"New ground" latest (1 Viewer)

mark82

What is the due diligence you have to do over the purchase of a plot of land? Isn't it just the land searches usually done by solicitors and approaching the planning authorities? There might of course be a land audit to see if land is suitable and to be carried out by buyer? How long would that take ? Arent the removal or settlement of charges over the property usually the problem of the vendor and settled out of the proceeds? What other due diligence is there? Just curious.

Well, the Bees have a contract to play there so guess its something to do with that.

Would make Sisu even more popular if they made the Bees homeless in the process of screwing us up.

asb

Quite true. The article was written in September - so last month.

CBRE were speaking on behalf of SISU as far back as May. Indeed by that point, they claimed they were close to acquiring a site:

http://www.football.co.uk/coventry_...se_to_acquiring_stadium_site_rss4224420.shtml

May and September are 4 months separated. My guess would be that if they were 'close' in May, they'd have approached at least one council in the period I am assuming the FOI was completed in.

As such, hold a firm view as to the seriousness of this 'venture'

I can't view talk of a new stadium seriously myself, the information continuously fails to add up.

I do wait to be challenged on that by real hard fact, or confirmation by parties not employed by SISU, and not just words designed to give the impression of action. Which is why I original doubted that this was new information.

Houdi

I believe they haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of getting planning permission at Brandon. The locals seem to have plenty of clout, and the road access is notoriously poor, so that alone would kill off the plans. Appeals processes could take years too. So I think the club are using this as a delaying tactic to draw out the process. They can also do their usual trick of blaming everyone else when it goes tits-up.

The other consideration is that the land owners have apparently wanted to sell it for housing for years, but have been unable to get planning permission. The Bees could be the next of the City's sports teams to move, either to Perry Barr or Leicester, or fold altogether.

The whole story is just yet another rehash of a rehash. Sandhu the current owner is on public record as saying that the sale is conditional on the continuation of speedway/stockcar and greyhounds. As has been mentioned previously tickets for the World Stock Final for September 2014 have been on sale for weeks, an event which will probably gross over £500,000. The Bees have recently announced a 'Winter Classic' meeting for December 28th, and apparently tomorrow are announcing their first new signing for the 2014 season.
There is more chance of Fisher eloping with Ann Lucas, than a new football stadium being built a Brandon.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I can't view talk of a new stadium seriously myself, the information continuously fails to add up.

I do wait to be challenged on that by real hard fact, or confirmation by parties not employed by SISU, and not just words designed to give the impression of action. Which is why I original doubted that this was new information.

Yup. Allied the above to the wider context of the continued JV action. Since when have SISU had an interest in the propriety of public/private partnership investments?

What is the due diligence you have to do over the purchase of a plot of land? Isn't it just the land searches usually done by solicitors and approaching the planning authorities? There might of course be a land audit to see if land is suitable and to be carried out by buyer? How long would that take ? Arent the removal or settlement of charges over the property usually the problem of the vendor and settled out of the proceeds? What other due diligence is there? Just curious.

You would put in a planning application to the local council to see if they will grant planning permission for a football stadium before you buy the land.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

You would put in a planning application to the local council to see if they will grant planning permission for a football stadium before you buy the land.

Or the seller might seek outline permission as it would influence the value of what they were selling?!? But neither party before transaction? Come on FFS...

duffer

Is just me, or does this article basically read as a crappy bit of SISU PR saying, "We still don't have a stadium, or even a plausible plan for one. Nothing's really moved on any of the sites that we were really, really close to buying a few months ago. We're still definitely going to build a new stadium though, honest. Oh yes. We've moved on. Apart from the JR and our demands for the keys to the Ricoh that is, obviously."

What a crock.

He only asked if official approaches had been made. At what point would a council call it an official approach? when an application is submitted?

Having said this on something the size of a stadium anything other than an official approach will not get you anywhere.

If a application is submitted the council will have to make it public.

sky blue john

Even if Sisu buy some land it doesn't mean that i will start going to watch the team at sadfields. Still will be just away games for me !!!!

covcity4life

THIS SHIT WILL NEVER ENDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

at least maybe our sixfields form will lead to double promotion in the mean time :)

SkyBlueSid

THIS SHIT WILL NEVER ENDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

at least maybe our sixfields form will lead to double promotion in the mean time :)

That would be a very interesting scenario. If we did a Southampton/Norwich and got into the Premier League, there is no way, surely, that Sixfields would be approved as a Premier stadium. It could even coincide with the host club being in the Conference.

So where would SISU be able to find a stadium suitable for Premier League football in the Coventry area for August 2015? Any ideas......?

chiefdave

If they were to buy the site at Brandon it's clear major road infrastructure improvements would be need. Would it be the case that some of these would be within the control of CCC? Where is the actual boundary?

skybluefred

You are assuming crowds in excess of 2000.

After sisu/s latest high court charade I cannot believe any self respecting SKY BLUE fan will attend another home
game while this motley crew are in charge. Ooop's I forgot RFC.

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

If they were to buy the site at Brandon it's clear major road infrastructure improvements would be need. Would it be the case that some of these would be within the control of CCC? Where is the actual boundary?

TGI Island is the boundary.

Anything happening on the actual island would need CCC approval.

chiefdave

TGI Island is the boundary.

Anything happening on the actual island would need CCC approval.

That could be a problem then. Looking at the access assuming they're going to be routing people from the Coventry side (as that's where you'd expect the majority of traffic to be coming from) it doesn't look like there is the land available to widen the road off the roundabout to Brandon so you'd be looking at creating another exit and a dedicated road around the back of the houses, assuming you could get the land. That's not going to be cheap and will CCC cooperate with changes need to the roundabout and creation of a new junction.

Of course that's in the unlikley event that they ever start work on a stadium!

Sky Blues

The article says:
"Last month, Rugby Borough Council maintained it had still received no approach from any party acting for Coventry City interested in buying the Brandon site.

"The Telegraph has today asked all borough and district councils in Warwickshire bordering Coventry’s administrative boundary whether any approach has been made, for planning or any other purpose."

Update to the update - The article online now says:

Last month, Rugby Borough Council maintained it had still received no approach from any party acting for Coventry City interested in buying the Brandon site.

Today, a spokesman said: “Rugby Borough Council has been approached by a representative working on behalf of Coventry City Football Club.”

The council refused to say if the approach related to Brandon or another site.

The Telegraph has today asked all borough and district councils in Warwickshire bordering Coventry’s administrative boundary whether any approach has been made, for planning or any other purpose.

shmmeee

Update to the update - The article online now says:

Last month, Rugby Borough Council maintained it had still received no approach from any party acting for Coventry City interested in buying the Brandon site.

Today, a spokesman said: “Rugby Borough Council has been approached by a representative working on behalf of Coventry City Football Club.”

The council refused to say if the approach related to Brandon or another site.

The Telegraph has today asked all borough and district councils in Warwickshire bordering Coventry’s administrative boundary whether any approach has been made, for planning or any other purpose.

I heard Rugby had been asked informally and told them to do one, take with as much salt as you like.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Would Brandon be covered by Warwickshire Police....... will they have the man power and resources to cover the policing of matches? ...... they are already stretched because of the cut backs. Is that another possible objection/problem?

stupot07

Would Brandon be covered by Warwickshire Police....... will they have the man power and resources to cover the policing of matches? ...... they are already stretched because of the cut backs. Is that another possible objection/problem?

Yes, and yes. They have a cross border partnership with Mercia Police plus they work cross boarder to help WM police on ccfc Ricoh match days on hi profile games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse and spelling or grammar errors :)

AJB1983

Sooner or later sisu are going to have to follow through with the building of this new stadium, like they did with the ground share, just to try and save face.
I would imagine despite their want to have CCFC back there, ACL wouldn't have a problem with them building there own ground.
As someone's already said, the continued legal action against the council for effectively securing the future of the ground they (used to) play in shows what 'plan a' actually is.

shmmeee

Sooner or later sisu are going to have to follow through with the building of this new stadium, like they did with the ground share, just to try and save face.
I would imagine despite their want to have CCFC back there, ACL wouldn't have a problem with them building there own ground.
As someone's already said, the continued legal action against the council for effectively securing the future of the ground they (used to) play in shows what 'plan a' actually is.

They've never wanted to build the ground. That's why the (completely unexplained from a business POV) decision to not build it in Coventry's borders.

Imagine if they'd said "We'll build a new ground in the city centre, near pubs, easy access for all, oh and it's a bit like HR". The pro-Sisu side would be double or treble what it is now, there was enough residual dislike of the Ricoh and nostalgia of HR for that to persuade a few fans it's a good idea.

What they need is the fans on at the council to give in because otherwise we'll lose our club.

The groundshare is vital for that plan because it shows they would do something as unthinkable as move the club away, it's also needed to get the fan base up in arms.

This is, was and always has been about the Ricoh and nothing else.

thaiskyblue

They've never wanted to build the ground. That's why the (completely unexplained from a business POV) decision to not build it in Coventry's borders.

Imagine if they'd said "We'll build a new ground in the city centre, near pubs, easy access for all, oh and it's a bit like HR". The pro-Sisu side would be double or treble what it is now, there was enough residual dislike of the Ricoh and nostalgia of HR for that to persuade a few fans it's a good idea.

What they need is the fans on at the council to give in because otherwise we'll lose our club.

The groundshare is vital for that plan because it shows they would do something as unthinkable as move the club away, it's also needed to get the fan base up in arms.

spot on, but some people still don't get it ?

The Reverend Skyblue

Exacto mundo schmee

AJB1983

Exactly my point as well they didn't want to ground share, threatened it and had to go through with it as ACL wouldn't budge. I agree with you

Astute

I don't understand why most don't believe that SISU will build a new ground. We need the pie money.

Other than:-

Using Brandon for a place to try and prove they are trying. We all know there are too many problems.

No local councils have been contacted to whether any land would be suitable for use and if planning permission might be given.

Would need a big loan.

JR and now even more legal wranglings going on although they have moved on.

We were told by Timothy that we would know about the plans for the stadium within a few weeks.......months ago.

Lack of land with a road structure and surrounding area to cope and not have residents complain.

The last time Joy spoke was at Les and she admitted they have lied to us.

The list could go on even more. But still is there any reason not to believe them?

BrakesFan

6 miles from Cov council house is a long way, reckon that would include all of Kenilworth and probably as far as Cubbington. Don't let the locals there hear about Fisher's plans, they ain't even got over HS2 yet!

stupot07

6 miles from Cov council house is a long way, reckon that would include all of Kenilworth and probably as far as Cubbington. Don't let the locals there hear about Fisher's plans, they ain't even got over HS2 yet!

Clubbingtons 9.5 miles, kennilworth a 7.9 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse and spelling or grammar errors :)

Snozz_is_god

Is just me, or does this article basically read as a crappy bit of SISU PR saying, "We still don't have a stadium, or even a plausible plan for one. Nothing's really moved on any of the sites that we were really, really close to buying a few months ago. We're still definitely going to build a new stadium though, honest. Oh yes. We've moved on. Apart from the JR and our demands for the keys to the Ricoh that is, obviously."

What a crock.

I don't even think this has come from anything SISU have said or issue recently

supergonk

Buying the Brandon site does make some sense. Crowds of 2,000 - 2,500 will not be a logistical nightmare. All revenue will belong to the club. The stadium can still be rented out for motor sports and greyhound racing.
The probability is that some players will be sold in Jan, and the accounts will again not be filed, leading to another embargo; thus ensuring another season in league 1.
The Ricoh is/was and always will be the goal. Brandon will ultimately be either the new centre for the academy, or will be sold on at a profit.

Does anyone know when the matchday catering rights for the Ricoh were sold? Did it have any bearing on sisu refusing to buy the stadium?

Users who are viewing this thread