one thing the "keep thorn" brigade needs to understand...... (3 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Do we not have any other scouts? :( Pretty sure we will have people who will go to watch other games for us.

Nonleagueherewecome

Blackpool used the same tactic against us at the Ricoh and that left our fullbacks very exposed particularly Hussey who got absolutely hammered for his performance that day some. It wasnt a new, unknown or even unexpected tactic.

Another manager could do worse could do better - would certainly do it differently in some way or other - we just dont know and have no way of knowing at this moment. Saying no one could do better or that someone will do better is just an opinion not a fact.

AT makes mistakes - we all do. Wanting someone different is just an opinion as is wanting to keep him. Doesnt actually make anyone wrong or right

As for the need to praise - yes credit should be given where credit is due - AT gets criticised if we lose or is perceived to get something wrong, why is that such a surprise ? Yes he should share the praise when we win. But take it away from football and in the workplace or even at home do you get praised everytime for getting something right, or is that praise little and not often. It is unfortunately they way most humans are - quick to criticise slow to praise. It isnt a big issue - on both sides of the AT in or out debate there are plenty of people who show those very human traits. It is only opinions each just as and only as valid as the next

I thought it was Blackpool at The Ricoh Otis was talking about?

Nonleagueherewecome

You not heard of video then? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

OK we either

1) Don't have filming rights
2) Don't have access to the film recorded by SKY. That'd cost money too.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Nick

Administrator
How do goalies do research and watch videos on penalties? I have always wondered if there was a central archive, youTube hasn't always been around.

Otis

How do goalies do research and watch videos on penalties? I have always wondered if there was a central archive, youTube hasn't always been around.

Sorry, Nick, got the impression NLHWC was making out that Thorn was the deaf, dumb and blind kid from Tommy!

Such a shame that Thorn cannot watch the Football League Show on BBC, or cannot hear other managers talking about the opposition, or speak and ask other people how the opposition play.

:facepalm:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I thought it was Blackpool at The Ricoh Otis was talking about?

Yes he was, my mistake :facepalm: but it doesnt actually change anything i said in the post NLHWC :)

General comment
Would also add that in my opinion there isnt one city fan that wants to see the team fail - as AT is inextricably linked to the success or failure of the team no one wants to see him fail either. That doesnt mean that people cannot disagree with how he does things , think that he has made mistakes or voice an opinion that says they dont think he is the right man for the job. Nor does it mean that others should be ridiculed because they wholeheartedly support AT. Its about time folk had a reasoned debate without petty squabbles or challenging other folks support for the team or trying to get rid of those that dont see it your way. There are good points made on both sides of the AT arguement and it is usually healthy debate but some of the posts on many threads on both sides are frankly ridiculous. Its only dots on a screen that probably wont change your own opinion let alone affect anything at CCFC. Get over it

Astute

As for the need to praise - yes credit should be given where credit is due - AT gets criticised if we lose or is perceived to get something wrong, why is that such a surprise ? Yes he should share the praise when we win. But take it away from football and in the workplace or even at home do you get praised everytime for getting something right, or is that praise little and not often. It is unfortunately they way most humans are - quick to criticise slow to praise. It isnt a big issue - on both sides of the AT in or out debate there are plenty of people who show those very human traits. It is only opinions each just as and only as valid as the next

AT sure don't deserve praise every time we win. At the same time he should not get the verbal crap he does everytime we lose. Look at Forest. They have a strong squad. Their manager deserves it much more than AT. Experienced managers are not helping them.

He has been learning as he goes along. Being manager is not just picking a team and watching a game. Half of our squad is so young he is nearly babysitting. The players are giving all they have for him. He must be doing something right. I will save my praise for him until we are safe. It is worth remembering the hand he has been dealt though. He is not as good as some say, but at the same time is nowhere near as bad as others say. At the moment he picks the team when he knows who is fit. We still manage to play well against teams like Leeds.

Would anyone prefer Cotterell to AT?

Otis

To say he's a really good manager is daft. But then so too, to say he's totally crap is equally daft as well.

As you say, the truth lies somewhere inbetween. My concern has always been that's he's a novice and I've felt the situation we are in has called for an older, wiser head.

To be fair to Andy Thorn he does seem to be learning from the big mistakes he was making earlier on in the season and that can only be a good thing. It's vital now though that we get something out of tomorrow's game. Otherwise we are back to square one and the concerns will just raise their ugly head once again.

Simply, we have to go on a run. We haven't had a run of positive results all season long. Even just a run of 3 or 4 unbeaten will show we are heading in the right direction.

Just have this horrible feeling that if we lose tomorrow the knives will be out once more on the back of such a positive win on Tuesday.

torchomatic

Of course the knives will be out after a defeat, they always are. It will be nice and quiet round here if we win though.

A win tomorrow is vital and really everything is in place for us to grab one. They are a poor team (home and away), we are a poor away team but are coming into this game on probably our best performance of the season. If Pompey lose points today that will also give both teams an incentive. Tomorrow's game could well define our whole season.

Otis

Don't think it will be quiet on here if we win though. Think there will be a wave of optimism for a change.

That first away win would be absolutely massive and a monkey off our back.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Disagree with you on the issue of the more experienced manager Otis. Look around us in the league, our peers are doing no better even they have the older heads to which you elude. In some cases, such as Forest, with much better squads at their disposal.

The more pressing issue is the strength of our squad. Compared to last year we've lost so many slithers of quality. Now we have Nimely and Norwood you can see what a little sprinkling can do.

Thorn is making mistakes. Older managers sometimes make mistakes. Better players and a better squad simply allow the manager to paper over the cracks a little better

Otis

Yep, but not talking about those mistakes. I am talking about fundamental school boy errors.

I did also say an older wiser head, not all older wiser heads. Has to be the right one. I wouldn't have had Cotterrill at any price.

covcity4life

Of course the knives will be out after a defeat, they always are. It will be nice and quiet round here if we win though.

A win tomorrow is vital and really everything is in place for us to grab one. They are a poor team (home and away), we are a poor away team but are coming into this game on probably our best performance of the season. If Pompey lose points today that will also give both teams an incentive. Tomorrow's game could well define our whole season.

why do you keep making such immature posts? how old are you

torchomatic

Mr T - Sukka!

If the players are not performing its down to the management team, Thorn and Harrison.

If Thorn and Harrison are not getting performances its down to the owners. If the players are not performing..... and it just goes around again.

Its a collective thing = CCFC - Players, Thorn and Harrison, SISU.

Dont just pick on one element i.e. Andy Thorn.

While there is still a chance we should all be pulling in the same direction, it would give a boost and may help get us out of this mess!

covcity4life

im referring to the "itl be quiet if we win" comments, hes still trying to make fans look bad if they have/do doubt thorn,its pathetic

torchomatic

I don't have to make them do anything. They manage well enough on their own.

Then again, what do you expect? I am in the Keep Thorn Brigade.

im referring to the "itl be quiet if we win" comments, hes still trying to make fans look bad if they have/do doubt thorn,its pathetic

torchomatic

True. Looking forward.

Lloyd

.........is that the "thorn out" brigade dont hate AT and dont WANT him to fail.

if he keeps cov up ill be sooooo happy and respect the man,ive always said he has potential as a manager but its not worth relegation to nurture it, thus myself and others have called for change
its wrong to believe that only AT can keep us up and any other manager would defientley do worse

but anyway back to my my original point,dont act like kids and say i told you so after a win because every cov fan WANTS thorn to succeed,its just some are not sure if he will.

rant over

PUSB

You know I keep reading these posts, I must be crazy to keep coming back here. If CCFC <3 stay up, I will be jumping up and down. I will definately slate certain fans for their ridiculous comments as to why Thorn is so bad and shouldve been sacked.

If we go down, I will be sad, distraught even, just as I was when we were relegated from the Premier League. However I will not blame Thorn entirely because even though he has made mistakes and cost us a few points, it wasn't all of his fault and getting rid of our managers in the past has never proved to help us.

I would much rather have a skipper and gaffer who love our club and will fight with us and for us until the end than some other player / manager who doesn't give a crap about us.

I think Thorn will become an amazing manager over the next season or so, he respects the fans, he respects players, he expects the best from his players, even if his responses in interviews arent against SISU or he "spouts the same shit as everyone else".

I still don't get what more people want from this man, he is learning every game and his tactics are getting better.

In response directly to you CC4L:
"its wrong to believe that only AT can keep us up and any other manager would defientley do worse"

It's wrong to believe that any other manager would do better than Thorn because other "good" managers have done worse ALL season throughout the football league.

and your opening sentence ".........is that the "thorn out" brigade dont hate AT and dont WANT him to fail."

There are some fans on here and at the Ricoh who do hate him and do want him to fail because then they can all turn around and say "I told you we shouldve got rid of him"

Astute

Maybe not trying to make them look bad but telling the truth? Try looking back at posts after a win and after a defeat.

Don't expect AT to get praise every time we win, but there is no need for all the abuse after a defeat either. We all need to pull together. I don't enjoy having to constantly remind a few people how bad our squad is. Some seem to forget so easily though. I see it even more when I see subs for our opponents that would get straight in our 1st team.

Very pissed off at the moment. Can't make game tomorrow. The outlaw is getting out of hospital today. Wife wants to go and see her so can't use wifes car. My car dropped a piston last week. Already had an engine ready to go in as was after more power, but will have to put it in tomorrow morning. At work tonight. Need car for monday morning, and when I go to a game it is a 2 day break for me as I live so far away :mad:

covcity4life

go on ANY clubs forums,there is always more posts when losing,its human nature,outrage is gonna prompt more posts than happiness

just like complaints out number thank you letters etc

Last edited:

Astute

SISU out would be better than AT out. Neither will happen though

ajsccfc

I assume he's not referring to all fans who question Thorn as most are sensible and actually would like their doubts to disappear with Thorn succeeding. There are however a small number of people here who only conveniently pop up at certain times.

Macca

You know I keep reading these posts, I must be crazy to keep coming back here. If CCFC <3 stay up, I will be jumping up and down. I will definately slate certain fans for their ridiculous comments as to why Thorn is so bad and shouldve been sacked.

If we go down, I will be sad, distraught even, just as I was when we were relegated from the Premier League. However I will not blame Thorn entirely because even though he has made mistakes and cost us a few points, it wasn't all of his fault and getting rid of our managers in the past has never proved to help us.

I would much rather have a skipper and gaffer who love our club and will fight with us and for us until the end than some other player / manager who doesn't give a crap about us.

I think Thorn will become an amazing manager over the next season or so, he respects the fans, he respects players, he expects the best from his players, even if his responses in interviews arent against SISU or he "spouts the same shit as everyone else".

I still don't get what more people want from this man, he is learning every game and his tactics are getting better.

"its wrong to believe that only AT can keep us up and any other manager would defientley do worse"

It's wrong to believe that any other manager would do better than Thorn because other "good" managers have done worse ALL season throughout the football league.

and your opening sentence ".........is that the "thorn out" brigade dont hate AT and dont WANT him to fail."

There are some fans on here and at the Ricoh who do hate him and do want him to fail because then they can all turn around and say "I told you we shouldve got rid of him"

I suspect nobody hates thorn. Hate is a ridiculous exaggeration. If anybody does they probably need sectioning

Macca

Seriously it's not quiet on here when we win. When that penalty went in there was communal ejaculation all round

Lloyd

I suspect nobody hates thorn. Hate is a ridiculous exaggeration. If anybody does they probably need sectioning

i agree its an exageration, but so is calling him a shit manager (this is in no way directed at you, unless you've stated that of course..)

Macca

Calling him a shit manager is daft, calling him the best manager we have had for ten years equally so. I suspect the truth is somewhere in between. Still your always going to get silly comments it's a football fans forum hardly a meeting of great minds

ajsccfc

This doesn't really make sense. You're countering a suggestion that a manager exists that could do better, with a point that there are some who've done worse.

Users who are viewing this thread