Long throws (1 Viewer)

SleepyGinger

We scored a couple from McCallum long throws didn’t we? Seem to remember Biamou against Stoke

Sky_Blue_Daz

Last minute of injury time we had the perfect opportunity to fill the box and launch a long throw but frustratingly we played the ball across the defence

Last edited:

SkyblueTexan

If I recall, we scored as a result of some long throws by McCallum during the first season back in the Championship. I don't see any harm in using it as a weapon if it means we can nick a goal. Doesn't always have to be beautiful does it?

Tomh111

I don't think they're that effective, I actually think the benefit is in the threat of them.

Fill the box and drop a short throw to a player, they should have space and only 1 or 2 defenders covering.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I say make use of the ability to take them (but not constantly). Our use of throw-ins have been abysmal for seasons now so i doubt this could make that situation any worse.

pusbccfc

If I recall, we scored as a result of some long throws by McCallum during the first season back in the Championship. I don't see any harm in using it as a weapon if it means we can nick a goal. Doesn't always have to be beautiful does it?

We did and then Robins decided not to use it again

Alkhen

Time and place for it, wouldn't want it to become our go to. Like corners I have a feeling that the stats would show they aren't that big a deal. But if we are chasing result then it's useful to have, last 5-10 mins when the game is stretched they could add an element of chaos

letsallsingtogether

It's new to our game, so it's going to take time to organise position ect.

If we need a goal and it's the last kick of the game and we get a throw in near the penalty area we would be silly not to use it.
Nar some would rather we throw it back to our goalkeeper, just incase a defender heads it out.

Skybluedownunder

In my personal opinion, a long throw can be more effective than a corner.
Being a long thrower myself, you always know there’s such an accuracy with a long throw and can often take an opposition by surprise if your team know you have that weapon behind you and can ‘sometimes’ take a team off guard by under estimating it.
Plus with a corner your accuracy might not be as good or you overhit/underhit it like Eccles poor corners the other week. Plus you have everyone in the box with a corner so more chance of it being cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBT

If I recall, we scored as a result of some long throws by McCallum during the first season back in the Championship.
There was a time in that season when it seemed like McCallum’s long throws were the only way we looked able to create chances.

junglej13

We need more goals from all over the team. The three centre backs need to contribute. Our centre backs don't score anywhere near enough. The odd long throw might help this.

shmmeee

We’ve got two six foot three strikers you’d hope we can score a few without the CBs TBH

Johhny Blue

In my personal opinion, a long throw can be more effective than a corner.
Being a long thrower myself, you always know there’s such an accuracy with a long throw and can often take an opposition by surprise if your team know you have that weapon behind you and can ‘sometimes’ take a team off guard by under estimating it.
Plus with a corner your accuracy might not be as good or you overhit/underhit it like Eccles poor corners the other week. Plus you have everyone in the box with a corner so more chance of it being cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As another long thrower in my distant pass we utilized it occasionally from half way to beat a pushed up defence

slowpoke

It’s a great weapon to have, and having two players who can do it what an asset that is, it can push defences back as far as you want it to with holding & grappling being stamped on its a real headache for the opposition.

skyblu3sk

Another angle is just having it as a weapon could make some defenders think twice of playing the ball out for safety if they know its basically the same as giving a corner. Could mean they take more risk.

clint van damme

Another angle is just having it as a weapon could make some defenders think twice of playing the ball out for safety if they know its basically the same as giving a corner. Could mean they take more risk.

Saw a video the other day from years ago where a keeper came out of his area to clear and put the ball out for a corner rather than a throw because the opposition had Rory Delap.

Boicey

We are a fairly predictable team. I’d use it just to disrupt and shake things up.
And if you make it a showpiece the fans will be totally up for it. Getting the fans woken up and chanting is a good plus.

Old Warwickshire lad

Interesting to hear what Oggy said. He basically said throws were harder to defend against than corners.
The reason he gave was that corners were on a lower trajectory and greater pace,therefore easier to head clear of the penalty area.

shmmeee

Interesting to hear what Oggy said. He basically said throws were harder to defend against than corners.
The reason he gave was that corners were on a lower trajectory and greater pace,therefore easier to head clear of the penalty area.

Does this mean my hatred of floated corners is actually completely wrong?

shmmeee

Not throw related but MvE related. Saw him and Eccles were the only players to have more than one successful tackle for us yesterday with 4 and 7 respectively.

Brylowes

Wouldn’t want to see it as our automatic go to tactic for throw-ins in the final third, I really don’t think they’re that difficult to defend against, they have time to organise and set up against it, everyone pretty much knows where the ball is coming down before it’s taken and the ball tends to spend a good time airborne.
having said all that I think it’s something that could be used sparingly ‘mix it up’

Legia Sky Blue

My main issue with it is that it just takes fucking ages to set up for them.

Agreed on that. Must have a better chance of scoring if you don't allow the opposition time to organise their defensive set up against it. I suppose the counter argument is that the attacking team also need time to send their centre backs up, and organise defensively against a possible counter attack.

The extra time taken also kills the momentum a little if you have the opposition on the ropes. Over the last few years Birmingham have used the tactics for mostly negative reasons of making the game an ugly stop start affair primarily aimed at stifling the opposition, rather than having any positive intent.

The tactic does have its place I guess, but I would rather we mixed things up than use the tactic every time we get a throw in the opposition's half.

oscillatewildly

No need for any pretentious Italian labelling - Against Sunderland it was the 'Hoy Ploy'.
Not sure how it's gonna be described against Watford though.

Bad Boy

My main issue with it is that it just takes fucking ages to set up for them.
In a similar way to free kicks in and around the box and corners can take an eternity.

It all boils down to time wasting again and cheating the paying public of a full 90 minutes of football whilst managers up and down the country are bellyaching about the amount of added time and are so thick to realise that they and their staff have coached this culture into the game.

SBT

So you do it against teams where you have a height advantage and the set up time becomes less important.
It’s more that I’d generally prefer to watch 30 seconds of us actually playing football, rather than 30 seconds of Bobby Thomas wiping down the ball with a towel.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

One Reddit user analysed 115,199 corners taken in 11,234 matches to see how much use they were. From those, 1,459 goals were from a corner. This meant an average of 4.74 per cent of goals were scored in some way or another from corners, but just 1.27% of corners led directly to a goal.
I can't remember if it's in Inverting the Pyramid or another book, I will try and dig the stat out, but someone did an analysis across Europe's top 5 leagues over a few seasons and you are more likely to score from a goal kick than a corner. Getting really excited about corners tends to be a British football thing.

Users who are viewing this thread