Looking Ahead to the Summer (1 Viewer)

SBAndy

So, not looking to write the season off but thought it would be worthwhile casting an eye forward to the summer to think about what realistically we need to see to start building a proper squad. I’ve left out the U23 players so if any of them could step up that might prove handy, but by and large I doubt it.

GK: Moore, Wilson
CB: Hyam, Rose, Drysdale
RWB: Kane, Dabo, Dacosta
LWB: Bidwell
CM: Sheaf, Hamer, Kelly, Eccles
AM: O’Hare, Allen, Hilssner
ST: Gyokeres, Godden, Waghorn, Walker

Out of contract players I have as:

McFadzean
Pask
Shipley
Jones

We know that the squad is paper thin and unbalanced, so realistically what changes (or in some cases, renewals) would we need to see for real progress to be made?

There’s a glaring CB issue and whilst I’d hope Fadz and Hyam would be in a position to renew, we’re probably looking at a wage increase for Hyam at least. To add to that, there’s players like Kelly and Walker who I feel just aren’t going to work if we keep moving forwards.

Thoughts?

Edit: moved Hyam to core squad and added Eccles.

Last edited:

CovBrummie94

We need a CB, LWB, CM and AM.

McFadz and Hyam to extend (if he hasn't already)

Da Costa, Hilssner, Shipley, Walker, Pask all out the door. I'd give Jones another year as we've invested so much time into his recovery we need to give him time to prove his worth and maybe Kelly as club captain, but football is ruthless so wouldn't surprised to see him go.

SlowerThanPlatt

Da Costa, Hilssner, Shipley, Walker, Pask all out the door. I'd give Jones another year as we've invested so much time into his recovery we need to give him time to prove his worth and maybe Kelly as club captain but football is ruthless so wouldn't surprised to see him go.

He’s been fit all season and the manager hasn’t used him. Not sure another contract can be justified atm

SlowerThanPlatt

I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave in the summer but wouldn't be against keeping him around as he's probably on a cheap wage

Agreed keeping him during his rehab but this season he’s fit and played 58 minutes in the league - which is the lowest of our senior players by some way. Da Costa managed 109!

SSB

If our budget remains the same Robins in theory should have a bit of room to manoeuvre this summer.

Mason, Jobello, Bright, Kastaneer are all already out the door, Pask's contract is set to end and hopefully Shipley, Kelly, Walker, Dacosta, Hilssner and any unwanted U23 players will be moved on.

Certainly gives us the scope to bring in 5-6 players. Need to replace Maatsen and JCS as well although hopefully we'll sign the latter permanently.

Hoping for:
2x CB (one of which being JCS),
1x LWB,
1x CM,
1x CAM,
1x ST.
*Potentially 2x CM if Hamer leaves.

SleepyGinger

Assuming Fadz extends for a year which I think is in the best interest of everyone we have a good starting 11 going into next season just need some depth/options in areas.

SBAndy

Apologies, must have missed Hyam signing a new deal!

Was looking at players out of contract in the summer and think Marlon Pack could be a decent addition in the middle, almost taking up the Kelly role in the squad. Think Kelly’s race is run.

slowpoke

Da Costa, Hilssner, Shipley, Walker, Pask all out the door. I'd give Jones another year as we've invested so much time into his recovery we need to give him time to prove his worth and maybe Kelly as club captain, but football is ruthless so wouldn't surprised to see him go.
LEB ? What’s Bidwell then ?

Legia Sky Blue

Where is Eccles? Wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up in the back 3. Think he's played there in the under 23's, and would rather have him as an option there than Dabo.

SBAndy

Where is Eccles? Wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up in the back 3. Think he's played there in the under 23's, and would rather have him as an option there than Dabo.

Could have sworn I added him! Now in there.

I like the look of Eccles but see him very much as a CM.

Saddlebrains

For me

Pask Drysdale Shipley Walker Hillsner Dacosta out the door

In

Clarke-Salter
LWB to compete with Bidwell
CB - A fadz replacement as surely he cannot manage every game next year? Ostigard or someone of the like
CM - Cant rely on Hamer Sheaf to be available every game and can see Kelly going
CAM - self explanatory
ST - For me one with main asset being pace

We have strength in Gyok
Experience in Waghorn
Top end finisher in Godden. We lack an armstrong style rapid little c**t

Get them 5 positions covered with Championship quality and its easy play offs for me

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A lot will depend on who we can get out of the door. Dacosta, Kelly, Walker and Drysdale are still under contract so if we could do some business there it would open up opportunities to bring others in.

LCB - JCS. Funded in part by losing the wages of Pask and maybe McGrath

CB - If a young CB became available (Osti being the obvious one) but we couldn't afford to renew Fadz to get them, I'd take the risk. Rose can step in as well.

LWB - if Reid isn't ready to step up we need another. May end up being a loan yet again, using Shipley's wages to cover it.

AM - Goes without saying really. I'd still really like to see Jones play a bit more in that position between now and the end of the season to see where he's at and decide whether to persevere, but it has to be a big priority that we're prepared to pay a decent-ish fee and wages to get. Twine would still be great but think he might be out of our reach now.

Other positions

CM - I think Eccles will step up to replace Kelly.

ST - If someone would take on Walker we could look at other options. I think Waghorn will be with us for his entire term and we need to be aware Godden is in his 30's now and will need a successor sooner or later.

If upgrades in other positions were available though, we'd have to look. I also think we'll end up losing one of the bigger names in the summer (most likely Hamer) and will need someone else in there.

I think the biggest obstacle will be the wage budget restricting who we can afford on lower-end Championship wages.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

ST - For me one with main asset being pace

We have strength in Gyok
Experience in Waghorn
Top end finisher in Godden. We lack an armstrong style rapid little c**t

Get them 5 positions covered with Championship quality and its easy play offs for me

Tavares...?

giphy.gif

long way home

Most interesting for me come summer is to see which of the younger players is going to be push on or pushed out.

Eccles will be in most of not every squad if fit.

Last edited:

higgs

What's the keeper situation like anyone to challenge Wilson for number 2

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

slowpoke

Most interesting for me come summer is to see which of the younger players is going to be push on or pushed out.
I’d think Bapaga and Howley will come into the first team squad more, Howley only 18 so maybe a year early but has been on our bench already.
As for the rest too early to speculate
Always need better players in any position hopefully Eccles will develop certainly looks the part, try and keep JCS and need a better quality centre-half and should Walker go another striker with pace, we have Taveres need to give him some game time before season ends so jury out on him.

SlowerThanPlatt

I’d think Bapaga and Howley will come into the first team squad more, Howley only 18 so maybe a year early but has been on our bench already.
As for the rest too early to speculate
Always need better players in any position hopefully Eccles will develop certainly looks the part, try and keep JCS and need a better quality centre-half and should Walker go another striker with pace, we have Taveres need to give him some game time before season ends so jury out on him.
Is Isaac Moore staying do you know?

shmmeee

It’s times like this I don’t understand why we have Kelly two years. He’s going to be third choice DM behind Sheaf and Eccles and maybe even behind Howley if he progresses.

slowpoke

It’s times like this I don’t understand why we have Kelly two years. He’s going to be third choice DM behind Sheaf and Eccles and maybe even behind Howley if he progresses.
Kelly might be in his swan song here now but at the moment still an asset
never lets us down

Reactions: vow

shmmeee

Kelly might be in his swan song here now but at the moment still an asset
never lets us down

We can’t afford to keep players on for sentiment. If we cant even have two per position it’s him or Eccles. We need his wages freed up for more important positions.

Same deal with Jones, Shipley, and Allen TBH. Would be lovely to keep players on but we’re in a situation where we can’t carry any deadwood at all so they’re going to have to go if the squad is to progress.

Terry Gibson's perm

There are some in the under 23’s that seem to be regulars but never seem to make it up to the first team who must be thinking it’s not going to happen here like Ngandu 20 years old and hasn’t played a league game, it’s no good for us and no good for the player.

stupot07

Looking towards next season i think its almost certain we will lose at least 1 and potentially all 3 of Gyokeres, Hamer and O'Hare in the summer. That means we will be replacing not building on our better players.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

We can’t afford to keep players on for sentiment. If we cant even have two per position it’s him or Eccles. We need his wages freed up for more important positions.

Same deal with Jones, Shipley, and Allen TBH. Would be lovely to keep players on but we’re in a situation where we can’t carry any deadwood at all so they’re going to have to go if the squad is to progress.
Allen?!

Users who are viewing this thread