Matchday #39: City vs Watford (Kick off @ 3pm, Ricoh Arena) (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

coventry-badge.gif
129098571425937500.gif

With all the off the pitch events regarding the Sky Blues over the last 2 weeks, it almost comes as a shock that - gasp - something is due to happen on the pitch.

Watford come to CV6 on Saturday, and face a team which has only won 1 of the last 18 games. Will the ‘new-era’ promised by the new board inspire the team to take all 3 points, or will we be talking about just 1 win in 19? And will the much-mentioned fan protests become a reality?

-------------------

From the BBC:

Watford are without defender Adrian Mariappa, who is suspended after being sent off against Middlesbrough.

Lloyd Doyley is still suffering with a knee injury and is a doubt, but Lee Hodson is fit after an ankle problem.

Coventry have former Watford striker Marlon King back from suspension, but continue to be troubled by injuries.

Richard Wood and Lee Carsley are among those out, while Martin Cranie (hamstring), Clive Platt (back) and Carl Baker (ankle) are all struggling.

-------------------

Watford have won on their last three visits to the Ricoh Arena, where they thrashed Coventry 4-0 last season. Another victory there would heap more misery on the Sky Blues, who are without a manager - and without a win in seven matches.

City sit only two places above the relegation zone after a disastrous run that has seen them win only one of their last 18 Championship games. And they have suffered seven home defeats this season against current top-half sides, which does not bode well for them as they prepare to face ninth-placed Watford.

Coventry have at least been boosted by both a recent cash injection that has staved off the threat of administration, and the timely return of Marlon King, who is set to return against his former club after a four-match suspension.

King scored 21 times for Watford as they won promotion via the play-offs in 2006. Now the Hornets have another prolific talisman in Danny Graham, whose 25 goals this season have helped keep them in the running for a return to the top flight.

-------------------

• This is the 80th competitive meeting of these clubs. Watford have won 38 and Coventry 27 of the previous 79.

• A goal for City would be their 100th in the league against Watford.

Coventry are the only team to have managed only one Championship win in 2011.

• A defeat would be the club's 1,400th loss in league football, while a point would be their 1,400th in the second tier.

The Sky Blues have gone 11 league matches without keeping a clean sheet.

Watford have lost only one of their last six matches.

• The Hornets have scored in each of their last 10 games, and have netted 33 away goals in the Championship this season - more than any other team.

• They have committed fewer fouls than any other club in the division (345).

• John Eustace, a former Coventry player, is set to make his 100th league start for Watford.

---------------------------

Online Matchday Coverage:

Sky Blue Talk Matchday Thread:
http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/8254-Matchday-39-City-vs-Watford-%28Kick-off-3pm-Ricoh-Arena%29

@CovCityFC_Live on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/CovCityFC_LIVE

Last edited by a moderator:

skybluewill

Be very suprised if we win would definatly take a draw right now 2-2 perhaps. There will be no serious protest It won't achieve anything even if there was.

Jimthor

I'm predicting a 2-1 or 3-1 to Watford. Hope i'm wrong but our defence does look awfully frail. I think King will get himself on the scoresheet, but i think we'll struggle to deal with Danny Graham.

I reckon we'll have a starting XI something like:
Westwood
Clarke Keogh Cameron Hussey
Clingan
Gunnar Bell
Jutkiewicz King McSheffrey

Although the Coventry Telegraph reckons we'll be playing in a slightly different formation- with Bell just behind a strike partnership of Freddy and King. I'm hoping we start with Juke ahead of Freddy though!

And i think we'll hardly see any sort of protests either. I bet the most we'll hear are a few anti-SISU shouts here and there.

The CableGuy

[Our bid to reach the play-offs] has to begin on Saturday at Coventry - and I know it will be nothing but tough for us.

Andy Thorn (City's caretaker manager) knows the set-up well, and there will be players not involved under Aidy (Boothroyd) now back in the fold, looking to stake a claim for the future.

Marlon (King) is back from suspension and I, for one, having played alongside him, know what a threat he offers with his ability. He won't be the only one we'll be keeping an eye on, of course, and we'll be fully prepared.
--Watford Manager Malky Mackay

Coventry La La La

Score: 2-2 (Marlon King x2)

Formation: 4-33

Westwood
Clarke, Keogh, Cameron, Hussey
Clingan
Baker, Gunnarson
Jutkiewicz, King, McSheffrey

The CableGuy

Watford have a good record at the Ricoh I believe so that’s something we have got to put right and get the best out of our players and, to be fair, the way the lads have trained this week we could have done with a game last night.

They score a lot of goals from set plays and that’s something we have worked on because I wasn’t happy with it in the first couple of games, but we have worked on all aspects of improving the team.

I have said to the boys that I expect attitude and commitment first and foremost and to earn the right to play. I told them that we will stick together and that I will dig out individuals in the dressing room if need be, but I will back them to the hilt to anyone else.

It is the first time I have been able to sit down with them properly and they are under no illusions now, what is expected of them.

The international break has given me and the coaching staff the opportunity to get across what is expected and what is needed. Everyone has got to pull in the same direction and show what they are made of if you like.

It is going to be all hands on deck. We will get going and looking forward to getting back to the Ricoh which can be our fortress if you like. We have to do our job on the pitch and hopefully give the whole club a lift.

--City Caretaker Manager Andy Thorn

Pigeon

Going to go with the same formation as LALALA because it kind of seems the only options available.
City to get a late win. 2-1 King and Jukebox
:blue:

TheRoyalScam

3th placed Coventry go into Saturday's game against play-off hopefuls Watford, looking for the 3 points that will guarantee them at least a play-off spot this season. There is still a mathematical chance of the City overtaking QPR to finish 2nd. CCFC will probably stick with the team that convincingly beat relegation-bound Preston 4-0 in their last match:

Westwood

Cranie Dann[c] Turner Fox

Henderson Cork Clingan McSheffrey

Carroll Jutkiewicz​

Subs: Ireland, Wood, Keogh, Hussey, Gunnarsson, Bell, Eastwood
:blue::blue::blue::blue::blue::blue:

edgy

Nice looking side TRS.... :claping hands:

High scoring game tomorrow. One for the Goals Galore coup at the bookies.

I think some people have the wrong idea about the "protest". It was only ever meant to be chants and banners...........

:blue::blue::blue:

bamalamafizzfazz

3th placed Coventry go into Saturday's game against play-off hopefuls Watford, looking for the 3 points that will guarantee them at least a play-off spot this season. There is still a mathematical chance of the City overtaking QPR to finish 2nd. CCFC will probably stick with the team that convincingly beat relegation-bound Preston 4-0 in their last match:

Westwood​

Cranie Dann[c] Turner Fox​

Henderson Cork Clingan McSheffrey​

Carroll Jutkiewicz​

Subs: Ireland, Wood, Keogh, Hussey, Gunnarsson, Bell, Eastwood

Leon Best injured? or maybe Daniel Sturridge?

Last edited:

Dan Griffin

City 2-1 Watford.
Juke '26, Graham '67, King '90.

Westwood
Clarke Keogh Cameron Hussey
Clingan
Bell Gunnarsson
Jutkiewicz King McSheffrey​

smileycov

Facebook User
Right, new dawn and all that.....Thorn to bring quality attacking, flowing football to the Ricoh.

3 - 1 City

Kng,Duke and Cameron

PUSB

flammablepiss

Facebook User
Gonna be a hard one today... Hopefully we'll get at least a point, though a draw is probably the most we can hope for.

Bagsy

Think after the few weeks we've had since the last game if we don't atleast show alot of fight today it could tip the majority over the edge, could be a very messy day today on and off the pitch. Saying that we'll probably win 3-0 play like barcelona and everyone will be delighted :laugh:

ccfcway

Craine back, that will help.

Defence WILL let at least one goal in, but with a front 3 of Sheff, King and Eastwoodm we have goals in us.

PUSB

Nick

Administrator
If we keep this up we wilm get a couple more!

We need to start shooting from range!

Users who are viewing this thread