Mobile Phones (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

On the radio this morning there was a phone-in on mobile phones and people who are addicted to them. One bloke said him and his missus conduct conversations and arguments by phone and in the same room ! One person said she couldn't live without her mobile,and another said at a recent large family meal everyone was sitting there on their phones, and someone posted it on social media. Anybody on here addicted too ?

bringbackrattles

Yep.

My daughter. Addicted, totally and utterly.

We went for a meal a while ago and pretty much all of the family opposite were on their phones during their meals.

We ban phones at mealtimes in our house.
When my son was living with me he couldn't understand why I turned my phone off before going to bed. I said why ? He said what if someone wanted me etc ? They'll leave a message if its important I replied.
He looked at me as if I'd commited a crime !

R

RB1992

If by addicted you mean carrying my phone with me at all times, like people do a wallet/purse, then yes, I am addicted.

If by addicted you mean I have my head buried in my phone for 18 hours a day, actively avoiding other social contact and turning into a crumbling mess should said phone be taken away, then no, I am not.

These surveys are quite misleading and fail to distinguish between the two types above. Thankfully, I think the vast majority of people fit into the former category. Having access to a decent smartphone at all times makes a hell of a lot of things infinitely easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

olderskyblue

Yep.

My daughter. Addicted, totally and utterly.

We went for a meal a while ago and pretty much all of the family opposite were on their phones during their meals.

We ban phones at mealtimes in our house.

You eat alone then Otis? ;)

bringbackrattles

If by addicted you mean carrying my phone with me at all times, like people do a wallet/purse, then yes, I am addicted.

If by addicted you mean I have my head buried in my phone for 18 hours a day, actively avoiding other social contact and turning into a crumbling mess should said phone be taken away, then no, I am not.

These surveys are quite misleading and fail to distinguish between the two types above. Thankfully, I think the vast majority of people fit into the former category. Having a decent smartphone makes a hell of a lot of things infinitely easier.
When I lost a mobile last year my sister got really irritated when I took a month to get a new one,as she likes to keep in touch by phone. She just couldn't understand why I never replaced it straight away. I like my phone but don't get anxious if its goes missing for a while.

Marty

Rarely use my phone other then at work. I find myself getting frustrated with people who are always on there phone if we go out.

Terry Gibson's perm

I went without a mobile for a few weeks earlier in the year missed it for about a day but after that it was lovely.

Nick

Administrator
I always worry about not having it, especially when out and about!

What if car breaks down etc.

Pipehitterz

I have mine glued to me, constantly taking messages regarding Work.
If I won the lottery or found a way of living without working, I think I'd get a cheap non data phone and have friends and family on it only.
One of My Daughters is addicted, she barely looks up from it, another of my daughters uses to binge watchepisodes so is on it.
Allows me to watch the Football and Sports when they're staying at my house so win win

Gazolba

My daughter sleeps with her phone. The first thing she does when she wakes up is check her phone. She also takes it into the bathroom with her.

Otis

My daughter sleeps with her phone. The first thing she does when she wakes up is check her phone. She also takes it into the bathroom with her.
I do not let mine take her phone upstairs.

The rule in our house is the phone has to be used downstairs only.

I also have a protection programme on there too, Qustodio, which allows me to restrict certain websites and apps and put time limits on stuff (1 hr a day on Instagram etc.).

She hates it, but it really works well and everyday I get a report detailing exactly what she has been on and how much time on each app and website.

Pipehitterz

I also have a protection programme on there too, Qustodio, which allows me to restrict certain websites and apps and put time limits on stuff (1 hr a day on Instagram etc.).

She hates it, but it really works well and everyday I get a report detailing exactly what she has been on and how much time on each app and website.
How old is she may I ask?
Sounds very very strict there fella, without knowing ages.
No offence to parenting by the way

Otis

How old is she may I ask?
Sounds very very strict there fella, without knowing ages.
No offence to parenting by the way

Her and her friends were once contacted by a paedophile on Instagram though. I am always on top of things, so I immediately identified him, reported him and deleted the messages before my daughter could see.

A few of her friends were not so lucky though and were subjected to disgusting pics and requests. Police now dealing with it.

Then, even though I am monitoring her, about 6 weeks ago she got men (in their 20's and 30's) sending her pictures of their erect penises along with highly sexual requests. :(

She's very naive and it's the friend of a friend of a friend syndrome. Guess she innocently wandered somewhere she shouldn't have wandered and next thing you know she gets disgusting stuff sent through.

That's the reason for the strictness. I have protected her from an awful lot that her friends have unfortunately not been protected from.

Otis

One of her other friends also claimed she had an online boyfriend. This was at age 11. I immediately dug a little and asked my daughter what she knew of him and through her asking this friend a number of questions at my request, I found out that he was from 'Canada' and loved ice hockey and the same bands as this girl.

They were talking everyday online, but I then also ascertained though that she didn't even know his name, how old he was and had never seen a photo of him.

I immediately told the mum and she deleted him from her contacts. Apparently this and been the second time she had done the same thing with the same 'boy' who may not have been just a boy at all and probably wasn't from Canada either.

Hear some right dodgy stuff my daughter's friends have been confronted with with. :(

These kids also do stuff and then delete it (my daughter included and that's why she is not allowed Snapchat), so I have to keep tabs unfortunately and that's a great shame, because I am a big believer in giving her freedoms and letting her grow up. :(

R

RB1992

You sound like a barrel of fun

Nick

Administrator
Mine is allowed to use her phone because she just plays games on it.

On the playstation she knows if she wants to add anybody as a friend she has to ask us and I have it set so I can check any PSN messages on my phone if I need to.

Not at the stage of social media yet, don't like the idea of her putting pictures of herself on the internet.

Always find it strange when people absolutely plaster the internet of pictures of their kids when it is completely public.

Otis

Mine is allowed to use her phone because she just plays games on it.

On the playstation she knows if she wants to add anybody as a friend she has to ask us and I have it set so I can check any PSN messages on my phone if I need to.

Not at the stage of social media yet, don't like the idea of her putting pictures of herself on the internet.

Always find it strange when people absolutely plaster the internet of pictures of their kids when it is completely public.
Other thing with my daughter is, that with her being 12 she is at that sneaky stage. They all are.

I go on Instagram in the background just to have a look at what's going on and observe and they are all being a little sneaky in terms of trying to get on things they are not allowed to go on, be it websites or apps.

Also seen a few 11 and 12 year old girls putting pics up on their accounts in sexy underwear, which is very worrying indeed.

smouch1975

Things we put on the Internet are public?
Fark. And things on here also?
Double fark...

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

chiefdave

Her and her friends were once contacted by a paedophile on Instagram though.

A few of her friends were not so lucky though and were subjected to disgusting pics and requests. Police now dealing with it.

Then, even though I am monitoring her, about 6 weeks ago she got men (in their 20's and 30's) sending her pictures of their erect penises along with highly sexual requests.
Bloody hell, when I hear things on the news about paedophiles in my mind its small groups sharing things among themselves trying to stay under the radar as much as possible or a weird loner on Facebook spending months grooming someone. This sounds like these filth are sending out as many messages as possible in the hope one of them gets a reply.

How the hell do you even contact someone on instagram and start sending that sort of thing. Surely people would be straight onto the police and it can't be that hard to trace. This doesn't sound like months being up trust with a fake persona, this sounds more like sending dodgy stuff from the off.

Scary stuff. Makes me glad I don't have kids.

Nick

Administrator
Don't know what I'd do, but I'd be leaning towards the come and meet me approach and then see what they do when it's not a young girl. Dump them outside the police station with a CD full of evidence!

All out hostel type torture

Otis

got 3 daughters adn 1 step daughter and honestly have never experienced any of the above
What ages?

All these girls around my daughter are making beauty accounts up on Instagram and the sole goal apparently is to get as many followers as possible. This then in turn leaves them a little desperate for followers and they probably take more risks putting themselves out there.

My daughter hasn't got a beauty account, but I know she goes scouring lots of others.

Could be paedophiles are running some of these beauty accounts pretending to be 12 and 13 year olds. That's just a guess though.

Otis

If I ask what a beauty account is will the answer make me despair for the countries future?
Yup!

They are all doing the same thing, showing make up tips and 'hauls' of stuff they have bought, mainly lip balms, but also PocketBacs. That's the latest thing.

I know my daughter has 50 lip balms and is moaning she can't compete with her friends, one of which has over 200 lip balms.

PocketBacs are scented antibacterial gels. One of my daughter's friend's got 50 of them for her birthday.

Yep, I know, madness.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
No bugger ever phones me so I doubt if I'd miss my phone, but I always carry it with me in case of emergencies. (Dicky ticker and all that!). I also have my missus and my home phone in my contacts as "ICE" after the name. Really helpful to emergency services. It stands for "In Case of Emergency". Any police officer or paramedic will look in your phone for a contact if you're involved in an accident (or in my case, collapse in the street), so it's good to know they would know which of my contacts they should be phoning. Let's face it, we all have loads of names in the contacts list, but which one should they call?

Otis

No bugger ever phones me so I doubt if I'd miss my phone, but I always carry it with me in case of emergencies. (Dicky ticker and all that!). I also have my missus and my home phone in my contacts as "ICE" after the name. Really helpful to emergency services. It stands for "In Case of Emergency". Any police officer or paramedic will look in your phone for a contact if you're involved in an accident (or in my case, collapse in the street), so it's good to know they would know which of my contacts they should be phoning. Let's face it, we all have loads of names in the contacts list, but which one should they call?
Funnily enough, I have my missus down as DCHSDGAS for the emergency services. That stands for 'Don't Call Her She Don't Give A Shit.'

Pipehitterz

What ages?

All these girls around my daughter are making beauty accounts up on Instagram and the sole goal apparently is to get as many followers as possible. This then in turn leaves them a little desperate for followers and they probably take more risks putting themselves out there.

My daughter hasn't got a beauty account, but I know she goes scouring lots of others.

Could be paedophiles are running some of these beauty accounts pretending to be 12 and 13 year olds. That's just a guess though.
13, 17 amd 27
Plus 14 step
I think they all 'know ' girls like you're mentioning, but my 3 are fiercely independent and will do what they wanna do at any given time, they're very individual, I bought them up with hard core savage sarcasm, so they have some thick skin
My Mrs Daughter is too but made the choice early on to be with the 'it ' girls at school so has more contact with that sort, but massively to her credit distances herself from the ones that think they're full on women. It's been a struggle but she's had the balls to tell them to do one, very proud of her. I'm also giving her life sarcasm lessons to toughen her up, but being as i've only really been I'm her life 5 years, she's just getting it now ( embarrassing when you reduce a young Girl to tears when you think you're being hilarious, whoops )
Some of ( all ) my daughters friends just want men, at any cost, it's heartbreaking the stories we hear from schools

Users who are viewing this thread