Moving House (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Absolutely shite. I still get enraged when I think about my homes previous owners…wankers.

Edit: I moved 5 years ago.
I can defiantly relate to this, I've been in my place over 3 years now and still every time I try to do the slightest little job I find some shit the previous owners did that turns it into a major headache

fernandopartridge

Absolutely shite. I still get enraged when I think about my homes previous owners…wankers.

Edit: I moved 5 years ago.
Yes, my first house was brand new and despite the criticism of new build homes we had no problems with ours.

Current house is a nightmare, even simple redecorating takes an age as you peel back the layers and bodges.

Sky_Blue_Daz

We are in the early process again , ours is on the market and had an offer accepted on another one . We moved into this house in 2015, however the girl we bought the house from changed her mind 2 days before we were due to move in . Took a few days to sort out but got sorted .Still waiting for kharma to bite her on the arse

Hope it all goes through for you ok mate

dutchman

Mine felt more like an eviction than a house move. Citizen were in a hurry to me so they could knock my old place down (which they've yet to do nine months later). I was offline and totally incommunicado for nine days, no phone, no internet, no TV or radio. In some ways that was a blessing. Bizarrely, songs by The Seekers kept playing in my head even though I had no way of knowing Judith Durham had just died.

Otis

When I moved into my first house, the very first day I was there, two door handles just came off in my hand and the garden fence fell down.

I later found out from a neighbour, it was always doing that and the previous owner just had it pulled together with bits of string. 🤦

Everything was wrong with that house. The guy I bought it off was a builder. 🤷

RegTheDonk

When I moved into my first house, the very first day I was there, two door handles just came off in my hand and the garden fence fell down.

I later found out from a neighbour, it was always doing that and the previous owner just had it pulled together with bits of string. 🤦

Everything was wrong with that house. The guy I bought it off was a builder. 🤷
He probably wears a Stetson.

Lad and his wife moved into their first home about 3 months ago. Solicitors couldn't find any paperwork for the extension the previous owner did (he wears a Stetson too). My worry is they bullshitted about having planning permission and although the seller paid for indemnity insurance, something just doesn't sit right.

NorthernWisdom

Lad and his wife moved into their first home about 3 months ago. Solicitors couldn't find any paperwork for the extension the previous owner did (he wears a Stetson too). My worry is they bullshitted about having planning permission and although the seller paid for indemnity insurance, something just doesn't sit right.
How large is the extension? It doesnt come in under permitted development, does it?

olderskyblue

I guess most of us have got some awful tales to tell about moving house, which wont do NW any good to tell the stories on here...

Having said that:

My 1st house, we came back from Honeymoon, expecting to move in. Everything signed etc. The old bat that had sold it refused to move out!! Had to live with my mum for 3 weeks.. not a great start to married life. When my solicitor phoned yet again, to say she was moving that day, I drove from work at lunchtime to check. There was a removal van there woohoo. Went round that night to check, and she had gone, but left the front door wide open,and had taken everything, including all the light bulbs. Thankfully, it was a yale lock, and there was a key in the back door, so soon secured it.

2nd Move. My buyer (mainly his solicitors tbf) acted as if they were in charge of the whole process, and could dictate whatever they wanted, so kept delaying even though the buyer wanted to get in quickly. He and me went to see them to let them know he was going to change firms (apparently it was highly unethical for me to be there too...) They started to act more quickly, but kept throwing stupid spanners in the works. Day came for the move, we had completely packed up by lunchtime, the only thing left in the house was the phone. As I went to get it, it bloody rang. My solicitors called to say there had been a problem, and to wait for them to call back to see where it left us. An anxious hour went by, and the call came back say go ahead, we're all good. phew!

3rd move went great, except.... after unloading all our stuff off the van, we all went down to the chippy to get some grub. When we got back to our new house, I hadn't got the keys !! Quick run back to chippy, and found them in the gutter where i'd parked... phew

I wont mention any more... 😁

NorthernWisdom

Good luck. Moving far?
Not particularly, but the worst thing is the MP's Andrea Leadsom!

Anyway, first have to get to the literal moving, currently at the hurdle of solicitors. Changed for this one from my previous who was pleasant, but painfully slow. This lot are far faster and more efficient but... they seem to be keener that I check everything's in order than they do(!)

RegTheDonk

How large is the extension? It doesnt come in under permitted development, does it?
I'm not sure on the legal bits NW, it was flagged by my lads solicitor which held things up for about a month while the indemnity was sorted out, so fingers crossed it won't be an issue. He's extended on the side about 2m (basically the path up the side of his house) as a long utility room and continued down the side and ended up about 3m into the back garden, widening it out to include a small dining room. We had a simiar thing when we had a conservatory about 15 years ago, the builders measured up and took the front porch into consideration, saying as long as it didn't extend more than x meters in total, we didn't need planning permission.
Not particularly, but the worst thing is the MP's Andrea Leadsom!

Anyway, first have to get to the literal moving, currently at the hurdle of solicitors. Changed for this one from my previous who was pleasant, but painfully slow. This lot are far faster and more efficient but... they seem to be keener that I check everything's in order than they do(!)
This is the thing, I guess. You pay them as the supposed experts to sort all this out for you. Very frustrating that you have to put your trust in a 3rd party with something so valuable and you feel you have to double check their work. Good luck with it though, I'm sure it'll be worth the stress in the end (y)

skyblue1991

England really needs to adopt the Scotland approach where once an offer is accepted it's contractual

I was a nervous wreck when I bought my house. The sellers could have pulled out at any time and after costing thousands in conveyancing and survey fees that cant be recovered. Then again I could have pulled out too so they may well have been equally nervous!

Needs a rethink either way

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

SBAndy

England really needs to adopt the Scotland approach where once an offer is accepted it's contractual

I was a nervous wreck when I bought my house. The sellers could have pulled out at any time and after costing thousands in conveyancing and survey fees that cant be recovered. Then again I could have pulled out too so they may well have been equally nervous!

Needs a rethink either way

It’s interesting. Used to listen to a podcast who also suggested putting the burden of stamp duty/surveys/searches on the seller. It’s an intriguing concept (think part of it also applies in Scotland already).

skyblue1991

It’s interesting. Used to listen to a podcast who also suggested putting the burden of stamp duty/surveys/searches on the seller. It’s an intriguing concept (think part of it also applies in Scotland already).
Think you're right in saying the survey is the responsibility of the seller in Scotland

Buying a house shouldn't be stressful, especially as for most you buy to live, not for profit!

hill83

Surveys are annoying. The house I bought a few years ago was only purchased by the seller 6 months earlier and had a completely up to date full survey ready to go. But of course it can’t be used because people need to make their money.

Same one where there was no certificate of installation for the boiler and the solicitors wanted indemnity insurance to cover it.
So I went online, 2 minute google search. Found the certificate. £5. Emailed it over.
Doing the job for them.

Nick

Administrator
Surveys are annoying. The house I bought a few years ago was only purchased by the seller 6 months earlier and had a completely up to date full survey ready to go. But of course it can’t be used because people need to make their money.

Same one where there was no certificate of installation for the boiler and the solicitors wanted indemnity insurance to cover it.
So I went online, 2 minute google search. Found the certificate. £5. Emailed it over.
Doing the job for them.
Solicitors are fucking useless, not pro active at all.

NorthernWisdom

Surveys are annoying.
Managed to get a voicemail from my surveyor saying to ring him about a couple of 'issues I might want to take into consideration.' Bearing in mind it's now Easter, I don't know until Tuesday if said 'issues' are ones I noticed, or if the bloody house is falling down.

Already tried to buy one of those, don't fancy another one falling through(!)

CCFCSteve

Managed to get a voicemail from my surveyor saying to ring him about a couple of 'issues I might want to take into consideration.' Bearing in mind it's now Easter, I don't know until Tuesday if said 'issues' are ones I noticed, or if the bloody house is falling down.

Already tried to buy one of those, don't fancy another one falling through(!)

Nice to have something to mull (panic) over for Easter…good old surveyors/solicitors !

hopefully all ok

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Doing the job for them.
Seems stupid.

Why not just have the housing equivalent of an MOT, required every 10 years or so.

chiefdave

I was more talking about the local area part of it. I doubt the radon gas levels have changed in 6 months and there’s no sudden river within 500 metres. All they do is fire the exact same documents out each time.
So much was missed when I bought my house. Everyone I've spoken to about it since seems to have a similar story so its pretty clear the current system doesn't work and you're paying for pretty much nothing

The various people I had in to fix stuff all said they get loads of work from people who have just moved into new places and found loads of issues that weren't picked up

hill83

Now we have the internet and the ability to figure things out for ourselves they are going to get found out more and more.

I’d have had to blindly pay £300 for that indemnity insurance 25 years ago. And wouldn’t even be able to question it.

Terry Gibson's perm

When we sold our last house the lady who bought it got the solicitor to do all the searches for some reason I saw them and they were all copies of the ones we had paid for three years before and still had my signature on them.

hill83

When we sold our last house the lady who bought it got the solicitor to do all the searches for some reason I saw them and they were all copies of the ones we had paid for three years before and still had my signature on them.

Exactly the same happened to me

Brighton Sky Blue

Similar thing happened to us, the seller had also paid indemnity insurance but there was no other paperwork. Except for the maps which show a slice of the extension is technically on next door’s land.

Not sure what to do there either

OffenhamSkyBlue

He's extended on the side about 2m (basically the path up the side of his house) as a long utility room and continued down the side and ended up about 3m into the back garden, widening it out to include a small dining room.
Won't fall under general permitted development (not requiring planning permission) - only applies to REAR extensions. We had to get planning permission for a smallish extension at the rear because the original permission on the house carried a condition which prevented use of general permitted development in respect of extensions, roofline and additional windows.

As someone else said, conveyancing solicitors are fucking useless and make everyone's life a misery, working at their own pace when you know damn well things have happened sooner than they tell you.

Good luck NW - we're not moving again!

Ian1779

Random question - just found a set of old deeds from 2 houses ago. What do I do with them?

napolimp

I agree.

I was more talking about the local area part of it. I doubt the radon gas levels have changed in 6 months and there’s no sudden river within 500 metres. All they do is fire the exact same documents out each time.

Hate it when you're relaxing with a beer in your garden in Canley, and the river Sowe suddenly bursts through your fence.

Sky_Blue_Daz

So we are moving out in 2 weeks , the house we are buying has nearly gone through probate, hoping to be in within 3 weeks . Needs a lot of working doing but will start in the new year. Bearing in mind we started the process in the spring I was hoping to be out and in by the end of the summer. Not the best time of year to be moving but it will all be worth it in the end

Users who are viewing this thread