Looking Ahead to the Summer (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Yeah. Id like to see an AM and a CM come in to provide cover and challenge for O’Hare and Hamer (and options for formations), so no room for him.

He’s not quite effective enough in either position for me.

shmmeee

My squad would be:

Moore/Wilson
Hyam/Rose
CB/Fadz
JCS/[Bidwell]
Kane/Dabo
Bidwell/LWB
Hamer/CM
Sheaf/Eccles
O’Hare/AM
Györkeres/ST
Godden/Waghorn

Should be roughly the same wage bill as we have now.

Out: Drysdale, Pask, Hilßner, JCS, Maatsen, Jones, Kelly, Allen, Shipley, Walker, Dacosta

In: JCS, CB, LWB, CM, AM, ST

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

Yeah. Id like to see an AM and a CM come in to provide cover and challenge for O’Hare and Hamer (and options for formations), so no room for him.

He’s not quite effective enough in either position for me.
Well, that surprises me as I think he’s been fantastic at times this season. More than held his own at this level.
I understand Jones and Shipley more, although I’d be tempted to keep both, given their versatility…and that I’m sentimental about Jones.
Sadly, I think Kelly will need to go at the end of the year.

shmmeee

Well, that surprises me as I think he’s been fantastic at times this season. More than held his own at this level.
I understand Jones and Shipley more, although I’d be tempted to keep both, given their versatility…and that I’m sentimental about Jones.
Sadly, I think Kelly will need to go at the end of the year.

In an ideal world id keep Allen (and Shipley and Jones) but clearly we need to run as lean a ship as possible.

Colin Steins Smile

The strategy for the club is incremental improvements of the first team squad. The obvious areas to be addressed imo are:

Left sided CB - JCS could be the option, but that would depend on wages.
Fadz - extend for one more year
CB - recruit Fadz replacement
LWB - add to Bidwell
RWB - I wouldn't be surprised to see Dabo sold this summer, given his injury record. If so, a replacement is needed.
CM - Depends on whether Hamer & Kelly are both here. If Hamer goes, we will need a creative midfielder. I expect Eccles to be a permanent member of the match day squad.
AM - add to O'Hare
Forward - assuming Walker leaves there is a place to fill. I'm not sure if any of the younger players are ready yet.

So it could be 7 player coming in and possibly Shipley, Dabo, Hamer, Kelly, Walker leaving. [I'm assuming that the likes of Da Costa, etc do not return]

SSB

Can’t see robins getting much of a budget in the summer either tbh,

Depends on how successful him and the backroom staff are at moving players on permanently.

We started the season with Kastaneer, Jobello, Mason and Bright on the books - all of which have now gone. JCS hopefully will just come back and there's a spot to fill with Maatsen returning to Chelsea.

Pask's contract will expire and hopefully we'll be able to move on Shipley, Dacosta, Hilssner, Walker and Kelly permanently.

We'll still have one of the smallest budgets in the league but if he manages to move on most of the latter five then he should have room to do a bit of business.

rob9872

I think Shipley Allen and Kelly are decent back ups for LWB, DCM and AM. We'll likely pay more to get improvements on those places who aren't first choice. All can fill in and I'd spend in other areas. It's more whether they want to go to get mire game time. Similar with Wilson, Eccles and either Dabo or Kane.

I think we need JCS on a perm plus possibly one more central defender. I'd like an alternate to OHare and another striker if we can move Walker on. Ideally 2 for every position.

Sick Boy

Looking towards next season i think its almost certain we will lose at least 1 and potentially all 3 of Gyokeres, Hamer and O'Hare in the summer. That means we will be replacing not building on our better players.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
There’s likely to be interest in Sheaf at this rate - he’s the better prospect compared to Hamer.

SSB

I think Shipley Allen and Kelly are decent back ups for LWB, DCM and AM. We'll likely pay more to get improvements on those places who aren't first choice. All can fill in and I'd spend in other areas. It's more whether they want to go to get mire game time. Similar with Wilson, Eccles and either Dabo or Kane.

I think we need JCS on a perm plus possibly one more central defender. I'd like an alternate to OHare and another striker if we can move Walker on. Ideally 2 for every position.

There's zero point in keeping Kelly or Shipley. They've barely played this season and are unlikely to play much of a role next season either.

It works out for both parties if they're moved on.

larry_david

I love Kelly but I can see we're now at our part of the journey where he is struggling to be effective. This is no slight at him. he's getting older, we're moving up, it happens and there is absolutely no disgrace in it.

I'm a bit disappointed MR has fallen for the 1.5 games Shipley was half decent. For 18 months now he's not been good enough and the last 6 months has hasn't featured at all. When the going got tough, MR would rather make no sub than bring him on and because he's scored a worldie half volley and put in a half decent performance against Peterborough he's now been kept in the squad for the rest of the season and to be quite honest, if we are intent on brutally moving on and up to our next step, he should not be part of the journey.

For me, he's now had 2 starts in his 'favoured' position and gone back to being pretty anonymous. I may be being harsh

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think Shipley Allen and Kelly are decent back ups for LWB, DCM and AM.

The thing with Kelly is that Eccles is up and coming and likely to be his replacement. Is it worth spending limited funds on Kelly's wages and stopping Eccles getting first team minutes, or letting him go to strengthen elsewhere and give Eccles more time?

Allen has performed well thus far and is a decent squad member, but at the same time he's neither a CM or an AM. He's OK at both. I wouldn't specifically be looking to move him on unless a potential upgrade was ready to happen.

I think everyone was pleasantly surprised at how well Shipley performed at LWB, but would we really be comfortable having him as the immediate back-up? It's another where I'd prefer someone who was a 'proper' LWB. He's out of contract in the summer and the only way I can see him staying is if he features regularly between now and the end of the season, puts in quite a few good performances in that time and doesn't ask for a wage increase.

Skyblueweeman

I can't see us losing O'Hare, Gyo or Hamer this summer personally. I think all 3 will be with us next season.

I'd also keep Shipley and Allen. They won't be automatic starters but we need a decent sized squad and both have proved on occasion this season, that they can be useful at times.

Legia Sky Blue

I can't see us losing O'Hare, Gyo or Hamer this summer personally. I think all 3 will be with us next season.

I'd also keep Shipley and Allen. They won't be automatic starters but we need a decent sized squad and both have proved on occasion this season, that they can be useful at times.

It depends if Hamer signs a new extended contract. If not I think we will look to sell him in the Summer.

Saddlebrains

lets be honest if we want to move forward

Release all those out of contract (bar fadz)

Look to move on Shipley, Kelly, Walker, Dacosta, Drysdale, Hillsner

were not far off a top 10 squad if we replace that with championship standard players

Clarke-Salter permanent
CB
LWB
CM
AM
ST

9/10 out

6 in.

The budget will surely be larger this season after the attendances, ST sales sky games etc.

No reason we cant get them 5 or 6 championship quality players i and make a proper tilt at the play offs

SlowerThanPlatt

lets be honest if we want to move forward

Release all those out of contract (bar fadz)

Look to move on Shipley, Kelly, Walker, Dacosta, Drysdale, Hillsner

were not far off a top 10 squad if we replace that with championship standard players

Clarke-Salter permanent
CB
LWB
CM
AM
ST

9/10 out

6 in.

The budget will surely be larger this season after the attendances, ST sales sky games etc.

No reason we cant get them 5 or 6 championship quality players i and make a proper tilt at the play offs
Expect for some unforeseen costs to crop up

larry_david

Interesting he mentions Bidwell now allows us to focus on recruiting an understudy...Is that Reid written off?
Also surely the long term for of Shipley is in another squad somewhere

long way home

I would of thought Reid, Cashman Taveres and Bapaga are in for a big summers. If they show enough desire and are at 1st team level they will get an opportunity. If not they will be sent out on loan or sold.

The list of u23s out of contract will mean the end at the club for most of them. Finnegan is the one that could get a chance to extend his stay as I heard they rate him highly.

Mcfazden, Jones and Shipley it's a coin toss if we can improve in those areas or promote from within with the likes of Howley. And use money saved by not renewing to bring in a better quality then that's what we be done.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Interesting he mentions Bidwell now allows us to focus on recruiting an understudy...Is that Reid written off?
Also surely the long term for of Shipley is in another squad somewhere

I think it’s fairly obvious Reid isn’t close considering we got down to Dabo and Shipley at LWB first.

If we can find a Maatsen/Dabo style young LWB we can bring on that would be perfect but I’d be OK with Shippers there for a season at least while we target other areas.

Grendel

fernandopartridge

I would guess they will go up a fair bit certainly for phase 1 customers
I wonder if that's the reason why they're going on sale even earlier, you might sell more while there is still a mathematical chance of making the play offs than later on if there isn't.

If the team doesn't make the play offs and ticket prices go up the number of ST sales I suspect will drop significantly.

Colin Steins Smile

I wonder if that's the reason why they're going on sale even earlier, you might sell more while there is still a mathematical chance of making the play offs than later on if there isn't.

If the team doesn't make the play offs and ticket prices go up the number of ST sales I suspect will drop significantly.
Where have you heard that ST's will be going on sale earlier?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I think we need
2x CB (hopefully 1 is JCS) I would like someone who can be the suitor to Fadz but under 30

1x LWB, freebie who could be a hidden gem

1x CM, someone who has a bit of leadership but wouldnt mind rotating with Sheaf and Hamer or a direct Hamer replacement if we sell

1x AM, creative and suitable to swap with O’hare (Jacob Ramsey, Kieren Dowell, Tarick Fosu, Marcus Harness or Ovie Ejaria would be nice)
1x ST, young quick loanee from prem (Dane Scarlett, Liam Delap or Nathan Tella would do nicely)

Users who are viewing this thread