New Manager (1 Viewer)

steve82

If this club is serious about staying in league one then this is good news.
Would explain why things have been quiet last 2 days.

rupert_bear

I have had my say on Russel Slade and if it's true I'll be okay with it, if it's until end of the season so what, many new managers don't last that long ! Still makes me wonder if something's afoot though.

January is going to be very interesting.

steve82

I have had my say on Russel Slade and if it's true I'll be okay with it, if it's until end of the season so what, many new managers don't last that long ! Still makes me wonder if something's afoot though.

January is going to be very interesting.

Out of the possible likely managers this one I'm most optimistic about.

Captain Dart

Also the talk of being an international, winning things, being captain etc. is irrelevant.

Bryan Robson
Tony Adams
Paul Ince
Bobby Moore
Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hurst

All mighty fine players, all rubbish managers and the list goes on and on and on.

Completely different set of skills needed for being a manger compared to being a player.
TO be fair Sam Ricketts isn't a player who would be in a million miles of a list like that.
Plus Ince & Robson were not that awful at management, poor yes but not godawful.

fernandopartridge

Also the talk of being an international, winning things, being captain etc. is irrelevant.

Bryan Robson
Tony Adams
Paul Ince
Bobby Moore
Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hurst

All mighty fine players, all rubbish managers and the list goes on and on and on.

Completely different set of skills needed for being a manger compared to being a player.

Yeah, add McAllister to that list too.

I do wonder if one of the problems with managers who were previously top players is that their expectations of what players can do aren't ever matched by the resources at their disposal.

rondog1973

If he made the all time team on here then it seems that most would disagree with you. I would put Glazier second and Blyth third in my list, both good goalkeepers who I enjoyed watching. I liked Westwood too who I think is the best keeper we have had since top flight days. I didn't rate Hedman at all, too keen to keep his good looks. Didn't put his head in where it hurts like the other keepers here but particularly Oggie.
Exactly. Remember an away game at Millwall. We were 2-1 up with about 10 to go and Dennis Wise scored with a curling free kick for them. Herman could have easily saved it had he not been too afraid of colliding with the post on doing so. Only was never an oil painting. But his ugliness was definitely exacerbated by his bravery!

ccfc92

You say not spectacular... I'd say he's the league one/two Jose Mourinho. He gets that little bit extra out of lower league average players. A proven man. The stand out candidate at this moment in time.

Russell Slade is done that got the t-shirt man when it comes to saving teams who are in relegation threatened spots... 3 times.

A genius when it comes to dealing in the "free market" and lower division players

Can operate on not even on so much as a shoe string.

Proven manager when it comes to building competitive squads from scratch

Nearly transformed all his clubs into play off candidates not just league also rans and relegation material

Has a habit of half decent cup runs...

Managed nearly 15 years in the football league, namely at league one and two.

While I take your points on board about Sam Ricketts yes he's a unknown quantity in management, if he was to be the manager I'm sure we'd just get on with supporting him and if he failed.... well it was a difficult task anyway for any manager.

He's had a good playing career mainly at championship and premier league level, and started in league 2 early in his career and even played in the conference, tho more recently at league one and like you say a international player, would it be more ideal for him to assist a established manager to see the actual full hands on roll of a manager tho we'd be more likely simply offer the roll of head coach and let MV do the rest if it was to come about.

Sam could well be a good manager as this is the level for managers to start there careers, yes we are that type of club now.

Question is.... is this the right club and first job such a rookie manager??

I'd rather him over any other rookie as he's been around the club and no's the squad so should be more advanced in his knowledge of this squad and its short falls.

BUMP

(Sorry Steve ;) :))

Last edited:

ccfc92

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :(

Many were calling for Slade.

Was it him, or the team?

Some say he's made the team worse, so surely it was Slade?

Otis

Maybe 'a genius dealing in the free market' is over-egging the pudding somewhat. ;)

steve82

BUMP

(Sorry Steve ;) :))

Ha ha, it's ok!! I'm big enough to smile and say it didn't work out.... I was waiting quietly to say that Russell slades never won at Wembley too, failed in 3 attempts.
It's ok I'm happy to admit he didn't produce what we'd all hoped, his cv gave us hope and this is football and we are Coventry City.
Hopefully the "man of choice" will be in charge ASAP to assemble a squad for the 17/18 campaign.

Otis

Ha ha, it's ok!! I'm big enough to smile and say it didn't work out.... I was waiting quietly to say that Russell slades never won at Wembley too, failed in 3 attempts.
It's ok I'm happy to admit he didn't produce what we'd all hoped, his cv gave us hope and this is football and we are Coventry City.
Hopefully the "man of choice" will be in charge ASAP to assemble a squad for the 17/18 campaign.
Or the 18/19 one, or the 19/20 one, or the 20/21 one, one, or......

ccfc92

Fair play to you :)

Much prefer this bashful "I was wrong" to posters moving the goalposts :)

Like you say, hopefully we have a clean slate, new manager, better players to storm League 2.

However, we are Coventry City...

steve82

Fair play to you :)

Much prefer this bashful "I was wrong" to posters moving the goalposts :)

Like you say, hopefully we have a clean slate, new manager, better players to storm League 2.

However, we are Coventry City...

No mate, bold enough to hold my hands up. I did after Bury too. Formation we chose over the selections had me baffled. Goes to show he was out of ideas to turn us around.
So on to the next man!!
I'm opting to not publicly back any new manager on this occasion

ccfc92

No mate, bold enough to hold my hands up. I did after Bury too. Formation we chose over the selections had me baffled. Goes to show he was out of ideas to turn us around.
So on to the next man!!
I'm opting to not publicly back any new manager on this occasion

Same here...

giphy.gif

steve82

So what the options??
Sam Ricketts
Nicky Eaden
Martin Allen
Andy Morrell
Greg Abbott
Ron Bradbury or Brendon Phillips... one for the older heads on here!

sky_blue_up_north

Gary Rowett but I guess he would not touch us with a barge pole

oucho

Hope the club takes its time to consider all the applicants before makibg a hire.

steve82

Would love Andy Morrell here based on his win ratio.

Two clubs, both over 50%.

He's done his years learning the mistakes at Tamworth but Tamworth are semi pro not full time I believe.. could be wrong tho.
Slightly different game at that level in respect to player recruitment. If it don't work you or they find the door easy and move on. Professional football your tied in by a contract.... still a better choice in my book to Sam Ricketts. Tho what do it know...

Users who are viewing this thread