Most goals by of City player in first team match (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Collier was sold for £40,000 more than we paid for him.
Can you show me the accounts that back up the statement?

These are things that were widely reported at the time, yet you don't believe them - perhaps you believe Elvis is still alive

Surely you believe that - its in a newspaper

As for the $5,000 paid up contract claim, that's more made up bollocks - you need to stop with the lying. Gary Collier was traded part way through the 1987 season for $5,000 when he was 32.

So it was true - perhaps he was homesick

wantageskyblue

We were on the old South Bank. I remember the ground seemed massive compared to HR. It was one of my first away games but the very first was a 2-2 draw at Villa the season before.
The South Bank was to our left and it seemed to me that there was trouble up there most of the game; it was back in the day when there was little or no segregation. As a 14yo kid I was glad to be in the seats.

Irish Sky Blue

I never believed the collier fee it was all far too convenient and his career in the US ended up with him being paid up for 5,000 dollars
I never believed the collier fee it was all far too convenient and his career in the US ended up with him being paid up for 5,000 dollars early days of the NASL so not totally unrealistic.
They certainly paid some inflated fees in the early days of the NASL.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

People don't seem to realise that Gordon Milne arrived as 'Team Manager' before the 1972-3 season. I think the Joe Mercer thing confuses them.

We paid £325,000 for Gary Collier (it was under 'freedom of contract' and was the first fee decided at tribunal). Bristol City then wanted to resign him, but he went to Portland for £365,000 instead.
Yes, the way I remember it too.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Can you show me the accounts that back up the statement?

If you'd had an education you would be able to find things for yourself. Just to help you, I'll give you some clues.... try looking at the Birmingham Daily Post for 24 August 1979 and the Sunday People for 2 March 1980.

So it was true - perhaps he was homesick

I know you never saw either of them, so I should explain Gary Collier and Dave Jones are different people.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

I doubt we received hardly any of the money - they went bust in 18 months after signing. We allegedly paid £350k for bakayoko - I doubt we’ve paid even £100k

I seem to recall the rules on transfers in those days required settlement of fees before international clearance was granted. So your 'doubt' sounds like more supposition (in other words, more bollocks).

Grendel

If you'd had an education you would be able to find things for yourself. Just to help you, I'll give you some clues.... try looking at the Birmingham Daily Post for 24 August 1979 and the Sunday People for 2 March 1980.

I know you never saw either of them, so I should explain Gary Collier and Dave Jones are different people.

the daily post isn’t the accounts

Grendel

I seem to recall the rules on transfers in those days required settlement of fees before international clearance was granted. So your 'doubt' sounds like more supposition (in other words, more bollocks).

Can you provide any evidence of that and that it was even the fee in the first place?

Articles from the People don’t count

Grendel

Keep thinking of those goal scorers.

As for the swerve off-topic, it seems there is always a lurking twat who wants an argument and to suck the fun out of everything.

Actually it was you who took the thread off course with your bizarre hatred of Dave Sexton a manager with an infinitely better record in the UK than Milne

ovduk78

The South Bank was to our left and it seemed to me that there was trouble up there most of the game; it was back in the day when there was little or no segregation. As a 14yo kid I was glad to be in the seats.
There was a walkway between upper & lower terraces and we were in the upper terrace with a line of police on the walkway. There was some trouble but we kept ourselves away from it. It was the same at Villa and we were segregated in the old Whitton end, the scary thing was getting out as I had never been in a crowd of over 40,000 before and just went were everyone else was going.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Can you provide any evidence of that and that it was even the fee in the first place?

Articles from the People don’t count

You asked for an article, you got given a reference to one.

You were wrong, as you so often are.

Now stop making yourself look even more of a prick than you really are.

Grendel

You asked for an article, you got given a reference to one.

You were wrong, as you so often are.

Now stop making yourself look even more of a prick than you really are.

I asked for the accounts. Not an article from a journalist. Can you provide evidence? I mean it’s desperate - homesick players, players at 16 don’t count, Martin singleton - it’s random. Are you related to Gerry Daly as you seem to have a big chip on your shoulder about him.

You really are a very strange chap. Are you and Danny Thomas “friends” 😉

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Actually it was you who took the thread off course with your bizarre hatred of Dave Sexton a manager with an infinitely better record in the UK than Milne

Dave Sexton win rate at Coventry City = 31.25%

Gordon Milne win rate at Coventry City = 34.40%

Sexton's win rate at other clubs is hardly anything to write home about either, he's second bottom in a list of the last 10 Manchester United managers and he hardly fares well in a list of Chelsea managers either.

A significant portion of Gordon Milne's later managerial career was spent outside the UK so your comparison of their UK records is absurd. It is like me saying Milne's record in Turkey or Japan is way better than Sexton's. Funny how Sexton was never employed as a club manager again after leaving Coventry despite being just 53 when he left (remind me, how old was Fergie when he finally left Manchester United, or how old was Arsene Wenger when he left Arsenal, or Gordon Milne when he left Trabzonspor).

No hatred, Sexton was a poor manager for Coventry and did not fit well with a small club that has limited resources. A manager at Manchester United might have a squad large enough to be able to leave a player out because of personal animosity, but that doesn't work at a side like Coventry City. He also mismanaged the situation with the younger players when Garry Thompson departed, which led to several of them wanting to leave.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sexton's win rate at other clubs is hardly anything to write home about either, he's second bottom in a list of the last 10 Manchester United managers and he hardly fares well in a list of Chelsea managers either.

A significant portion of Gordon Milne's later managerial career was spent outside the UK so your comparison of their UK records is absurd. It is like me saying Milne's record in Turkey or Japan is way better than Sexton's. Funny how Sexton was never employed as a club manager again after leaving Coventry despite being just 53 when he left (remind me, how old was Fergie when he finally left Manchester United, or how old was Arsene Wenger when he left Arsenal, or Gordon Milne when he left Trabzonspor).

No hatred, Sexton was a poor manager for Coventry and did not fit well with a small club that has limited resources. A manager at Manchester United might have a squad large enough to be able to leave a player out because of personal animosity, but that doesn't work at a side like Coventry City. He also mismanaged the situation with the younger players when Garry Thompson departed, which led to several of them wanting to leave.

You're wasting your time with that guy.

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

I asked for the accounts. Not an article from a journalist. Can you provide evidence? I mean it’s desperate - homesick players, players at 16 don’t count, Martin singleton - it’s random. Are you related to Gerry Daly as you seem to have a big chip on your shoulder about him.

You really are a very strange chap. Are you and Danny Thomas “friends” 😉

You're the desperate one.

Asking for accounts to address a question on a football forum, meanwhile you make up absolute bollocks with absolutely no evidence to back it up at all.

I was indifferent to you, but now I can see what an absolute prick you are.

Grendel

I said sextons win rate in the uk so once again you show your inability to read what was said. Of course it matters. What next? Managing a club in Malta is a measure of ability?

You’ve blathered on like a windbag. He didn’t mismanaging anything - the chairman did that

Man you are utterly clueless

Grendel

You're the desperate one.

Asking for accounts to address a question on a football forum, meanwhile you make up absolute bollocks with absolutely no evidence to back it up at all.

I was indifferent to you, but now I can see what an absolute prick you are.

Financial accounts are evidence you cretin

Grendel

If he's wrong he moves the goalposts, changes the subject or disappears. Best to save your energy.

Where am I wrong out of interest? It’s obvious he’s on the wind up and has never seen us play - he’s probably a Leicester fan

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

I said sextons win rate in the uk so once again you show your inability to read what was said. Of course it matters. What next? Managing a club in Malta is a measure of ability?

You’ve blathered on like a windbag. He didn’t mismanaging anything - the chairman did that

Man you are utterly clueless

No, you've quoted data that provides an irrelevant comparison.

Hill wasn't coaching the players or picking the team, nor was he managing the playing staff day to day - that was Sexton. It was Sexton that put together an appalling run or results as manager, not Hill.

You're the windbag, mostly because you talk out of your arse.

You're an utterly clueless liar.

Brighton Sky Blue

He probably says 5 - 3 - 2 as well - God you made a fool of yourself blathering about that.

You mean the time you laughed it off and we saved a point against Norwich and Derby with it? Or when we took Rotherham to pieces with Max up front and you were otherwise occupied?

Hasn't gone unnoticed that you're now going on about dropping the 'possession football' since we haven't conceded from open play using wing backs since Watford. Pales in comparison to strongly hinting for the manager to be sacked after barely 10 games.

Irish Sky Blue

Oops

Extract from an article on Coventry's International players published in PUSB! (the club programme).

By this time Tommy – and Tony Green who went to Newcastle – were the outstanding Blackpool players of the day. Having been his team-mate at Bloomfield Road Coventry manager Gordon Milne knew the talent he was buying when he turned Tommy Sky Blue in October 1972, Billy Rafferty going the other way in part-exchange

Grendel

You mean the time you laughed it off and we saved a point against Norwich and Derby with it? Or when we took Rotherham to pieces with Max up front and you were otherwise occupied?

Hasn't gone unnoticed that you're now going on about dropping the 'possession football' since we haven't conceded from open play using wing backs since Watford. Pales in comparison to strongly hinting for the manager to be sacked after barely 10 games.

I never said sack him. He’s adjusted to the game plan we needed - we’ve stopped conceding goals - you were still whining on Saturday about the formation

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Extract from an article on Coventry's International players published in PUSB! (the club programme).

By this time Tommy – and Tony Green who went to Newcastle – were the outstanding Blackpool players of the day. Having been his team-mate at Bloomfield Road Coventry manager Gordon Milne knew the talent he was buying when he turned Tommy Sky Blue in October 1972, Billy Rafferty going the other way in part-exchange

Well researched. Of course, someone will probably come back wanting to see the original player contract or some other such nonsense.

Brighton Sky Blue

I never said sack him. He’s adjusted to the game plan we needed - we’ve stopped conceding goals - you were still whining on Saturday about the formation

You gave yourself the wriggle room in amidst 'I'm not saying sack him but Barnsley and Luton sacked their managers and stayed up' and 'a direct swap with Kenny Jackett would be good for both clubs'. You were going on about it for weeks and I suspect will do again if we enter another bad run.

Then we played some turgid stuff to get draws which you like when it's with 4 at the back but criticise when it's with 5. Now you've dropped calling 5 at the back suicide and have switched to putting it down just to playing style. My issue on Saturday was we had Walker struggling on his own up front because he can't win much in the air and we were poor in possession.

We're conceding fewer goals because we're cutting out the mistakes at the back and Ostigard is bossing the set pieces. Then games like Rotherham happen and of course it's radio silence

Grendel

We're conceding fewer goals because we're cutting out the mistakes at the back and Ostigard is bossing the set pieces. Then games like Rotherham happen and of course it's radio silence

Clueless

Users who are viewing this thread