MOT Expired (1 Viewer)

napolimp

I just realised my MOT certificate expired 3 weeks ago. I really need my car tomorrow and this weekend, anyone know if it's a big risk to drive without MOT? I don't think I'll be able to get it done tomorrow. Thanks.

Grendel

You’d get a FPN and 3 points. It is likely to be £100

Biggest problem is if you have an accident as insurers may say the policy is invalid

Sbarcher

Can you get one booked in online. You should be ok if it’s booked.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I just realised my MOT certificate expired 3 weeks ago. I really need my car tomorrow and this weekend, anyone know if it's a big risk to drive without MOT? I don't think I'll be able to get it done tomorrow. Thanks.

Living out the country I totally forgot to update mine last year and it overran by a few months. Genuinely didn't have a clue. The garage said I was probably lucky, but at the same time if you have it booked in, even if you get pulled over, the police will not have an issue if you can prove that it is in the calendar. I would get it booked and not worry too much!

napolimp

Living out the country I totally forgot to update mine last year and it overran by a few months. Genuinely didn't have a clue. The garage said I was probably lucky, but at the same time if you have it booked in, even if you get pulled over, the police will not have an issue if you can prove that it is in the calendar. I would get it booked and not worry too much!

Great, thanks for this. Trying to get it booked now.

rob9872

I don't want that, and I've lucked out so far, so I'll leave it at home. Thanks
Fair play, just not worth it. If the worst did happen and even if it wasn't your fault, you'd not only be prosecuted but not forgive yourself either.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It’s a myth - the police will still issue the fine and the real issue is insurance

They won't. A fine will not get issued if it is booked in unless the copper is either having the worst day of their life or you've done something to piss them off.

The insurance may well be a problem however.

Grendel

I'm definitely insured, just checked.

Yes but in an accident the vehicles roadworthiness will be the valuation of it and it’s then not legally roadworthy

Sick Boy

I'm thinking more in the sense I haven't forgotten about renewing insurance, so when I have my mot I'll be OK. In the meantime have to hope haven't been picked up by one of those cameras.
I think they’re more common on motorways; I’ve not driven in the UK for 5 years though

PVA

They won't. A fine will not get issued if it is booked in unless the copper is either having the worst day of their life or you've done something to piss them off.

The insurance may well be a problem however.

You can only drive to an MOT test or to a garage to have work carried out.

So the copper should issue a fine if he's following the law!

skybluetony176

Are there many in Coventry?
Couldn’t tell you but along with fixed cameras pretty much every police vehicle has one. The fixed ones tend to be strategically placed where they’ll generate the most income so areas where there’s high amounts of traffic, roads leading to areas there’s possibly a high concentration of motoring offenders etc.

napolimp

Couldn’t tell you but along with fixed cameras pretty much every police vehicle has one. The fixed ones tend to be strategically placed where they’ll generate the most income so areas where there’s high amounts of traffic, roads leading to areas there’s possibly a high concentration of motoring offenders etc.

Just got to hope for the best then I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread