? Sisu have proved with anyone they deal with that they will negotiate so long as they get what they want

I just mean things like if we are 100% moving and there is nothing anybody can do about it, then speaking to SISU and trying to make the best out of a shit situation rather than cutting all ties with them.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I just mean things like if we are 100% moving and there is nothing anybody can do about it, then speaking to SISU and trying to make the best out of a shit situation.

Unfortunately Nick the membership of the trust voted by a large majority against a move out of Coventry do you think that will change if it is confirmed we will be groundsharing?

Nick

Administrator
Unfortunately Nick the membership of the trust voted by a large majority against a move out of Coventry do you think that will change if it is confirmed we will be groundsharing?

Of course I don't, I don't want us to move either but if it gets to the point where it is a done deal and there is nothing anybody can do then free coach travel, pint and pie at the other ground wouldn't go a miss ;)

Before anybody say I dont care etc, it is an example and of course I want us to stay at the Ricoh.

NorthernWisdom

It won't change, of course it won't change.

But at some point (hopefully never, but) if they do move somebody has to try and make the best of it. You can still shout the message that you want the club back in Coventry and this is stupid, can still allow people not to go somewhere else if they don't want to, but can still try to talk to them to make the best of it or try to have some influence in them actually coming back, even if it's just banging your head against a brick wall.

If you cut off the channels of communication you lose whatever hope you have, even if it seems there's no hope anyway.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Of course I don't, I don't want us to move either but if it gets to the point where it is a done deal and there is nothing anybody can do then free coach travel, pint and pie at the other ground wouldn't go a miss ;)

Isnt the whole of Fishers argument over pies and pies revenue and now hes giving them away and no revenue from carparking and now free travel:p The mans a genius

ashbyjan

Nick / BHSB - if the situation is that FL ratifies a move and SISU/Otium/Holdings/SBS&L etc confirm that it is going to happen however the fans feel about it then we will go back to the membership and ask how they wish the Trust to respond - if they vote for us to work with the club to make the best of a bad job then that is what we will do, if they vote for us to organise boycotts, protests etc then that is the direction we will take. The Trust is there to serve its members wishes not the other way round.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Nick / BHSB - if the situation is that FL ratifies a move and SISU/Otium/Holdings/SBS&L etc confirm that it is going to happen however the fans feel about it then we will go back to the membership and ask how they wish the Trust to respond - if they vote for us to work with the club to make the best of a bad job then that is what we will do, if they vote for us to organise boycotts, protests etc then that is the direction we will take. The Trust is there to serve its members wishes not the other way round.

Will answer later got to go:wave:

Nick

Administrator
Jan - I totally understand that it has to be what the members want, is there no way when having the polls more information could be taken from the members rather than a "yes" or "no". It is a bit vague and if asking "do you want action to be taken?" it is a bit of a broad spectrum, it is like hiring a hitman for Sisu employees and then saying "but the members wanted action". Can it not be polled as to what sort of action?

I don't see why it has to be as clear cut as a yes or no with things like this.

NorthernWisdom

I appreciate it's a hard job, and I appreciate whatever you do you're bound to annoy some people some of the time and in trying to keep everybody happy you risk annoying everybody all of the time, it's the tyranny of democracy.

But isn't there a risk that members become exclusively focussed around the more militant fans, and the result of that is others feel disenfranchised and so don't join (or leave) anyway, so the Trust becomes a militant protest movement by virtue of it being a militant protest movement? In its aim to be inclusive and gain a bigger voice, shouldn't it look at a wider picture?

What I'm getting at is that even those who want boycotts arranged can still be served by having some organisation with the ability to talk to those in power, the two things don't have to be one or the other, and I'm not even sure that the Trust has to be the one organising those boycotts?

There are ways around that in the rhetoric to allow the Trust to have its voice with the club, the Trust can point people in the direction of organised boycotts as an information service without being the driver behind them, and the result would probably be the same in terms of people taking up the option... except the Trust shows itself to be more inclusive of more voices both within itself, and in its aim of speaking to the club. I understand it's a difficult balancing act to serve the needs of both majority and minority, but I think it can be done. I also think speaking to the club can indirectly serve the needs of the majority too.

Just my view, of course.

ashbyjan

Comments noted and to be honest when even when we have done the yes no polls we still get a lot of accompanying comments that are all read and taken on board. I also note your comments earlier about the use of open polls etc - happy with that if we could ensure that it was only members (or as much as is technically possible) who could vote. Personally I do not know how secure you can make Facebook or other open polls but happy to be educated in the modern ways of this technological age we live in. I am sure that last owl i send with a message still hasn't reached FL HQ!!

Nick

Administrator
Comments noted and to be honest when even when we have done the yes no polls we still get a lot of accompanying comments that are all read and taken on board. I also note your comments earlier about the use of open polls etc - happy with that if we could ensure that it was only members (or as much as is technically possible) who could vote. Personally I do not know how secure you can make Facebook or other open polls but happy to be educated in the modern ways of this technological age we live in. I am sure that last owl i send with a message still hasn't reached FL HQ!!

Then you just make it a members only poll on your website so that the Trust members have to login to actually see it and can only vote once. Sort of like they work on here as you have to be a member to be able to post on a poll.

ashbyjan

NW - I fully appreciate what you are saying - its often the silent that are the majority whilst the most vocal grab the limelight but don't necessarily represent the views of the majority. That is why I said we would go back to the membership and ask how we should respond if the situation becomes a fait accomplis. It doesn't have to be yes or no but there can be degrees in between - what the Trust has always attempted to do is provide a unified approach to issues as this whole farce has proved totally devisive among the supporters. I believe that for the vast majority (not just Trust members) its simply about watching Cov play in Cov - not bothered about whether ownership is SISU, PH4 or whoever or even ownership of the ground is with CCC/ACL/SISU etc just that we have a reasonably competitive team turning out on a Saturday.

NorthernWisdom

NW - I fully appreciate what you are saying - its often the silent that are the majority whilst the most vocal grab the limelight but don't necessarily represent the views of the majority. That is why I said we would go back to the membership and ask how we should respond if the situation becomes a fait accomplis.

But, my point isn't just about simply asking members, as those members can sometimes create a self-fulfilling prophecy about what type of fan thinks the trust is for them. I am actually in the Trust, and frankly I'm there as much because I've always appreciated your open minded take on things and desire to include as much as anything else, but I haven't been seeing that much recently in the mails I've been getting. Thing is, how long do I stay in an organisation just so my voice is there, even if it seems to be totally against what I see the Trust becoming? But then if I leave, others who think similar to me become a greater minority, so how long do they stay, and so on? And then, if people do leave (and others with a more militant view are attracted to join because the stance now chimes with them more) then following the membership ends up endorsing that. I'm not saying you shouldn't follow the membership in this, that would be stupid, but just pointing out it's rather more complicated than simply asking for the majority view on everything.

what the Trust has always attempted to do is provide a unified approach to issues as this whole farce has proved totally devisive among the supporters.

And yes, this is appreciated, and is the another reason why I joined. Somebody has to try and speak for us, we might all have different views, but nobody is going to listen to me, by myself, and why should they?

ashbyjan

NW - I appreciate what you are saying and all I would recommend is that if you feel we should keep negotiating/communicating with the club then you have to make that view known and not allow those who's views you disagree with to "shout you down". Even on the board we sometimes have differences of opinion about what we should be doing - if we all agreed about everything it would be very boring! - but we take a vote and go with the majority. As you said that's the curse with democracy. As a Trust we can only do what our membership indicates it wants to do - we do not represent all fans just our members and can only go with what they say and not try second guessing them or forcing our opinions on them. It is a fine balancing act which we try to get right as much as possible.

Nick

Administrator
The only thing is that it comes across that you have to go to the pub or to a protest to get your point heard, there are probably 95% of the members of the trust who can't or don't want to go to things like that but still want to have a say.
/?
If it isn't possible on the Trust site, I'd be happy to add a Trust section on here for discussions that is view able for Trust members only to help with communication?

Users who are viewing this thread