MOT Expired (1 Viewer)

Marty

I forget mine every year, drive down the M6/A45 daily, had police behind me with expired MOT. Never been stopped or issued a fine. Don't worry about it.

clint van damme

I forget mine every year, drive down the M6/A45 daily, had police behind me with expired MOT. Never been stopped or issued a fine. Don't worry about it.

I doubt the police check the MOT status of every car in front of them!

PVA

Don't they have an automatic deely that scans the number plate? I think it pings if there is anything amiss (no insurance, tax, MoT, criminal activity etc).

No not all police cars. I think it's probably only a fairly small number that have it. Your standard police car won't I don't think, it'll just be those that are used specifically for tackling driving crimes I'd imagine - the 'traffic cops'.

Last edited:

Nuskyblue

No not all police cars. I think it's probably only a fairly small number that have it. Your standard police car won't, it'll just be those that are used specifically for tackling driving crimes I'd imagine - the 'traffic cops'.
All of them nowadays isn't it 😅

hamertime

I just realised my MOT certificate expired 3 weeks ago. I really need my car tomorrow and this weekend, anyone know if it's a big risk to drive without MOT? I don't think I'll be able to get it done tomorrow. Thanks.
Highly likely you would get away with it. I drive for a living and had a van Mot expired by 2 months it was in London 2 days a week and driven everyday nothing happened.

duffer

Fwiw I got pulled a few years ago, driving without a MOT. By a traffic car with ANPR on the M42/A42, unless it's changed since then I don't think regular response cars have ANPR fitted, but I could be wrong.

It was a genuine mistake, and it was a good six months out of date (I genuinely thought I'd sorted the ticket when I'd taxed the car).

Anyway, no huge grief from the copper, fixed penalty notice (£60 then, £100 now, iirc). If you had a bump I suspect the insurers might quibble, but the police didn't even mention it.

duffer

ANPR cameras are present in a lot of garages nowadays !

They are, but I don't think they're used for driving offences like this, mostly to discourage and prosecute bilking, I suspect. I'd probably done 10,000 miles before I got pulled...

napolimp

I just went online to try and pay my tax on the vehicle, due beginning of August, and it says I can't because the vehicle doesn't have a valid MOT certificate. So how did you guys who drove without valid MOT manage to tax your vehicle? I'm pretty sure you can't get away with just not paying tax or declaring SORN.

Grendel

I just went online to try and pay my tax on the vehicle, due beginning of August, and it says I can't because the vehicle doesn't have a valid MOT certificate. So how did you guys who drove without valid MOT manage to tax your vehicle? I'm pretty sure you can't get away with just not paying tax or declaring SORN.

No you can’t tax a car with no MOT but it may already in other peoples cases have a road fund licence before the MOT expired

NorthernWisdom

Get mot now, tax car end next June, and that allows nearly a year without mot if you forget to do it

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I thought most phones these days have a calendar? Simple enough to put a reminder in for things like doctors appointments, meetings and yes, even the date for your next MoT. Set the reminder for a week or so before.

duffer

You can't, in a nutshell. But you can tax it just before the MOT runs out.

If you sort out an MOT it'll appear within a day on the system I think, and you'll then be able to tax it. You have to pay for the whole month though, so doing it at the start of the month is a better idea financially, but only if you don't need the car for a week or so (apologies if you already know that!).

In the meantime you're really supposed to SORN it. They can issue a fine if the vehicle is neither taxed nor SORN, though I don't know how regularly that happens. I think there's a bit of leeway in that.

Whilst I've definitely been a bit naughty/forgetful in the past, driving without tax *and* MOT might be a bit too risky for me. In theory they could clamp the car where it's parked, if it's on the public road untaxed.

duffer

You sir, need a calendar.

Who needs a calendar when you can have a friendly policeman pull you over to make you aware. 😁

In the old days you'd just get a 7-day "producer" to show your MOT and insurance certificate at the station. No computers then!

It felt like I got pulled so many times when riding bikes that I could've kept a filing cabinet full of them. Easier to just cart everything around in your wallet in those times. At least it made you look rich in the pub. 😄

Dions Dong

Re insurance ,

the lack of MOT wouldn’t invalidate insurance necessarily.

Once the insurers were made aware by the police of the lack of MOT (should they bother to call) the insurers must inform the policy holder by post of their intention to cancel the policy.

This is presuming that having no MOT would invalidate the policy (assuming such a condition is present within the policy).

It cannot be invalidated retrospectively at the scene by an officer and form the basis of another traffic offence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread