Oggy (2 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

I'm sorry, I don't dislike Burge as much as some in fact I'm one of the few on here who have given him the benefit of doubt and pointed out what I believe to be his attributes and took flack for it (including on this very thread) and even I am willing to admit that Burge has reached the pinnacle of his ability and most likely career and I say that as a poster who doesn't have a reputation for bashing our players. If you really believe he could improve under a different coach then fair enough, personally I don't see it. The only thing I can see improving Burge's record is a competent defence who aren't prone to stupid errors that ask to much of the goalie. But then you could say the same about any goalie. As far as I'm aware that's not down to the goal keeping coach.

I don't recall but who was the goalie coach when Oggy was in goal because Oggy's kicking wasn't exactly that clever. If you said Oggy isn't the bed person to coach his kicking based on Oggy's own kicking I wouldn't necessarily disagree but someone else can always assist with this or maybe (like Oggy) kicking is his weakness that you either except as a compromise because no amount of kicking practice is going to show drastic improvement.

Maybe MR will be another manager to realise that it's the recruitment and the level of goalies coming through the youth set up that is the issue and not the coaching that's the issue and change nothing as sentiment actually has nothing to do with it. I admit I don't know but then by the same token neither do you. You're as privy as I am as to what goes on behind the scenes. Difference between me and you is I don't assume to be correct.

From memory Oggy struggled with two things kicking and crosses and Burge has the same issues, Rcc makes rushed decisions

Joy Division

Agree but you miss the rest of what I said. Those keepers you mention had more natural talent, requiring less coaching. What we have now are poor less talented keepers and yet Oggy has either lost his way and coaching ability or failed to point out we need new keepers instead of persisting with failures we have. Like a manager Oggy has over time begun to fail...comes to all eventually. Someone needs to tell him.

No amount of training can improve a player if he has not got enough natural talent.

You've kind of answered your own question.

Paxman II

You've kind of answered your own question.

Lets be clear.
1. Oggy's failure is not being able to eradicate simple errors in our goal keepers.
He has lost his ability to coach successfully, much the same way as a manager does over time.
2. It also demonstrates his failure to request bringing in a new keeper as an absolute requirement if he feels the keepers are not good enough.
We all clearly see they are not good enough and have not improved under his tutelage.

Either way in my opinion, he has not been full filling his job description to a level expected for quite some time.

He should be sacked. I don't care who he is, legend or not. There is no room for sentiment. We need a fresh approach and a clear out of all who have resided over our demise in recent seasons. That includes players and coaching staff. We must have new thinking and new approaches, and I sincerely hope Mark Robins realises this and acts quickly in the close season to find and appoint the coaching staff and players he needs for a clean slate when we begin in league 2.

Joy Division

Lets be clear.
1. Oggy's failure is not being able to eradicate simple errors in our goal keepers.
He has lost his ability to coach successfully, much the same way as a manager does over time.
That's Burges failure to not learn. Has he lost his ability to coach successfully? You don't know that.
2. It also demonstrates his failure to request bringing in a new keeper as an absolute requirement if he feels the keepers are not good enough.
We all clearly see they are not good enough and have not improved under his tutelage.
How do you know he hasn't already?

If he was to be replaced I wouldn't be that fussed tbh. It just seems that your answer to the shit state the club is in at the moment is to sack the goalkeeper coach when there are far more important issues to address.

If he was that bad previous managers would have brought in their own.

Nick

Administrator
That's Burges failure to not learn. Has he lost his ability to coach successfully? You don't know that.

How do you know he hasn't already?

If he was to be replaced I wouldn't be that fussed tbh. It just seems that your answer to the shit state the club is in at the moment is to sack the goalkeeper coach when there are far more important issues to address.

If he was that bad previous managers would have brought in their own.

Nobody is saying that it is the answer to all of the issues with the club are they?

Gazolba

Put him out to pasture with the knackered old horses.
You can't live on past glories forever.
There is nothing worse than outstaying your welcome.

higgs

Put him out to pasture with the knackered old horses.
You can't live on past glories forever.
There is nothing worse than outstaying your welcome.
Time for that bent note ex cop to move on 30yrs of overstaying his welcome

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

letsallsingtogether

then you are not paying attention :)
He is because that is how it reads.
Get rid of Oggy and all will be well.
People wake the fuck up.
All the problems at our club and you are all crying about a goalkeeping coach for being unable to make our goalkeepers better.
Our goalkeepers must have the worst defence we have ever had at the City in front of them yet are expected to keep a clean sheet in order for us just to get a draw, fuck me most GK would flap with those useless cunts in front of them.

rupert_bear

I remember similar comments made towards Gary Pendrey when we were struggling in the Premiership under Gordon Strachan. Coaches can only coach who they have in front of them, they don't recruit. We haven't signed a goalkeeper since Joe Murphy that's five managers at least not counting Robins. I have said before goalkeepers are an expensive item wage wise, no coincidence why we have relied on novices for three seasons now.

stevefloyd

Oggy is involved with all aspects of coaching involving the keepers and the outfield players, he is a common denominator in all the relegations but I dont think anyone on here has said he is the reason the club are in such a state, he has been here a long time if people on here thought he was a brilliant coach I am sure there would be more people sticking up for him but they are not.
He is a cog in the running of the club we need a 100% clean out to make a fresh start not sure what sort of respect he commands with the players but the people that have met him are not too complimentary on his persona so I cannot suddenly think as soon as he walks into the training ground he becomes Mr nice guy.. so IMO and many others its time to say thanks and move on

Paxman II

He is because that is how it reads.
Get rid of Oggy and all will be well.
People wake the fuck up.
All the problems at our club and you are all crying about a goalkeeping coach for being unable to make our goalkeepers better.
Our goalkeepers must have the worst defence we have ever had at the City in front of them yet are expected to keep a clean sheet in order for us just to get a draw, fuck me most GK would flap with those useless cunts in front of them.

No one and certainly not me are pointing a finger at Oggy as being the catalyst for all our ills?
I'm addressing the keeper situation at the club regardless of our defenders. Flapping at a cross or dropping the ball at the feet of the opposing striker has nothing to do with defenders, and can certainly be avoided...unless either the keeper is pure rubbish or the coach can't get him to respond to his coaching.
Sorry but Oggy must take a lot of responsibility for our keeper woes along with a succession of managers, and they have all gone while Oggy still remains.

As an aside to that it can also not be ignored, as pointed out by many that Oggy has been fundamentally involved in many areas of coaching and tactics (I've seen it first hand). If we have MR's in charge I want to see him coaching his methods, it is why we brought him in, otherwise why did we not just appoint Oggy?

Users who are viewing this thread