Long throws (1 Viewer)

SBT

So it appears we have two regular starters who are capable of them now. Robins doesn’t seem that interested in using them, and it doesn’t seem consistent with the rest of our playing style. But should we just use them anyway?

PVA

It's certainly worth using from time to time.

But Sunderland won the header every time we tried it didn't they?

CovLis86

Didn't we use it twice, and one Thomas got a touch and hit the post / keeper saved front post. The other was headed out and we had a blocked shot I think?

It's ugly, but it's a nightmare for any team to deal with. If we are leading no, go possession. Draw or behind, absolutely use it.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

It's new to our game, so it's going to take time to organise position ect.

If we need a goal and it's the last kick of the game and we get a throw in near the penalty area we would be silly not to use it.

pusbccfc

First one clearly caused problems for Sunderland.

People will say how many goals are scored from them but how many goals are scored from corners?

CovLis86

First one clearly caused problems for Sunderland.

People will say how many goals are scored from them but how many goals are scored from corners?
One Reddit user analysed 115,199 corners taken in 11,234 matches to see how much use they were. From those, 1,459 goals were from a corner. This meant an average of 4.74 per cent of goals were scored in some way or another from corners, but just 1.27% of corners led directly to a goal.

pusbccfc

One Reddit user analysed 115,199 corners taken in 11,234 matches to see how much use they were. From those, 1,459 goals were from a corner. This meant an average of 4.74 per cent of goals were scored in some way or another from corners, but just 1.27% of corners led directly to a goal.

Would love to see the comparison between this and a long throw.

Always felt like throws cause more issues because they can come from different positions on the touchline.

CovLis86

Obviously a unique case, but it goes back to teams rather hit it out for a corner than let Delap take a long throw was it? The angle / trajectory is harder to deal with as a defensive unit.

Hobo

There is a time and a place for it. But if you become over reliant on it, it is just another form of hoof ball.

Astute

If we're going to use the long throw we need to get our tall players in the box. They create panic and pull defenders out of place. It's the luck of the draw on where the ball drops after a clearance as well as the chances you get.

Finham

If we're going to use the long throw we need to get our tall players in the box. They create panic and pull defenders out of place. It's the luck of the draw on where the ball drops after a clearance as well as the chances you get.
Problem being of course the new ruling is tantamount to "you get free fouls when defending set pieces".

SBT

Do we have the big nasty bastards required to make the most of them? Or do you not really need them?

Personally I think it’s a bit anti-football, and I don’t see how it fits in with a short passing play-from-the-back mentality, but maybe I’m just being pretentious and you should just do it if it gets results.

SBAndy

Do we have the big nasty bastards required to make the most of them? Or do you not really need them?

Personally I think it’s a bit anti-football, and I don’t see how it fits in with a short passing play-from-the-back mentality, but maybe I’m just being pretentious and you should just do it if it gets results.

It’s variety. Quite often really useful to have the option but take a short throw in - you’ve bought more space to play in.

Grendel

We get so few crosses into the box from the wide areas down the by line it is at least an option we could use. He got more in that way than with his feet

Mucca Mad Boys

We were the most direct team in the league last season…

Bad Boy

It’s so so so ugly to watch and I’ve slated every team that’s come to us and done it , so it’s a massive no from me
It is ugly B-F but sometimes you have to play to your strengths. There are times when you can't always play beautiful football and a long throw can relieve the pressure. Provided it's used sparingly but effectively I can go with it.

Mcbean

a couple of years ago any Coventry throw went back to the our opposition , it was only when O Hare started to run away and the ball thrown for him to run onto that we got advantage from our throws- so i am all for it not every time but it can be an effective weapon against us so why not

Users who are viewing this thread