Most goals by of City player in first team match (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Blyth, Gillespie, Cross, Wallace, Powell, McDonald, Holton, Stein, Hutchison, Yorath, just some of his great signings off the top of my head.
Lloyd went on to win the European Cup twice with Forest so his pedigree was good. If you listen to what he said about his time at Coventry, he admits his attitude was shocking, deliberately booting the ball away during training games etc. He got his money back on Collier, Jones did in fact play a few games for the club while perhaps not reaching his potential.

Did he sign Hutchison and Stein? Surely thy were signed before he was manager? Collier I don’t believe we got the money back at all tbh and Jones played 12 games and was awful.

funny thing about this is Danny Thomas frantically liking posts when it’s clear he hasn’t a clue what we are talking about

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Did he sign Hutchison and Stein? Surely thy were signed before he was manager? Collier I don’t believe we got the money back at all tbh and Jones played 12 games and was awful.

funny thing about this is Danny Thomas frantically liking posts when it’s clear he hasn’t a clue what we are talking about

Gary Collier was signed from Bristol City under freedom of contract - the tribunal set the transfer fee at £325,000. Coventry sold to Portland Timers in early 1980 for £365,000 (this figure was widely reported in the press at the time) - so the Sky Blues actually made £40,000 on this transfer.

Dave Jones was a regular in an Everton side that finished 3rd in the top flight, so he can't have been an awful player. He moved here from his home town just before his 23rd birthday - there have been plenty of young people who have moved away from an area they have known all their life and haven't liked it. He also had competition for his place - Mick Coop (who was 31 at the start of the 1979-80 season) maintained his fitness far better than had been anticipated and Brian (Harry) Roberts performed better than expected. Dave experienced a serious knee injury while at Coventry.

Gordon Milne arrived at Coventry with Joe Mercer before the start of the 1972-3 season - Joe was the 'front man' and Gordon's job title was 'Team Manager' (again, this was widely reported in the press at the time). Hutchison and Stein were both signed in the period when Gordon was 'Team Manager' - so I think it is fair to imagine Gordon had a significant say in the decisions.

21 players turned out for Coventry in the 1978-79 season - 17 of them joined the club after Gordon Milne arrived and the other 4 (Coop, Dugdale, Ferguson and Green) were already here and Coventry was their first club. Amongst the 17 are Blyth, Sealey, McDonald, Oakey, Roberts, Yorath, Powell, Hutchison, Thompson and Wallace.

SkyBlueCharlie9

I scored 8 in a match for Cov Sporting under 13s once in a 24-0 victory 🤣 Beat that Cyrille, Gally, Qyinny, Nuddy, Dion, McNulty, Jones & Godden !

Grendel

Gary Collier was signed from Bristol City under freedom of contract - the tribunal set the transfer fee at £325,000. Coventry sold to Portland Timers in early 1980 for £365,000 (this figure was widely reported in the press at the time) - so the Sky Blues actually made £40,000 on this transfer.

Dave Jones was a regular in an Everton side that finished 3rd in the top flight, so he can't have been an awful player. He moved here from his home town just before his 23rd birthday - there have been plenty of young people who have moved away from an area they have known all their life and haven't liked it. He also had competition for his place - Mick Coop (who was 31 at the start of the 1979-80 season) maintained his fitness far better than had been anticipated and Brian (Harry) Roberts performed better than expected. Dave experienced a serious knee injury while at Coventry.

Gordon Milne arrived at Coventry with Joe Mercer before the start of the 1972-3 season - Joe was the 'front man' and Gordon's job title was 'Team Manager' (again, this was widely reported in the press at the time). Hutchison and Stein were both signed in the period when Gordon was 'Team Manager' - so I think it is fair to imagine Gordon had a significant say in the decisions.

21 players turned out for Coventry in the 1978-79 season - 17 of them joined the club after Gordon Milne arrived and the other 4 (Coop, Dugdale, Ferguson and Green) were already here and Coventry was their first club. Amongst the 17 are Blyth, Sealey, McDonald, Oakey, Roberts, Yorath, Powell, Hutchison, Thompson and Wallace.

We have no idea how much collier was sold for - lots of things are “reported” in the press.

Milne was not formally appointed as first team manager until 1974 you actually don’t know who signed the two players mentioned,

some of those 17 players were through the youth policy and not signed

Your comment on Jones being homesick is bizarre. He went to Hong Kong!

wantageskyblue

I remember Mick Ferguson scoring another couple, 1 in a 3-1 win at Wolves and the other in a 4-2 win against Man City where I think he scored all his goals in the last 9 minutes. Does anyone know who has the most hat-tricks for us, Ferguson can't be far off certainly in Div 1/PL?
I can’t be 100% sure but I think that Wolves match where Ferguson scored 3 was my first ever away game. We were in the old stand opposite the tunnel.

wantageskyblue

Poor Greggie Downs, he always cops flack...

As I recall, Paul Edwards made Greg Downs look like Marcelo.

Also, Downs wasn't the only left back we used in the 1987-8, 1988-90 seasons (he only played 27 and 20 league games in these seasons, Smith played 13 and 34).
Paul Edwards in my opinion, was one of the worst players I ever saw play for us in the top flight. IIRC he came with a reasonable reputation from Crewe but he always seemed to be a bag of nerves who treated the ball as if it was a hand grenade.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Paul Edwards in my opinion, was one of the worst players I ever saw play for us in the top flight. IIRC he came with a reasonable reputation from Crewe but he always seemed to be a bag of nerves who treated the ball as if it was a hand grenade.

I agree with you, he looked terrified and completely out of his depth. Funny thing is people never seem to remember him very well.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

We have no idea how much collier was sold for - lots of things are “reported” in the press.

Milne was not formally appointed as first team manager until 1974 you actually don’t know who signed the two players mentioned,

some of those 17 players were through the youth policy and not signed

Your comment on Jones being homesick is bizarre. He went to Hong Kong!

You're a joke. Grasping at straws as you seek to troll other posters.

A number of clubs were interested in signing Collier. It is clear we made money when we sold him. You were wrong... again... and too arrogant to admit it... again.

Gordon Milne was 'Team Manager' in 1972 and this is clearly something you are simply too arrogant to admit you didn't know. You want us to believe a 'Team Manager' at a 1970s football club the size of Coventry City wasn't involved in the signing of players? Ha, ha, ha!

The players I list all joined the club after Gordon Milne arrived and I specifically excluded the ones who were 'apprentices' before Gordon turned up from the list. Nice try at deflection though.

Jones wasn't 22 when he went to Hong Kong, he was older and more mature. He initially went to HK on loan having had a serious knee injury. A lot of players went to HK on loan and it and it was widely regarded as being a good time jaunt with not terribly serious football matches thrown in. Dave then signed permanently for Seiko and I would suggest this was because his knee injury meant he didn't have much choice if he still wanted to earn a living as a professional football player rather than as a worker in a children's home (which is a job he dud after his playing days). He did later play a season at Preston (old 3rd Division), but that knee injury he picked up with us saw him retired by the age of 28.

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

I agree with you, he looked terrified and completely out of his depth. Funny thing is people never seem to remember him very well.
I remember his debut and talking to my dad about how good it was we’d finally replaced Downes (loved him but he wasn’t the best). After about 10 mins it was fairly clear the search for a decent left back would have to continue.

Grendel

You're a joke. Grasping at straws as you seek to troll other posters.

A number of clubs were interested in signing Collier. It is clear we made money when we sold him. You were wrong... again... and too arrogant to admit it... again.

Gordon Milne was 'Team Manager' in 1972 and this is clearly something you are simply too arrogant to admit you didn't know. You want us to believe a 'Team Manager' at a 1970s football club the size of Coventry City wasn't involved in the signing of players? Ha, ha, ha!

The players I list all joined the club after Gordon Milne arrived and I specifically excluded the ones who were 'apprentices' before Gordon turned up from the list. Nice try at deflection though.

Jones wasn't 22 when he went to Hong Kong, he was older and more mature. He initially went to HK on loan having had a serious knee injury. A lot of players went to HK on loan and it and it was widely regarded as being a good time jaunt with not terribly serious football matches thrown in. Dave then signed permanently for Seiko and I would suggest this was because his knee injury meant he didn't have much choice if he still wanted to earn a living as a professional football player rather than as a worker in a children's home (which is a job he dud after his playing days). He did later play a season at Preston (old 3rd Division), but that knee injury he picked up with us saw him retired by the age of 28.

All you seem to have at your disposal is Wikipedia - you clearly have zero knowledge of the players certainly Jones who was an awful signing. You make random statements about being homesick (which you’ve made up)

You then go off on some bizarre tangent and mention 17 signings from a manager who’d already been at the club for 5 years and some of them aren’t even signings but are players who came through the system.

Grendel

You’ll be talking about Martin Singleton again soon

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

All you seem to have at your disposal is Wikipedia - you clearly have zero knowledge of the players certainly Jones who was an awful signing. You make random statements about being homesick (which you’ve made up)

You then go off on some bizarre tangent and mention 17 signings from a manager who’d already been at the club for 5 years and some of them aren’t even signings but are players who came through the system.

I'm relying on having supported the club and been a season ticket holder for decades. I am also relying in my acquaintance with now former playing staff and club officials. You, on the other hand, appear to rely upon just making up bollocks and hoping nobody challenges it.

I remember Dave Jones and he wasn't awful. Milne put together a squad of players and there was competition for places - Dave Jones lost his place to the previous incumbent and then picked up a serious injury.

You suggested certain players arrived before Gordon Milne - you were wrong and I demonstrated just how wrong.

Martin Singleton played in the top flight of English football, have you?

Now bore off, you troll.

Grendel

I'm relying on having supported the club and been a season ticket holder for decades. I am also relying in my acquaintance with now former playing staff and club officials. You, on the other hand, appear to rely upon just making up bollocks and hoping nobody challenges it.

I remember Dave Jones and he wasn't awful. Milne put together a squad of players and there was competition for places - Dave Jones lost his place to the previous incumbent and then picked up a serious injury.

You suggested certain players arrived before Gordon Milne - you were wrong and I demonstrated just how wrong.

Martin Singleton played in the top flight of English football, have you?

Now bore off, you troll.

Graham Oakey joined in 1971 having already trained as a schoolboy - it’s also a stupid argument to quote a season 5 years into a managers reign and say he signed most of the players (he won’t have done as the youth set up applied in some cases) and yes Jones was rubbish. I do remember a spectacular goal he scored from outside the penalty area though.

Milne record also is very similar in terms of wins points etc to Dave Sexton isn’t it?

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Graham Oakey joined in 1971 having already trained as a schoolboy - it’s also a stupid argument to quote a season 5 years into a managers reign and say he signed most of the players (he won’t have done as the youth set up applied in some cases) and yes Jones was rubbish. I do remember a spectacular goal he scored from outside the penalty area though.

Milne record also is very similar in terms of wins points etc to Dave Sexton isn’t it?

Who was Team Manager when Stein and Hutchison were signed

Now bore off and stop trying to pretend you're smart.

Grendel

Grendel

Oh... and Oakey signed his first contract with Coventry after Milne arrived.

He was already an apprentice having trained at the club since he was 14

great try and more deflection

hopesprings

Id be fascinated on your views O Drivel but sadly this is a discussion on football in the 70’s not the Birmingham Pub bombings
And there was me just trying to think of goalscorers for City....now it is a discussion on football in the 70's :). Well if that is the case what about that decision to take Bobby Charlton off against Germany in 1970..Alf Ramsey how shit a manager was he !?

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

And there was me just trying to think of goalscorers for City....now it is a discussion on football in the 70's :). Well if that is the case what about that decision to take Bobby Charlton off against Germany in 1970..Alf Ramsey how shit a manager was he !?

Keep thinking of those goal scorers.

As for the swerve off-topic, it seems there is always a lurking twat who wants an argument and to suck the fun out of everything.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

He was already an apprentice having trained at the club since he was 14

great try and more deflection

Oh dear, grasping at straws again.

In the 1960s, what age did someone gave to be contracted to a football club (even with parental consent)?

How many apprentices made it as professional players?

When did Oakey sign his first professional contract with the club?

Grendel

Oh dear, grasping at straws again.

In the 1960s, what age did someone gave to be contracted to a football club (even with parental consent)?

How many apprentices made it as professional players?

When did Oakey sign his first professional contract with the club?
Sigh
he was at the club at 16 in next weeks shock revelation Milne was responsible for the signing of Dion Dublin as he saw him on a holiday in turkey

ovduk78

I can’t be 100% sure but I think that Wolves match where Ferguson scored 3 was my first ever away game. We were in the old stand opposite the tunnel.
We were on the old South Bank. I remember the ground seemed massive compared to HR. It was one of my first away games but the very first was a 2-2 draw at Villa the season before.

Irish Sky Blue

Certainly he signed Hutchison and Stein, both signed on the same day and made their debut in a 3-2 win against Man City. He knew Hutch from their time together at Blackpool.
Collier signed for Portland Timbers and as I remember it,they paid the exact same fee to us as we paid Bristol City (£320k ?)

Grendel

Certainly he signed Hutchison and Stein, both signed on the same day and made their debut in a 3-2 win against Man City. He knew Hutch from their time together at Blackpool.
Collier signed for Portland Timbers and as I remember it,they paid the exact same fee to us as we paid Bristol City (£320k ?)

I never believed the collier fee it was all far too convenient and his career in the US ended up with him being paid up for 5,000 dollars

Grendel

tbf the US was over-monied at that time - hence why their pro league went pop!

A particularly eclectic set of players ended up over there!

I doubt we received hardly any of the money - they went bust in 18 months after signing. We allegedly paid £350k for bakayoko - I doubt we’ve paid even £100k

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

I never believed the collier fee it was all far too convenient and his career in the US ended up with him being paid up for 5,000 dollars

Collier was sold for £40,000 more than we paid for him. Bristol City wanted to resign Collier, but he chose to go to Portland Timbers who were managed by Don Megson (father of Gary and manager at The Gas when Collier was at Bristol City). These are things that were widely reported at the time, yet you don't believe them - what else don't you believe that has been widely reported, do you think 9/11 didn't happen, perhaps you believe Elvis is still alive and that England didn't win the 1966 world cup?

As for the $5,000 paid up contract claim, that's more made up bollocks - you need to stop with the lying. Gary Collier was traded part way through the 1987 season for $5,000 when he was 32. The 1987 move wasn't the end of Gary's career, he played on the next season and occasionally turned out for the first team when he became a coach a couple of years later.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

People don't seem to realise that Gordon Milne arrived as 'Team Manager' before the 1972-3 season. I think the Joe Mercer thing confuses them.

We paid £325,000 for Gary Collier (it was under 'freedom of contract' and was the first fee decided at tribunal). Bristol City then wanted to resign him, but he went to Portland for £365,000 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread